bestkinky

Millwall winger to return to training ahead of Wolves game

MILLWALL are hopeful that Lee Martin will be able to return from a knee ligament injury against Wolves in the first game after the international break.

The Lions have not won a match since Martin was sidelined in early September.

But boss Ian Holloway has confirmed that the winger should be available for selection soon.

"Lee will be in full training next week," Holloway said. "He's just doing his final preparations before coming back into the group."

13 thoughts on “Millwall winger to return to training ahead of Wolves game

• October 9, 2014 at 12:30

I'm really surprised the wheels fell off during Martins injury. Yes he's a key player but we have squad and a number of players that should of stepped up to the mark to take on his role in the team. I don't think we should be putting this type of pressure on one player. Sorry state of affairs really...

• October 9, 2014 at 12:57

@Windy: totally agree I like him but he's not that good that we should have missed him that much WHO DO YOU BLAME ?

• October 9, 2014 at 13:25

@bobthelion: I don't blame any one player, its a collective responsibility. But Harford, Ollie and his coaching staff all realized before Martin's injury that we were light in this area and didn't do enough early doors to cover it. And they still ain't. How long has he been out? 4/5 weeks?? and we still haven't sorted it. Although they weren't ideal, Pennant, Etherington, Eagles all come through the door in this time and then f***** off again. The loan window has been open for i don't know how long and they still haven't brought someone in. Beggars belief........

• October 9, 2014 at 13:14

We rushed bailey back against fulham(only to make things worse).done the same against huddersfield.not only was he p*** poor.he also suffered a worse injury...i want martin back but not at the expence of the team and him being out for the season..we want our players 100% fit ...

• October 9, 2014 at 22:01

@Jim28: Yes your bang on there Jim. If we rush him back it will hurt the team more in the long run. Ease him back in the team gently, we've already made that mistake with Bailey. The reason we've missed Martin so much is because the lad works his socks off and the team feeds off that good energy. He defends from the front and if he losses the ball he fights tooth and nail for it which alongside the likes Gregory and O'Brien will only be a good thing. Also he would be a great 1st line of defence if Dunne carries on at RB, more tactically sound teams will probably look to expose him, It wasn't just Edwards holding the fort on the right hand side that's where we struggled against Reading especially. NOLU WDC

• October 9, 2014 at 13:24

To be fair to Alex Aldridge he has only said that "The Lions have not won a match since Martin was sidelined in early September". He hasn't said that his absence is the reason. I don't personally believe that Martin has such a great influence, as I've said in posts before. He does work really hard and also he does have skill BUT, and this is a big but, he doesn't actually produce that much. He'll maybe beat a player and then get caught out before getting his cross in. His confidence is brittle. (So maybe the sports psychologist can help him, whatever the doubters may think!)
    I saw the game up at Forest, which was the beginning of our revival, and I reckon this was his best game for us by far, and I've not seen a lot of that before or since. I'd love to be proved wrong (a turn of phrase I see so much on this site) but I'm not sure he gives us the threat that we need, or the ability to provide the chances for our strikers - assuming we have any.
    And by the way, on the subject of whether sports psychologists have any place in football, I can't believe people can even doubt it. Why do all the best teams and managers, and players in all sports use them? Now whether the man Millwall has got is any good, I've no idea, but the principle is sound. So much of the game is played in the head - confidence, awareness, etc - so it's beyond stating the obvious to say that helping players to get their heads right has to be important. Think about your own lives, whatever your line of work, and see how much your mind affects what you actually do well - or don't do well.

• October 9, 2014 at 13:25

Not sure about any of these decisions anymore a lot of them look like knee jerk reactions and some funny sound bites, when all we want is a team that knows where all there positions are and dont go in at half time 1 nil down. Sure we like winning but I am sure everyone on here is realalistic about where we will be at the end of the season.
    It would be good if we finish in the top half i.e 14th but the main thing is we dont want another fight to stay in this division.

• October 9, 2014 at 14:28

A pound to a pinch of sh*t thats where we will be towards the dnd of the season. I dont think my ticker can take another basement dogfight.

• October 9, 2014 at 14:32

I was surprised by how much our team lacked invention and creativity when Martin went out, Fred had a great chance to step up but it seems it came a little early for him. Penant/Etherington and Eagles are welcome never to return in my opinion, I would have liked Eagle but his attitude was poor and where is he playing now eh?

• October 9, 2014 at 20:26

I have no issue with sports psychology but no amount of mind reprogramming will turn a sows ear into a silk purse. Get our best players playing in their correct positions, in a settled side and the 'feelings of anxiety' will be less likely to appear.

• October 9, 2014 at 23:27

@lion.ie: No, but an anxious mind can turn a silk purse into a sow's ear.

• October 9, 2014 at 21:43

Just don't bring him back too bloody early