Millwall wait on striker clearance ahead of crunch clash

STEFAN Maierhofer is back at Millwall.

The striker has signed a contract with the Lions until the end of the season and will travel with the squad to Blackpool on Friday ahead of a possible second debut for the club.

The deal is yet to receive international clearance but Millwall are hopeful that will arrive in time for the Austrian to feature against the Tangerines.

Speaking to the club's official site, Maierhofer said: "It's a good feeling coming back here.

"I have stayed in touch with the gaffer and in the last few days he has called me everyday and said 'come on big man, we need you'.

"I think for me and the way I play, it's very good to be back with this club. I'm big and strong and hope that I can do the same as last time."

Asked about his fitness levels, Maierhofer, who has been playing for Austrian club SC Wiener Neustadt, added: "I have had four games in five weeks and I feel good.

"I feel fit and I will give my best, and 100 per cent. I will give everything every time I wear the jersey."

28 thoughts on “Millwall wait on striker clearance ahead of crunch clash

• January 9, 2015 at 10:44

Is it me or has this man garnered a bit of marmite cult following in recent days? Well love him or hate him and call him what you will - the Hof, Hofmeister, Hofberg, the Hofinator or just plain s**t. This man will give defences a serious headache with his awkward height. Hopefully we now follow this up with a quality pacy striker in near future…

• January 9, 2015 at 11:21

@Bexley_Lion: Good post, I think he is good enough for what we need right now. Gregory, better polish your boots mate, there's gonna be plenty of loose balls dropping at your feet.

• January 9, 2015 at 13:31

@Bexley_Lion: I'm chuffed. The Hof brings something different and is committed to the cause. He is not conventional, he is a one off and if he helps keep us up again then in my book he will be a leg'end!! NOLU

• January 9, 2015 at 10:48

Cannot pretend to be happy but time will tell if this was a good deal or not.As Bexley says if we could back this up with a pacey young goalscorer - plus Cahill on Loan ( what a boost and shot in the arm that would give supporters ) then we could be in with a chance of staying up.

• January 9, 2015 at 11:58

@Longfield Lion
      Longfield i know you are not keen on this guy , but answer me one question .What is it you dont like about him and what did he do last season that lead's you to think he is c r ap? also i ask all the other hof detractor's to answer the question as well and not the usual one word answer he's c r a p ,s h it idiot joker and so on proper answer's only please.
      To be fair i will give SOME of my reason's why i think he should be here.
      1 his 2 goals at midboro =3pts we were not expected to get.
      2 he drew the defender's out of position to allow woolly the space to nip in and head the winner v bournmouth another 3 pts .
      3 If you can remember Martins goal that IH drooled over,again hof drew 2 defender's to the right of the box and Martin coming from the left got the space to get his shot through.
      4 He often took two or even three defender's to mark him leaving space for others.
      5 When the ball is played to him we did not lose control of the ball as quick and as often as we do with fuller.
      6 with a player of his size he can either look fantastic or an absolute pillock,( P. Crouch is a prime example.
      7 By his size alone he gives a presence that gives defenders something to worry about and in doing so takes the pressure off other players in our team
      Things i think that are negative about him.
      1 His ball control lets him down at times.
      2 Sometimes he misses headers i think he should get.
      Im not for one minute saying he was our sole savior last year but along with garven (another one who was abused as being rubbish on NAD) Edwards,and woolford these four played the biggest part in keeping us up last year.
      So come all those who think HOF is bad for us now say why. (no one word answers please)

• January 9, 2015 at 14:27

@jim1222: what did he do last season to lead us to think he is crap?? He scored in 1 game mate! As a striker i dont care what u do for a team if u dont score goals then quite simply ur a s*** striker!! This is a backward step

• January 9, 2015 at 19:25

@LionforLife: so a striker who assists goals every game but never scores would be a s*** striker?

You have a very simplistic view on a strikers role.

• January 9, 2015 at 10:52

I think this is what Gregory and even Fuller have been waiting for..... Welcome back big man!

• January 9, 2015 at 11:02

Not exactly a gifted footballer,but put crosses in the box and he WILL score.Just look at Boro away last season.

• January 9, 2015 at 11:04

Welcome back if you can score & create goals for us iam sure will let wot went on in the summer slide. Ps get a new agent he made u look a mug.

• January 9, 2015 at 19:26

@block 28: a good shift until the end of thes season and that dream move to that big club Fulham could materialise ;)

• January 9, 2015 at 11:05

Well I don't think he's all that. But we do have a promising striker in Gregory that I think could work well with him.
    Got to say he's got guts coming back, so maybe he's as nutty as us supporters.
    I think he's a player that would feed of the fans if given the right support.

• January 9, 2015 at 11:07

This man has got big hate but if you seem him as a direct replacement for Easter then it appears as not that bad business. What the f*** has Easter actually contributed this season. Welcome back the big man

• January 9, 2015 at 11:10

This signing is good as long as the following teo things happen.
    1. IH plays 442
    2. Wingers take people on and/or put crosses into the box.

For too long now we've had little or no ambition going forward. When the chance to cross it or take someone on is in front of the players they're all too keen to turn and pass backwards, even on the counter attack. Lets jope there's some belief against Blackpool and we're not destined for long ball football for the next 4 months. COYL. time to stand up and be counted.

• January 9, 2015 at 11:11

Just seen the lad Paris was league two player of the month, if he and the Hoff can combine with Gregory or Fuller picking up the second ball we can certainly give defenses something different to think about .

• January 9, 2015 at 11:20

Another player out of contract come the end of the season..the only down side

• January 9, 2015 at 11:25

On Lionslive one of the directors said that it was no coincidence that all contracts were coming to an end at the same time. This seemed to suggest that we engineered this situation. That seems crazy to me, yes we need to change our squad but surely evolution and not revolution is the way forward. If you have contracts ending over a longer period of time you can avoid the type of panic we are in now, I can't see why we thought the players would respond well knowing that they are all their squad mates were out of contract at the same time. It also makes it very difficult to offer contracts to the ones we want to keep, as that clearly shows the others that we aren't intending to keep them. DAFT!

• January 9, 2015 at 11:49

@glyngo:
      it was all geared up for a good clear out of every player we wanted out to be gone and to offer new contracts to those we wanted and who wanted to stay in the summer,to allow the club to rebuild during the close season, The only flaw is that we have found ourselves in a relegation battle now which has slightly thrown a spanner in the works, But it seems sence has prevailed and we are shipping out some and bringing in some now earlier than first planned, all will be fine as long as we stay up,

• January 9, 2015 at 12:03

@MIGHTY Again i find myself agreeing with you 100%.
        People will start to talk soon LOL

• January 9, 2015 at 12:25

@jim1222: easter, wright and even Robbo have found new clubs and are terminating their contracts now as opposed to waiting till the summer and possibly have no club to join, im sure there may be more to follow any player finding a club that Ollie has no future plans for will go and if like Malone we get a few bob more the better,
          im sure we will add a couple more decent loans in to get us outta this mess so we stay up so the major work can begin in the summer,

thats the bigger picture

• January 9, 2015 at 12:06

@glyngo: Not sure I agree with you Glyngo. I think it was revolution we needed. The past couple of seasons, whilst exciting, they were the kind of exciting that does the heart no good and I have to admit I was actually looking forward to a mid table mediocrity . Ollie's way of playing obviously does not suit the current crop and I am sure soon after he took over we was in talks as to what he wanted. He allowed players to do it his way or not those who would not or could not are now leaving the club. I have always said we need to judge Ollie next year, lets hope it is in the Championship.

• January 9, 2015 at 12:32

I think the key with this signing is not necessarily what The Hoff contributes as an individual but rather what he contributes to the team as a whole....theres no denying that hes not the most naturally gifted player but he brings a dimension to the team that we have been crying out for....a big target man who wins his fair share of headers and someone who can pull the opposing defenders apart making room for the likes of Greggers, Martin an co. These type of players have been around for years....your Heskeys, Fergusons, etc...players that shouldnt be analysed as individuals (most of Harris's goals was a result of Moody's work up top)....its no coincidence that our winning run last season was with The Hoff up top leading the line....for me its a no brainer....low wages an no transfer fee (youre all crying out for the unproven Hanson who would cost a lot of money that we havent got and who would equally look poor individually)....win win situation....weve now got the lump, the fox in Greggers....now lets spend the money we might have on a pacey striker who we can analyse individually....Afobe for me....or the arsenal boy Akpom please (ive heard arsenal might have decided to let him go out on loan)....or of course Harry Kane but I kinda feel that ones flown the nest now....

• January 9, 2015 at 12:50

@Hurlocksgonnagetya
      Great post mate,you have said what i have been trying to say all along about HOF,but you have been a bit more articulate than me and put it in a nutshell.

• January 9, 2015 at 12:36

Let's not give the Hoff the huff! COYL!!!

• January 9, 2015 at 13:13

Does anyone know if the game will be streamed please

• January 9, 2015 at 18:22

At least he's keen to roll up his sleeves and give it a go, not the best of players but does bring some thing we need height and muscle up front hopefully Gregory can pick up the knock downs and flicks so a positive addition
    Also lets not forget his goals that Defo kept us up last year Wall have always played good football with 2 good wingers and a target man Sheringham,SaddlerMoody,but to name few

• January 9, 2015 at 21:38

@southstand: Great post Southstand exactly my thoughts Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilllllllll