bestkinky

I got it wrong, says Millwall boss ahead of Reading clash

IAN Holloway believes his half-time substitution during Saturday's 2-0 defeat to Ipswich Town contributed to Millwall's flat display.

The Lions manager withdrew holding midfielder Jack Powell and brought on winger Magaye Gueye, with Martyn Woolford moving into a central position in the middle of the park.

But, speaking ahead of tonight's Championship clash at Reading, Holloway admitted his side got "progressively worse and worse" after he made that change.

He said: "I made a mistake at half time. I should have changed Ed Upson for Powell, rather than move Woolford, who was dealing with Tyrone Mings. I just got it wrong.

"I put Magaye on to give us a pass because we were that close to being half-decent, but Mings came more into the game. I've looked back at it because I always buy neurontin analyse what I do.

"Woolford was dealing with Mings for me and I could always have put Magaye on later in the game. I've realised that watching the game back."

Despite recognising his error, Holloway felt Millwall's players were still lacking their usual intensity and aggression.

"We've stopped doing what we were really good at which was pressing, closing down and getting organised," he said.

"Their two banks of four out-did ours in the second half.

"Progressively I felt we got worse and worse, but let's learn from it and move onto the next one.

"Our second-best chance came from us winning the ball back from their throw-in, Mathias Ranegie played in Woolford but we didn't score.

"Their best chance came from them winning the ball back from our throw-in, and they scored. That's how tight it was."

31 thoughts on “I got it wrong, says Millwall boss ahead of Reading clash

• September 16, 2014 at 10:03

The only thing you are getting wrong at the moment Ollie is not getting a goalscorer/s in.
    I posted earlier that we had scored 3 goals or more ONCE in the last 85 League games ???
    Until this is corrected we will continue to find it hard to do anything but struggle in this League.

• September 16, 2014 at 12:30

@Longfield Lion: I know we all go on about getting a decent striker, but if the ones we are playing don't get the service, it doesn't surprise me that they aren't scoring. As someone posted a while ago, ollie is setting the team up to play more like Chelsea last season, with goals coming more from midfield. And as ollie has stated, our front men aren't getting the ball enough in the final third to create assists let alone score. We need to have patience, accept what we have, and get behind what we've got

• September 16, 2014 at 10:04

Lets not make it two out of two then Ollie and get it right for tonight

• September 16, 2014 at 10:08

@Davey: Yep and on that basis he's probably going to start with Williams and Upson in midfield. I'm thinking he might also start with Fuller for tonight then make a sub second half if needed.

• September 16, 2014 at 11:08

@NICKOLA: Williams and Upson is a very decent midfield, unbelievable to think that we have both Abdou (new and improved), Bailey, Powell and Martinez waiting in the wings for those positions. That is strength in depth!

• September 16, 2014 at 10:32

I always respect and like to see a person who can hold their hands up.
    Let's hope we put it right tonight.
    I have a feeling we will get a good result.
    Hope I'm right.

• September 16, 2014 at 11:09

@wall2wall: can't ask for more really, everyone makes mistakes and he's big enough to front it up.

• September 16, 2014 at 12:32

@wall2wall: ditto on that wall, but keep in mind reading are lively and we are work on progress. A draw away tonight would be a good result

• September 16, 2014 at 13:56

I'll take a draw all day long.
        @Geooffthelion.

• September 16, 2014 at 14:26

@glyngo: is it though ? We are not @wall2wall: good in midfield and that's why the strikers are not getting the service they need.

• September 16, 2014 at 10:34

We need someone who knows where the goal is,No matter what tactics you do its no good if we don't have a end product,I can not understand what is going on all us supporters can see we need a goal scorer yet Ollie and the board cant see it

• September 16, 2014 at 10:42

Does anyone seriously think that IH and JB are not trying to get a striker that is gonna scores loads of goals? These players cost a fortune we don't have, as every club is looking for this. There are, I am sure, a few undiscovered nuggets out there, but in the meantime we have what we have so lets get off the 'we need a striker' bandwagon, its boring. We get less than 10k crowd per week, have limited attraction to high quality players and probably a wage structure that is prohibitive. I know the 'look at Brentford/Rotherham' comments will come in, and to a certain respect I agree, but if we keep slagging off the players we have, we deserve what we get.

• September 16, 2014 at 10:59

@beedoscores
      Two points that are spot on,1 we only get 10'000 gates on average,last season JB said if we got 12,000 to 13,000 gates he can spend more on player,s,so where are those missing supporters when we need them.
      2. marc bircham has put it on record that some player,s do not want to come to south london,i take that to mean millwall,this has been confirmed in my mind, when IH said he was not used to getting turned down by player,s after failing to get a player he wanted.

• September 16, 2014 at 11:07

@jim1222: there be alot more if so called fans could be bothered to turn up.quite a few on this site are quilty of this.these are the ones you complain the most.

• September 16, 2014 at 11:38

@jim28
            realised you meant who rather than you,hold on a second are we agreeing with each other,people will talk is there some thing going on between us,bushwacker will get jealous
            .LOL

• September 16, 2014 at 12:23

@Jim28: I complain about lack of goals - but I do have a ST - so not guilty. lol

• September 16, 2014 at 11:51

@jim1222: dont worry me & bushwacker14 are still solid..getting lazy sods of there backsides and down the den has always been my stance..

• September 16, 2014 at 11:10

@beedoscores: don't give up on Gregory either, it's early days for him and I liked what I have seen. He just needs some experience at pro level, with us or on loan.

• September 16, 2014 at 11:56

@beedoscores: That's absolutely right beedo. But I'll be boring now and repeat my point that if you don't create openings your strikers are going to have even less chance to score.(Count the chances we have had - not enough; no team takes every chance, so pointing to Easter's miss, say, doesn't answer the point) Yes, of course there are people out there who make their own openings and create chances out of nothing, and they cost fortunes. but in the main you have to supply your strikers, and Woolford, decent player though he is, and Martin, are not scaring defences anywhere near enough, and are certainly not getting crosses in for the likes of Ranegie to do anything with - who by the way is a Swedish international, so I'm assuming not a bad player at all, in the right set-up. Oh for a Christophe Kinet, Anton Otulakowski, or dare I say it, Gordon Hill !

• September 16, 2014 at 10:43

Ollie before you go to reading tonight take our so called strikers over southwark park put two jumpers down as goal posts and get them to try and score some goals, you never know it might work.

• September 16, 2014 at 11:11

@foxy
      Will we have goal line technology to make sure the ball goes in the correct side of the coat,s.

• September 16, 2014 at 11:33

@jim1222: didn't have that in my day jim, but when you scored it was a f@@king long walk to get the ball back.

• September 16, 2014 at 11:41

@foxy
          I know what you mean i played in goal ,a f****** long walk.LOL

• September 16, 2014 at 11:07

We can all see we need a striker!! I think the time has come for mcdonald to b put back up front,he's looking like a proper player again & he's best position is striker! Top scorer at celtic & boro every season he defo knows where the goal is I think he should now b given a proper chance when he's playing well as our main striker!

• September 16, 2014 at 11:16

@LionforLife: shittu & hoyte in the squad for tonight.fred didn't play last night.so could be playing if so put MG up front

• September 16, 2014 at 11:41

@Jim28: shittu and Hoyte played last night

• September 16, 2014 at 11:57

@colin66: yeah mate ..read on the site..someone got to take lg place

• September 16, 2014 at 19:02

Well done ollie
    Done what I asked saturday after the game. Makes me feel like I know what I'm talking about - not that you read my post but thanks all the same -
    Unfortunately tonight poses a completely different threat. Reading are a top six side in this division. They have the structure, finances and support to go up and probably have a minimum requirement to make the play offs yr by yr whereas ipswich are more of a mid table side with a desired top six finish. Like ipswich we can't win for s h I t at reading so I don't expect us to get a result tonight. We bounced back after Rotherham so let's see if we can repeat it tonight.
    can't make tonight so good luck boys and those that do go you know what to do.

• September 16, 2014 at 19:25

Fair play ollie , u held your hands up respect.