bestkinky

Millwall manager to replace injured Edwards from within

CARLOS Edwards' injury will give someone else a chance to make Millwall's right-back berth their own, boss Ian Holloway has said.

Edwards, who saw a specialist yesterday after damaging two knee ligaments and rupturing his hamstring muscle against Nottingham Forest, is expected to miss the rest of the season.

But Holloway is not rushing to source a replacement in the emergency loan market and will instead promote from within his own squad.

Providing an update on Edwards' injury, Holloway said: "He'll be out for a minimum of nine months – but it will probably be 12 months. It was a freak injury.

"The joint itself is as good as anybody's. There is no reason why the operation won't work.

"He's a very intelligent and fit boy and he's very dedicated. There's no reason why he can't get back playing. Everybody is gutted for him because he's made a big difference.

"He's a big part of the squad and very popular here."

Turning his attention to possible replacements, Holloway said: "Justin Hoyte, Jimmy Abdou, Josh Siafa and Sid Nelson can all play right back.

"I could possibly move Richard Chaplow there as well and Angel Martinez might be able to play there too.

"When you have an injury, someone else is going to get a chance to play.

"Hoyte has lost a lot of weight and his training times are a lot better.

"The reason he hasn't been involved is because he was getting his weight and times back down and I felt other people were playing better than him.

"I thought he looked a little bit off it against Southampton but he'll have a chance now – because as he keeps saying to me, he'll get fit by playing games.

"Abdou was playing very well in midfield so I don't know what I'll do with him. I was really surprised by how well he did against Forest – against one of the best wingers in the division.

"One of his headers at the far post was as good as any full back I've seen.

"That's normally what goes wrong – you get disorientated and lose track of where you are, and they score a header, but Jimmy got that spot on.

"Carlos is unique because he's a winger playing full back and that gives us an edge.

"When I brought Seamus Coleman on loan to Blackpool, he helped us get promtoed so it's important that I get that sort of thing from my full backs.

"I don't want to muck about with Alan Dunne. I made that mistake against Reading when I moved him to right back – he doesn't play right back in the way I want him to.

"I like Dunney at centre half so I won't be moving him, I can tell you that now."

19 thoughts on “Millwall manager to replace injured Edwards from within

• September 24, 2014 at 13:36

Olly you started your list well then it just got silly

• September 24, 2014 at 13:45

he started it with Justin Hoyte! hardly started it well

• September 24, 2014 at 13:57

@Jim28: Hi Jim28, it's NOT getting any better, got our away tickets for Huddersfield Town & Derby County, but, if this Team get the 'Losing Habit' , it will Only be Home - Games for a few of us! ( NOLU, WDC ).

• September 24, 2014 at 15:02

@BUSHWACKER14: we'll have our 500 solid away fans..always have.NOLU..NTO

• September 24, 2014 at 15:20

@Jim28: See you and the 'Usual's there then! ( What's happened to all the 'Powder - Puff's ) LOL. ( NOLU,WDC ).I was hoping to get some 'Dis- likes' ...........ha, ha, ha.

• September 26, 2014 at 11:59

@BUSHWACKER14: Told the 'Like' followers not Vote for a few days on another site, wanted to see just how many PP's we have to press their 'Dis - Like' buttons! ( looks like half a dozen or so, they will have to go on a New Recruitment Drive, LOL ! ). NOLU, WDC .

• September 24, 2014 at 13:58

Pretty please with a cherry on top not Hoyte. It has taken him a year to get as fit as he is and he is still off the mark, very unprofessional. To say he had a bad day at the office against Southampton is very generous me thinks. Jimmy, Siaffa or Nelson would be my choice in that order. I normally try not to s*** our players off but if they don't wear the shirt with pride it pxsses me off it is an honour to wear it and should be earned NOLU WDC!!

• September 24, 2014 at 14:26

Jimmy was outstanding and upson dont much it up by changing it around 3 points on is way

• September 24, 2014 at 14:59

I would now like to get a settled team, we have played OK in the last three matches despite the results Jimmy played really well at full back against probably the best winger in the division, bring in Bailey or Martinez and keep the team the same as Saturday either before or after the subs but possibly starting with Fuller and bringing on Ranegie.

• September 24, 2014 at 15:15

@lennie the lion: the spurs kid done well when was here.love dunny & jim but RBs they aint.

• September 24, 2014 at 16:47

If HOYTE says he will get fitter by playing matches, why haven't we put him out on loan??

• September 24, 2014 at 17:00

OLLIE says that HOYTE has lost a lot of weight. So how come he had a lot of weight to lose then. He's a professional footballer earning several thousand pounds a week, and then we pay to watch him.he is a disgrace and I can't see for the life of me why we gave that a contract.

• September 24, 2014 at 19:00

@bordersarebest0170: My sentiment exactly I think I would rather see Rodney Trotter there than Hoyte.

• September 24, 2014 at 20:19

@bordersarebest0170: he's an unprofessional footballer. If the club have any sense they will get rid asap.

• September 24, 2014 at 18:06

Stick Abdou in there.

• September 24, 2014 at 18:25

I wouldn't even have Hoyte on the subs bench. Let him play for the reserves, get something out of him whilst he takes the money and then close the door firmly behind him when his contract is up.
    For the right back position, we have options and for me that does not include Hoyte.

• September 24, 2014 at 20:32

"But apart from the horrible, traumatic injury that Carlos has suffered, the surgeon is very pleased with his knee."

Carlos will be thrilled........

• September 25, 2014 at 01:29

what i cannot understand about the Hoyte situation is he has been with us for about a year and he is still over weight,still not as fit as he should be,so is it the millwall coaching staff that are at fault or is Hoyte eating the wrong food and not doing what he should be doing to get fit.
    If the coaching staff are at fault,by not training him properly then we have to pay his wages,but if he is at fault then surly he is in breach of contract and we should tear up his contract and tell him where to go,after all this has been going on since IH left him behind last year when we went to portugal.
    By the way bushwacker powder puff 1 is still here,so love and kisses to you.