Robinson will always cherish scoring for Millwall at Wembley

©
©

PAUL Robinson will always cherish scoring for Millwall at Wembley – a moment he describes as the "pinnacle" of his long career with the club.

Robinson's contract with the Lions was cancelled yesterday, paving the way for him to pen a permanent 18-month deal with Portsmouth, where has been playing on loan.

And reflecting on his time at The Den, his winner against Swindon Town in the 2010 League One play-off final stands out as his best highlight.

"I had some fantastic highs at Millwall but the pinnacle was scoring the winner at Wembley," he said.

"That's a day that I will never ever forget. I always look back at that day with absolute pride.

"I've been involved in some fantastic games at The Den – great occasions and atmospheres. That whole journey has just been an incredible experience and I enjoyed every minute of it."

Robinson added: "I never really saw myself playing for anyone else other than Millwall but it was pretty clear that I wasn't in the manager's plans moving forward.

"That's the way football works – it’s a game of opinions and the manager had his.

"I still felt that I had plenty of games left in me and I wanted to make the most of my career, but I realised that wasn’t going to happen at Millwall.

"I looked elsewhere for that opportunity and the writing was on the wall when I went to Portsmouth.

"Everyone realised then that perhaps my time at Millwall was up. It's a sad day in some ways but it's also the start of something new for me."

Robinson completed his switch to Fratton Park this morning, 24 hours after his Millwall exit was announced.

"Pompey is a really good club to play for and I've really enjoyed my time there," he said.

"The fans are almost as noisy as the Millwall fans and very passionate. It's a similar club in many respects and that's helped me fit right in.

"The bottom line is that I've enjoyed playing week in, week out again and getting back into that routine."

36 thoughts on “Robinson will always cherish scoring for Millwall at Wembley

• January 7, 2015 at 16:00

fantastic leader for our club, and always gave us 110%, just a lack of Championship quality (speed and distribution) which meant you've had to leave towards the end of your career. Your goals in the playoffs will live long in my memory!

• January 7, 2015 at 16:08

@lions404: so no worse than what we have then. IMO better defender than the toilet we have now and none of them have good distribution or pace. Not championship quality but none of our centre backs are.
      True legend

• January 7, 2015 at 16:15

@cos_mfc: Cos was that a complement about Robbo , I agree with a true legend and I also wish him every success at his new club, unless we meet them next season.

• January 8, 2015 at 08:44

@lions404: YES PAUL ROBINSON WAS A GREAT PLAYER FOR MFC, OVER THE LAST FEW YEARS............SADLY LIKE EVERYBODY, WE ALL GET OLDER AND SLOWER IN WHAT WE DO AS A PROFESSION. [ "ROBBO" JUST GO EASY, YOU STILL HAVE A LONG LIFE AHEAD !
      ANYWAY, 2 X DAYS, AND WE ARE UP TO BLACKPOOL [ BLOOMFIELD ROAD ], JIM28 & BLOCK28, GET THERE EARLY AND I'LL BUY YOU A NICE "PINT" EACH..................
      "NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE"......................YIPPEE, WE HAVE NEW PLAYERS TO WATCH !
      STORMIN' NORMAN

• January 7, 2015 at 16:21

In all honesty Robbo weather you are 30odd or whatever and coming to the end of your career you have been replaced by dunne and a lot of other crap which is an insult to you. I'm convinced that shittu was on his way out with that injury but the others have been so poor in his absence he got back in by default as it were. You are certainly no worse than any of our current centre backs and arguably better than most if not all of them,so why holloway couldn't give you one more season to fully recover from your injury when the others were so hit and miss I don't know. After all he gave shittu that time.

• January 7, 2015 at 16:22

Well done Robbo. I'm sure the 50k fans at Wembley won't forget it either. Speaking of which, anyone know where they've gone?

• January 7, 2015 at 16:56

@southlondon1885: I'd be happy if we just took our regular 10.5K to Wembley, at least you know that they really follow the club.....and yes I know there are exceptions, but surely not 35K exceptions.....

• January 7, 2015 at 17:06

@glyngo: I think it was the semi final a year or so ago when we had 40odd k at Wembley then 7k at home to Blackburn (I think it was) on the Tuesday. Shame there's a lot of hangers on. Still that's a debate that has been done to death on here. I want to know what ref we're gonna get for Bradford because you can guarantee the FA don't want us at Chelski. We will have a goal disallowed and they will get at least one penalty.

• January 7, 2015 at 16:24

Always confused me why we played Dunne at CB but Let Robbo go. Dunne is quicker but that is it. Robbo would have done anything for the club and shown the new players how to play for Millwall. True he isn't championship standard but he would have done ok until we got some real replacements. Imagine Sid playing next to Robbo, Sid would have learnt so much and improved constantly. Once Sid was established, bring Goodman back and we have a solid partnership.

Robbo you will missed and you are a true millwall legend!

• January 7, 2015 at 16:39

Tanks for making my dream come true, winning at wembley. LEGEND.

• January 7, 2015 at 16:43

Someone else who will always be treated as nothing less than a legend at the club. I can understand him wanting to play every week but I cannot help thinking that a position at the club as cover/competition for the center backs and a coaching role for the youngsters along with Bomber would have been a really good move. Would not have only provide some defensive idea's but also along with Bomber what it means to play for this unique club.

• January 7, 2015 at 16:50

What a legend in the footsteps of Harry kitch and Harris if we ever play Pompey I've would get a great reception but like brisley did when we played the trainspotters away he was cheers every time he touched the ball robbo hope your career goes well at Pompey

• January 7, 2015 at 16:52

I've always had a soft spot for Pompey, terrible what their fans went through and glad that the club is back under control. They are very similar fans to ours in many ways and both are true working class clubs in their marrow. Good luck Robbo, if I had to pick another club for you to show your stuff then Pompey would be a very good choice.

• January 7, 2015 at 17:16

The dislikes surrounding this subject is pathetic, to say something good about an ex player and captain and get dislike coming back says so much about some of the people that come on here.

• January 7, 2015 at 20:48

@bordersarebest0170: the amount of dislikes on your post shows just how many idiots are on this site mate , Up The Wall !

• January 7, 2015 at 17:32

Keep hitting that dislike button , cos once you've had your tea mummy will whisk you off to bed.

• January 7, 2015 at 17:42

@bordersarebest0170: same happened yesterday on a similar post with tributes to Robbo. All around school kicking out time.

• January 7, 2015 at 17:37

'Legend' is much overused nowdays, but in this case very apt. Proper Millwall player who always gave 100%, never bottled a tackle and seemed to hurt when we got beat. In addition a bloody nice bloke!

• January 7, 2015 at 18:18

Remember seeing him against Cambridge away just after first signed his first pro contact , I think he was also offered a place at university and was toying with that. Thank God that he chose the football route learning from Rhino and McLeary etc etc ........... Thanks for the memories and I am sure you will be back
    one day teaching all and sundry the true meaning of wearing the Lion.

• January 7, 2015 at 18:42

Yes - best of luck Robbo. You set an excellent example and work ethic. You are and will be missed. We've got to hope that Nelson or Goodman might go some way to replacing him.

• January 7, 2015 at 18:54

Anyone know if HAHarford still in france,theres a few people with good shots on em looking to relocate

• January 7, 2015 at 22:52

@gatecrasher: The 12 died standing firm for the right to free speech which allows you to make idiotic comments like this, but you probably don't understand that.

• January 8, 2015 at 07:09

@lion.ie: yeah how silly of me to say that , you two should get together and have a good laugh about it .

• January 8, 2015 at 19:00

@southstandview: Think you and the two likes have firmly grasped the wrong end of the stick. The reply isn't to you.

• January 7, 2015 at 19:37

Good luck robbo your a great captain mate not like that s*** dunne maybe it did have to come to a end one day gutted your gone just wish dunne will follow you soon

• January 7, 2015 at 21:00

@lionheart: Dunney has been our best right back for years, holloway is at fault for playing him centre half , can't believe people turning against him , some people have very short memories.

• January 7, 2015 at 19:58

Just like to say well done robbo you always gave 100 percent and you made our club and fans proud best of luck at your new club

• January 7, 2015 at 20:35

a great servant and example of what mfc is all about.a true trojan.to all lions fans a health word warning if you are waking up middle of the night and p****** on a regular nightly basis go get your self checked out at your doctors for early prostate trouble .i ignored the signs and ended up having recent surgery as my flow decreased and dark urine(Means blood) another sign.take heed

• January 7, 2015 at 22:44

@MILLWALLBUILDER: very good post, we all need to take notice of your advice. I'm personally p****** like a karcher pressure washer so hopefully I'm alright at the moment, but good point well made, thank you. P.s. Hope you are fully fit now mate.

• January 7, 2015 at 22:57

Not many players have scored for us in the play offs but Robbo has scored 2, 2 of the most important at that. Will always have fond memories of him as both a player and as a man. He was fantastic with my daughter when she was a mascot. Little things like that make a huge difference.

I loved the fact that he said that Pompey are nearly as loud as us, many ex players like to slate our fans but Robbo never will.

Good luck in the future Robbo, thanks for the memories.

Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii