bestkinky

Stoke City loanee buoyed by clean sheet on Millwall debut

ANDY Wilkinson was thrilled to come out of a "manic" 24 hours with a clean sheet on his Millwall debut.

The right back was thrown straight into the side to face Wigan after joining the Lions on a three-month loan from Stoke City.

He linked up with the squad at the team hotel on Monday night before playing 90 minutes in a 0-0 draw at the DW Stadium – despite not training with his new teammates.

Wilkinson has been part of the Potters' first team for the past 14 seasons – so he found playing for a new club slightly surreal.

He told the Southwark News: “28 has been my shirt number at Stoke for over a decade, so when I walked into the dressing room, I went straight over to the no.28 shirt.

"It took me a while to realise that wasn’t my number anymore!

"It was a little bit strange but at the same time I loved meeting the lads and I'm sure I'll enjoy the experience of getting out and playing for a different team.

"It's been pretty manic but it probably worked out better like that because there was no time to sit and dwell on things. I just got out there and played.

"The lads have been very welcoming and it looks like there's a great team spirit here, so it's nice to be part of that.

"Up until now Stoke have been saying that I wasn't allowed to go anywhere so it's nice to be able to come and play some games because I've been getting frustrated.

"The lads defended brilliantly and there was good communication across the back four. It felt quite natural for me to slot into the team."

Wilkinson revealed that he was convinced to join Millwall after former Blackpool star Charlie Adam gave boss Ian Holloway a glowing report.

"The manager rang me and won me over straight away with what he said," the 30-year-old added.

"I know other players that have played under him who speak so highly of him. I was told that he always gets the best out of his players."

10 thoughts on “Stoke City loanee buoyed by clean sheet on Millwall debut

• October 23, 2014 at 10:40

Sounds like you've got the Millwall spirit. Welcome to the Lions Den mate.

• October 23, 2014 at 11:48

To be a starter for more than 10 years at a club like Stoke speaks for itself - really happy with this signing - straight into the team with no preparation - solid, clean sheet.
    I'm feeling confident about the about the team as a whole now - not perfect, but we've got a bit of balance back in the side now - with Martin back in action and Andy coming in for Edwards...

There's still issues - still think we could do with a RM and maybe one more fresh FWD (Pope possibly)... Dunne's place in the team seems to be a bit of strange one as well, I personally don't have a problem with him, but a lot do. As long as he's doing the right things in training and earning his place in the team, fine - but IH needs to be brave if he really starts to fall short (for want of a better phrase!) because it'll get Beevers back up....
    Beevers and Webster on paper makes more sense, but I honestly don't think Dunne is in team solely because of the captaincy - Beevers wasn't playing his best before being dropped....

• October 23, 2014 at 12:16

@Luke ColdBlow10: Ollie did inherit some players he probably didn't want. In his defence, he has got rid of some. Wright, Bywater, Marquis, Smith and Robinson come to mind. Out on loan or permanent outs it makes room for the new ones. From what I gather, he's tried really hard to get rid of Hoyte as an example but there's been no takers. What irks me is that on the whole, these loanees that come in are not fit or have to play catch-up and thereby get injured. Agree with you though, we're almost there. I just wish he would pair Webster with Beevers and with Wilkinson and Malone either side we've got a good looking defence. Upson and Williams in midfield should be the first names on the sheet. Gregory coupled with someone like Pope and with Fuller ready to play for the final 30 mins if needed. Oh, and 442 !!

• October 23, 2014 at 22:00

@NICKOLA
        Nic who was that actually signed Hoyte?,was it lomas or the management in the same way they signed Easter.

• October 24, 2014 at 13:04

@jim1222: I think Hoyte was signed after Jackett left but before Lomas came in. Although Lomas may well have been asked about who he would want to keep when they were interviewing him

• October 23, 2014 at 13:16

I am really quite confident about where the team are going. At the start of the season most agreed mid table was fine, we sre playing well enough to be exactly there. Yes we are three points off the bottom but I really think we are making progress as a club not just the ream. Our charity work, prostrate cancer, Lewisham hospital, awards for our fight against racism, and now the forces charity have given us a long awaited positive image in the media. Youngsters being blooded in the team with improved facilities and a manager who can atract players like Wilkinson point to a very bright future if we can all be just a little patient

• October 23, 2014 at 14:38

@lennie the lion: a positive image in the media, although refreshing, will not win us football matches.

• October 23, 2014 at 15:23

@wallchef: do you not think ref"s have a "I will not be intimidated" sttitude towards us. Perhaps a more friendly attitude towards us may have got us the three stone wall penalty's we should have had this year at the Den.

• October 24, 2014 at 13:06

@wallchef: Not in the short term, but if we have a positive image we will get a bigger gate which means more money for players. Also, players are more willing to sign for us if we have a good image. So, in the medium to long term it will win us more matches.

• October 23, 2014 at 14:10