Millwall wait on striker clearance ahead of crunch clash

STEFAN Maierhofer is back at Millwall.

The striker has signed a contract with the Lions until the end of the season and will travel with the squad to Blackpool on Friday ahead of a possible second debut for the club.

The deal is yet to receive international clearance but Millwall are hopeful that will arrive in time for the Austrian to feature against the Tangerines.

Speaking to the club's official site, Maierhofer said: "It's a good feeling coming back here.

"I have stayed in touch with the gaffer and in the last few days he has called me everyday and said 'come on big man, we need you'.

"I think for me and the way I play, it's very good to be back with this club. I'm big and strong and hope that I can do the same as last time."

Asked about his fitness levels, Maierhofer, who has been playing for Austrian club SC Wiener Neustadt, added: "I have had four games in five weeks and I feel good.

"I feel fit and I will give my best, and 100 per cent. I will give everything every time I wear the jersey."

28 thoughts on “Millwall wait on striker clearance ahead of crunch clash

• January 9, 2015 at 10:44

Is it me or has this man garnered a bit of marmite cult following in recent days? Well love him or hate him and call him what you will - the Hof, Hofmeister, Hofberg, the Hofinator or just plain s**t. This man will give defences a serious headache with his awkward height. Hopefully we now follow this up with a quality pacy striker in near future…

• January 9, 2015 at 11:21

@Bexley_Lion: Good post, I think he is good enough for what we need right now. Gregory, better polish your boots mate, there's gonna be plenty of loose balls dropping at your feet.

• January 9, 2015 at 13:31

@Bexley_Lion: I'm chuffed. The Hof brings something different and is committed to the cause. He is not conventional, he is a one off and if he helps keep us up again then in my book he will be a leg'end!! NOLU

• January 9, 2015 at 10:48

Cannot pretend to be happy but time will tell if this was a good deal or not.As Bexley says if we could back this up with a pacey young goalscorer - plus Cahill on Loan ( what a boost and shot in the arm that would give supporters ) then we could be in with a chance of staying up.

• January 9, 2015 at 11:58

@Longfield Lion
      Longfield i know you are not keen on this guy , but answer me one question .What is it you dont like about him and what did he do last season that lead's you to think he is c r ap? also i ask all the other hof detractor's to answer the question as well and not the usual one word answer he's c r a p ,s h it idiot joker and so on proper answer's only please.
      To be fair i will give SOME of my reason's why i think he should be here.
      1 his 2 goals at midboro =3pts we were not expected to get.
      2 he drew the defender's out of position to allow woolly the space to nip in and head the winner v bournmouth another 3 pts .
      3 If you can remember Martins goal that IH drooled over,again hof drew 2 defender's to the right of the box and Martin coming from the left got the space to get his shot through.
      4 He often took two or even three defender's to mark him leaving space for others.
      5 When the ball is played to him we did not lose control of the ball as quick and as often as we do with fuller.
      6 with a player of his size he can either look fantastic or an absolute pillock,( P. Crouch is a prime example.
      7 By his size alone he gives a presence that gives defenders something to worry about and in doing so takes the pressure off other players in our team
      Things i think that are negative about him.
      1 His ball control lets him down at times.
      2 Sometimes he misses headers i think he should get.
      Im not for one minute saying he was our sole savior last year but along with garven (another one who was abused as being rubbish on NAD) Edwards,and woolford these four played the biggest part in keeping us up last year.
      So come all those who think HOF is bad for us now say why. (no one word answers please)

• January 9, 2015 at 14:27

@jim1222: what did he do last season to lead us to think he is crap?? He scored in 1 game mate! As a striker i dont care what u do for a team if u dont score goals then quite simply ur a s*** striker!! This is a backward step

• January 9, 2015 at 19:25

@LionforLife: so a striker who assists goals every game but never scores would be a s*** striker?

You have a very simplistic view on a strikers role.

Comments are closed.

You must have an active subscription to view further comments and leave your own.