Abdou: Academy product Nelson is a Millwall character

JIMMY Abdou has tipped youngster Sid Nelson for big things at The Den.

Centre back Nelson scooped the man of the match award after his impressive Lions debut against Bournemouth.

And Abdou, who knows what it takes to be a success in SE16, praised the 18-year-old's first appearance for the senior side.

"Sid did well, especially with the atmosphere at the mintue and the run of games we ghave been on," Abdou said. "He did well coming in and had a good game.

"He has shown on the training ground that he's a good lad. He's a Millwall type and showed good character. I think he's going to do well here."

Nelson's performance was one of few positives from Millwall's 2-0 defeat to the Cherries.

"It's hard to take," Abdou added afterwards. "We started well and were doing positive things because we had to come back after our last result. It's disappointing to lose.

"We conceded a lot of goals at Norwich but we're professionals and we tried to do our best on Sunday.

"I think we showed some character and the manager was happy with our performance but sometimes decisions don't help."

The game turned in the 32nd minute when Lee Martin's foul on Charlie Daniels was ruled to have been inside the penalty area.

"I was near to it and it looked outside," added Abdou. "They scored first the first goal when we were doing well. We tried our hardest to get back in the game.

"Bournemouth are a good team but if we'd scored first that would have changed the game."

Abdou was named in Ian Holloway's starting XI for the first time since October.

"I've been training and ready for when the gaffer called on me," said the popular midfielder. "The gaffer picked me on Sunday and I was happy about that.

"I'll give my best, as I've always done in the last few years. I'm happy to come back into the team and hopefully I'm going to get more games."

58 thoughts on “Abdou: Academy product Nelson is a Millwall character

• December 30, 2014 at 09:10

WELL DONE S.NELSON! NOW GIVE OLLIE FUNDS TO BRING NEW GOOD PLAYERS IN, CAUSE " THE ONLY WAY IS UP " - NO ONE LIKES US WE DONT CARE. STORMIN' NORMAN IS LOOKING FORWARD TO A SUCCESSFUL FUTURE AT THE NEW DEN.

• December 30, 2014 at 18:29

I might be mad, but I have the feeling that IH will bring it round, provided he can get a couple of decent signings/loanee's during January. I do think Ollie has a real genuine love/like for the 'Underdog, NOLU' nature of our club. He has got other 'Underdogs' success and promotion before with the correct funding!

• December 30, 2014 at 09:12

More quality in the youth at the moment than some of the so called senior players. I'd like to see OBrien, Fred, Powell, Nelson and King start against Bradford. They need to be blooded. They won't gain strength and experience playing alongside kids of similar ages in U21 etc. Give them all a chance. There's nothing to lose based on the past few performances.

• December 30, 2014 at 09:57

@southlondon1885: I agree that they need games, but just playing them for a single game is not going to help them, they need to be phased into the first team squad. KJ made this mistake often, he would field a young and reserve team squads in early round cup games. The lower league sides often rose to the occasion and the young players never got another game.

• December 30, 2014 at 11:51

@glyngo: I would start them every game mate not just against Bradford. All I'm saying is that in IH mad mind there are no league points at stake so give them a run out. Those that do well and show the right attitude and skill level should then go on to fight for a place in the first team. It must be demoralising for those youngsters seeing incompetent seniors getting started each game. It can only knock their their confidence to think they are not getting picked because the players being picked are better than them. I hope Saturday is the start of some of these youngsters long careers. They'll be more pressure on IH to get ridof the deadwood and less ppressure to bring in more hasbeens once these kids can show their worth. We all know they are good players and want to play for the shirt unlike some of the wage thieves we've currently got.

• December 30, 2014 at 15:28

@southlondon1885: From what I have seen, Jack Powell seems ready, and sid Nelson has shown the same. They are young so will lack consistency, but they deserve a chance. Really not sure about Marquis/O'Brien or Fred yet, really need to see those lads put in a impact performance.

• December 30, 2014 at 16:41

@glyngo: I'm quite sure about Marquis. Runs a lot but is not a championship striker by any stretch of the imagination. I agree they will lack consistency. They need to learn their trade which can only be done at a higher level playing against men rather than same age groups. It's exciting having all these youth but they need to be played. The likeasof Cahill Ifill Sads and Reid had 200 games under their belts in their early 20's. Really hope they get a chance. To be honest I'm sick of seeing us lose all the time but what sickens me much more is that we're losing with no fight or passion. That's why there's nothing to lose playing them because if we lose but they give 100% only idiots will boo them off the pitch whereas those who know a bit will clap and encourage them. COYL.

• December 30, 2014 at 17:26

@glyngo: I thought I was the only who was unsure about Fred
            Don't get me wrong he obviously has something but his last couple appearances for us he looked a little out of his depth. I think ollie has done the right thing in loaning him out. I don't think he's started a game yet for Wycombe which is a bit dissapointing. I'm sure it will do him the world of good.
            Marquis has done nothing to warrant his extension, he's been out on loan a few times and hasn't done much at each club. Can't see him cutting it tbh, Kevin brannif springs to mind. As for O'brien I think he needs a good season on loan I don't think we're in a position to afford starting births for too many of the kids coming through. I'd definately start Nelson and Powell now that Williams is out for a month. Maybe give fordey a break on Saturday and see what king is made of if he lives upto his namesake then happy days.
            Glad we have a batch of youth coming through but we need to keep em grounded and not expect too much too soon of em. Could be good times ahead.

• December 30, 2014 at 09:15

That's great but we already know that. Why are other players in the squad promoting well, other players in the squad? This isn't news, it's a pile of bull. Lazy journalism.

• December 30, 2014 at 09:15

Jimmy should definitely play again, especially now Williams is suspended, we will need to protect the back four from midfield. As for the penalty, it looked like it was inside the box and Martin shouldn't be sliding in so close to the box anyway. Live and learn.

• December 30, 2014 at 09:21

Sid was terrific against bournemouth, but there were a few issues i had with his performance. I thought he looked really nervous (as any human would be on their debut) which i think made him think too quickly leaving him in positions that could be exploited (the second goal for example). He also slipped a lot, which i put down to nervousness (again, can't blame him). He wasn't great in the air either and hasn't got a very big frame, but he is only 18, and he gave himself a fantastic platform to build on. Looking forward to seeing the goodman-nelson partnership in the future, but first they need experience. How's goodman getting on at wimbledon anyone?

• December 30, 2014 at 09:49

@mfclions: I agree totally with you that Sid gave a man of the match performance but I thought he did not look the least bit nervous. There was a a small passage of play in the second half where he was closed down very quickly and had there was an interchange of passes with him as the king pin between our players and he looked very cool. Have to say that if that is a sample of what we have in the academy, if we can get through this season and still be in this league I think we could be OK next.

• December 30, 2014 at 09:55

@mfclions: disagree with you I'm afraid, I thought he looked pretty comfortable and plenty of others sitting around me were saying the same. Also I think his build is right, dint look skinny but maybe wed all look different standing next to shittu!

• December 30, 2014 at 12:31

@mfclions: fair enough to those who disagree. I'm not always right, but I'm sure we can all agree that we have some excellent youngsters

• December 30, 2014 at 14:13

@mfclions: that we can agree on, if we all agreed then Ollie would only have to come on this site to pick a team, formation and transfer targets to keep all the fans happy. The one thing we can all accept is that what ever division we are in we will still go to the Den have a moan at the ref's, complain about the pies and price of beer. As someone once said " choose a team carefully as it is for life".

• December 30, 2014 at 09:27

On an unrelated note, i just remembered harford's in france isn't he? There's a player for monaco called anthony martial, an 18/19 year old stricker with pace and power who apparently is really good. I'd like us to have a look at him at least.

• December 30, 2014 at 09:53

@mfclions: I know the kid.... apparently Man City are scouting him! Good luck Mick!!

• December 30, 2014 at 09:33

I watched him all game and he's very vocal a bit like robbo,so let's hope he can move on and be a fixture like robbo.

• December 30, 2014 at 10:13

@eddielarge: i did think what a stupid game to baptise sid..could of picked blackpool instead of bournemouth...need'nt of worried tough cos sid was excellent

• December 30, 2014 at 10:31

@Jim28: Started edgy to be fair but that was to be expected,but he just got better as it went on.

• December 30, 2014 at 09:41

a) Good to see Jimmy Back on Sat but he is needed in front of our fragile back 4 giving them some protection. Maybe 4-2-3-1 is needed until we stabilise things.
    b) Only Williams and Edwards of Holloway's (12) signings have been up to Champ standard so let's give more young players a run in the team and get rid of the seniors not earning their wage
    c) We might go down, probably will, but if we have blooded four or five youngsters the second half of the season won't be a waste.

• December 30, 2014 at 09:48

The younger players need to be played more. The are not jaded like the rest of the rot we have in our ranks.

Although I do think we need Bailey back in the side. I know he's not the answer long term but he is solid.

Slipped into the bottom, wonder if panic as set in yet at Lions HQ?

• December 30, 2014 at 09:59

@tezza_mm: I agree that Bailey would be an improvement to this current team. I just don't know if he is fit enough yet, anyone know how his recovery is going?

• December 30, 2014 at 10:09

@glyngo: didn't he have yet another setback last month.... don't think we're going to see much more of him to be honest.

• December 30, 2014 at 09:54

I also thought that Gueye looked to have no confidence at all, constantly looking to lay off a ball and not take people on, strange really as when he first came I thought that would be a big part of his game.

• December 30, 2014 at 10:06

@lennie the lion: Nail on the head mate - No confidence whatsoever! According to a fella I know who's an Everton supporter he's supposed to have good feet and plenty of trickery!!

• December 30, 2014 at 10:10

@lennie the lion: to be fair to him.he has struck up a understanding with greggs.& trys to find him with some good passes..but your right he didn't look 100%

• December 30, 2014 at 10:21

@lennie the lion: I think that is precisely why we should now inject youth into the squad.........they have no fear, they are not part of the squad who have lost confidence, they will play their natural game (hopefully), and maybe the likes of Maggie will see that and then play his natural game. I believe we could accomodate four or five from the dev squad in the first team right now, and the performances will improve. If IH has a cast iron contract, as some have alluded to, then he can now show us all, ( a la Van Gaal) whether he has the balls to have a spring clean of the squad, I am positive that he will get 100% backing from the Millwall faithful whilst at same time get us out of trouble

• December 30, 2014 at 11:09

@eio: yes but with a lot of contracts up in May do we pay them off now or wait and save a few sheckles long run it serves us better to pay them off now free up wages for janurary or b patient and see if we can get rid to another team in janurary.

• December 30, 2014 at 12:36

@spartacus: To be honest if anybody comes in with offers for any of the non triers or crap players we should get rid straightaway. If the rumours are true and Malone is being chased by Cardiff, we should get a fee for him and get rid. I cannot see anybody wanting any of the rest of the squad except Williams, who should be kept as he is a class act although he has let us all down with his stupidity in the match against Bournemeouth.

Keep hearing about IH tactics and that the players cannot play different systems, that must be because they are stupid........a fact borne out by them making the same mistakes time and again, match after match. The same applies to IH if he persists with his system of play, it is not working now and has not for some considerable time, so he needs to tailor the method of play to the capabilities of the players............keep it simple, because that is what they are.

• December 30, 2014 at 10:58

These reports are all very well but the fact remains that Millwall have slipped down into the bottom three, and could well be second from bottom tonight if Wigan win. The team's record is atrocious, only 1 win in 19 of last games. A manager who is more like the Captain of the Titanic and seems to be taking us down. There are no excuses and the board have to take the major share of responsibility. I notice little comment from their direction. Wes Brom have just sacked their manager when will the board have the courage to do the same? A change of manager is needed asap.

• December 30, 2014 at 11:23

@Peckhamlad: Peckham I tend to agree with you BUT would anyone good enough come to us and put there reputation if they were of the calibre that we need to get us out of this. I know this will go down like a lead balloon but if they did change and told them that if we go down he would still have time next season to rebuild to come back in 16/17.

If Ollie does manage to keep us up and I hope he does, then the board should already be looking at who will come in at the end of this season as manager, because we cant have a fourth season on the bounce like the previous three.

• December 30, 2014 at 11:36

@Barnlion: could the teams performances be down to players not knowing if they have a future..if the players are good enough give em 3yr deals if not tell em to do one

• December 30, 2014 at 12:11

@Jim28: Jim, if you are in a s*** team and u play s*** not many other clubs will be looking at u would u agree & even if they think they don't have a future at our club, then they must be looking at who will employ them, so when they are player for us its just like us having an interview. Impress and we will employ you.

But I am sure it is down to the systems and tactics that they are asked to play different nearly every game.

• December 30, 2014 at 12:32

@Barnlion: fair point

• December 30, 2014 at 11:25

@Peckhamlad: What disappoints me most is that we have stopped playing like a team and now look like individuals looking after ourselves again. Ollie had my support before as we were playing good football, I want to see us start preforming as a unit again and Ollie will continue to have my support. He has to earn his corn now and get the squad he has working for each other. If he can't manage that by end of the season then I will certainly be asking whether he should stay or not.

• December 30, 2014 at 11:31

@glyngo: He has had long enough, Holloway seems to have lost the confidence of his team. I have no confidence in him at all. Some people say who will want to take his place? Same can be said of what player will want to join a struggling club? A new manager may attract batte players and give the team a new lease of life.

• December 30, 2014 at 11:27

To be honest I would like to see Holloway go but there is no 1 else out there that can change these players none of them care about our club except our youth squad we need a massive clear out and I have heard that malone is definitely in talks with Cardiff His agent confirmed I would just love to c the players wear the shirt with pride and go out on to the pitch and give a 100 percent

• December 30, 2014 at 11:32

Half the season left 6 wins and we stay up,let's be positive,happy new year and nothing from me until we start the fire sale.

• December 30, 2014 at 12:09

@eddielarge: 6 wins gives us 39 points, you don't stay up with that amount of points! We would love to be positive, but when you play a home game and don't have a shot on target it hardly gives you inspiration !

• December 30, 2014 at 12:54

The way I see things is if were going to get relagated at least go down trying the kids out ie nelson king ect, if he can bring in a striker, left back, two lively wingers we might just do it, the likes of woolford, martin, fuller, and more can all p*** off.

• December 30, 2014 at 13:03

@foxy: if we are 100% certain for the drop then by all means play the lads so they can get used to playing week in week out in the 1st team..but its up to the bunch who got us in s*** to get us out..i said last year we wouldn't go down.i still stand by that

• December 30, 2014 at 12:56

So many people writing OLLIE OUT, on player 2 weeks ago in deano standings interview with berylson he describes holloway as "one of the best managers in England "now this is our chairman saying this,so Ollie ain't going nowhere weather we like it or not if he thinks that .So many wanted JACKETT out, so many wanted lomas out and now so many want this bloke out, but has keep changing managers been the answer. It seems to me it's got worse . I was watching spurs game v Man U Sunday night, spurs had Harry Kane , andros Townsend,and Ryan mason all playing, To think we had all three playing for us,we also had chris wood and BENIK afobe under JACKETT , now look at us.

• December 30, 2014 at 13:45

@bordersarebest0170: CORRECT but to be fair we didn't have a chance of signing any of those players except Chris wood and we f***** that up, we showed no intent then and its the same now.

• December 30, 2014 at 15:33

@eddielarge: We did f*ck up the Chris Wood deal, he chose to go to club that had a better chance of Prem football and that could match and better any financial offer we put on the table. I really don't blame the club at all, we went up to £1M and that was all we should and did offer.

• December 30, 2014 at 14:04

The general rule is that 50 points is the safe mark but Peterborough went down with 54 points two years ago. I will go on record and say I hope Ollie stays we started to play good football at the start of the season but we are now in 'panic mode' I thought the ugly win at Brighton might just kick start us but another false dawn like the Bournemouth away result before it. If however you are looking for a new manager, surely Bomber would be perfect, he would get a very long honeymoon period with the fans, he would not get blamed if we did go down and the kids team look really useful which means next year, what ever division we are in, the manager/ team bond would be there. A I said I do hope we keep Ollie he kept us up last year so does deserve our loyalty for this season what ever that may bring.

• December 30, 2014 at 16:40

@lennie the lion: I disagree, I really hope he goes, he has done absolutely nothing for the club this season his record is nothing short of appalling.

• December 30, 2014 at 17:27

I cannot understand why anyone still believes that Holloway is a good manager - let alone one of the best in England - the stats clearly show that he is a serial failure and the team performances surely show why. Eventually he will crack and walk away - just like at Palace - but hopefully with enough games left to avoid relegation.
      If Holloway stays I cannot see anyone wanting to join a club in such a mess during the January window unless they or their club are desperate. And I cannot imagine why a premiership club would lend anyone to such a clown unless it was for a very big fee or the player was a problem.
      Let's hope the JB comments were the traditional vote of confidence given to managers just before the axe falls!

• December 30, 2014 at 18:39

How's this for Bradford.
    King
    Wilkingson Nelson beevers Briggs
    Powell abdou
    Martin mallone
    Guaye Gregory

Subs: Forde dunne shittu Upson
    Woolford fuller O'brien

• December 30, 2014 at 18:58

I mad at Millwall at the moment , but that my own love affair with this club. Happy new year to everyone on here.

• December 30, 2014 at 19:06

Couple of possible transfers ... Robinson who's been on loan at Preston pacey Young lad scored a few decent goals on loan from Villa I believe. Deal is expiring...
    Dwight Gayle is he injured or can't get a sniff? A cheeky 2 month loan would be welcomed...
    Read on (news now) Celtic having a look at a tranmere player max power who deal is expiring at the end of the season age 21 why are we not having a look?

• December 30, 2014 at 20:08

Jimmy's opinion is good enough for me.