bestkinky

Bailey hoping to make Millwall return against Huddersfield

NICKY Bailey is ready to make his Millwall return at Huddersfield Town tomorrow after two months on the sidelines.

Bailey tore his calf muscle in a pre-season friendly against Real Mallorca – and the problem worsened when he came on as substitute against Fulham in August.

But the midfielder’s injury has now fully healed and he is hoping to make his comeback against the Terriers after completing a rigorous rehab program.

“My calf is fine now,” he told the Southwark News. “I’ve been out for a long time but we’ve been really cautious and, touch wood, hopefully everything is right with it.

“It’s been very frustrating. I’ve never been injured before at the start of a season so missing these games has been a bit of a shock for me.

“But you can’t help it when you get a muscle injury, it’s just one of those things. I’ve been working hard to get back since it happened and hopefully I won’t break down again.”

Bailey’s return against former club Fulham proved a false dawn.

“I felt fine during the game but I stiffened up afterwards,” he explained. “The scan showed it was a grade two tear.

“Fulham was a massive game for me personally so maybe I did rush back but I’d trained for three or four days that week and it was fine.

“I wasn’t feeling anything but with hindsight maybe I should have left it a week longer.”

This time around, Millwall have been more careful with Bailey.

“I’ve had a week outside with the physios, another week of full training and then I played 60 minutes for the U21s on Monday,” he said.

“I was in the squad for the Nottingham Forest game but the manager said he didn’t want to risk me. But I’m pushing to be involved on Saturday.

“Training everyday is helping and I will get fitter that way, but there’s nothing like match fitness. I think I’m ready to come back in now.”

15 thoughts on “Bailey hoping to make Millwall return against Huddersfield

• September 26, 2014 at 11:10

Perfect timing partners Williams in midfield and Jimmy starts his second dawn as a right back

• September 26, 2014 at 11:22

@deano22: jimmy at right back will go the same way as dunny did with the fans..would hate to see that..hope he finds a proper rb

• September 26, 2014 at 11:14

No point bringing the lad back too early. Would like to see the Upson, Williams partnership blossom as well so no panic to get Bailey in the side. Udders 1 Wall 2 COYL

• September 26, 2014 at 11:25

@WestKentLion: bring back bailey and gregory for tuesday's match with brum..should be a easy one

• September 26, 2014 at 11:36

@Jim28: famous last words lol

• September 26, 2014 at 11:47

I'd play Powell still, brilliant player

• September 26, 2014 at 12:10

I'd love to sign Chris e problem is to many midfielders not getting games could upset the whole setup

• September 26, 2014 at 12:22

@bobthelion: the fact that woolford is now a doubt due to a back injury.that would leave us light in the wing.but olly as quoted as saying he might not be able to afford him.

• September 26, 2014 at 12:54

@Jim28: I've not seen that but if that is the case why let him train like I said before we are s football club not keep fit club unless good golly ollie is charging em by next season should have enough money to buy a decent striker

• September 26, 2014 at 13:07

@bobthelion
          It dont make sense if we cannot afford the man why is he training with us,we get him fit then he goes to another championship club comes down millwall and scores the winner.Its barmy if you ask me.

• September 26, 2014 at 13:22

@jim1222: the quote in the SLP.suggests the mental one is waiting for eagles to show his hand .i mean you dont give x amount only for the player to say later he would of took less

• September 26, 2014 at 13:20

You might think you are ready to come back, but who are you going to displace? Williams and MacDonald have earnt their regular starting spots. Upson and Powell have had good games. Jimmy the grafter is having a good season and its not a given he is the right back. Woolly and Maggie are thereabouts. Chaplow has shown glimpses of form. Martinez must be nearing fitness soon too. Then there's young Fred.

• September 26, 2014 at 13:37

@wappinglion: martinez...injured.what a waste of time thar

• September 26, 2014 at 19:06

Maybe he wants to play with 10 midfielders no defence no attack after the game his excuse is don't know how we lost we controlled midfield lol

• September 27, 2014 at 11:10

What's happened to the bloke from Spain??