Holloway hopes Millwall fans back team against Cherries

IAN Holloway admits he is unsure what kind of reception will greet him and his players when they return to The Den to face Bournemouth tomorrow.

Lions fans have been outraged by a 6-1 loss to Norwich City on Boxing Day and their mood is unlikely to have improved just 48 hours after defeat at Carrow Road.

But Holloway hopes the crowd will be supportive as his side take on the league leaders.

"What we need is for our fans to be with us and behind us," he said. "But I don't know what they're going to be like until I get to the ground.

"I hope the fans aren't too bad when we come out – let's hope they get behind us instead of criticising because that's not going to help anybody's confidence."

Lee Gregory looks set to return to Millwall's starting XI having started the Norwich game on the bench.

"I've tried to pick two teams – one for Norwich and one for Bournemouth," said Holloway.

"That's why I made three substitutions at the end because we haven't got enough bodies in the right areas.

"That is why Gregory was on the bench. I didn't want to start him and Ricardo Fuller in the same game.

"I was hoping we'd get through the game in half-decent shape, then take Fuller off and put Gregory on.

"With two games in 48 hours, I knew that's going to be tough for one or two of my boys. We haven't got the squad that Norwich have."

Bournemouth are the first opponent that the Lions will play for the second time this season, having drawn 2-2 in the reverse fixture in November.

"Every game is different and we've got to do things a lot better than that, otherwise it won't be very pleasant," Holloway added.

"We drew with Bournemouth a couple of weeks ago having been 2-0 down. That wasn't that long ago so things weren't all wrong then.

"What the Norwich result is going to do [to the players], who knows. But it's certainly not going to help me if I criticise them.

"We can do a lot better than that and we're going to have to. I don't accept that. Did I anticipate that happening? No.

"We've got half the season left to get better than this. Based on our last performance, we're a long way behind where I want us to be and that's the challenge.

"Watching that was horrible but I will be encouraging, working hard and trying to make us better. That's why I came here.

"If it's not happening, let's have a look at the squad and see if we can change it around."

Meanwhile, Holloway has admitted for the first time that the contract uncertainty at the club could be affecting results and performances.

"Next summer we've got 24 out-of-contract and maybe that's starting to worry them," he said.

"They don't know where their futures are or what's happening. Maybe that's too big a thing.

"I would imagine they should play really well to try to get a contract with us or somewhere else. Who knows? You might have to ask some of the players."

53 thoughts on “Holloway hopes Millwall fans back team against Cherries

• December 27, 2014 at 15:15

I'm sure we will all get behind the team tomorrow whatever but it would be nice if Ollie could put out a team that we, as supporters of our team, understand. It would be nice if we could start with tactics and a formation the we, and the players, can understand. It would be great if the players could all put in a performance, both as individuals, and as a team that is worthy of the support we give them.

• December 27, 2014 at 15:27

@Adsy77777: well said that man spot on. Wot we don't want is fans just turning up to hav a moan these players must be s******* it lets show wot millwall is all about & get behind em from the start. Coyl.

• December 27, 2014 at 16:24

@block 28: sorry to disagree but with a 4 hours round trip and petrol plus the game etc I want bloody everything including blood and guts if there not prepared to give 200% stay in the F.....g changeling room or take the consequences
        Pussies

• December 27, 2014 at 15:40

@Adsy77777: totally agree mate, we will always back the boys. But IH you have to make the big changes tomorrow, starting with Forde! Sid nelson to come in for Shittu and get Fred back all he's doing is sitting on Wycombes bench not good for his confidence

• December 27, 2014 at 15:29

Boxing Day is know history so learn from it and play a settled team. As for getting behind the team tomorrow absolutely no problem. I'll sing and cheer when they come out as I've done for the past 52 years.
    COYL

• December 27, 2014 at 15:30

You'll be lucky if anyone shows up Ollie after 1 win in 20 odd working class fans ain't got the money to waste. The players are a joke, the worst I have seen in years. And your tactics are just as bad. Play Jimmy and 5o or 6 of the youth lot. At least losing a fighting battle has pride!!!

• December 27, 2014 at 15:52

@foxy: yeah. something needs to be done and quick! major problems at our club.

• December 27, 2014 at 16:09

@foxy:

WE WILL GET AWAY WITH 9/10,OOO BECAUSE Bournemouth WILL BRING 1500
      it scary even thinking what they will be doing in training today

what is the thought process
      macdonald back in? woolford , wliko - who is fit ? abdou, upson back in etc etc - anyone potentially could play - it is chaotic - a total mess - it is so bad that you can't even contemplate what might happen - I am trying to here, but it is unfathomable - I defy anyone to name the team tomorrow

• December 27, 2014 at 18:07

@foxy: FOXY, SEE YOU IN THE BLUE ANCHOR AFTER 12.15 TOMORROW, ( STORMIN' NORMAN).

• December 27, 2014 at 15:38

It seems we haven't got the squad of the rose&crown never mind Norwich.

• December 27, 2014 at 15:40

That's right ollie, you change things around! Cos that always works for you! You should worry more about the teams performance than the fans, cos your gonna get stick regardless

• December 27, 2014 at 16:00

TO OLLIE - PLEASE GOD YOU READ THIS

Ollie, if you didn't start games in such negative ways we might be able to get into it as a crowd - Bolton was a the latest in a wave of home matches where we play one up and give the initiative to the oppo from the outset - so of course the fear and frustration is passed onto the team because it is justified - we are rubbish at the start so what do you expect - same as Norwich , play fuller and hope to hold on for a while, that is what you are saying - well it is negative and we lose any way, so why not lose having a go at it

it is very poor stuff Ollie - no other explanation will do - when we do go direct at home because we are losing , we can't play it - we knock long balls and no one follows up the knock downs or scrappy second balls - we make up our tactics as games go along - it is amateur - and to blame it on contracts is a total joke and the latest in a long line of explanations which miss the core point , NAMELY, WE HAVE NO REGOGNISABLE STYLE OF PLAY - THE PLAYERS ARE TOTALLY CONFUSED AND WE HAVE NO HOPE UNLESS YOU CHANGE THIS - STOP TALKING b******* ALL THE TIME AND DO SOMETHING SENSIBLE

• December 27, 2014 at 16:13

@timchimes: spot on Timchimes!!! So he's gonna mix it all up AGAIN!! FFS!!! The man is clueless and I hate saying it because I want him and my club to succeed, I get no pleasure putting the knife into him, but he just has no idea of playing a simple 4-4-2 and getting a few crosses in for TWO strikers to maybe get on the end of, it does not have to be complex. Every week I watch the players run around and they do not know what they are supposed to be doing. All this chopping and changing the team, they have no chance of building up any sort of understanding with each other. Many have said it....keep it simple, keep a settled 11, keep a simple 4-4-2 and get as many crosses in as possible and im sure that with 2 strikers up front (maybe fuller knocking down and holding it up for gregory) they will convert some of them into goals.

• December 27, 2014 at 16:14

@timchimes: spot on Timchimes!!! So he's gonna mix it all up AGAIN!! FFS!!! The man is clueless and I hate saying it because I want him and my club to succeed, I get no pleasure putting the boot into him, but he just has no idea of playing a simple 4-4-2 and getting a few crosses in for TWO strikers to maybe get on the end of, it does not have to be complex. Every week I watch the players run around and they do not know what they are supposed to be doing. All this chopping and changing the team, they have no chance of building up any sort of understanding with each other. Many have said it....keep it simple, keep a settled 11, keep a simple 4-4-2 and get as many crosses in as possible and im sure that with 2 strikers up front (maybe fuller knocking down and holding it up for gregory) they will convert some of them into goals.

• December 27, 2014 at 16:14

@timchimes: spot on Timchimes!!! So he's gonna mix it all up AGAIN!! The man is clueless and I hate saying it because I want him and my club to succeed, I get no pleasure putting the boot into him, but he just has no idea of playing a simple 4-4-2 and getting a few crosses in for TWO strikers to maybe get on the end of, it does not have to be complex. Every week I watch the players run around and they do not know what they are supposed to be doing. All this chopping and changing the team, they have no chance of building up any sort of understanding with each other. Many have said it....keep it simple, keep a settled 11, keep a simple 4-4-2 and get as many crosses in as possible and im sure that with 2 strikers up front (maybe fuller knocking down and holding it up for gregory) they will convert some of them into goals.

• December 27, 2014 at 16:17

@Marshlion: sorry my post came out 3 times everyone, I wasn't trying to be greedy. The first 2 times it said ' publication failed try again'!

• December 27, 2014 at 17:34

@Marshlion: never mind maybe 3 post might catch IH attention instead of goals flying in tomorrow

• December 27, 2014 at 16:02

This is the first year for about 8 I've not had a season ticket and thank god! I won't be wasting my money tomorrow or again until something changes. Something has to change and quick or the attendance will drop by the game. League 1 is looking unavoidable unless something or someone changes....

• December 27, 2014 at 16:04

Yet again Mr Holloway opens his mouth and demonstrates he has lost the plot. Is it any wonder eleven lost souls turn out pretending to be a football team when they have this man at the helm?

His odds on the sack are down to 3:1 from 5:1 only a few days ago.

• December 27, 2014 at 16:17

@Jzero:
      yes totally - why is he talking contracts or willie wonka or some other nonsense

we need shape and players to know their jobs - any half organised side can pick up points if they stick to basic details - defend as a team with people knowing their roles - look at brighton , it wasn't good and they were s*** but it is what we have to do every week , as Jackett always says , keep the oppo to one goal and you have a chance - why this is so maddening is that it is so obvious - at what point does IH learn this - to me it is a replica of Lomas - keep throwing the dice

• December 27, 2014 at 17:41

@Jzero: if we lose tomorrow I'd say it's evens IH will be walking

• December 27, 2014 at 16:09

Not like fair weather supporters when the going gets tough!!

• December 27, 2014 at 16:14

5-1 to them and he will get the sack.

• December 27, 2014 at 17:32

if that was the case I would sacrifice another big loss.....he will take us down ....it could be decades before we recover

• December 27, 2014 at 16:15

Behave with fair weather!! The players have been picking and choosing when they turn up all season so I think it's only fair we do!

• December 27, 2014 at 16:23

@disgruntled:

the thing is I will go, but it is hard to take the constant inability of out team to impose itself on games

it s not about being fair weather sometimes (for many fans it is true - as with all clubs) but it is about paying to watch total underachievement and lack of intelligence on the field - if you have ST then okay but if you pay cash and go with family say, you are looking at a minimum of £50 and then there is Bradford and Ipswich coming up - at what point can you justify the expense

• December 27, 2014 at 20:35

@timchimes: even with a season ticket already paid for it's still my time and sitting in the freezing cold watching awful football.

Hardly appeals does it?

• December 27, 2014 at 16:34

It's about the supporters who can make it (and afford it) and then not going to make some sort of silent protest!! as the preferred option would be to go and support your team and then vent your spleen, if we do again get smashed tomorrow without any fight Im pretty sure JB will be taking notes and making decisions, but not going out of protest is just not being a true supporter?

By the way I'm as frustrated as the rest..

• December 27, 2014 at 16:38

Drop Dunn and we will win believe me

• December 27, 2014 at 16:48

As a ST holder I will not go tomorrow and until something changes.
    Fed up to the back teeth with the garbage that occurs every Home game.
    Sick and tired of the Managers tinkering with the team and all his c**p that he comes out with.
    He is losing support game by game and things are just getting worse.
    I am sure the players are as confused as us - although they also are to blame.
    I do not ask for much just the odd performance and result every now and then.
    If we had a half decent Manager I am sure we have enough in the squad to be at least half way.
    End of moan.lol.

• December 27, 2014 at 16:57

I can't even begin to imagine how p***** off the guys that went to Norwich must be, 400 miles to see the reserves getting thumped at Carrow Road

Holloway keeps going on about us sticking with the team when he doesn't stick with a F******* team. This chopping and changing might have worked before but it's just not working for us ! Don't get me wrong I want him to stay because I think he can do well, but only when he learns that putting out weaker teams go against everything that the club stands for, we are never going to be the most technically gifted team in the world, but we should always be able to say we have one of the hardest working which means the best team that is possible goes out every week, End Of!

Holloway, this is where you need to prove yourself to the fans #COYL

• December 27, 2014 at 17:52

@Cookie1997: 400 miles, what way do you go to Norwich. Anyway, unlike the current playing staff at Millwall, I work hard for my money, there is no way I will be spending it at the den right now.

• December 27, 2014 at 17:06

Just had a great chat with Bill lovely old guy in the boozer, he summed it all up perfectly, the manager must spot all the weaknesses and play to his teams strengths. You can not chose a system like 4-2-3-1, and fit players to the system, the system must develop around the players ,if you don't have millions to spend. There's no point playing Maggie or Marquis on the wing. I can just about understand Ollie's setup (just), but it will only work if you have 2 pacy wingers (bit like palarse) and a creative attacking midfielder, who can also score.

I apologise to the fans who i've had a go at on here, I s*** off Dunne and Beevers so much, but I do know they try their hardest- its just in my opinion they do not have the footballing brains to spot balls being played in, and the positions they need to be in- thats all. (they also struggle to create time on the ball, and don't have the vision to see simple passes) Carlos Edwards used to drag 2 opponents to him throughout the match, meaning our central midfield had more space. We miss Carlos big time.

The one thing I just can not get my head round, is why Ollie drops players after they have become Man of the Match in the previous game? Shittu, Abdou, Powell, Gregory, Maggie- even Briggs played a blinder and was dropped next game. I just can't work it out? Its quite bizarre. Must shatter confidence, and make players scratch their heads.

My team would be:
    Forde
    Wilko, Nelson, Williams (for time being only, i know he's our best footballer) Briggs
    Martin, Abdou, Powell, Fred
    Maggie (just behind), Gregory

Its got youth, pace, players playing where they like, and I know Ollie doesn't play 4-4-2, but lets be fair, it can't get much worse. Thanks for pint Bill (if reading), prob one of oldest and knowledgable Millwall fans I ever met. Jim

• December 27, 2014 at 17:22

There is so much whining on here by some fans, but it is the fan base that is a lot of the problem, you say you want better results, a decent squad and yet wall has over a twenty thousand stadium yet only half that if ya lucky is ever filled, where are all these supporters? A bigger gate brings better players, Holloway is doing the best he can with what he's got at hes disposal, who else would want the job? Give him better resorses and he will give results, and what about the board! All these venues ect that they promised to bring in extra revenue!

• December 27, 2014 at 20:20

@Kswiss: There's more than one reason why the Den is only half-full, but performances/results over the past three seasons have played a big part. We don't expect too much at Millwall, but we do want to see players giving 100% and a manager that makes the best of what he's got. Holloway has been a nightmare since he took over - poor signings, awful football and more crap spoken than every manager we've had put-together. If people can't see that, then they're being deluded.

• December 27, 2014 at 23:44

As success breeds success, so failure breeds failure, the crowds will be very small if Holloway carries on as he is doing.
      Mr Holloway might be doing the best he can with the resources at his disposal but his best is just not good enough. There are loads of out of work managers - some good, some bad - so it is highly unlikely that no one at all would want the Millwall job and however bad the bad are they could hardly do worse than Mr Holloway is doing now.
      For what it is worth, I thought Jose Riga did a good job last year at Charlton - but I wonder how much Tony Pulis would cost for a six month stint - with stay up bonus?

• December 27, 2014 at 17:28

The rest of the league have to also play twice in 48 hours, why do we have to pick two different sides??? Are we as a squad really that unfit???

• December 27, 2014 at 19:48

@harry2310: well said. Just before the season started the mental one said he has never seen a fitter squad! Couple of games on he was resting players cos they were tired! Maybe ollie should explain why he makes the decisions he does cos I'm f***** if I can make head nor tail of it. I never expected much of this season but we are a long way in and we haven't got a stable formation let alone team. If we don't go down this season I'd be surprised. As for tomorrow I wouldn't be surprised if it's another spanking.

• December 28, 2014 at 00:15

@harry2310: Harry and Geoff, that is the only way I can make heads or tails of Ollies team selection. He seems paranoid about players picking up injuries when the fixture list gets busy - and I can see the reasoning behind that - but he always seems to go 1or 2 steps too far with it. He did shed a bit of light on his reasoning in his post match interview on lions player - he said that he was going to change 2-3 of the squad regardless of the result at Carrow road..... But now because of that result he said he might make 4,5 or 6 changes.... plot thickens....

Marquis was probably the biggest question mark on the field for me - unfortunately, the lad just isn't up to it in this league - and in a way, it almost becomes a waste of a position when you look at who we had on the bench. Also thought that having Dunne in there for Wilko wasn't the best choice....

Just seems to me that Ollie is trying to think about too many factors at once when he's picking the team - and squad rotation is being given the most emphasis over everything else...

I've got to say, I still empathize with Ollie a bit because we are seriously lacking in key positions... probably more so than any other club he's ever managed.... We can all pick the bones clean discussing OUR squad, OUR problems.. that's hard enough, and Ollie has to get it just right...
      But what we often forget on here is ... look what we're up against! Norwich aren't a bad example - just come down from prem - shed loads of cash - depth in squad... 20 - 25,000 supporters every game... we know OUR figures....
      See you all at the den tomorrow. COYL.

• December 27, 2014 at 18:56

You & YOUR team will get what they deserve.

• December 27, 2014 at 19:49

We haven't got the same squad size as Norwich. Your having a laugh, what you should have said was not as talented. Muppet.

• December 27, 2014 at 19:55

I had a 500 mile round trip to watch a gutless performance which was the worst I had seen in over 50 years of supporting Millwall. I expect a body and soul blood and guts performance from the team. Surely most of them are playing for a contract and they need to show some enthusiasm.

• December 27, 2014 at 20:15

You would think if they were playing for there contracts they might play well,maybe they are just not that good. If not that then why so bad?

• December 27, 2014 at 20:38

Of course we're gonna back Wall. No-one in that ground(apart from bournemouth fans) wants Millwall to lose. But we do our bit by putting money through the turnstiles, and its way after time that the players do their bit. Just sticking on the shirt and prancing about like a bunch of prima-donnas is just not acceptable. Its bad enough losing but withh almost every player refusing to put in a shift it makes the loss even worse. Ollie, you need to sort this rabble out now. If we are going to get stuffed every game you might as well play anybody that shows a bit of gumption and pride putting on the shirt. Enough of these useless fu:?ing wage snatchers, get rid and play footballers prepared to run their sock off for this club or there will be no club worth two bob.

• December 28, 2014 at 00:38

@wallchef: I think the wasters are in the minority and the real problem is that our players are genuinely trying but they just aren't good enough.

• December 27, 2014 at 23:31

Always behind the team just like everyone else on here

• December 28, 2014 at 08:37

I will be there today I'm praying dunne is not playing that man is a wrong un taking money of the club

• December 28, 2014 at 08:42

I told you lot when we first got Ollie he cannot bulid a team, he can take over somebody else team that they build but this clown as got to go

• December 28, 2014 at 09:13

@harrythelion: Sorry to say Harry that I hoped that you were wrong but after nearly 12 months in charge he has proved you right, we may escape just because there could be 3 teams worse than us (lets hope so).