bestkinky

Fit-again Gregory desperate to play more games for Millwall

LEE Gregory admits he has been left frustrated by a lack of game time since his £250,000-move to Millwall in the summer.

The former Halifax star has started just twice for Ian Holloway’s side this season – and a niggling hip injury kept him out of the last three matches.

The 26-year-old played 90 minutes for Neil Harris’ development squad earlier this week in a bid to prove his fitness ahead of Saturday’s Championship clash with Huddersfield Town.

Gregory, who scored 31 goals during the 2013-14 campaign, is now hoping to earn a recall to Holloway’s starting XI at the John Smith’s Stadium.

But he accepts he may have to wait his turn for an opportunity.

"I really hope that I'm involved and that the manager thinks I'm fit enough to be in the squad," Gregory told the Southwark News.

"It is very frustrating because I was playing week in, week out last season and knew I would play every week.

"But I never expected to walk straight into the side here and knew it was going to be tough. That was always in the back of my mind and I expected to be in and out of the side.

"I've got my head around that but I do hope I get an opportunity and that I don't get to Christmas without playing many games, which I am going to fear.

"But there are a lot of games between now and then, and it's a long season, so I'm sure I'll get a run of starts.

"I just have to be patient and bide my time. I know I'll get a chance, I just have to make sure I’m ready for it."

Gregory has been inundated with Twitter messages from fans who are hoping to see him get a run of starts.

"It's been nice reading those," the forward added. "Now that I'm here, I want nothing more than to play. I want to play now and that's why I get so frustrated.

"The frustration that comes from not playing is difficult to deal with. But when I go home I forget about that frustration because tomorrow is always a new day.

"I wake up every morning with a positive outlook. I'm always confident and positive but it would knock me if I was really out of the squad or didn't travel to games even when I'm fit.

"Everyone's confidence would get knocked down in that situation but I'm hoping I'll get my chance soon."

Gregory added: "This is a big week for me. I got a good 90 minutes under my belt on Monday so that's in my favour.

"I'll probably have a quick word with the manager to see what his plans are for me.

"We’ve got three games in the space of a week coming up so if I'm not in the squad on Saturday, hopefully I'll be included for the Birmingham game on Tuesday."

Gregory is desperate to emulate the success of Leicester City’s Jamie Vardy – a former Halifax teammate who is now playing Premier League football.

Last weekend, Vardy scored in a 5-3 win over Manchester United.

"That's exactly my thinking – that I can follow a similar path,” Gregory added.

"I thought about that when Jamie first moved to Leicester a couple of years ago. I stay in touch with him – he's a good lad and a very hard worker with a lot to his game

"There's loads of talent in non-league – some people get a lucky break and others don’t.

"I've always told myself that I can do something similar to Jamie if I put my mind to it and luckily the manager here has given me a chance to do that.

"Once I get playing and get a goal, I'll settle down."

38 thoughts on “Fit-again Gregory desperate to play more games for Millwall

• September 25, 2014 at 09:52

Get yourself fit and prove your worth score a few goals and I'm sure you will be a regular we need a goal scorer show you are the striker we need .

• September 25, 2014 at 16:31

@John: the only way he'll get to start games is if the legend in his own head Fuller gets injured .

• September 25, 2014 at 17:20

@southstandview: Not really as fuller is never going to be a 90minute player , start with gregory finish with fuller . I'm

• September 25, 2014 at 17:55

@John:

Got a bad view from the Jeremy Kyle stand have we ? So you can't wish him well without bad mouthing our most effective forward. Pathetic

• September 25, 2014 at 18:36

@Lincolnshire Lion: you keep on colouring things with your crayons and leave this site to adults ok

• September 25, 2014 at 09:56

Just play him IH and lets see if we have a goalscorer or not.
    We will not know leaving him on the bench.

• September 25, 2014 at 10:00

@Longfield Lion: Gregory has got to have the right attitude to play for Millwall before IH can consider playing him!!

You can tell he has had it easy for the past couple of years as he EXPECTED to be starting every game for Halifax, can't afford to have that same mentality here... the lad needs to work for it and get fitter!

I bet he got frustrated with Holloway not picking him and had a pop, seems a coincidence that when Holloway brought him off earlier in the season and he had a "hissy fit" Gregory didn't play again.....

Would love to see him in a Millwall shirt though!

• September 25, 2014 at 10:17

@Bradders
        I think you may have summed up the situation correctly,one think for sure IH is and has to be the boss how ever off the wall his thinking is.
        Just love you use of the term "hissy fit"---brilliant.
        I hope LG plays soon i really want to see him play a few games on the trot.

• September 25, 2014 at 10:19

@jim1222
          meant your not you
          after all i hardly know you so how can i love you. LOL

• September 25, 2014 at 10:25

@jim1222: Maybe your the type that falls in love easily Jim?

• September 25, 2014 at 10:28

@jim1222: Cheers Jim! Not into the man love thing, but if you swing that way then I respect that haha

• September 25, 2014 at 12:29

@jim1222: f****** man love..no dont go there

• September 25, 2014 at 10:18

@Bradders: i have no problem with players getting the hump by being subbed.shows they want to play.unlike other strikers early in the seaon were only to happy to come of.

• September 25, 2014 at 10:27

@Jim28: I agree it shows passion and desire to play but c'mon you can't just throw your toys out the pram after playing a couple of games and expect to play the whole 90mins or to start games for a new team?! This is a team game, you also have to accept the managers decision and work/play hard for your team mates just as much as the manager and then go again when you are selected to play.

• September 25, 2014 at 10:57

@Bradders: he played 60mins up at sheffield & look sharp.in fact olly praised him afterwards.so i dont think it was a falling out..probably a fitness thing..and what i'am told monday's game the lad got his head down & played a team game rather then a solo.so hopefully we're see him next tuesday..saturday may be a bit to soon

• September 25, 2014 at 16:19

@Bradders: Most strikers are a little bit stroppy and need to be nurtured a little bit bless em. I have no doubt once he gets a run of games he will start banging em in. Give him a chance IH I don't blame him for being frustrated with lack of game time at least he wants to play and do the wage thief turn out like a lot of previous strikers NOLU WDC!

• September 25, 2014 at 10:22

@Longfield Lion: Too right! We don’t have a striker at the moment knocking in goals so let’s see.

• September 25, 2014 at 10:21

I understand from the rumours McDonald had a hissy fit with the manager and so did not play but now, doing it Ollie's way, he is playing as good as he has ever done in a Millwall shirt and from his comments enjoying his football more. For Gregory to go from being the big fish to a tiddler in a bigger pond must take some time but, although he has not scored, he did seem to me to have the knack of being in the right place. With a couple of goals and a run in the team will be all that he needs, especially with our dire need for a regular goal scorer, BUT it is up to the lad to learn and listen to Ollie Marc and Bomber, then, and only then, could he replicate Vardy's successes.

• September 25, 2014 at 10:35

Given a run he will score goals. The conference is a strong league and the step up we are asking him to make is no-where near as much as was asked of Bomber

• September 25, 2014 at 10:58

The goal is the same size no matter what league your in if he knows how to score then good golly mr ollie give him a chance

• September 25, 2014 at 13:01

@bobthelion
      you are wasted on here bob,we should put up for poet of the year award LOL

• September 25, 2014 at 14:09

@jim1222: thanks Jim that's how I feel about some of the things he says and does that's my name for him good golly ollie lol

• September 25, 2014 at 13:43

Really looking forward to LG getting a run in the team. From the games I have seen him play he seems to have a strikers instinct of being in the right place and he chases back and defends too.

The funniest part of last Saturdays game was the ironic cheer Ranegie got when he won a header.

Seems strange that Ranegie gets game time but is not our asset but LG does not.

Still Ollie is closer and it may be part of his motivational skills

• September 25, 2014 at 14:33

Put him on the pitch from the start. Amend his contract to a £1000 a goal bonus , let's see what he's made of !
    Put Chris Eagles on a pay per play offer , see what he's made of too !!

• September 25, 2014 at 15:11

What ever happened between him and IH, let's hope they have put it behind them both and he can start to get a little run in the team cos I can see him start to score some goals for us.

• September 25, 2014 at 15:11

Reading the item above I think he has had a massive ego problem, which obviously didn't go down too well with Ollie. I can't say I was impressed when I saw him play, poor touch, and this may have been the case in training. Add that to sulks, then voila!!!!

• September 25, 2014 at 15:44

@beedoscores: I agree when I've seen him play his touch ain't been to great and yeah he may have had a ego when he came in, as he was banging 30 goals a season and he may have thought he was gonna start every game, but hey let's wipe the slate clean give him some game time and see what this fella can do hey, we did pay £250,000 for him at the end of the day.

• September 25, 2014 at 17:03

We had exactly the same problem @Halifax when he came NA gave him the same treatment and he came good he will for you

• September 25, 2014 at 17:25

@Steve Lanzarote: i think he replaced Vardy who only 3 years ago played in the lower leagues for halifax..he did'nt do a bad job against utd .if he can step up &play well in the 2 top leagues theres hope for us yet.

• September 25, 2014 at 18:01

In Halifax he is regarded as better than Jamie at the same stage

• September 25, 2014 at 18:13

His time will come, he will get an opportunity sooner or later. It's then up to him to take it, although once he gets a game I would like to see him get a decent run of games.

• September 26, 2014 at 07:41

That's right James vardy played for Halifax and look at him now, he was man of the match againest man utd the other day, but you only get better if you play games, so put him in IH and see what he can do in a full 90 minutes not just 10 minutes.

• September 26, 2014 at 09:09

He may not be in the side but I heard that all our wiring problems have been sorted and all the bulbs changed in the floodlights!

• September 26, 2014 at 10:58

@AireLys: will we be getting a LG screen? Lol.

• September 26, 2014 at 20:06

Millwall should be called the comediens with all the cimics on here

• April 10, 2017 at 20:46

It’s actually a nice and helpful piece of info. I’m happy that you just shared this useful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.