bestkinky

Gueye: I need games to fulfil my potential at Millwall

MAGAYE Gueye says he won't fulfil his potential at Millwall unless he plays on a regular basis.

The former Everton star, who has not started a league game since joining the Lions in the summer, has been told to improve his fitness by manager Ian Holloway.

Holloway feels the Frenchman has not made enough of an impact when he has come on in games, although he did score a late equaliser against Sheffield Wednesday in August.

Gueye, though, claims he needs more minutes under his belt before he can contribute further.

"When the team is losing 1-0 or 2-0 and I'm put on for ten minutes, when it is a struggle, it is very hard to make an impact," he told the Southwark News.

"You can't expect anything different. I've not been playing for a while and you can't get into form or find your level just by clicking your fingers.

"Whatever the manager says is fine. It's true that I need to work on my fitness because it's a long time since I played regularly.

"I played some U21s games during the international break to help me get fitter.

"But it's very hard when the team doesn't start a game well and you're asked to change the game as a substitute. I know I can do that but in football it’s not all about one player.

"The manager knew I wasn't fit before he took me on so he knows my situation. I feel a lot fitter than I was in the summer but the manager needs results straight away.

"It's difficult for me to change things in ten or 15 minutes."

24 thoughts on “Gueye: I need games to fulfil my potential at Millwall

• October 24, 2014 at 09:48

I would put in first half if he ànt up to it take him off half time like ... massive win tomorrow please q's I know live in Wales and I wanna prove we better than cardiff

• October 24, 2014 at 11:27

@billymillwall: Good solution. Take him off if he ain't cutting it. There'll be no excuses for him then. Confidence can only be gained with the right attitude. COYL!

• October 24, 2014 at 14:03

@billymillwall: That isn't a bad idea put him either up top instead of O'Brien or LM as Woolford has been a bit quiet lately. NOLU WDC

• October 24, 2014 at 09:53

He just needs to keep his head down and keep working hard on his fitness and could be a vital player in the second half of the season.

• October 24, 2014 at 10:15

Stop making excuses you say you can't make things happen by coming on when we are losing ask fuller & Martin what happened last week & you say you needed time to get fit it's f****** October ffs & look at wilkinson. Straight into the side when was the last time he played. Pull yourself together man

• October 24, 2014 at 11:59

@block 28: Martin is a great example for the lad - been plagued by injury for long periods in his career and has just come back from an injury - but has managed to stay at a certain level of fitness and make an impact on games - no excuses there...

• October 24, 2014 at 10:15

I think Maggy could be a very decent addition to the team.
    Hope he gets a chance soon.

• October 24, 2014 at 10:20

i don't know if we are running a football club or a donkey sanctuary because any old player above 30 comes to millwall and our young players get push a side

• October 24, 2014 at 10:39

Looks like olly has stopped putting his arm round yer.man up you f****** fairy

• October 24, 2014 at 11:11

@Jim28: jim ffs just tell him straight, stop going round the houses.

• October 24, 2014 at 11:39

@Jim28: Is there a Case for a PINK POWDER - PUFF SHIRT ? Lol.

• October 24, 2014 at 10:39

I just don't understand why some players don't keep fit, and blame it on lack of games.
    Wilkinson hasn't played for a while, yet walked straight in and got stuck in.
    Edwards was the same last season.
    Work harder in training, and I am sure your turn will come.

• October 24, 2014 at 11:44

@lowdown: Hoyte has said the same thing "I'll get fit by playing games" - hope Maggy hasn't been hanging round with him too much - coz his days at MFC are numbered.
      Stiff competition to get into the squad - that's the way we like it - well done Ollie I say. If you want to play for this club, you've got to be at the top of your game.
      I like Maggy, skillful, strong and has a good strike on him - as said above, he needs to get his head down, concentrate on the training and make the most of his chances - even if it is only 20mins.. In my book, he's looking at 20mins in the wrong way - if you've only got to play for 20mins, you should be able to run around like a nutter for that reduced amount of time...
      p.s. buzzing for tomorrow - team's coming together nicely - big home crowd, let's hit em with everything we've got! COYL!!
      SHEEP - SHEEP - SHEEP SHA**ERS!!

• October 24, 2014 at 13:12

@Luke ColdBlow10: It's a shame about Hoyte. Arsenal academy, England under 21s etc. I can see why so many clubs have taken a gamble on getting him to perform to his ability, but I can't see us playing him regularly before his contract expires in June. He could have been a contender, as the quote goes.

• October 24, 2014 at 14:05

@Luke ColdBlow10: Sheep Shaggers lol I think the best one I heard was your just a 3rd world country PMSL

• October 24, 2014 at 10:51

Your are on a nice few grand a week, your young and you have excellent facilities to make you super fit including physios,massages,dieticians and all the modern day equipment. Even without playing you should be in peak condition physically. If your not after 2 or 3 months then I personally don't think you are dedicated enough to the cause.
    I'll happily swap with you anytime.
    P*** poor in my book.

• October 24, 2014 at 10:54

Hopefully he's not one of those players who thinks just because he's played premier league standard that he should be a starter for a championship side...
    Get your head down, prove yourself at training and get it done when you get a chance during the game!

• October 24, 2014 at 11:15

IH seems to have an obsession with fitness. If you pass his running test, you get a game, doesn't matter if you aren't up to scratch at Champ level. Jimmy fits into this scenario as does Woolford. We have had Ethrington, Eagles, Pennant training with us but we were told none of them were fit enough. I'd rather here that they were not good enough. We have Martinez still with us (I think) who IH raved about but again he is not playing because he isn't fit enough not because he isn't good enough. I want to see a bit of quality and flare on the pitch, not headless chickens running around for 90 minutes. Lots of top quality footballers wouldn't pass the IH fitness test, but they can win football matches.

• October 24, 2014 at 11:15

Funny how the same people who were waxing lyrical about him when he first signed are the same one's now slaggin' him off!!

His fitness has clearly improved since the summer and whilst I don't want to question IH - is a creative wide man not what we've been lacking?!?!? we've had Pennant, Etherington and Eagles on trial when both Gueye and Martin can play on either wing so I don't see what harm giving him 60 mins will do!! He could turn these 0-0's into 1-0 wins!!

• October 24, 2014 at 11:28

@BLOCK28 : well said mate. My thoughts also.

• October 24, 2014 at 12:22

Get fit, get on and f***** do something, not been fit by this stage, Ollie's gotta carry the can if blokes arnt in good knick by now, he,s the boss!

• October 24, 2014 at 13:19

It's ok it's the way the manger is your go with out playing a lot off the games and he just tell us all your not fit for him yet I feel sorry for you as you must be fit by now you just will not get the game time when you been here coming on for 10mins or 15mins but it's the same old s*** we get told

• October 24, 2014 at 13:43

Personally think this lad is one of our more talented players, offers something different and hopefully he hasn't got on the wrong side of holloway as would be good to see him in the starting line up soon..

• October 24, 2014 at 14:09

What Ollie should do is the old fashioned bleep test. Do it till you throw up prove your commitment and if your fitness drops fine them it'll take 1 hour a week and do it randomly to keep them on their toes. COYL