bestkinky

Millwall to wear camouflage kit in aid of injured troops

MILLWALL will wear a camouflage kit in their home game against Brentford next month to raise money for injured troops.

The Lions have been given permission by the Football League to wear the specially-designed strip, which will benefit an army rehabilitation centre in Surrey.

The logo of Headley Court, Leatherhead, is emblazoned on the shirt and £10 from every sale will go to the facility.

Millwall hope to raise at least £20,000 for wounded soldiers and have released a YouTube video, featuring manager Ian Holloway, to promote the strip.

In the advert, Holloway can be heard reading war poem In Flanders Fields over footage of Lions players and soldiers wearing the kit at Headley Court.

Holloway told The Sun: "It's fair to say I had a lump in my throat and my eyes may have been watering.

"But this again shows what Millwall is all about and, until I came here, I didn't realise quite how much this club reaches out to the real things in life.

"I am bursting with pride that we're supporting Headley Court, where people who have fought for our country with such loyalty, honesty and bravery are being cared for.

"All of us at Millwall are proud to stand with them."

1,500 of the shirts will be going on sale next Monday, priced at £50, ahead of their official viewing against the Bees on the eve of Remembrance Sunday (November 8).

This year is the 100th anniversary of the First World War.

71 thoughts on “Millwall to wear camouflage kit in aid of injured troops

• October 17, 2014 at 07:42

Well done Millwal Lets all remember the fallen and the injured its great that Millwall are the first team to do this in all the leagues on remembrance weekend

• October 17, 2014 at 11:29

BARNSLEY FC OLD SCHOOL
      What a fantastic tribute by Millwall FC for raising money for help for hero's and wearing a camouflage kit v Brentford.

Some of the premiership footballers earning £250k per week should maybe dip their hands in their pockets and donate also.

Wonder if any 21 year old soldiers in Flanders all those years ago said to their commanding officer I'm too tired today

Millwall often get terrible press and bullied week in week out by stormtrooper police but just shows you what a proper club should be about.

• October 17, 2014 at 17:50

@BARNSLEY FC OLD SCHOOL: Thanks pal, it's a great cause where all clubs should come together and support these brave men and women who have fought our freedom thereby letting us support our teams. NOLU WDC

• October 17, 2014 at 08:05

My heart is bursting with pride....come on you lions.

• October 17, 2014 at 08:17

Take note all you supposed top clubs, this is what a club is all about. This just makes me even more proud to support this club. Bet we don't see this in the Mirror or the news. I will try to be 1st in line to get one of these awesome shirts. NOLU WDC

• October 17, 2014 at 08:49

@mitchamscaff: I would much rather this shirt than the away ones we have to vote for and would be happy to pay extra for the armed forces scrap those other 3 shitty choices and go with this one. COYL

• October 17, 2014 at 16:27

@mitchamscaff: I tell you what, they should make a lot more than 1500 shirts they will sell like hot cakes, and dare I say they should jack the price up by a fiver and anyone wearing one on the day should get free entry along with any past or present servicemen and women. That'll pack the place out and honour the brave people who protect our freedom. NOLU WDC Mitcham Scaff feeling very proud right now!

• October 17, 2014 at 08:18

Amazing. Why do only lower league teams such as seem to care? If teams like city, united or chelsea did this they would make a killing for charity.. as per they dont care. Il be buying one, plus i think it looks nice aswell! Great job by all concerned.. not enough clubs honour our armed forces we are one of the very few.

• October 17, 2014 at 11:11

@SLloyd23: @mitchamscaff: Its in the Sun this morning. Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

• October 17, 2014 at 16:22

@block17: Yeah I know it was a good spread which makes a change but you'll never see that in the Mirror or the news on Sky.

• October 17, 2014 at 08:21

Wow just watched the video...crying my eyes out on the train..... Bless them that gave so much..bless millwall for remembering them...we should never forget.

• October 17, 2014 at 08:23

Absolutely brilliant! Proud of my club. Pure pride.

• October 17, 2014 at 09:01

@conor: whoever put a dislike is a F***** w*****

• October 17, 2014 at 10:43

@bobthelion: ignore the dislikes Bob, it's just wind up merchants having a pop. I respond to comments not dislikes

• October 17, 2014 at 11:38

@bobthelion: I'm not sure why someone would put a dislike. Remembrance Day is something we all have a part in and there can't be many fans who's forefathers weren't called up to do their duty, so well done Millwall.

My only concern is that we guard against anyone who'd hijack honourable gestures like this to re-inforce their biggoted opinions of our club and country - just look at other Millwall forums which have plenty of people openly spouting some pretty nasty nationalistic rhetoric.

• October 17, 2014 at 08:27

This is fantastic, for true hero's, well done the wall.

• October 17, 2014 at 08:34

Well done MFC, brilliant.
    Let's hope the Brentford defence don't see our strikers and we can score loads of goals !!!

• October 17, 2014 at 11:23

@dpendet: I just hope our forwards aren't firing blanks ( as usual ) and our defence don't go Awol ! Come on you lions !

• October 17, 2014 at 08:46

Just when you think you've sussed millwall out they go and do something like this..god bless all that fought in that terrible war...also a special thanks to our present armed forces

• October 17, 2014 at 08:53

Great idea Millwall, beats that nonsense about the pink kit

• October 17, 2014 at 08:55

Wow! Powerful stuff Millwall. Truly a fantastic club. God bless those that give ALL for this country.

• October 17, 2014 at 08:57

This is why I love millwall pity I can't afford a shirt l would wear it with pride on remembrance Sunday along with my poppy UP THE FORCES & UP MILLWALL

• October 17, 2014 at 08:58

I love one got to try and get one I hope but we'll done MILLWALL 10/10

• October 17, 2014 at 09:01

I still like the pink panther kit....if we get the pink kit will we have to change our nickname?????+ heaven forbid....no no pink should be out of the question...plus how about the whole league follow us and make every home team for that week wear it too ?that would raise at least a couple of millions.

• October 17, 2014 at 09:12

Brilliant idea our forces past & present proper respect.

• October 17, 2014 at 09:18

absolutely fantastic video, and fantastic thing for the club to do. Enormous pride in our club.

• October 17, 2014 at 09:38

Yeah but remember...No one likes us we don't care.

• October 17, 2014 at 09:48

So let me get this straight. These men and women risk their lives fighting for the British state on not much pay and in pointless and counter-productive wars, get injured and then the state doesn't pick up the full tab to give them the rehabilitation they need? Who'd be a soldier? Hardly a land fit for heroes, is it?

• October 17, 2014 at 09:51

Who gets the other 40 quid ?

• October 17, 2014 at 19:01

@thecolumbusblock: said on the official website it'd all be donated to the Hedley Court Benevolent fund. But that's not clear from the article.

• October 17, 2014 at 20:48

@sl28: well lets hope so , its says above that a tenner from each shirt sold goes to headley court, id hate to think that someone is making a bigger profit somehow .

• October 17, 2014 at 10:08

Very very proud indeed. THATS WHATS MAKES US DIFFERENT TO THE REST ! Pure class ,well done all concerned.

• October 17, 2014 at 15:44

@DiggerWall: WHO EVER PUT DISLIKE ,YOU ARE A DOG S*** EATING C***! IF YOU WANT TO OUT YOURSELF . DO SO . LETS HAVE A MEET C*** !

• October 17, 2014 at 16:13

@DiggerWall: Well said DiggerWall if the little c******.s do feel brave give me a shout dirty ungrateful bstards. NOLU WDC

• October 17, 2014 at 16:29

@mitchamscaff: THANKS Mitch . Hope its the vermin ,trying to wind me up. Not our own.

• October 17, 2014 at 17:44

@DiggerWall: No wucking forries. NOLU WDC

• October 17, 2014 at 10:15

So we will wear it once a year(ie november).why not make it next seasons away kit..and the charity will earn alot more..

• October 17, 2014 at 10:36

Very moving.
    As said above discarded by the people that sent them to war once they've served their purpose.
    Disgusting treatment.
    Well done everyone at Millwall F.C.

• October 17, 2014 at 10:50

Where we lead others should follow.

• October 17, 2014 at 11:14

Whoever come up with the idea or wherever it came from they should be well proud. A massive tick for this club. Ya can take the boy out of millwall but ya can't take millwall out of the boy.

• October 17, 2014 at 11:16

Wow, always proud to be a Lion but this to stand among real Lions who have fought and been injured for our country, This is a shirt I will be buying and will be wearing with pride. Pride of London Londons Pride. Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

• October 17, 2014 at 11:37

Not much more to say for what has already been said, awesome idea & its good to see Millwall at the front with such an awesome idea & effort. As an ex serviceman for some 17 yrs it brings great pride in getting feedback of how proud our fellow countrymen / women feel for all the armed services, as someone said earlier many men & women give a lot for very little - priceless really

• October 17, 2014 at 11:44

Excellent millwall sent a shiver down my spine

Lest we forget

• October 17, 2014 at 12:28

Well done Millwall. I served in the army in the 70s and 80s, and did two tours of Ireland, but I never see our dead in that conflict remembered. But I am proud of what the Lions are doing, shame on the t...s that have put dislikes on this site.

• October 17, 2014 at 13:30

Brilliant news well done all.
    Camouflage kit and bright yellow boots
    Probably get away with it standing in an afghan bush with daffodils around it. Well done Martin 😉

• October 17, 2014 at 14:06

Militarism should be kept out of sport, what about the thousands of innocent victims of these foreign wars in places we have no right to be in? Sorry its gesture politics and should be kept out of sport, If the government spends millions sending our young men to fight then they can spend as much in supporting the injured and traumatized on their return.

• October 17, 2014 at 15:09

@Peckhamlad: its a case of being respectful to the servicemen who gave up there lives.cos they believed in freedom.without that freedom you wouldn't be able to support millwall.

• October 17, 2014 at 15:07

Outstanding Millwall.

• October 17, 2014 at 15:29

Well done Millwall as an ex soldier with family members in the forces I am so proud of you. I wonder if we could get the Customs and Excise to wave the VAT on the sales of the shirts. That would almost double the funds raised

• October 17, 2014 at 16:20

@Cardinal: That's a good point but you know as well as I do that'll never happen as they're the most bent public service going.

• October 17, 2014 at 15:55

Can you imagine the press coverage, if this gesture was thought up by anyone of the premiership bertie-big-bollo:;^ teams.Well done Wall, so proud of you.COYL.

• October 17, 2014 at 16:04

Well done to the Sun newspaper, great coverage.

• October 17, 2014 at 16:39

Not seen it yet but I will be buying one on the way home.

• October 17, 2014 at 17:25

Absolutely fantastic Millwall.
    This is what we are about.
    Proper club,Proper people.
    MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLL

• October 17, 2014 at 17:52

I don't think i could be me proud of my club than i do after reading this.

• October 17, 2014 at 18:55

That is why we are the biggest little club in the world. shall wear it with pride.

• October 17, 2014 at 20:32

Proud of you Millwall

• October 17, 2014 at 22:54

As an ex Soldier I am very very proud of what Millwall have done.
    I believe that this is a very good cause supporting the army rehabilitation centre in Headley Court for wounded soldiers.
    I sincerely hope that we as a club manage to raise the £20,000 and hope that we are kept informed of how the money is put to good use.

• October 18, 2014 at 20:25

@MillwallGra: Hi gra great comments I would think we wil sell all of the 1500 shirts and headly court deserves the all the money that it raises and also I was a pleasure meeting your brother dark last time I was down.

• October 18, 2014 at 00:00

Always been proud to be a Lion.
    Well done Millwall, fantastic support for a great cause.

• October 18, 2014 at 02:50

Does anyone think 1500 shirts will be enough? I definately want one and will be 'Pi$$ed Off' if i dont! I'm ex-RAF 25+ years, but now I'm slightly disabled, I've been a patient at Headley Court, it was just after the First Gulf War! The Centre is amazing and so are the totally dedicated staff.
    I've been talking to some serving and ex-Military, they have nothing but admiration for what Millwall are doing, as Headley Court is in every current and ex-servicemen/women's heart. I've even been told by some non-Millwall supporters wouldn't mind buying one, because of the cause! Even some Hammers fans are very impressed by the clubs actions!
    COYL

• October 18, 2014 at 22:01

I've just read an earlier comment, it mentioned that although we are the 'Lions'! On the day of the game against Barnsley, the 'Real Lions' there will be the Servicemen who will be attending from Headley Court. Would it be a good gesture from the fans, to let them know that we think that they're the 'Real Lions' by giving them a 'Verbal' salute as such?

• October 19, 2014 at 04:08

Apart from the amount raised for this noble cause wide attention will be drawn to Headley court, and that's got to be a good thing.
    Only 10 Sterling profit.....? I'm dubious about that, but congratulate management on regardles
    Just finished reading the Bomb hunters about our men in Afghan and Iraq. These men are old school in respect to gallantry and esprit de corps. I am sure that many others apart from Millwall will buy these shirts.

• October 19, 2014 at 04:12

Only 10 Sterling profit.....? I'm dubious about that, but congratulate management on this initiative.
    When so much is in decay i feel exceptional pride for the armed forces and the gallantry displayed by the men and women serving in conflicts of dubious benefit to the UK.
    Genuine respect!

• October 20, 2014 at 09:56

no good been trying since about 8 this morning first they took off the shirts from their web site then from 9 as stated there was no way you could go on line to buy one, i have tried ringing for the last hour over 200 times to try to buy one over the phone but still no luck, think they had them and opened the shop early to walk in customers. i really wanted to buy them for my family as we are avid supporters but there is no way you can buy on line or from the phone, so if you live near (unlike me in devon) there is a slight possible chance you can get one if you dont live close like me keep dreaming as they are gone, disappointed much

• October 20, 2014 at 13:40

I've also been trying all morning, I live in Brighton so I can't get to the 'Club Shop'. It seems on-line ordering can't cope, the Shirts are on view but it wont allow you to order! Every Bl**dy time I've rang it's been engaged.
    It appears the Club may have grossly underestimated the demand for not just the Shirts, but the desire to help RAF Headley Court. Why did the Club not consider taking payments, then ordering the correct amount of Shirts. It seems that only having 1500 shirts may not be enough!!!
    COYL Order more Shirts Please!