Abdou: Academy product Nelson is a Millwall character

JIMMY Abdou has tipped youngster Sid Nelson for big things at The Den.

Centre back Nelson scooped the man of the match award after his impressive Lions debut against Bournemouth.

And Abdou, who knows what it takes to be a success in SE16, praised the 18-year-old's first appearance for the senior side.

"Sid did well, especially with the atmosphere at the mintue and the run of games we ghave been on," Abdou said. "He did well coming in and had a good game.

"He has shown on the training ground that he's a good lad. He's a Millwall type and showed good character. I think he's going to do well here."

Nelson's performance was one of few positives from Millwall's 2-0 defeat to the Cherries.

"It's hard to take," Abdou added afterwards. "We started well and were doing positive things because we had to come back after our last result. It's disappointing to lose.

"We conceded a lot of goals at Norwich but we're professionals and we tried to do our best on Sunday.

"I think we showed some character and the manager was happy with our performance but sometimes decisions don't help."

The game turned in the 32nd minute when Lee Martin's foul on Charlie Daniels was ruled to have been inside the penalty area.

"I was near to it and it looked outside," added Abdou. "They scored first the first goal when we were doing well. We tried our hardest to get back in the game.

"Bournemouth are a good team but if we'd scored first that would have changed the game."

Abdou was named in Ian Holloway's starting XI for the first time since October.

"I've been training and ready for when the gaffer called on me," said the popular midfielder. "The gaffer picked me on Sunday and I was happy about that.

"I'll give my best, as I've always done in the last few years. I'm happy to come back into the team and hopefully I'm going to get more games."

58 thoughts on “Abdou: Academy product Nelson is a Millwall character

• December 30, 2014 at 09:10

WELL DONE S.NELSON! NOW GIVE OLLIE FUNDS TO BRING NEW GOOD PLAYERS IN, CAUSE " THE ONLY WAY IS UP " - NO ONE LIKES US WE DONT CARE. STORMIN' NORMAN IS LOOKING FORWARD TO A SUCCESSFUL FUTURE AT THE NEW DEN.

• December 30, 2014 at 18:29

I might be mad, but I have the feeling that IH will bring it round, provided he can get a couple of decent signings/loanee's during January. I do think Ollie has a real genuine love/like for the 'Underdog, NOLU' nature of our club. He has got other 'Underdogs' success and promotion before with the correct funding!

• December 30, 2014 at 09:12

More quality in the youth at the moment than some of the so called senior players. I'd like to see OBrien, Fred, Powell, Nelson and King start against Bradford. They need to be blooded. They won't gain strength and experience playing alongside kids of similar ages in U21 etc. Give them all a chance. There's nothing to lose based on the past few performances.

• December 30, 2014 at 09:57

@southlondon1885: I agree that they need games, but just playing them for a single game is not going to help them, they need to be phased into the first team squad. KJ made this mistake often, he would field a young and reserve team squads in early round cup games. The lower league sides often rose to the occasion and the young players never got another game.

• December 30, 2014 at 11:51

@glyngo: I would start them every game mate not just against Bradford. All I'm saying is that in IH mad mind there are no league points at stake so give them a run out. Those that do well and show the right attitude and skill level should then go on to fight for a place in the first team. It must be demoralising for those youngsters seeing incompetent seniors getting started each game. It can only knock their their confidence to think they are not getting picked because the players being picked are better than them. I hope Saturday is the start of some of these youngsters long careers. They'll be more pressure on IH to get ridof the deadwood and less ppressure to bring in more hasbeens once these kids can show their worth. We all know they are good players and want to play for the shirt unlike some of the wage thieves we've currently got.

• December 30, 2014 at 15:28

@southlondon1885: From what I have seen, Jack Powell seems ready, and sid Nelson has shown the same. They are young so will lack consistency, but they deserve a chance. Really not sure about Marquis/O'Brien or Fred yet, really need to see those lads put in a impact performance.

• December 30, 2014 at 16:41

@glyngo: I'm quite sure about Marquis. Runs a lot but is not a championship striker by any stretch of the imagination. I agree they will lack consistency. They need to learn their trade which can only be done at a higher level playing against men rather than same age groups. It's exciting having all these youth but they need to be played. The likeasof Cahill Ifill Sads and Reid had 200 games under their belts in their early 20's. Really hope they get a chance. To be honest I'm sick of seeing us lose all the time but what sickens me much more is that we're losing with no fight or passion. That's why there's nothing to lose playing them because if we lose but they give 100% only idiots will boo them off the pitch whereas those who know a bit will clap and encourage them. COYL.

• December 30, 2014 at 17:26

@glyngo: I thought I was the only who was unsure about Fred
            Don't get me wrong he obviously has something but his last couple appearances for us he looked a little out of his depth. I think ollie has done the right thing in loaning him out. I don't think he's started a game yet for Wycombe which is a bit dissapointing. I'm sure it will do him the world of good.
            Marquis has done nothing to warrant his extension, he's been out on loan a few times and hasn't done much at each club. Can't see him cutting it tbh, Kevin brannif springs to mind. As for O'brien I think he needs a good season on loan I don't think we're in a position to afford starting births for too many of the kids coming through. I'd definately start Nelson and Powell now that Williams is out for a month. Maybe give fordey a break on Saturday and see what king is made of if he lives upto his namesake then happy days.
            Glad we have a batch of youth coming through but we need to keep em grounded and not expect too much too soon of em. Could be good times ahead.

Comments are closed.

You must have an active subscription to view further comments and leave your own.