bestkinky

Holloway calls for calm as Millwall prepare to tackle Derby

IAN Holloway will not abandon his positive outlook after four defeats in five games and insists Millwall's players and fans need to remain calm in the face of adversity.

The Lions boss won't panic following Tuesday's 3-1 loss to Birmingham and says he cannot understand talk of a crisis at the club.

Holloway believes the peaks and troughs of the season so far are symptomatic of the fact that Millwall remain a work in progress under his leadership.

And he says the future looks bright at The Den depsite a recent dip in form.

"I wasn't getting carried away at the start of the season and I won't be getting carried away now," Holloway said ahead of Saturday's trip to Derby.

"The standard is so high because most of the best English players outside of the national team have dropped down to the Championship. It's strewn with quality players.

"It's very difficult for all of us but I'm not going to get caught in the malaise of it all. That would be madness. We're a work in progress.

"My future is here and I'm really looking forward to working through this blip and keeping the encouragement going.

"There were enough positives in that second half against Birmingham.

"But my point is that we've got to stay calm. I just can't understand the 'crisis' talk – it's all a bit silly. If there were three games left this season, then it'd be a crisis.

"The way we are playing and intergrating some of the younger ones bodes well for the future. I've got to get the balance right between the kids and the senior ones.

"There's a long-term plan and a short-term plan and the short-term plan isn't looking great because we've lost four of our last five.

"But I would argue we played a lot better than our results would suggest.

"I've got to stay calm and stay patient because I know what I'm trying to do. When you start the season so well, like we did, everybody's expectations go up.

"With the injuries we've picked up, it's tough.

"It's a very, very tough league. If you look at the top of it, there are strikers worth £5m and £11m. Lewis Grabban, who we used to have, cost £3m.

"Everybody has got their own issues and we are where we are.

"We want to see our team being physically and mentally strong because of the club we are so we have to iron out these frailties.

"That will be down to my coaching and talking – the manager leading by example and the players stepping to the plate.

"It is a marathon not a sprint and I beleive in getting the right things for Millwall.

"We'll keep moving forward. It takes time to build something but I think the squad is in a better place now than when I took over.

"We've got to prove that by the end of the season but nothing is decided yet.

"Do Norwich think they've won the league in October? Nobody has done anything after ten games. Let's get some reality and perspective.

"I don't understand, and I never will, why football is so black and white.

"Where is the middle ground? The reactions are crazy – you're either world beaters or crap and that's not the reality.

"The fact is we are working towards getting better and as long as my players are giving me everything I'll support them. Nobody has let me down and we're determined to do well.

"Maybe the emotion of our club is costing the lads a bit of focus.

"My suggestion to them is that we're not in heaven and we're not in hell if we score or the other team scores – just stay level-headed.

"I'm proud of their efforts and they've all worked really hard for each other. We're going to find a way to get this right and prove everybody wrong – that's what we're going to do."

46 thoughts on “Holloway calls for calm as Millwall prepare to tackle Derby

• October 3, 2014 at 11:26

All we are saying on here is pick a team & stick to it. That includes Gregory & o brien

• October 3, 2014 at 11:27

Any more insults for the fans you bald mug

• October 3, 2014 at 11:39

@Jim28: yes jim, he says you can't spell.

• October 3, 2014 at 12:30

@Jim28: Ollie tells me that he holds you in very high regard Jim and looks forward to your advice

• October 3, 2014 at 12:37

@junkmale: there's only one person olly holds in high regard.and thats himself

• October 3, 2014 at 11:33

Time to update on some facts - sorry.
    We have scored 3 or more goals ONCE in the last 88 League games.
    Funny enough before this run started we scored 3 or more goals in 3 successive games ?
    In the last 3 and a bit seasons we have lost 30 League games at Home ?
    Lack of a goalscorer has contributed to this.
    JB we will not increase gates at Home unless all above improves.
    Carry on.lol.

• October 3, 2014 at 11:33

Sounds a bit like "Dad's Army" -"Don't panic Mr Mannering" IH talks out all the quality players in the championship but there are not that many at Millwall, whose fault is that?

• October 3, 2014 at 11:40

Does anyone understand the gobbledegook Holloway is talking about ??????????

• October 3, 2014 at 13:21

@Longfield Lion: yeah, basically he is saying we are s***, but not that s***

• October 3, 2014 at 11:41

That's ok what your saying Mr Holloway bit us supporters who have been here longer then you have heard and seen it all before , all we ask is pick a team and stand by the team stop playing players out of there natural positions example Dunn is not a central defender and never will be , you said that you never had a right back against Birmingham except the idiot you played the other night well why u never put Dunn back on the right back postion and brought Webster on is baffling me and many other wall fans I have spoke too , and ford on getting beat by long distance goals is a joke think you should look very carefully at them positions in the team PLEASE stick with a winning team .

• October 3, 2014 at 11:49

SLP; holloway said.people try to cause problems by using the word crisis..and a lot of negative people.(in short us the fans are to blame).but what got my goat was that he thought we would get on Gregory's back..to come out with that he dont really understand us.

• October 3, 2014 at 11:59

@Jim28: Your right he don't understand us we are diffrent supporters to what he is use to we are not palace or Bristol we are millwall a breed of our own .

• October 3, 2014 at 22:35

@John: well he is right about the over reacting.

3-4 games in and people think were amazing and destined for playoffs and now were the shittest team in the world and doomed to be relegated because we've lost some games.

Can't wait for the post match comments after Derby.

• October 3, 2014 at 12:06

Is there any connection between the real world and Ollie World? He rambles on time after time but it is deeds not words that he is being judged by.
    Why has he not sorted out the defence? It is a shambles. If you can’t score surely you have to be able to defend and perhaps hope to nick a goal?
    Why will he not play a settled side?
    What is he doing in training for players to be unfit at this stage of the season?
    Holloway might be a character but he is not the man to manage Millwall. Time to move on.

• October 3, 2014 at 12:21

Reality has set in with you all now and trust Lions Live stop conning us and get real - forget the playoffs!
    Our players are average in the Championship and we do not have the money to go and buy our way out, let alone push for promotion.
    What Ollie must do is get the best out of what we have. That will keep us up and he knows it, he knew it from day one and the budget given.
    If he keeps us up or slightly above the relegation zone, its well done to him.

• October 3, 2014 at 12:24

@John: @John: it is black and white we score and stop them scoring

• October 3, 2014 at 12:42

It's alright good golly ollie talking about staying calm he can bugger off with big payout we're here for LIFE

• October 3, 2014 at 12:59

Holloway hasn't become a bad manager overnight!! Started the season with a bang and everyone was very happy and we were going to make play-offs "In Holloway We Trust" and all that b*******, we have a blip and the same people call for Holloway's head.... have a bit of perspective! At the start of the season about 85% or more fans (who voted for where you think we will finish this season) said outside play-offs and didn't really care as long as we improve on last season!

We are playing good football, none of this hoof sh*t and actually a joy to see some of the ball players we have in the middle of the park which we haven't had since Cahill was here.

Crisis, what crisis? I think it's still fantastic that we are still in the Championship and loving every minute of it!! I haven't seen a Millwall side play on the floor as much as this 1 in all my life, whilst there is so much more focus on the youth and building for the future (which when this last happened we was in the play-offs).

It's all about perspective rather than doom and gloom when we lose! Just enjoy watching the mighty Lions each week and actually support the club and what Holloway is doing!!

• October 3, 2014 at 14:00

@Bradders: I find this website very strange, literally within 30 seconds I had an extra 15 "dislikes" on my post out of nowhere, I reckon there is something very weird about that.... I reckon Jim28 or Bushwacker has been on and given me their usual 15 dislikes and themselves the customary 15 likes!

• October 3, 2014 at 14:12

@Bradders: don't worry mate, I get it all the time. Recon some people have multiple accounts. Probably only 40 people who really post on here

• October 3, 2014 at 14:54

@Geoff the lion: @bradders. Put a post on here earlier and got 20 dislikes straight away lol. Only 13 other people on here and yet none left a comment! Probably only capable of pushing buttons as they can write lmfao

• October 3, 2014 at 14:08

@Bradders: couldn't have said it better myself bradders. None of us like loosing but as you rightly said, it's about the bigger picture. We started off well but let's face it, we made up for the lack of skill with hard work. When ollie said he wanted 7 points from 3 games, the first away to Ipswich, I couldn't stop laughing. If we get mid table this season, I'm good with that. I think we will finish strong and kick off next season with play off intentions. I for one am glad we have ollie, he will do good by us, but we need understand he is trying to make a silk purse out of a pigs ear. It would also help his cause if he let someone else handle the press cos he's f#####g embarrassing and digs himself a hole

• October 3, 2014 at 14:18

@Geoff the lion: Unbelievable Geoff! Sorry had to be done.... I agree 15th or above is better than last season which is an improvement.... considering some of the cubs in this league who can spend over £1million on a single player I think we are doing well!
        We outplayed the team favourites for promotion (Forest) and deserved a win, but because we didn't win the last 4 it looks a lot worse than it actually is!

• October 3, 2014 at 19:02

@Bradders:
      "still in the Championship and loving it"? You're 'aving a tin mate! Sod the pretty football, this is a results business & if we don't get results we're finished. Staying up last season was the very least we should expect from overpaid prima donnas. I want more than just staying up; I want value for money and at the moment I'm not getting it. For over 45 years I've followed wall all over the place and while some are content with average performances and poor results, I bloody well ain't!

• October 6, 2014 at 12:03

@NO1LIKESUS: You have really missed the point here mate! I'm saying we are playing much better football and just not getting the results we deserve from the way we play! You have to move on from the old "kick & rush" football, which is more accustomed to the Conference than league football.

• October 3, 2014 at 13:32

Will he be calling for calm next may when we're in the bottom three? Sort it now mr clown, sorry mr holloway.

• October 3, 2014 at 13:41

I was in the stands on Tuesday and not once did I hear we were in crisis...Frustrated yes, crisis no. Ollie is right that we need not panic, but he is also wrong...we pay our money, we expect a good performance and he should listen to what we say, either by reading comments on this site or by having a fans Q&A evening. I also feel that he cannot grasp how we are playing by being on the touchline as it does not highlight our weaknesses. Why cannot he utilise NH and have him communicate with MB if he stays on ground level?

• October 3, 2014 at 14:02

@vonhardshaft: I agree with you, definitely not in crisis!

This is where Pete Garston, the "fan on the board" needs to get involved a hell of a lot more, speak to fans and he then puts that across to Ollie!! I haven't heard anything from this guy all season and he is meant to be a voice for the fans... you are having a f****** laugh!

• October 3, 2014 at 14:16

@Bradders: pete who? I was emailing him once when lomas was in charge asking him what sort of questions where put to lomas regarding tactics. He said they never discuss tactics, just commercial stuff like how to regenerate the local area! He is one useless p###k

• October 3, 2014 at 14:26

@Geoff the lion: Bang on!! I was e-mailing him before he got re-elected and told him that he needs to get in front of fans and have that open communication with fans telling us what is going on as well as being the 1 person who the fans turn to when we have some gripe!

Meant to be 1 voice for thousands of fans, but I never once hear about anything he has done for the club or been that person who tells the board exactly how we feel.... after all why would he, the guy has got it very cosy with the Chairman (and a free season-ticket in the directors box).

• October 3, 2014 at 14:31

I doubt the bloke would understand tactics unless it was wrapped around a pukka pie. We need someone on the board so the fans can be heard

• October 3, 2014 at 15:34

@Bradders: I had completely forgotten the fan on the board, but why cannot he arrange a fans meeting to hear us out...what qualifies you as a fan on the board? Yes we are worried that the players brought in are not performing, yes we are worried that we will have a relegation fight on our hands again...we don't need another season of heartache...we as fans deserve some effort.

• October 3, 2014 at 14:28

We should look at the positives. When we have played well this season we've been a match for anyone. At those times we are better than we've been in the last 5 years. Ollie is trying to give us something jacket never could, on the deck quality football, and we are starting to see glimpses of it. Have faith, you'll all be wanting his babies come the end of next season

• October 3, 2014 at 14:33

Give it time lads, I don't think IH intentionally is insulting supporters, I don't want to preach as I don't get to go to as many games as I would like as I now live near Derby, but still enjoy it when I get to the Den have supported wall since I was 9 I'm now 47, we criticise millwall but when I speak to forest and derby fans they say how well we play, just wish one day we would get a chairman who only cared about football and getting into the prem then everybody would be happy, I think we will have a good season other teams are slowing down now, wolves losing forest 3 draws on trot, last team to beat derby at home millwall let's get back to winning, see you there on Saturday, don't criticise me to much

• October 3, 2014 at 14:39

@jcmfc1967: mate, are you on a wind up? Jb is a legend in my books. Puts his own money into the club and is only restricted by financial fair play rules! Maybe you'd like ken bates as chairman lol

• October 3, 2014 at 14:50

@Geoff the lion: Haha JB is a legend, loses £5million a season on Millwall and just does it because he loves the club and football! If we had an extra 2000 fans each home game that would be an extra £50,000 alone on tickets x lets say 20 home games, that's already £1million, then you have all the beer, food and merchandise on top.... then we can start competing with the bigger boys with financial fair play!

• October 3, 2014 at 15:05

@Bradders: agreed, the thing is how do you get more fans to turn up. Dropping the ticket prices would help but give kids under 8 free. Plus a loyalty rebate if you attend 95% of home games for people that can't afford season tickets. Also by keeping the refreshment prices at a lower rate but having more places to get them would increase revenue. They could get people pitch side to sell refreshments and programmes, maybe even merchandise like hats etc before the match and at half time. Just a thought

• October 3, 2014 at 15:19

@Geoff the lion: no I just think we need to give holloway time, yes JB is a legend but we never sign big names and quality, when we do get quality players we lose them.to, jackett was an amazing manager but he knew he had done his best, Like I said I'm going to preach as I don't go enough anymore as when I lived in Peckham I went every home and away game, I think we will do well

• October 3, 2014 at 15:21

I see it up here all the time, kids for a quid week day games a tenner not that I go them....haha

• October 3, 2014 at 15:14

Keeping the faith. Isn't that what makes millwall????
    Let's not disappoint then.

• October 3, 2014 at 18:24

Completely respect your right to an opinion Bradders but I wish you and other posters would stop using the term 'everyone'. Personally I was never carried away with our start, didn't dream of making the play-offs and predicted the winless run we are now on. Also you are right, Holloway didn't become a bad manager overnight but has become a vastly over rated one over a number of years.

• October 3, 2014 at 18:26

@lion.ie:
      Finally. A normal person

• October 6, 2014 at 12:10

@82wall: I agree, I was using the term everyone loosely, didn't mean to cause any offence to you, just the ones who know what tripe they keep coming up with!

Ollie over rated? Taken 2 teams who were favourites for relegation at the start of the season and got them promoted. You just don't do that if you aren't a good manager.

I have always said different managers will do better and certain clubs than others, but Ollie is one of the better managers we could hope for!

• October 3, 2014 at 18:25

This website has too many idiots. Aldo, see what kind of person you have attracted to this site ? Hardly anyone with any clue about Millwall. Just a load of divs who think we should be winning every game. Oh and by the way, NO ONE IS LISTENING TO YOU, when your talking on here to holloway etc, if he did read it, there's no way he'd listen anyway because half the time it's d*** heads like NIKOLA and jim28 talking absoloute crap. Jim by the way, has been sussed, and I must say the site of him makes me feel that a care home somewhere is missing it's main patient. Drip of the highest order, part of the group us normal fans cringe about when we see them jumping off coach 1 embarrassing us with their out dated clothing and divvy attitude.

• October 3, 2014 at 19:04