bestkinky

Holloway: Millwall got what they deserved against Cardiff

IAN Holloway felt Millwall got their just rewards after Danny Shittu headed the only goal of the game to defeat Cardiff City at The Den.

The Lions ended their eight-game wait for three points with a well-earned triumph over the Bluebirds, who were fortunate not to lose by a bigger margin.

Shittu rose above Federico Macheda to power in Shaun Williams' corner in the 54th minute before the hosts missed a host of chances to extend their advantage.

But Holloway denied he was "relieved" to win for the first time since August.

"Relief is a terrible word," Holloway said. "All I feel is pleased that we got what we deserved because sometimes you don't in football.

"If you're relieved as a manager you shouldn't be in the game. You either win, lose or draw – sometimes you deserve your results, sometimes you don't.

"What you've got to do is work on a process. It's all about your process and the process hasn't been bad all season.

"So relief is never the word. I don't feel like some pressure has lifted because I put more pressure on myself than you'd ever dream.

"You don't realise how badly I want to win of every minute of every day. It's in us. Sir Alex Ferguson must be a nightmare to be with now that he doesn't have that anymore.

"It's a nightmare when you don't get the results you deserve but it's part of your job.

"When I'm in the dugout and getting stick, I'm glad it's me because that's where I want to be. Whatever happens, I'll be cheering sildenafil this group on."

Holloway's decision to make five changes to his starting XI paid off as Millwall out-run and out-fought the visitors.

"I'm pleased that I can get a win after freshening up the group," he said.

"Every change I made was to freshen up the team and I thought everyone who came in did really well and the ones I left out took it well.

"I left Byron Webster out because Shittu and Mark Beevers have played together a lot before and Webster needed a breather as well."

Cardiff will rue a crucial moment in the first half when Adam Le Fondre's shot from point-blank range was superbly kept out by David Forde.

"A double save from my goalkeeper changed the course of the match, whereas lately it's been bobbling in," Holloway added.

"In the end we made it hard work because we created a couple of chances that we should have taken to make it more comfortable.

"The first goal was vital, we got it, and after that we looked strong. We had a really good spell after the goal and I was delighted that Danny scored.

"It could have been easier but we've got to take our chances. Lee Gregory is looking an absolute threat and I'm delighted with him.

"He could have scored two today and probably should've done, but the run he made to get his first opportunity and the chasing he did was immense.

"Scott McDonald and Lee Martin were also excellent and overall we looked pretty solid and like a good team. Andy Wilkinson has been sensational."

23 thoughts on “Holloway: Millwall got what they deserved against Cardiff

• October 25, 2014 at 16:03

Great win, great to have big Dan back in the side.... Now, we must leave Dunne out and get at least one more striker. Should of been comfortable win with the quality chances we created, but that will do. Both fuller and Gregory started today and we didn't have another on the bench, no depth up top. On to Watford. Milllllllllllllll

• October 25, 2014 at 16:13

@les the lion: like ya said les, that,l do!! Great to get that result and now to build a run. Good stuff boys, glad the ball found it's way onto the big units head . Danny shittu that's what we do!!

• October 25, 2014 at 16:09

Can't possibly see how Dunne can get back into the team now. That starting eleven looked good. Well done boys. Nice change to be toasting a home win rather than drowing ones sorrows.

• October 25, 2014 at 16:12

Scrappy game but a win is a win which I didn't expect, Shittu has to keep his place as he won everything in the air and looked good. Still need a goal scorer but Gregory is getting better every game. COYL

• October 25, 2014 at 16:23

Love GREGORY, yeah alright he missed good chances today but he looks a really good player,peeling of here and there, and battles well to get the ball,I really rate him. Sure he'll miss some along the way but I think he'll score plenty too.

• October 25, 2014 at 16:41

I probably have been DS worse critic .but the big man played a blinder..f*** of you powder puff taffys

• October 26, 2014 at 08:05

@jim28
      Oi! you and i are going to fall out,i am powder puff 1 and none of those taff's are in my club,LOL.
      Like you i have been a big critic of danny and i had to eat my words,he was well worthy of MOM.
      I thought wilkinson was good concentrated on defending untill late on when he got forward a bit more,also liked the way he and danny directed other players to cover each other.
      So well done to danny and the team for a good win.
      I know gregory could have had two but he was in the position to get the chances and i think the goals are going to come from him,also ran his cod's off,i like this boy,so onward's and upwards.
      Oh! and be careful how you use the term powder puff in future.
      PP1

• October 25, 2014 at 16:42

Great win Millwall well done. Massive praise to IH , he made changes all over the team and it paid off !
    As for who plays , who cares ? We won !!

• October 25, 2014 at 17:06

Just a thought since the team had the session with Glen Catley, the sports psychologist, we have not lost and the team definitely seem to be playing with more confidence. Lets hope we are starting one of Ollie's famous unbeaten runs. So enjoy watching us play now I said that Ollie should stop mucking about with the team, still think that but hats off we seem to have a team that is starting to click and has strength on the bench. Wilkinson is a bonus after the loss of Carlos Gregory is really starting to find his feet, the point at Wigan is now looking a better result. Best of all the Den is just starting to become the sort of place teams don't want to come to.
    Nice to see JB I am sure we all wish him well with his recovery.

• October 25, 2014 at 17:22

shittu never lets us down when he is called upon

• October 25, 2014 at 17:52

A third of the way through the season and happy we are 6 points above relegation. As for Shittu, for a couple of years now his career seems to have been question. It cannot be good for his confidence being down the pecking order and given some fans' comments and opinions, yet he always smiles and not only gets on with the job with character and leadership, but pulls a rabbit out of the hat.

• October 25, 2014 at 18:05

A lot of our goals come from midfield.. Please get upson McDonald ect scoring in training. Nice move on that free kick! If we could have got some of upsin shots on target we would have p***** it

• October 25, 2014 at 18:11

I'm not saying Shittu should start every game, but he had a good game today and scored a great goal. What impresses me most about Danny is the way he has conducted himself since he returned to the Den. He always has time for the fans, he works hard for his team mates and is a natural leader. Even when he has not been in the team, I've seen him cheering on Millwall from the stands and the dug out like one of us. It certainly seems like he's a Millwall man. Recalled to the team today, he deserves all the plaudits. Well done big fella!

• October 25, 2014 at 19:10

Wilkinson settled in, Shittu in the back 4, look at the squad? I saw the potential in the last 25 mins against wolves, we can chase a play off place!!!

• October 25, 2014 at 19:38

Thought we played excellent esp second half . Gregory although missed a few didn't stop chasing the ball , his time will come . Fuller and McDonald played great too as did Williams and upson which Is why I personally think they should be our main 2 midfielders . Wilkinson settled in well ( looks like Dunne ) but 10 times the better player

• October 25, 2014 at 21:28

Cheers for the winner Danny but you missed a tackle which Cardiff capitilized on just outside the box and slipped over a couple of times when we were getting attacked by Cardiff. Also doesnt seem like he looks comftorble passing. Otherwise, great in air, decent long balls and cheers for the winner. THATS WHAT WE DO!!!!

• October 25, 2014 at 21:28

• October 25, 2014 at 21:31

We should've easily won by 2 or 3 more goals from Gregory but i'll take three points from a team thats pushing for promotion. I'd take three points against anybody for that matter. COYL!!!

• October 25, 2014 at 21:59

We are millwall,we deserve 3 points every time we attend a fixture.

• October 25, 2014 at 22:26

@norris: your a gutter dog;-)

• October 25, 2014 at 22:56

Still out. But thought we were fcuking great today..dont no what that leeds t*** beagrie said on sky.but it probably was cobblers

• October 25, 2014 at 23:17

Watched the game on Nowtv (awful reception would not recommend) Danny looked a towering strength and deservedly awarded MoM. Surely he cannot be left out of the team fornow, and he showed our lack lustre strikers how to score! Well done Danny.

• October 26, 2014 at 12:00

I thought the changes worked, the only 2 issues I could see from where I was sitting
    1) We looked unbalanced, the right wasn't an issue it was the left, Briggs had a good game but looked unprotected and had no outlet, and a couple of times the ball came over him when he had run up the wing and we'd lost possession. I honestly couldn't tell you who was player left mid in the first half or even left side of a midfield 3, or even left side of a front 3, briggs was the only player on the left.
    2) we deffo need an option for when fuller is f***ed on his feet at 70 mins, Fuller played well, the breaks didn't go his way and he was being grabbed and ref awarding free kicks the other way when he tried to shrug them off. but he was blowing out his ar5e and needed to come off sooner.