Nelson debut pleases Millwall boss despite Cherries loss

IAN Holloway praised the performance of 18-year-old debutant Sid Nelson after Millwall were beaten 2-0 by league leaders Bournemouth.

Nelson, a product of the club's youth academy, made his first Lions appearance against the Cherries on Sunday and won the man of the match award with a battling display.

But he couldn't prevent Millwall from slipping to their fourth straight home defeat as goals from Yann Kermorgant and Harry Arter gave the visitors three points.

"After what happened to us the other day at Norwich, I didn't know what I was going to see out there," Holloway said afterwards.

"I saw people give up at Norwich and that was shocking, so I couldn't put up with that. I decided to shake things up, put a kid into the defence and Sid was excellent.

"We had to have some sort of reaction and I got it, so I'm not too unhappy with the players today.

"Sid has given me another option at the back. He was fantastic. He's only 18 years-old. Brilliant – that's all I can say. That's Millwall for you – his whole family are fans.

"He gave everything and didn't stop. I told him earlier today that he'd be starting. We had to walk through things yesterday because none of the ones who played at Norwich could train.

"Sid was my man of the match."

Kermorgant opened the scoring from the penalty spot after Lee Martin's trip on Charlie Daniels.

But the Lions felt Martin's challenge was made outside the box.

"I expected a free kick to be given, not a penalty," Holloway said. "If you watch it back, I couldn't believe how quickly the referee blew the whistle.

"You've got to be 100 percent sure and to be honest he's 200 percent wrong, because it was outside the box. But did we need to make the tackle? No."

Shaun Williams was sent off in the closing stages after tangling with striker Callum Wilson and Holloway said the midfielder's conduct was "unforgivable".

"It was ridiculous," he added. "Shaun was wronged – he was picked up off the floor and thrown over. Willo had to stay down because maybe their man would've been in trouble.

"He shouldn't have retaliated – he was asking for trouble. That's not the way to please our crowd. I've told Willo that's ridiculous and I'm not accepting that.

"He can't respond like that."

58 thoughts on “Nelson debut pleases Millwall boss despite Cherries loss

• December 28, 2014 at 18:48

sid will be dropped for the next game then.

• December 28, 2014 at 18:49

You won't need to worry about Williams hell be snapped up for pennies in January.

• December 28, 2014 at 20:15

@Adsy77777: whats unbelievable him saying we need reinforcements seems pretty apparent to me. 3 managers have struggled with this ageing squad. Holloway has always said that his first year and a hlaf would be hard due to dead wood running out this year. Once that happens we will have a much larger wage budget to build a squad that is the one Holloway wants. A club like ours needs stability and I believe that once given a chance Holloway will deliever and we will progress. What we have to remember is hoyte Bailey and chaplow have a wage of about 20k between them which for 3 appearances this year is a joke. That money is the wages that can bring someone new and better in. THE MAIN PROBLEM IS AMBLER, EASTER CHAPLOW AND HOYTE WERE ALL GIVEN CONTRACTS WHEN THE CLUB WAS WITHOUT A MANAGER DUE TO "VERBAL AGREEMENTS" THAT SHOWS p*** POOR MANAGEMENT AND IS COSTING US. AMBLER IS CLEARLY CLUELESS. COYL

• December 28, 2014 at 20:43

@MillwallChorister: What is unbelievable is that we lose 2-0 at home with barely a shot at their goal and he is 'not unhappy'. Players are brought in to the starting line-up and disappear the next game. The players have lost confidence in the manager, the crowd have lost confidence in the team.
        If he was not unhappy today, then maybe it's because he has a long lucrative contract. I'm just one of the poor idiots who pay my money to follow my team. Me? I'm unhappy.

• December 28, 2014 at 20:51

@Adsy77777: he said he was not unhappy with the effort but was with the quality which is fair. I think it is just a lack of confidence which is why we are doing so badly and yes partly that comes from the manager but I believe they still have confidence in OLLY. Fresh blood in January and we will do better.

• December 28, 2014 at 21:04

@MillwallChorister: I read it different mate, but I sincerely hope you are right. Unfortunately, nothing that I am seeing or hearing, or anything in his managerial record that he keeps referring to fills me with much confidence.

• December 28, 2014 at 23:35

@MillwallChorister: I appreciate he hasn't had millions to spend and I share your feelings about Ambler. But Holloway's still made a lot of signings which have mainly been poor. Yes, Williams looks good, as did Edwards - and Gregory could yet come good. But Briggs, Webster, Gueye, Martinez and even Upson haven’t inspired much confidence.

Meanwhile, his loan signings have been awful - Ranegie, Campbell and Jackson were the worst offenders, but Garvan, Fuller, Wilkinson & Fredericks also failed to bring much to the squad. Plus there’s been the desperate short-term signings of Bessone and Majerhofer – and why-oh-why did he extend the contracts of Marquis and Easter?

• December 29, 2014 at 01:41

@Micky Lions: Agree and disagree. Edwards Williams and gregory good and i also think wilkinson has been a good replacement for edwards. Briggs poor i agree with. Gueye has scored goals that have already won us points so has offered some worth. Upson and Martinez I personally beleive have been okay but i agree could be better. Maierhofer joining was the main reason we went on that unbeaten run as he held it up. WE could certainly do with that away from home this year

• December 29, 2014 at 09:04

@MillwallChorister: He's playing the wrong players mate. Of course Sid was going to play well, he's a baller. Powell's a baller, so is Fred. Ollie rates McDonald? Fuller still? Woolford? Dunne? Its laughable. Of course we want stability, and not to sack the manager, everyone likes Ollie, but you do realise he is playing a rotational squad every week where he will tell you that players are suffering from illness or injured, when they are not. He plays a ridiculous formation, and if we keep him, he will get us relegated. Disagree, then put money on it then? Talk is cheap. We are 11/8 to go down now- no surprise.

We all like Ollie, but he hasn't got a clue what he is doing. Play the ballers Ollie, not the players who try hard, and kiss your ass. Give it 6 weeks, you'll see, I noticed it 3 months ago, you guys must be slow, very slow. Wait and see then. When he brings back Dunne next game, instead of Sid, what will be his excuse? injured calf? hip? illness? Wake up people. Pulis would sort out this mess in under a month.

• December 28, 2014 at 18:50

He has lost the dressing room - big time.
    Please just go.

• December 28, 2014 at 20:56

How do you know he has lost the dressing room?

• December 28, 2014 at 18:55

Powell was man of the match on his debut then we did'nt see him for 3 months! Talking about more options PLEASE NO!! TOTALLY NUTTS!!!!1

• December 28, 2014 at 21:36

Exactly right. How many players does he f****** need.

• December 28, 2014 at 18:55

RUBBISH , A SECOND TIER FOOTBALL CLUB , WITH A 35 YEAR OLD , AND A UNPROVEN STRIKER , NO BACKUP , POOR OLLIE , NO EXCUSE

• December 28, 2014 at 18:59

Stayed at home and saved best part of £100 see Holloway I've voted with my head and my feet even though my heart is and always will be Millwall
    Where you are taking us is what we are left with unlike you once your gone Wall belongs to the fans not Nutters like you
    Berylson act sooner than later not only will we be relegated but 7000 or less will be the bottom line how deep are your pockets?????

• December 28, 2014 at 20:05

@southstand: The club must know what a huge blunder they've made again. They can either stick with Holloway (and definitely see us relegated with ever-decreasing attendances) or they can swallow their pride and give us a fighting chance with a better manager - just like Bolton, Birmingham and Fulham have already done.

If they do the right thing, it's important the club get sound footballing advice and not just go for another cheap option or panic celebrity appointment.

• December 28, 2014 at 22:58

@SE14: Maybe not Fulham, but Bolton and Birmingham are financially far worse off than us. Lennon and Rowett are probably on less money than Holloway.

I really don't like sacking managers, but I don't think Holloway leaves us much choice. I honestly had more confidence in Lomas than him. He'll take us down this season and I wouldn't rule-out him then getting us relegated from the 1st Division.

• December 28, 2014 at 19:00

We were totally without threat, im not slagging them off just stating a fact, bournemouth wont have an easier game the rest of this season, god knows how we get out of this , we need five forwards tomorrow .

• December 28, 2014 at 19:21

Well done Sid, it's great to see someone progress through the ranks. Early days but he could be around for a long time.

• December 28, 2014 at 19:30

@Vinny Shell: Progress all you like,under IH it does not matter because the bloke dont know what he is doing or he would stick with the form players. Especially the young ones, what good does it do for them after playing well then being dropped and not even in the squad. How else do young players come through the system. Not the mad ones way.

• December 28, 2014 at 19:27

on the grape vine we've bid 600k for afobe and arsenal have accepted it, just terms to sort out. we were poor today, sid had a great debut, not a pen, second looked miles off , but when your struggling you get s*** decisions.

• December 28, 2014 at 21:34

I think the best thing to do now is pay off some of the 24 out of contract players in the summer to bring in funds. People saying about Afobe he is not the answer not to good on his previous spell. Why not put 600k bid in for Chris Wood? Keep faith in Holloway

• December 29, 2014 at 08:27

@bish2013: how will paying off the outbid contract players bring in funds?

Rather than using up a big chunk of money in jan that's needed on players just tell them they can look for a new club and not to bother turning up to the ground. (Must have a negative effect on the rest of the players).

• December 29, 2014 at 09:10

@MFC Lion: If they can get 20k for the players that's as a whole lol. I think Holloway is just trying to please everyone needs to be more like Mourinho stick with the best team

• December 28, 2014 at 19:30

I'm disappointed in williams. Mainly because that bournemouth w***** still had a head on his shoulders.

• December 28, 2014 at 19:39

I would be happy with Afobe, plays two good games scores three. Benched.

• December 28, 2014 at 19:44

We seem to have lost our way since Carlos Edwards got injured , maybe he could offer some advice to our management team of coaches how to defend and how to counter . It would help if we had some consistency in the foundation of the team and reverted to a 4-4-2 system . WE are moaning about a
    striker we have Gregory if he was deployed as a striker rather than running all over the place give him a partner then find the midfield , the midfield that finished to day before Williams got sent off was better that the first half so let us bring in UPSON and let McDONOLD pull a few strings he played a lovley through ball late t to Fuller the linsman saw it as offside .Then we had the back four we had 2 left backs one carrying an injury ? a very young centre half and sadly a very tired Danny shittu , lets start With Wilkenson Beevers Dunne there a space to fill any suggestions

• December 28, 2014 at 19:52

Was not there today, but i was at Norwich and was in a pub with some Norwich mates of mine, i said it would be 3 or 4 nil and they thought I was mad, yes i was. I underestimated how poor we were. We were awful which is worse than poor. I don't like to blame the manager, but what is going on, has he lost the changing room,
    Anyone have any idea ???????

• December 28, 2014 at 20:04

@First game 1966: I said after the Norwich game that looking at the players body language that he had lost the dressing room and I've no reason to change my mind today.

• December 28, 2014 at 20:09

@First game 1966: He has lost the dressing room, lost the plot, lost his marbles; unfortunately, the only thing he hasn't lost is his job!

• December 28, 2014 at 20:27

@Adsy77777: well I think ollie is a tactical genius and the players are letting him down........... Just f****** with you, ollie truly is the mental one. If he went, who would we honestly get though?

• December 28, 2014 at 20:17

Is this manager for real? I cannot believe the twaddle he comes out with. "I'm not too unhappy with the players today." Anyone know a pantomime he could act in, perhaps as the mad hatter?

• December 28, 2014 at 20:19

Nelson well done Fred and goodman both started for their league 2 clubs and Powell we got good youth play them before we lose them like malone(I know he wasn't from youth) but still we keep losing good Young players. As for today yes Callum Wilson was a cnut all day and forde should of sorted him earlier or shittu he is the type of striker we need and the ref givin that week ass pen knocked what little wind we had in our sails right out.

• December 28, 2014 at 21:38

@wongo: The fact you need to ask, shows he's clearly not setting the world a-light anywhere else, he snubbed us for bigger things. We have enough who don't give a f*** about the club, we don't need more!!!

• December 28, 2014 at 22:26

I've watched football for many a year now and like most of us have learned a thing or two. It is therefore apparent to me that this man is skilled in one thing, talking absolute b*llocks. I cannot listen to him anymore.

• December 28, 2014 at 22:44

Just watched Burnley 2-2 at Man City on MOTD.. Same 11 for the 5th game running apparently, so they only played a few days ago. Who needs rotation?

• December 29, 2014 at 00:01

@24seven: Bang on, but according to some on here its down to not enough fans at the games, s*** players he inherited, no financial backing blah,blah,blah.
      But surely ANY manager worth his salt who inherited a squad, added half a dozen to it and had year with it would know the best 11 by now and just stick with it??? We are Millwall not Real Madrid, so just put round pegs in round holes and let them get on with it, play 442 and let them try to put some pride back into the club.

• December 29, 2014 at 00:29

DD - Yeah need to get back to basics, which is usually 4-4-2, as need a very good prolific striker if only playing one up front (which we obviously haven't got, as not even any shots on target lately).
        Suppose to have transfers lined up for Jan window, so lets see what that brings.. probably more bench warmers and rotation tho i suppose ?

• December 29, 2014 at 10:16

@24seven: You are spot on.
      Two reasons for this :
      1) All British side that just get on with it not mamby pamby foreigners.
      2) And the biggest thing - THEY ARE PLAYING FOR THE MANAGER AND FANS.

• December 29, 2014 at 01:25

I've said before that now is the wrong time to throw the kids in the firing line, today I was proved wrong by young Sid Nelson, I've seen what Powell can do and a little of Fred when he's played. Please Please play them next week along with Siafa at RB and O'Brien and lets see what happens. I've been brought up on us playing 442 and it works. Whilst I'm at it I was also brought up on tough tackling defenders can anyone tell me has Malone ever been booked for us or at least made a hard challenge for the ball? For someone a lot of readers on here raved about until recently I've never seen a half decent cross or a full blooded challenge, young Sid put him to shame today. Next month will hopefully be busy with players going and a few joining. How can you have a happy work place when there is someone like Hoyte taking a wage and doing nothing for it, and I don't think he's the only one. There is to many players in the squad but most of them should only be squad players and not first team regulars. I started this praising Sid Nelson on his debut but would he have got his chance under Jackett or Lomas I don't think so, it may not look like it but maybe Ollie is looking to the future and giving the kids a few games here and there. It's something that we've not done for years, all we've done is gone and spent money we didn't have on people we may not have needed. At the end of the season if we finish in the bottom 3 so be it but at least then we will lose a lot of the big earners and we can start again, but wherever we are next season I'll be there supporting the team and not getting on their backs if/when things go wrong.
    KEEP ROARING!!!

• December 29, 2014 at 02:36

@uncle albert: true Albert, put the kids up, give em a crack and be patient. If we gunna lose games then it may as well be with an eye to the future. Might even rejuvenate some of the senior players. But get some consistency in the lineups. I hardly ever see the games due to distance but love the enthusiasm of youth and the hope that new talent can offer. Let's go hard at it every game weather it's on the pitch or in the stands. That's the millwall way. Happy new year to all.

• December 29, 2014 at 04:04

@grassgrower: I 100% agree play the youth and seeing as Edwards is out and wilkinson is ok but not exceptional(maybe a 1season patchwork player) so try out siafa but don't simply chuck all the youngsters out at once and see what happens. Yes we wouldn't slate the youngsters but we would get crucified nelson and shittu is good as it keeps him grounded with that guardian over his shoulder giving him words of wisdom on the pitch. Play siafa as RB for the rest of the season if he's any good and keep rotating nelson with goodman giv both youngsters playing time/experience without leaving us with a inexperienced defence. This is shittus last good season (using my the word good loosely) and we ain't got robbo either and I don't wanna throw these youngsters into the fire next season unready so we got 3 months to get these youngsters ready for next season.

• December 29, 2014 at 04:12

Also holloway made a massive mistake by not bringing enough of his own players jackett made his players his and lomas used a scattergun approach to his signings and see who is good answer il ring not many if that. Holloway signed a few players and tried turning the existing s*** into his players. He has definitely realised now that won't work so he is making his own players in these youngsters it's not ideal short term but see what happens and if we do good business in janurary we will b ok. But we essentially need to offload our s*** all of them and let holloway build his own squad and interweave it with these youngsters that is our future and the only way we will ever get stronger in this league.

• December 29, 2014 at 04:38

@spartacus: thanks for the feedback mate, yeh the kids need some miles in the legs but have some experience near em. Hopefully there,l be some schrewd deals done to bolster the stocks and help bring this young talent on . Cheers.

• December 29, 2014 at 09:02

Throwing kids in wholesale now could destroy them. I don't actually think any of the senior players we have are awful for a mid-table Championship team; but from yesterday's performance they are clearly unsure how to play. It's not hard to sit down and work out the best player for each position in a 4-4-2 formation and stick to it. But as someone said on here, Holloway is David Brent, or probably a poor man's Graham Taylor (which is saying something), so he won't do what a blind man on a galloping horse could see needs to happen. What concerns me most is what these past 3 seasons are doing to our support. I live outside of London now so we don't get to all home games but my 10 year old son is struggling to hold his head up in a playground full of Chelsea and Arsenal supporters. He is a 4th generation supporter going back to the 1920s but he gave me a look yesterday as if to say "what am I doing here?"

• December 29, 2014 at 09:04

Williams you complete plank.what the f*** he tought he could achieve by stamping on a player i dont know.not the first time this season he has got a red card..like then he was applauded off the pitch.now he'll be sitting at home for 3 games..thanks for fuckall you moron

• December 29, 2014 at 10:06

@Jim28: Right out of character for him seems a quite bloke. I feel for the guy he has been one of best players and he has come to a point where he has just lost it, Just give you an insight into how frustrated the players are. We will miss him ! But these things what are happening to our club are meant to be. I still think things will change for us I really do Jim. I feel things WILL change soon! We have to have all this pain it's millwall what's new? Onwards and upwards Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

• December 29, 2014 at 09:47

if dunne had been sent off people on here would have a field day. Can't understand the mentality of getting yourself sent off. He probably got envite to a New Years party & didn't want to let them down. Unlike his teammates.

• December 29, 2014 at 18:07

After watching nelson yesterday fitted into the squad well was comfortable on the ball didn't panic had all the markings of a young robbo just need to keep him in and boost his confidence