Holloway pleased with Millwall's spirit against Bradford

IAN Holloway saw signs of progress as Millwall came from behind twice to rescue an FA Cup replay with Bradford City.

The Lions' miserable run of form, especially at home, looked set to continue after Billy Knott put the Bantams 3-2 ahead with under 15 minutes to go.

But Ricardo Fuller struck in the closing stages to spare Millwall's blushes.

After recent performances, Holloway was pleased to see his players recover from a losing position – especially after Sid Nelson's unfortunate own goal rocked their confidence.

"Their first one was another soft one from a set piece but we showed terrific character and skill to come back," Holloway said.

"Based on the last couple of games, we haven't had that.

"As long as the players give me what they gave me today, which they haven't done in the last couple of weeks because confidence is waning, then I'm happy.

"We had three injured players missing today as well.

"As spirit goes, that was fantastic. We came back twice. Do I want us to have to come back? No, but we haven't had the rub of the green of late.

"Their second goal, for example. Good god. It could have gone anywhere [but it went in off Nelson], and that's the way things are going for us at the minute.

"For me it's about character and I'm not going to criticise my lads today. We got a few bits wrong – obviously we did – but we didn't give up once.

"That will do for me. We're in the hat for the draw and a lot of teams who were expected to win today, didn't."

Holloway was asked why he had gone over to speak to a supporter at the final whistle.

He said: "I wanted to shake that fan's hand at the end. He's got every right to say what he said.

"He was giving it loads. He said, 'you made me believe [you would improve results]' and I asked him to let me concentrate on the game.

"But I wanted to shake his hand at the end and reassure him that I'm going to get us a better balance in this transfer window. I'm on the case.

"Just wait and see mate, that's what I'm saying. I want to be here and build a group he'll be proud of.

"Last week against Bournemouth we didn't have a shot on goal, and I can't watch that. We're doing things now to get a better spirit.

61 thoughts on “Holloway pleased with Millwall's spirit against Bradford

• January 3, 2015 at 18:26

Lets not take our fans for mugs! Drawing at home to a League one side and conceding 3 goals is NOT a sign of improvement or encouragement!!!

• January 3, 2015 at 18:33

@the verminhater: Yes it is a step forward. Scoring three goals and the commitment of the players is a massive improvement. Bradford are a League 1 side, yes, but they are near the top of their division, unbeaten in six and full of confidence.

• January 3, 2015 at 18:37

@the verminhater: relatively it is, a team lacking in confidence big time, and against a team going well in the league below, with some injuries to boot, getting a draw after falling behind in the latter stages means that at least the team never gave up. I'm not saying that today was great or a turning point but it's arrested the slide.

• January 3, 2015 at 20:32

apparently the supporter that was berating holloway throughout the game was john berylson

• January 3, 2015 at 18:29

Did chaplow pass go! Picked up a chance card no doubt? Let's stick with our own youngsters who could do as well as many who have pulled on a shirt in recent times. Pleased though that we are still in the cup.

• January 3, 2015 at 18:38

Holloway not Ollie for f****** hell's sake. And he has to go.

• January 3, 2015 at 18:41

A totally different group of players by the time the window closes,yeah right and if we dont get all these player the ones left behind will think IH does not fancy me why shuld I care.

• January 3, 2015 at 18:44

"We'll have a totally different group of players by the time the window closes because I can't let it slide like this. It isn't going to work."??? Surely this is dependent on being able to get shot of some of the existing lot and I can't see there being too many takers. Sounds like another roll of the dice to me.

• January 3, 2015 at 18:46

I was sat behind dugout and fan was entitled to his opinion. Fair play to Ollie for going over and talking to him at final whistle. Defensively, we are just shipping too many goals which is definitely not good enough for Championship level. But on the whole, not a bad performance against a decent League one team- remember we were there not so long ago. Let's see who we sign in Jan to stop us going down there again.

• January 3, 2015 at 18:54

It was certainly better than the Bournemouth game, the players showed desire and commitment to the badge, just again some poor decisions at times. Not happy, but at least we didn't lose.
    One signing already, and one looking like he's out already, so things may be starting to move. This squad needs a major overhaul and I am sure we can all see that. If we were to sack Holloway today, a new manager would have to be found, would have the same players and a smaller budget as we would have to pay IH off.
    Rome wasn't built in a day!

• January 3, 2015 at 19:01

Honestly Briggs looks like he could do the job if given the chance

• January 3, 2015 at 23:10

@Dazi: I know a couple on here don't think so, but Briggs had a decent game. He got more decent crosses in than Malone managed all season

• January 3, 2015 at 19:02

Is there any need to panic buy a out of date LB?

• January 3, 2015 at 19:08

Seen and heard all this before from Holloway and his predecessor. 3-3 at home to Bradford is not the best of results considering we were 2-1 up. However lets not get carried away, Holloway has a lot to prove and he has not done it for me this season.

• January 3, 2015 at 19:20

Ive run a pub team before,the first thing you do is ask where people naturally play.i had 20 forwards ffs!
    logically i had to play them out of position!i then proceeded to play them out of "position"we got spanked week in week out for months on end.Then i made a very important decision that changed our season,i QUIT .the team got relegated but promoted again the next year.I was the only person who wanted the job in the first place,by the way!!
    If you can draw any parralles with my experience please comment

• January 3, 2015 at 19:36

You should have played 7 upfront and 3 in midfield...hehehehe...I have said all season to play the players in their natural position in a 442 formation. Best suited to that formation.

• January 3, 2015 at 19:35

Not good enough from a group of players and manager fighting for their future

I can see through all your bull shix holloway even if others on here can't

Next thing we will be delighted to only lose by one goal to black pool

• January 3, 2015 at 19:44

Didn't see the first goal.but didn't see nothing in that.lump hanson(crap player will never be any better then a L1:player)..couldn't understand why chappy got jeered of..i admit hes not a great player but yhe 2nd half gave his all..that is what we want..yet upson.got cheered of.but for me none absolutely nothing..felt for sid..and MG deserved to be on a winning side

• January 3, 2015 at 19:49

Went to the match expecting a win. Guess a draw will do, now just have to make sure we win at their ground, a cup run could do us good.

Maggie is a quality player! Some of those passes he picked out were amazing. Shame he didnt score that volley, would have been one of the best goals of the tournament IMO.

• January 3, 2015 at 20:16

Today summed up, I'm afraid, exactly where we are....we were about equal, at home, to a reasonable League one side and that is,exactly how good we are with this manager and this team/ squad he has assembled. I don't buy into the bull s.h.i.t that it's the cast offs from the Jackett and Lomas days, Holloway has had enough time to implement his team and his tactics and we are where we are....about league one level, as was proved today. we leak too many goals and we look laboured all over the place, hence we draw at home against Bradford and we struggle against the championship sides. I thought Chaplow ran his socks off though.

• January 3, 2015 at 20:19

Yeah we'll done they showed spirit! That should be a given you t***! we now have an extra game not just down the road where we are not going to get a result. I'm more worried about staying in this league but realistically he's had a year and I think it's too late I hope I'm wrong! Maybe dropping a division might sort us out.

• January 3, 2015 at 20:35

Holloway you're deluded if you think that's an improvement, is that really what you'll be telling j.b on monday.get em all in on Sunday for extra training and give forde a pair of comedy glasses to help with his shi* keeping.

• January 3, 2015 at 20:36

Apparently the guy who holloway went over to who kept baracking throughout the match was john berylson

• January 3, 2015 at 20:52

When that first goal went in - going by our current form - I thought we were gona crumble, but we didn't. The first 15-20mins was absolutely shocking to watch and we looked like a rabbit in the headlights.. But credit to the team today, we grew into the game and in the end I thought we were a bit unfortunate to concede their 2nd goal which gave Bradford an undeserved boost IMO, because I didn't think they looked half as threatening as we did during the 2nd half...
    Honestly wouldn't have been surprised to get beat today - our confidence has been rock bottom and we're playing a side that haven't lost in 9 games and are currently not that many league places away from us! Plus, it's the F.A cup and anything can happen...

I don't think ANY Millwall supporter is happy with the way things are going at the moment - whether you're part of the 'In Ollie we trust' mob - or the 'F**k off Holloway' possie! But I'd like to urge the 'F off Holloway' possie to take a step back from what's happening on the pitch and take a look at the BIG picture and consider what is going on behind the scenes at our club at the moment. With 24 players soon out of contract and all the wrangling we've had with FFP and not even being able to loan players etc. etc. (all the info being posted on this site) is it any wonder that everything isn't hunky-dory??
    If anyone is interested, I'm not part of either group of fans - Ollie IN or OUT - the bloke doesn't fill me with confidence with some of the decisions he makes - and he truly seems to be nuttier than squirrel turds sometimes.... But on the other hand, he does have a lot of good qualities and I don't think you can question the blokes commitment to the club and what he wants to achieve. One of Holloways strong points IMO is what he can potentially do in the transfer market and he's going to need to be top of his game to deal with this mess we're in.....
    In a way, we're all passengers here, because MFC won't be getting rid of Holloway anytime soon - so ENJOY THE RIDE I SAY!! It's going to be an interesting couple of weeks........ COYL!!!

• January 3, 2015 at 21:05

@Luke ColdBlow10: Well said Luke jacket knew just like Ferguson did that the squad needed critical surgery and he had run its course and JB made the mistake with lomas you don't build a team over night are your right Holloway a fruit cake but he's our manager and January he knows that 70% of the team are just not good enough to wear the shirt so judge him on who he brings in .

• January 3, 2015 at 21:26

@Luke ColdBlow10: Your comments make a lot of sense. I prefer to reserve judgement until the end of this transfer window to see who he does manage to bring in and ship out. If we could just avoid relegation this season he has a real chance to rebuild the team in the Summer when he can get rid of the out of contract players he doesn't want. It might be that he will have to sign older players on loan or short term contracts to keep us in the Championship. A lot of us thought that he was mad when he signed the Hoff and Edwards but it did the trick last season.

• January 3, 2015 at 23:20

@Luke ColdBlow10: As I said in a much earlier post Luke, by rights, Holloway should have the Blackpool game and the Bradford replay to save his job.
      However, we all know he's going nowhere so people are wasting their breath abusing him and not really helping matters. He needs to be clever in this transfer window and keep us up, that's all for this season. Big clear out in the summer and go again next year. If we are still suffering the same dross come October/November 2015 then JB has to make a change. That said, if he went tomorrow I doubt it would make a lot of difference either way.
      As a footnote, Dunne and Forde (not sure why today) getting the predictable stick again on here but no mention of Shittu not getting off the ground for the first goal, but hey, 'that's what he does'.

• January 3, 2015 at 21:32

Wow! Someone's been on the spirits if they're in any way happy with drawing with and letting in 3 goals against Bradford City!! My standards must be too high!!

• January 3, 2015 at 22:48

The man who was shouting at Holloway is a complete cock.

What we have in Holloway is a manager who is trying to build a CLUB, not a team that can all of a sudden brush aside every team that we play, this doesn't happen overnight, we are all frustrated at what's happening at the moment, but standing there throwing a load of verbal at the manager isn't going to help get us out of this situation, the players are the ones he should be venting his frustrations at, is it Holloways fault that Alan Dunne can't complete a 10 yard pass or a 5 yard throw in. If I'd have made as many mistakes in my job as Dunne has done in his, I'd of been sacked 8 years ago. Holloway can't be held responsible for his Dunnes inability to do basic basic things. Yes he could drop him I agree, but we don't have much better in the club.

Further more, If Holloway does go or get sacked, who is gonna come in and all of a sudden get the pile of s*** we got playing like Brazil???? I'd sack all the players before i got rid of Holloway. Dunne being the first.

At least with Holloway you get a bit of passion and heart on the touchline, We should be careful what we wish for.

• January 4, 2015 at 11:03

@paulgmfc
      You say Ih is not to blame,then go on to say it'snot IH fault that dunne cant pass or take a throw in,sorry if im wrong but was'nt it IH who made dunne captain and persisted playing him at centre back when it was plainly obviouse that other team's began to target his position. ( i accept dunne has had a few good game's earlier in the season ).but his continued selection is IH fault.
      As for IH passion on the touch line , i want that passion shown by our player's ,which it AINT that is IH job to get player's playing with passion.
      Sorry paul but your post is a bit double dutch,and highlight's why IH should go,when in fact you are trying to defend the man.
      Just to make my position clear ,i was all for IH coming to the club,but my support for him has cooled due to the many off the wall decision's he has made ,dunne as captain the worst one.
      I want him to stay and try to turn this club around with the new signing's he might bring in ,but to be honest it's his team selection's that puzzle me most of all.
      Why is it that two of his signing's Webster and Brigg's seem to be lacking in confidence ,after all they might not be world beater's ,but they are solid player's.it's IH job to sort them out.
      PS i do not want to be rebuilding from div 1 , so i hope he does turn it around.
      This is not a pop at you paul but i think your post highlight's the different way we all view our millwall.

• January 4, 2015 at 15:34

If I was fortunate enough to be a footballer for Millwall, no matter who my manager was, he would not have to, in way shape or form, get passion out of me, it should be natural that when you run out of that tunnel at 2.55 on a Saturday afternoon with that Lion on your chest, you'd want to run through brick walls to carry out the instructions that your manager has given you to carry out, you can't manage or encourage passion, you've either got it as a person/footballer or you ain't. Simple as that

• January 4, 2015 at 11:26

@paulgmfc: well said Paul but got to disagree with one thing we must have a kid better to take dunne place he is finished he thinks he is bigger than the wall please please IH I don't want to go and see that sorry face c*** in a millwall shirt again

• January 4, 2015 at 15:37

True, we should have someone who can complete a 10 yard pass to his team mate who is playing right mid

I bet whoever gets picked to play right mid at the moment must think to themselves "what have I done wrong this week in training to have to play in front of this lady part.

• January 4, 2015 at 18:51

@paulgmfc:
      "is it Holloways fault that Alan Dunne can't complete a 10 yard pass or a 5 yard throw in. If I'd have made as many mistakes in my job as Dunne has done in his, I'd of been sacked 8 years ago. Holloway can't be held responsible for his Dunnes inability to do basic basic things."

Nope - but it would tend to imply that you would play just about anybody else at right back or more especially centre half where we have loads of players who aren't quite as bad including in all probability one out on loan in Goodman. And it might, just might, suggest that only a complete dullard would make the bloke captain.

• January 3, 2015 at 22:48

The man who was shouting at Holloway is a complete div

• January 3, 2015 at 23:12

PAUL you are essentially right - we have too many players who are not good enough - dunne and shittu cannot be the basis of a team to compete at this level - he has brought in wilko coz he knows dunne is not up to it - nelson has been brought in becoz the other CBs aren't doing well - just simply not enough quality on the pitch - still don't have a CM who can do that holding role - we are weak when not in possession and no proven goal scorer - he needs to do something clever in the window - let's hope

• January 3, 2015 at 23:14

I don't deny that we need a lot of new faces, but many clubs have demonstrated that buying many new faces all at once can also be disastrous as they will need time to gel. Even with major surgery we are gonna be cutting it very fine this season. Hold on to your hats.

• January 3, 2015 at 23:26

Just seen goals again on MOTD. For their second, Forde has the reactions of a cruise liner. I'd like to see a replacement come in for him. How about Ali Al-Habsi on loan for rest of season.

• January 3, 2015 at 23:40

@paulgmfc: He needs competition for his place and a half-decent defence in front of him, he has been playing with little protection in front of him for the best part of a season and a half so a dip in form and more mistakes creeping in are hardly surprising.

• January 4, 2015 at 01:21

When will everyone realise, we do have good players in the squad but Holloway can not see them, because he does not recognise class. Powell and Fred are fine examples, and he's just realised Nelson is too. Maggie has class, but he plays him as a sub, or not in his proper position centre forward. Gregory has to play with Maggie from the start.

If a good manager was ever to take over for my Club, he would spot all the class in a flash, and kick out all the jokers, who may have a few good games but over a season would be exposed. Some of the players we have are class but are past it: Fuller, Shittu, Chaplow. I feel sorry for a lot of supporters who do not seem to understand, what makes a good player, a good team and a good manager. They simply go by game to game stats, and don't see the full picture.

When a player does not have class, he can not pass, read a game, keep his head up, as he always has to look at the ball, is very one footed- so is always off balance, creates no time on the ball, and over a season will be exposed to players with class- who have everything I mentioned above. I'm not slagging off players like Beevers, Dunne, McDonald, Woolford, its just they have no class. You can't train it, you get it from a young age. If Holloway picked players with class (who are not past it) and played them where they play best, we would create chances, defend well, keep the ball, and succeed in the league.

If you disagree with all my comment that's totally fine, but I know for a fact, you never had class as a footballer, and you fail to see the fundamentals of why we are in this position in the league. Its not luck or not having the players, its understanding to develop a team full of CLASS.

• January 4, 2015 at 09:30

I must say I agree with most of what you say, but I do believe Mcd and Woolford have a bit of class about them. They can (when full of confidence) take on and beat a man and also pick a pass.

I may get some abuse for this next comment but I reckon the last player we had who had a bit of class and was a proper footballer was Danny Schofield.

• January 4, 2015 at 10:33

@paulgmfc:
        100% Agree Paul was a massive fan of Danny schofield our best footballer once he left we have not had a left winger with his affect on a game, or his ability to recycle possession, he scored some crackers I remember the one at Bristol City when we won 3 nil first game of the season. We also need a home grown hero a battler like Alexander nothing special but could win you 7-8 games a season .

• January 4, 2015 at 11:39

@Bush: great post Keith Weller style player good close control Schofield liked him a lot, players that can hold the ball and not get shot of it straight away, until they see the option

• January 4, 2015 at 09:56

@JimmyLion: thing is Jimmy self proclaimed class players do have the attributes you mentioned but all too often they don't have the team ethic or work rate that we require. I actually think McD, Woolford, Martin and Gregory are technically good players and they work very hard.the likes of Chaplow, Wright also are technically very good but don't click at our club. I don't necessarily blame the manager for that. Jordan Rhodes didn't click at Ipswich and look at what a great player he is. It just happens.

• January 4, 2015 at 01:23

Grassgrower....just in 1-30am..saw the tele in the put bout bush fires in Aus...hope your ok

• January 4, 2015 at 06:07

@Jim28: thanks mate, yeh, not that far away from us but looks like they've got some control now, been goin for 30 hours or more. If it had of come the city side of the hills it would've f***** everyone up there. Firies n coppers have been outstanding. Have a few beers mate n keep warm. Glad to see Scotty mac get on the score sheet. Cheers.

• January 4, 2015 at 09:43

@grassgrower: its lucky alan dunne were'nt in Australia..cos he probably would of got the blame for the fires

• January 4, 2015 at 11:07

@ jim28
          I saw him throw his cigar butt on the ground ,how it set the forest alight i dont know ,but it was his fault.
          LOL

• January 4, 2015 at 11:42

This is definitely progress. IMO the cup game early in the season against Southampton at the Den showed what our kids can do. We controlled much of that game against their first team - the difference was they had a goal scorer or two.. We need that. In the mean time ollie needs to be smart - take the pressure off the first team, and play the kids - nobody will get on their back for losing. Against Southampton they lost - but were cheered off cos they ran and worked and tried. Thats what we want to see. I can take losing if you go down fighting - but I cant take the conceding which is what we're doing too often of late. Let the kids off the leash and stop loaning them out! Like the look of this Paris fella - fast, little bit cocky which u need at the Den - but attitude is spot on. Just what we need and could be the spark that starts the fire. This season aint over yet!! COYL!!!

• January 4, 2015 at 12:32

What surprises me is the mount of criticism aimed at Beevers. For me he hasn't done much wrong and when playing alongside Webster the pair looked very good.

• January 4, 2015 at 23:41

@glyngo: He's our best centre-half Glyngo, but isn't great, which says it all.