bestkinky

Fuller dismisses Wolves' protests over Millwall equaliser

RICARDO Fuller accused Wolves of sour grapes after his brace rescued Millwall a point at The Den on Saturday.

The visitors protested that substitute Richard Stearman wasn't given enough time to get into position before Fuller thrashed in an 87th-minute equaliser.

But the Jamaican forward insisted Stearman only had himself to blame for turning his back on play and said Wolves should have "applauded" his "great finish" instead of complaining.

"You have to put your hand up and accept there's not a lot you can do about that," Fuller said. "If they'd managed to do that against us we'd just have had to hold our hands up.

"Their team was set and if that goal had gone in against us you would just have had to applaud it because it's a great finish – and that's not just because I scored it.

"The touch was great, the finish was calm and composed. It's just great play in general.

"It was maybe a little bit unfair because the defender who came on wasn't really set but he was already running in. He turned his back and he should know not to turn his back.

"I already had a defender on me and I turned the defender with the touch because I knew where he was.

"I saw the ball coming in and knew I had to make a good touch for me to set myself to have a shot and that's exactly what I did."

Fuller was brought off the bench in the 57th minute but Wolves, who were winning 1-0 at that stage, quickly extended their lead by two goals.

It wasn't until Lee Gregory pulled one back – and Fuller thumped in a second – that Millwall looked like salvaging anything from the game.

"I never saw it coming," he said. "Leading up to the game in the week the chemistry and the work ethic and the cameraderie was fine.

"We felt like we did at the beginning of the season when we won our first two games. When we went 3-0 down I thought to myself, 'Surely it is not going to be like this.'

"And then when the gaffer put me on and their second goal went off my head, onto the post and the guy kicked it into the net I thought, 'Surely something's wrong.'

"But I thought me and Lee Martin started to really make a difference and the boys upped their game. We raised the tempo and that's what you need when you're a sub.

"I felt that the work ethic was back, the chemistry was back and the feeling was back. Just as I thought, we were back into it and we managed to pull it off."

Asked if performances like that were the reason boss Ian Holloway brought him to the club, Fuller added:

"Yes, as well as my experience – I have played in the Premier League with Stoke City at the highest level in England before.

"So my experience, my leadership and to have an impact [were the reasons].

"Obviously I'm 35 and maybe I'm not going to play every game but I'll play as much as I can, at a high tempo and with quality.

"That's what he's brought me here for and on Saturday I managed to do that.

"I have settled now – I only moved into my flat two weeks ago. I was in one of the club's apartments and hotels, so I was up and down.

"I moved from two places – my house in Crewe and the flat in Bromley. Now I'm in my place in Chislehurst so I'm more settled now.

"That is a good feeling for me and my family. Once my family is okay and I'm okay you can expect the best from me."

22 thoughts on “Fuller dismisses Wolves' protests over Millwall equaliser

• October 20, 2014 at 08:46

AA - Any truth in the newspaper report we are interested in Free Agent 26 year old( Dutch)Ex- Feyenoord winger John Goossens ??

• October 20, 2014 at 08:49

Top man top finishing...by the way top means football in Turkish.

• October 20, 2014 at 09:09

@Terrytheturk about time we had some football like finishing ain't it

• October 20, 2014 at 09:11

The way you took those two goals was top class. & don't forget greggs goal his finish was top drawer. If those goals was scored in the premiership They would be still showing em on sky news. Well done both of you. Millllllllllll

• October 20, 2014 at 09:18

If my team were 3 up and let it slip to draw 3-3 I would be gutted, sour grapes get on with it

• October 20, 2014 at 09:33

@dpendet: he let it slip cos he forgot the millwall spirit...lee 2 in 3 games(class).and now for fuller..keep em coming

• October 20, 2014 at 21:05

I don't know why they're moaning! On MotD they were saying taking 'Free' kicks etc early is OK and that defenders should always be ready! League rules clearly say; 'When a substitute sets foot onto the field of play the game can restart'! So sorry Wolves.

• October 20, 2014 at 09:25

Fuller took both his goals exceptionally well as did Gregory. On a completely separate note though, Millwall website is running true to form. The link to the camo shirt is blank and the club shop is constantly engaged! Getting angry!

• October 20, 2014 at 10:00

@southlondon1885: millwall have put up an ANNOUNCEMENT Due to high traffic we're experiencing some technical issues on mfcshop.co.uk. Only at millwall.

• October 20, 2014 at 11:26

@block 28: usual story. Thankfully I called my mum who still lives close by and sge went and queued up for me and managed to get one for me and my brother. I live too far away now to have made it in time. My mum said the shop was carnage and the staff didn't kbow what sizes they had left or anything. Apparently there was only 20 left when my mum ordered mine. Only at Millwall does this happen. I was on the website at 9 and all it had was a blank page when you click on the link. I imagine due to demand they'll have to get some more made. As it's for charity I don't see whay they didn't make 10000 to start with particularly when our club raises so much for our service men and women. God bless our troops.

• October 20, 2014 at 20:58

I live in Brighton so couldn't go to the shop so I'd been telephoning and trying online all day! By 4pm I'd given up, tried online just in case at 6pm, got through , got the right size, good un!

• October 20, 2014 at 09:46

3-3 against a top championship team is good, 3-0 down and coming back is brilliant. 2 of wolves goals were a bit school boy error, fordy needs to get his back four in order, but all 3 millwall goals were inch perfect. Oh and that bloke fuller who everyone thinks is crap, scored two blinders! Who would've thought!!!! Well done fuller

• October 20, 2014 at 10:27

@Geoff the lion: I was sceptical about yet another veteran forward being signed. I'm not sure if he can last the whole 90 minutes any more, but he looked a different class coming off the bench on Saturday.

• October 20, 2014 at 10:38

He's fuller goals yeeeeeaaaaahhhhh
    better than what was being said about him before.

• October 20, 2014 at 11:05

Nice to know he is know settled he'll do a decent job for us. Just be patient and try not to get on his back if he fires one wide or aint running 100 miles an hour chasing shizzle down. COYL

• October 20, 2014 at 11:46

@mitchamscaff: it would be tempting to let him start matches..much prefer him coming of the bench..imo he's had his better games this way

• October 20, 2014 at 13:29

@Jim28: I would rather see him come on for the last half hour. Yes we need a target man but we must be patient or we risk Fuller burning out or getting injured. Stick on one of the youngsters to run their defenders ragged for the 1st hour or buy a target man I keep saying it Pope would be the perfect partner for Gregory 6,3 strong, good with his feet and shouldn't be to expensive we'll just have to see what happens

• October 20, 2014 at 13:52

fuller on his own up front is a waste of time, gregory on his own up front is a waste of time both together up front you can see the difference so if ollie dont want to play 4-4-2 then 3-5-2 would work

• October 20, 2014 at 15:16

@DELBOY64: Our defence is bad enough with 4 defenders I personally wouldn't risk it. We're moving in the right direction we just need to sort out our marking on set pieces which I know I'm going to get stick for this but Shituu used to sort the lads out and marshal them well. On a funny note Lee Clarke just got sacked lol, what a pxick.

• October 20, 2014 at 20:16

And he then uttered the emortal words....I fooking ate this place.

• October 20, 2014 at 20:17