bestkinky

Belief key for Millwall says Holloway ahead of Watford trip

VICTORY over Cardiff has given Millwall's confidence a "shot in the arm" ahead of their trip to title-contenders Watford tomorrow.

Boss Ian Holloway says his players are brimming with belief after winning for the first time since August last weekend.

Beating the Bluebirds has reinforced a lot of the good work the Lions have already done this season, Holloway added.

"We are getting into good habits – the way we train, the way we do things and the way we know our structure," he said.

"Football is about confidence and believing you can do something.

"We are more used to not having expectations – we just want our team to go and work hard for us.

"But I want to change that – I want our fans and players to realise we are a good team and we can acheive things.

"That's where I started off at Blackpool – what I wanted to give them was a sense of pride about who they are and what can be achieved.

"Is that coming at Millwall? Results like last weekend will help but the hardest thing is being consistent with that.

"There is a lot of confidence in the group after beating Cardiff. The spirit was good anyway but the confidence in what we're doing is getting a shot in the arm.

"Look at what Derby did to Fulham the other night (scoring five goals) and look at what they couldn't do to us with a new back four.

"We drew with Wigan and then they've gone away and beaten Derby, so we've played some really good teams, including Wolves, and got some good results.

"Everbody has come in with that little bit extra in their stride. And that's massive, because what comes first – doing something or believing you can do something?

"I think that belief comes first – that is what I have learned during my career. When I didn't believe I could do something, I couldn't do it.

"So it is all about our attitude and mindset – some of these things will come with time, but certain things I have to change."

Millwall have not won a game at Vicarage Road since 2006 and were thrashed 4-0 by the Hornets on Boxing Day last season.

"Watford did us heavily last year and we've hardly ever won there, but so what?" Holloway added.

"Let's go there with a fresh momentum and be as good as we've been in the last few games.

"We haven't been getting the first goal enough. We look a really good team when we score the first goal and in every game we've had chances to do that.

"When we have got it, we've looked good and when we haven't we've wobbled, so we need to sort that out."

17 thoughts on “Belief key for Millwall says Holloway ahead of Watford trip

• October 31, 2014 at 15:50

Would love to beat watford after seeing what there fans say about us on there forum,proper smug bunch of we are better than you bunch of kunts.

• October 31, 2014 at 16:23

@LETEMCOME: 2000 millwall will be there.should be a great noise from our fans..NOLU WDC

• October 31, 2014 at 17:01

@Jim28: 2000 hungry lions at that little s******* called Watford will put the fear of god into them. Bxllocks to the past I'm going for a cheeky 1-0 win Gregory 1st goal.

• October 31, 2014 at 17:16

@Jim28: Cant wait. COYL.

• October 31, 2014 at 16:30

Afraid it will be the usual drubbing. 6-1 a couple of years ago was embarrassing. I'd settle for a clean sheet, but of course a win would be the dogs!

• October 31, 2014 at 18:47

@Jim28: I'll blow you a kiss @ 4:50 if we get a result. Just being pessimistic, sorry

• October 31, 2014 at 19:31

@wallchef:

Just a long shot but were you a chef at POHQ, 148 Old Street many years ago in the Nineties?

• October 31, 2014 at 19:41

@sierraleone: no but wierdly I attended a training school at Old Street in the mid seventies, when I was employed by what was then , Post Office Telephones. I guess you've twigged that I'm an old fa#t.

• October 31, 2014 at 19:59

@sierraleone:

Gaydar, rarely fails...

• October 31, 2014 at 19:32

@wallchef: I'm pessimistic at the best of times, but I don't see a heavy defeat again. So far we've looked capable of containing the better teams - the big challenge is taking some of our chances up front.

• October 31, 2014 at 20:09

@Micky Lions: to true.if we had taken half our chances we would be in a much better position

• October 31, 2014 at 19:32

"That is what these bigger clubs have got – all of their supporters have got an arrogance and a cockiness but we don't really have that.............ie; NOLU !!!

• November 1, 2014 at 14:53

@frank: what the teams at the top have is goals in their team , we have an awful forward line due to the fact we have no money , that's our problem .

• October 31, 2014 at 21:37

Ah yes I remember when we had that feeling in our first season in the old 1st Division 1989/90. Everyone thought what the f***'s going on here where ever we went! Good old days and hope they will and we come back with a vengeance!

• November 1, 2014 at 00:28

Watford aint one of the better teams,they will be there or there abouts but then flatter to deceive,thats why they turn us over most of the time cause we dont rate them as a top team and up our game. There fans call this a London derby,f.ucking joke,they are not a London club unless hertfordshire is now in London. They are the palace of the north. F**** EM.

• November 1, 2014 at 16:58

Well done holloway, why the f*** has he changed shittu for dunne, he will not be a centre half as long as he has an hole in he's a***.