bestkinky

Millwall manager pleased with integration of youngsters

IAN Holloway believes that the integration of Millwall's promising academy players with the first-team set up is going well.

Fred Onyedinma, Jack Powell, Josh Siafa, Ben Thompson and Aiden O'Brien have all featured for the senior side this season.

Blooding more homegrown talent was one of Holloway's key pre-season aims.

And he says the progression of his young Lions bodes well for the future.

"I'm really pleased that we are integrating some of our youngsters into the group and the group is accepting them," he said. "I've got to keep doing that.

"I already know that some of our kids will be ready for next year. In the meantime I need to give them some experience.

"That could be by training with the first montauk-monster.com/pharmacy/diflucan team, going out on loan or being in and around the squad on a matchday.

"They have to learn how to deal with the ups and downs of a game. Did you play well? Why didn't you play so well?

"Using Powell as an example, why didn't he play well against Ipswich in a slightly different position? He's having to deal with that.

"And when we went away recently, he was on his phone a lot. It's little things like that which I have to observe.

"This is what people don't see but my job is to mould them and make sure they're ready for it. But Jack has already shown me there will be a place in the team for him next year."

4 thoughts on “Millwall manager pleased with integration of youngsters

• October 31, 2014 at 15:28

Would like to know if sid nelson as recovered from that bad injury he got in pre season..

• October 31, 2014 at 16:03

What about Jake Goodman. Thought he was brilliant in pre-season and seeing some of the U21 games. 100 times better than Webster. He can head a ball for a starter which already makes him a better CB than Webster.
    We have to see Fred again. That boy could change a game instantly.
    Agree with Ollie - Jack Powell will be the complete package next year and with integrating him into the team this year he will be our star player next season. Just make sure we don't do typical Millwall and just let these boys go!

• October 31, 2014 at 16:48

I agree totally with Ollie we need to break them in gently or we risk shattering their confidence. As for Powell, just throw something at him next time he's on his phone when he shouldn't be he wont do it again. They need to realise that they are in a position where they can earn a good living doing something that they love. It just takes time. NOLU WDC going down the pub to warm the liver up for tomorrow.

• November 1, 2014 at 11:16

@mitchamscaff: if someone who worked for me was on their phone while I was talking to them at work it would end up down the bog, usualy does the trick.