Criticism from stands will spur me on, insists Millwall boss

© Keith Gillard
© Keith Gillard

IAN Holloway says "no amount of stick" will deter him from his job at Millwall.

The Lions travel to Norwich City on Boxing Day having won just two of their last 17 games.

But Holloway has asked fans not to vent their frustrations at his players, insisting he should bear the brunt of the criticism for recent results.

The Millwall boss believes nerves and a jittery atmosphere played a part in Friday's defeat to Bolton, a result which extended the club's dire run of form at The Den.

"We all have to stick together and keep fighting," he said. "If our fans aren't happy with that, take it out on me. If the balance of the squad isn't right, take it out on me.

"What I've got at the minute isn't really working because the lads haven't been getting the right breaks at the right times.

"We should've had a penalty in our last game and their bloke should have been sent off – what more can we do about that? After that decision, the team didn't look the same.

"We dropped a bit and got a bit nervous. We showed a few signs of pressure and we can't allow that pressure to get too much for them. So aim it at me, don't shout at my players.

"The stats speak for themselves over the last few seasons – we haven't been able to win at home. We've won three at home this season and six last year.

"It's upsetting but that is where we are. Without goals in your team, you are going to lose confidence. And when you lose confidence, who's going to be there for you?

"Is it the crowd, the manager or everyone together?"

Holloway accepts that criticism is inevitable when results aren't going well but hopes to take his players out of the firing line.

He added: "If anybody wants to say 'he ain't no good this Holloway', that's fine, no problem. Say what you like but please don't take it out on my players.

"I've never had a situation like this before but put my record up against anyone else's and see if that makes me a bad manager.

"People are entitled to their opinions but I know what I am going to create here in the long-term. And no amount of stick is going to affect what I do, it'll make me more determined.

"But if the players can't handle what is being shouted at them, and it affects them during games, why shout it? Why shout it if it's not helping?

"The vast majority of the crowd are absolutely brilliant and I love it here, but there are one or two who scream abuse when it isn't necessary.

"Sometimes it's harder because of the criticism, which seems to affect people. Would it have affected me when I was a player? Truthfully I don't think so.

"I got more than enough abuse when I played against Millwall and I got plenty of stick from my own fans at QPR. You have to be a certain type of character to deal with that.

"Hopefully we can find those characters in January."

43 thoughts on “Criticism from stands will spur me on, insists Millwall boss

• December 24, 2014 at 09:14

Off with the Mrs to Norwich for the Boxing Day game and I expect a bundle more effort and spirit from Olly's team than shown in recent games. The Millwall way is you give 100% or the crowd get at you. That's the deal. It's all very well for Holloway to say blame me Indeed his continuing tinkering with the team and tactics has contributed to many of our defeats but many players don't show enough fight.

• December 24, 2014 at 09:20

IH - you said in one of your recent postings that the team seemed to lack confidence - you are right they do - and it is your fault. The players dont seem to know what the likely formation is! It not only changes from week to week - it seems to change during the game - for no real reason. In one match recently you had to send on a hand written note (via McDonald) to explain your latest thoughts - a complete shambles.
    The players also know that if we go a goal behind - that is the end of it. They know the only way we are going to win a game is to nick it 1-0 - as we do not have any danger or threat up front. You need to do more up front in the Championship than just run about. Gregory tries hard - but that is not enough.
    We are overrun with MF players - of very average quality - BUT drastically lack a dangerous forward of any sort. What we have is either just not good enough - or too old.
    Your job is to sort it - and quick

• December 24, 2014 at 09:22

If the team plays well & show a bit of fight .we will applaud them..but if they play like a gutless bunch they will bare the wrath of the crowd..
    and on friday the discontent started after your stupid.changes to the team.ie bringing on fuller and dropping lee deep.plus to round it of dragging our best player of.(mg).

• December 24, 2014 at 09:31

Sorry mate but if the players aint trying and giving 100% for the shirt, club and supporters that's what happens.
    It's the Millwall way. If you don't like it sort it out! The team needs to show commitment and effort if the supporters see that then they will be off their back. It's bloody simple you doughnut!!!

• December 24, 2014 at 09:53

You can't expect the fans to part with good dough and suffer any old bolloxs! ie s*** tactics, as well as taking players off that are playing well, let me tell you ollie! wall fans know their football, and don't underestimate their passion for their club. We will put up with a lot but there is a limit and once they've had enough! and we are not far from that stage now,you will hear it from the terraces this is our club don't forget that, we spend money to watch our team! You are taking wages so remember if it don't work out you will be gone but we will be still here. Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilllllllll

• December 24, 2014 at 09:58

@lionrampant: your post is dpot on.plus i dont think olly has master this xmas thing either.aint good will to all wal in there somewhere

• December 24, 2014 at 10:03

Despite the fact that you keep saying you ' love it here', you truly don't understand because you don't come from here. You MUST have realised by now though Ollie that all we want is simple football played with 100% commitment and 100% effort. It really isn't difficult and if we can see that we are getting this we will get behind you. A few seasons ago we got thrashed at home by Birmingham by 6 goals, but we gave everything and sang the place down . So keep it simple, give it everything they've got for 90 minutes, that's all we've ever asked for.

• December 24, 2014 at 10:12

Sorry to say olly maybe you should have done a bit more research before taking the job we are one of the last real working class clubs left in football , sometimes a bit rough around the edges I know but when the players look like they are going through the motions and not giving 100 % we will let them know .Its not about ability Jimmy who you don't seem to fancy anymore what he is lacking in technique and skill he more than makes up for in desire and effort he is a great example of what Millwall fans expect when parting with their hard earned money .
    Merry Christmas to all the fans and here's hoping the team give us a long overdue present on boxing day

• December 24, 2014 at 10:32

@mfc2u: your so right about jimmy he is a a proper battling midfield player ! And how he Oli has not played him I'll never know (baffling) when he plays his game in the middle like my old bull terrier the crowd love it and that's what lifts players and the crowd isn't it ??? Oli not watching the same game as us he can't be.

• December 24, 2014 at 10:12

You do not have to tell us to blame you Mr Holloway - we know you are to blame.
    I am one of the 4% that would not have given you the job of manager and almost every game proves that was right. But even I must say you seem to have done a good job on other matters and the players brought in have been generally pretty good.
    So is the answer that you move to a Director of Football role and let someone else manage the team? You could do what you are good at away from the pressure and the Club could get someone in that could properly manage the team?

• December 24, 2014 at 10:16

You can call me what you like for 4k a week. Pro footballers that can't take a bit of stick ah diddums. Players bottling tackles(Malone,Mcdonald) are entitled to grief if they have no fight in them.

• December 24, 2014 at 10:22

Oh so the reason we lost to Bolton was `nerves and jittery atmosphere `
    That's OK then ?

• December 24, 2014 at 10:34

@Longfield Lion: And it's not going to get any less nervy and jittery out there unless the little darlings start to man up and act like professional footballers and not a bunch of molecoddled brats. Sort it out, div 1 is getting nearer.

• December 24, 2014 at 11:52

@Sealion: mate your so right, they need to man up especially that woolford tackle ffs,

• December 24, 2014 at 10:26

The level of performance over the last 3 seasons (particularly at the den) has been unacceptable.Us supporters have sacraficed time and money and been rewarded with minimum effort and maximum incompetence (on numerous occasions).I think unconditional support is no longer a given,the managment and players are gonna have to earn it all other again,IF they do we can get the den rockin again,but there is no way anyone can blame our support for the shambles on the pitch!

• December 24, 2014 at 10:39

@norris: Bang on with that comment ! Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

• December 24, 2014 at 10:51

Someone needs to tell Holloway that the fans get nervous and jittery every time the opposition have the ball.But we still turn up and give it all we have. If he's starting to blame the fans he has either run out of ideas or he wants out. Also it's a small minority that give grief and if the players can't take it they shouldn't be playing professional football. I think the fans have been very patient and deserve a bit of respect. Happy Christmas to all WALL fans, Im off down the pub.

• December 24, 2014 at 12:00

Im still 100% behind Ollie and i do believe he will sort it out, But i am a wall fan through and through and i am also 100% behind the voices on here.
    to play pretty footy you need to have the skill in abundance and the players just dont have it, So what do we do ?
    forget the warm up before the game forget the pretty coloured footy boots give the lads a pre match pie and mash a couple of sherberts and a pair of dockers boots and tell em to get stuck in. we will still lose but at least it wont be through the lack of the good old fashioned millwall fighting spirit...
    Are you hearing me ?
    If we are going down at least lets go down fighting ffs. no more excusses accepted..........

• December 24, 2014 at 12:09

As for dropping our Jimmy keep him in watch him closely you might learn something lol

• December 24, 2014 at 12:12

we are without doubt the best fans in the world if players cant enjoy playing for us there is something wrong with them, man up or f*** off.

• December 24, 2014 at 12:44

I know this is the season of goodwill to all men but for Holloway - although I did try to be kind in a post earlier - I have to make an exception.
    Holloway says "If anybody wants to say 'he ain't no good this Holloway', that's fine, no problem ...... but put my record up against anyone else's and see if that makes me a bad manager."
    Basically yes it does, his record sucks. In the last eight years he has been the manager of five clubs (!that tells you something!) and played 356 games - only 125 of those games were won so a 35% win ratio. In that time Mick McCarthy, just to pick a name out of the air, managed two teams for 376 games and won 148 of them so 39% and that included the Wolves fiasco. At Ipswich McCarthy has a 42% win ratio, the same as Sean Dyche still has at Burnley. And 42% is also the win ratio that Kenny Jackett had at Millwall. Look up the stats on the web - Holloway is a bad manager.

• December 24, 2014 at 12:54

@Jzero: 'but he got two teams into the premiership' bollx will be coming your way JZ

• December 24, 2014 at 13:04

@lion.ie: I see Bet Victor share my view though - Holloway is now their favourite as the next Championship manager to be sacked next . At 5/1 its got to be worth a few quid - Holloway has the worst win ratio (26%) in the Championship.

• December 24, 2014 at 17:07

@Jzero: trouble is I think he has JB hoodwinked and the Board made such a fuss when he was appointed that I can't see it happening. At this stage of the season we are probably just about better with him than without unless a real prime candidate became available to help him make the move upstairs.

• December 24, 2014 at 13:22

I haven't wote on here for months but feel I need to. I can't believe some supporters are still saying in Holloway we trust etc and saying the future etc, what the f*** are people talking about. Holloway deflects the blame and talks about the team like they are not his team "yet" , he has been in charge for nearly a year now and we are going backwards not forwards. I thought it couldn't get any worse than under Lomas but in truth it has got worse. Holloway may not have piad large transfer fees but he has had more backing in paying salaries than either Jackett or Lomas yet seems to still say he hasn't got right squad we need this we need that etc when he has been in charge for a year!! His desperate answers when we are doing badly is bring back players he said wern't good enough last time we were playing s*** rather than accept its through his poor tactics/selections etc. He signs players he wants and then says they aint fit after being here months or they are not good enough when he's signed half of them?? I have being to Millwall over 25 years and I can't remember a worse manager for his team selections/ tactics and talking utter b******* before and after every game, half of what he says makes no sense at all. In My opinion if Holloway stays (which he will) we will be relegated this season, there are not 3 teams we will finish above by playing the way Holloway plays with his bizzare selections/formations and decision making. I was pleased when Holloway came as he was a so called "name" but I will be careful what I wish for next time, look at Brum and there new gaffer, they won once at home in about a year(4-0) against us and now they are unbeatable! Brentford with no big budget or big name manager are flying. Any Millwall fan who goes regularly with this squad could do better than Holloway I firmly believe that. Stop listening to all this b***** about in the future/next season we will be ok... what about this season???? he said that last season about this season, he's had a year, we are worse now than under Lomas simple as that. If Holloway got 10 million in Jan he wouldn't know what to do with it and he'd still play strikers on the wing, full backs at Centre back etc etc etc, 1 game this season he played Dunne at CB with 3 CB's on the bench, I could go on forever. Anyone who says in Holloway we trust needs locking up (no offence). We will go down if Holloway is here come May. Merry Christmas -HOLLOWAY OUT

• December 24, 2014 at 13:32

What about something a bit different to discuss - how many on here would accept signing Ched Evans?

• December 26, 2014 at 09:42

@glyngo: agree..cant have bloody rapists running around he should still be inside where they know how to treat em

• December 25, 2014 at 00:45

@Jzero:
      Only very young supporters who aren't clued up or blokes who are wrong'uns themselves would want Ched Evans at Millwall. If you want him in a Millwall shirt it's safe to say you know absolutely f*** all about us as a club.

• December 24, 2014 at 13:37

He will prob start Marquis soon, that will be his next desperate decision the clueless c***

• December 24, 2014 at 13:58

well sorry but the players deserve the majority of the stick! it's 70% their fault imho. if you tell em to do a job no matter how bizarre that might sometimes then they should be able to do it no? it's not rocket science ollie and i personally think that you deserve the rest of the year to sort the club out as it's in a real s*** state from top to bottom. in fairness you've been left a tiny plastic spade to dig your self outta quick sand. let's see what happens after january? we need to have a overhaul get rid of 10 players at least and get 3 or 4 in one of them being a STRIKER!!!

• December 24, 2014 at 15:03

Stop making pre-excuses for the next tonking, stop having stupid Willy Wonka visions,
    stop having a go at the fans (you know, the ones who will still be here when your Chocolate
    Factory is in tatters), roll your sodding sleeves up and get on with the job of getting results.
    Any abuse you think is going on, is nothing compared to Lomas. You have had it easy matey.

Happy Xmas fellow Lions (lovers & haters of Wonka).
    Let's get a result up at the Carrot crunchers, and hope Delia pukes up on
    her own Boxing Day Turkey Curry.
    COYL!!

• December 24, 2014 at 16:21

Right I don't really say much on these sites but time to do so I think,if we get rid of Ollie which alot of people want at the minute and I can understand why who we going to get? Give the geezer till this time next year once he's cleared out all the rubble in the summer and brought in a few more players and let it be he's own team then you watch this time next year we will be in a completely different position to what we are now.Yeah we can say all this and all that about him fair enough but end off the day its the players who pull on the shirt on the pitch that just ain't performing for us our chairman as plenty of faith in him and is prepared to give him money and look our good our chairman is I think he's a good judge of character and he firmly believes in Ollie and do do I,I think the man will do a very good job for us given time over the summer to get rid of the s**** we have got out off contract and make it he's own team so as I said this time next year then make your judgments off him,I bet its a lot different to now .And yep I expect a lot of dislikes for this post but not bother I trust Ollie the chairman does and the chairman truely cares for this club so I'm more than prepared to true he's judgement even if we do go down which I'm certain we wont

• December 24, 2014 at 17:23

Leave it out Ollie, you really think it's realistic to expect us Wall fans not to give players stick if they deserve it?! I try to be as positive as I can in how I support my club from the terraces, BUT, if I see that someone's slacking, I'm gona give em stick... In the same way you'd give a work mate a kick up the backside if they ain't pulling their weight or I'm doing 3 trips to their 1.... 'F**king COME ON!!'
    But remember, we're all there because we want the best for the club - so just as quick as we are to criticize..... if the same player pulls his finger out and shows some fighting spirit - we'll be quick to praise... You want the best from us Ollie? Then get the best out of the players - and we'll sing our hearts out.
    I think some good advice to players would be - 'don't take the criticism so personally'....

On the subject of Ollie getting the sack... I agree with peterjames11 - this next transfer window is crucial for the club.. he needs to get the right players in for the right positions, where we're lacking i.e. a striker and a right winger.... and the OUTS could be just as important as the INS....
    If he still can't turn it around with the players he brings in.... let the criticism begin! (or continue...!)
    COYL.

• December 24, 2014 at 18:58

Ok Ollie so you say nothing will deter you from your long term plan except should we get relegated I doubt Youl be here to finish it but we the Fans will be
    It's us that will be the losers not you sort it out now

• December 24, 2014 at 23:57

Ollie is a good and proven manager, but I don't think he has done himself justice this season. Erratic changes to the team and substitutions and some odd comments at bad times have turned some fans off. However, we are generally playing good football with an inflated squad of not - quite - good - enough players, so make your signings this January and show us what you are capable. I will support you and the team till end of this season. That's my commitment, now time for the players and management to show theirs

• December 24, 2014 at 23:59

@glyngo: I don't count JB in that as that man has shown commitment since day 1 and I consider him a fan just like the rest of us.

• December 25, 2014 at 00:40

Haven't read any comments and don't think I need to knowing this site it's probably all "stop talking s*** holloway" etc. But he is bang on the money with his comments and it's a very polite way of saying that we have some very thick, idiotic supporters who spout too much s***. Spot on holloway.

• December 26, 2014 at 08:15

Whilst not being my choice as manager of Millwall when he got the job, I believe that IH should be given time to get this club sorted out.
    I might not agree with his team selection or tactics at times, but he has a thankless task. There are too many below standard players in our squad, who will be gone in the summer. The players that he has brought in are by and large good signings with one or two exceptions, which is Ok with me, because no manager has a 100% success rate with signing players.
    As long as he is our manager he has my 100 % support.
    NOLUWDC
    No one likes him he don't care...
    Which is good enough for me. He does not hide, he has the b***** to stand up and defend himself and say it as it is...::.so all things considered, he is pretty much like the average Millwall supporter... so come on, get behind him, he wants success just as much as we do