bestkinky

McDonald: Millwall boss has totally changed my outlook

SCOTT McDonald has credited Ian Holloway with changing his outlook – and making him re-think his future at Millwall.

The Australian has been a mainstay in the Lions side this season, starting and finishing all of their 13 Championship games.

McDonald is one of three players to clock up a maximum of 1170 minutes in the league.

After a disappointing first campaign with the club, McDonald now feels transformed – and says Holloway's influence has totally altered his mindset.

"I've got a better outlook and that's come from the manager," he told the Southwark News.

"He wants his players to enjoy their football and play with a smile on their faces. I've tried to take that on board and just relax.

"I am still very hard on myself but perhaps I am not as critical of my performances as I have been in the past – I've learned to lighten up a little bit.

"I'm trying to help other people within the squad as well – particularly the younger boys – and just be more of a senior professional."

Having been in and out of the side last year, McDonald is now one of the first names on Millwall's teamsheet, operating at the tip of midfield.

But aside from playing regularly, the 31-year-old's happiness is also tied to where he sees himself – and the club – in the future.

"There's a process and a plan now," he explained. "When I first came to the club, I got very frustrated in the beginning because it didn't feel like that was the case.

"Now there's a mindset of trying to get this club to where the manager wants it to be and I've really bought into that.

"I didn't come here to just be middle of the road – I've always wanted to achieve things in my career.

"I certainly feel that under this manager, everything is changing.

"The professionalism of the club has stepped up a level, from the improvements that have been made to the training ground to the new dressing rooms at The Den.

"The club has come on leaps and bounds under this manager. There is a big difference from when I first signed for Millwall a year ago.

"Step by step, we'll keep improving and the manager will get what he wants.

"Hopefully that will happen sooner rather than later because it's a short career and you want things to happen quickly.

"The manager has got a plan and he's staying here for the foreseeable future, so things are looking bright."

As for his own future, McDonald’s contract at The Den runs out next summer.

He added: "I'm really happy and settled.

"My family absolutely love it down here, the kids have settled at their schools and my wife's family are from Southampton, so we're not far away from them either.

"At my age, moving about when you've got kids is not what you want but most importantly you want to be playing and happy with your football, and I feel that right now.

"But I'm not thinking about my contract – I'm focused on playing every week and I'll let the other stuff take care of itself.

"It's easy to worry about things that you can't control. It will be discussed at a later time when the manager and the club thinks the time is right."

18 thoughts on “McDonald: Millwall boss has totally changed my outlook

• October 23, 2014 at 09:44

How about a few goals Scott and we will enjoy things more.

• October 23, 2014 at 09:51

@Longfield Lion: His role is different now, you shouldn't just judge him on goals, although he had one of the best efforts on goal on Tuesday night. His running and chasing down was tireless, without him putting in the effort that he does we would have lost that game.

• October 23, 2014 at 09:57

@glyngo: True,but being a Ex striker he should be capable of chipping in with a few goals in his new role.

• October 23, 2014 at 10:26

@Longfield Lion: agree he's there to take some of the presure off the strikers. Like Cahill used to do

• October 23, 2014 at 09:53

Holloways players understand that he needs time to implement the changes he wants, and it is good to hear that players like McD are behind that. I am not surprised one bit that the club is improving under Ollie, you can see that in the standard of performances with largely the same squad that was available to him last season.

• October 23, 2014 at 10:03

McD is a changed man under Ollie. Very early to say this I know, but I wouldn't bet against him being POTS come the end of the season. Last season him, Easter, Simeon Jackson all offered pretty much exactly the same thing up front with none of them excelling in that role. This season he is properly bossing things - with him (and Williams behind him playing out from the back four) our midfield looks class on the ball a lot of the time. Just wish our strikers would start firing on all cylinders!!!

• October 23, 2014 at 10:05

Talking of players changing positions and what turned into a smart move - how about Steve Lovell ?
    Changed from a defender/midfielder into a striker (George Graham I think) what a great move that was!!

• October 23, 2014 at 10:14

Alan Dunne up front the!

• October 23, 2014 at 10:23

Yeah, MCDONALD is a very decent player, must be very fit cos he's buzzing around all over the place for the full 90 mins, and his ball control and passing is very good. Very clever of OLLIE to change his game and get such a good midfielder out of it, cos he looked to be heading for the scrap heap.

• October 23, 2014 at 14:01

I do like macdonald, and I pretty much agree with everything you say, but I can't be the only one who thinks he takes too long to pass it can I?

• October 23, 2014 at 10:39

Good to hear he's feeling comfortable here now and all that bad feeling from last season is gone - it's worrying when there's word that someone isn't fully committed to the cause. The statistic that he's played for 'every minute of every game' shows he's more than committed and is pretty damn impressive IMO.. Well done Macca
    p.s. Longfield, I'm sure HE would like to be scoring more as well.... Though I don't like your negativity, it's very true that he has never really had his shooting boots on since being here. But credit where credit's due - his work rate is fantastic and he's changed his attitude and field position for the good of the team.

• October 23, 2014 at 10:49

@Luke ColdBlow10: Negativity ? That's your opinion.I say it as I see it.When he was moved to his new position I and others thought he could still chip in with a few goals - what is wrong with that view ? We can hardly get goals from midfield from players like Jimmy ! lol

• October 23, 2014 at 12:30

@Longfield Lion: I saw your comment ((your first comment)) as negative because it's a positive article about a player that has been working his socks off for the team and the first and only thing you brought up is that he don't score.. I agreed with you - he don't score - it's true!
        Maybe he has been taking striking tips off Jimmy! I can picture it now "Now Scott, if want to place it like I do - get under the ball, use your big toe and hit it as hard as you can!"
        On the subject of players chipping in with goals from the midfield - Scott isn't the only one not contributing in that way either.... Be nice if our FWDs had scored more goals this season.....

• October 23, 2014 at 11:23

I would like to see him play up front with Gregory! McDonald has always scored goals as a striker throughout he's career and him and Gregory could be a good partnership.I dont think the formation we play with him in an attacking midfield role works that well...

• October 23, 2014 at 11:58

I do

• October 23, 2014 at 12:16

Great attitude Mac

• October 24, 2014 at 00:34

Are you a goalscorer? Provider?? Love this guys abiliy but what if the players around you aren't singing from the same hymn sheet. Does that make you an instrumentalist???