bestkinky

Ollie could change tactics as Millwall look to bounce back

MILLWALL could line up in a different formation against Birmingham tonight after boss Ian Holloway admitted he must "do something to change things".

His side are looking to respond to their 2-1 defeat to Huddersfield Town at the weekend.

With Lee Martin out injured and the Lions short of options in wide areas, Holloway could go with a narrower shape for the Blues' visit to The Den.

Holloway has use a midfield diamond in the past but also hasn't ruled out starting with three centre backs.

"We've lost that balance of having runners in the wide areas," he said. "I might have to change our shape instead of changing lots of personnel.

"If that is a change of tactic or change of shape that suits the players that are fit, then I might have to do that.

"We need goals from everywhere but we've lost our one and only true winger in Lee, so if I'm trying to play 4-3-3 is that right? I have a lot of midfielders.

"I've got boatloads of centre backs so I could go a different way and start three at the back.

"That's what Huddersfield did on Saturday – they rolled the dice a different way and it caught us.

"I've got to do something to change things because it's not going right at the moment."

Justin Hoyte could start his first league game this season.

"The crowd need to be with him and give him a chance because he hasn't played for ages," Holloway added.

"He's the only out-and-out right back at the club who is fit at the moment."

27 thoughts on “Ollie could change tactics as Millwall look to bounce back

• September 30, 2014 at 10:22

I'm willing to give Justin Hoyte another chance, but from what I have seen of him, I don't rate him if I'm honest. I'd like to see Gregory have a change IMO. COYL !!!

• September 30, 2014 at 11:14

@MillwallLad123: if he plays we should support him.

We gain nothing from slagging him off.

• September 30, 2014 at 10:28

well another system to confuse everybody..lets hope he gets it right before we suffer another defeat

• September 30, 2014 at 10:55

@peter2545: olly that hole your digging is getting bigger & bigger..nob

• September 30, 2014 at 10:28

Well that's a surprise!!!!! Lets go for another set up. Why cant we just use a system that the players are comfortable with and keep it, all this chopping and changing really can't be helping. That said I still fancy 3 points tonight.

• September 30, 2014 at 11:20

@Davey: 1996 last time we beat Birmingham so we're due a win that's for sure!

• September 30, 2014 at 10:29

Hope there's changes otherwise I'm giving my ST to charity!!!!

• September 30, 2014 at 10:31

What is it with Managers that keep changing formations/players positions etc ?
    Football is a simple game,complicated by Managers/coaches !!
    Play 4-2-4 - TWO STRIKERS and then we may see goals for a change.
    Footballers are not the brightest sparks and are confused easily.lol.

• September 30, 2014 at 16:12

@Longfield Lion: 4-2-4 long field!!! Don't you mean 4-4-2? Then again, wouldn't be surprised if the mental one went for 4-2-4

• September 30, 2014 at 10:44

''I'm trying to play 4-3-3 is that right? I have a lot of midfielders.''

And one striker I don't play! Let’s hope Clark doesn’t bring any curve balls Ollie!

Please put in a performance tonight! COYW.

• September 30, 2014 at 10:51

Played diamond v southampton..no goals scored.played 3 at the back first 20mins at reading bloody disaster..olly your getting right on my f****** tits..i noticed you didn't mention gregorys name.

• September 30, 2014 at 10:52

Give Gregory a Run, and not just one game. The boy needs to settle in and more importantly provide him with chances. No one else is putting their head up above the parapet on the goals front. This is a massive game in order to stop going in the wrong direction. Lost too many home games already this season. COYL THIS IS THE DEN

• September 30, 2014 at 11:25

@1peckham: no excuses for not giving Gregory a start tonight.

I fear Holloway is very close to losing the fans if he continues with his bizarre team selections and results don't pick up.

• September 30, 2014 at 10:56

the fans are getting p***** off with your excuses IH, for fs get the team sorted b4 its to late.

• September 30, 2014 at 10:57

talking about 3 centre halves well hoyte is not one of them. use malone and maggue as wingbacks and get 2 strikets on

• September 30, 2014 at 10:57

I've only got one out and out right back at the club who is fit at the moment,
    Is dunne injured , if not what the f*** has he bin doing at the club since he was 10 !
    I

• September 30, 2014 at 11:11

Oh dear, the simple game is getting difficult.
    Or is it Olly playing mind games with Brum?

• September 30, 2014 at 11:28

I was looking forward to going tonight,not so sure now, he's p****** me off, ffs play two up front and don't play that muppet hoyte.

• September 30, 2014 at 11:33

talking about 3 centre halves well hoyte is not one of them. use malone and maggue as wingbacks and get 2 strikers on. use williams , jimmy and upson in midfield.

• September 30, 2014 at 11:42

Time for a rant......
    It seems we could've done with that extra winger everybody was talking about during the transfer window...!! Up to now we've made do with what we've got - but a couple of injuries in, and we're having to change our whole strategy.. Everybody involved with the club - fans, players and IH, all said we needed a striker and a winger to complete the squad and we've not got em.. now we're paying for it.
    Unfortunately, no kind of rant from anyone will solve anything, because this problem is completely out of our control - (apart from getting more people to go to games......) - and in this particular situation, not even IH is totally in control because he hasn't got, or had the funds to get really decent players into these important positions..
    Some of us are asking 'FFS why is he changing it?!' - unfortunately he hasn't got a choice now - it's either - change the formation - or play people out of position - and we know how much everybody likes to see that........ So frustrating.. in so many ways.. the biggest thing being we didn't add depth to the squad in the places most needed... RANT OVER.
    Be interesting to see how Ollie gets around these problems tonight - I'd like to see us go back to basics and just keep as much possession as we can - keep the ball on the deck and be patient. When we've stuck to this, it works.
    Start Gregory and Reggie - maybe push Malone forward - Briggs to cover.
    CB's to RB = f**k knows - headache with Dunne as capo - move Dunne to RB? - Webster & Beevers CB?? DON'T KNOW!
    Anyway, I'm gona stop now.. terrible case of keyboard diarrhea this morning! Sorry!
    COYL!!!!!

• September 30, 2014 at 12:31

luke we have had pennant,.ethetidge and eagles and not got any so i have no f@%king idea whats going on

• September 30, 2014 at 12:49

@DELBOY64: Yep, spot on Delboy - didn't like the sound of Pennant coming to us - good player - but don't like his attitude - and his twitter comment sounded kind of like playing for Millwall was out of the question for him... not exactly what he said, but I got that gist..
      As for Etherington and Eagles, who knows?? Level of fitness - disagreements over pay??? Had these reports of em training with us, then just drop off the radar...? F**k knows... having at least 1 winger on the team would be handy wouldn't it?!?

• September 30, 2014 at 13:26

To be honest , I don't care if he plays Hoyte upfront and Gregory in goal ! We need to win tonight , no messing about.

• September 30, 2014 at 14:45

I don't care what formation he plays in defence or midfield but for f**** sake PLAY TWO STRIKERS UP FRONT BECAUSE THIS IS THE ONLY WAY WE WILL SCORE ANY GOALS!!! AND USE GREGORY AS ONE OF THEM!!!

• September 30, 2014 at 16:20

In my opinion it's the same old b***** .

• September 30, 2014 at 16:21

In my opinion it's the same old boll- x

• September 30, 2014 at 18:55

I firmly believe there is method in the madness of IH. I laughed when he said we needed 5 wins out of 8 in the run in to last season, and he ended up keeping us up. So now I think all of his thinking is with logic. However, I remain confused with Gregory's lack of use and even if IH has a plan, when things don't go right how about listening to the fans and give Gregory the start he needs?