bestkinky

Holloway to maximise Millwall squad after Martin blow

IAN Holloway will "give someone else a chance to play" after winger Lee Martin was ruled out for at least a month with knee ligament damage.

Holloway has previously expressed his desire to add another wide player to his squad but said Martin's injury would not hasten his search for reinforcements.

Explaining Martin's injury, the Millwall boss said: "How he did it was just a total accident.

"He went to pass a ball square and it caught his toe, like it does."

The timing of the injury meant that Martin missed a reunion with former club Ipswich on Saturday.

"He was absolutely on fire and relishing it," Holloway added.

"He's probably in the best form of his career and he was thoroughly looking forward to coming back to Ipswich and showing the people here what he can do for us.

"But I don't want to talk about people possibly coming in, I'll give someone else a chance to play. I've got more than enough good lads coming through.

"With the way the game went, I wanted another big one [Ricardo Fuller] but I could've put Fred Onyedinma on because he scored two for the U21s.

"I expected the ones I brought on to make a difference and they almost did."

19 thoughts on “Holloway to maximise Millwall squad after Martin blow

• September 15, 2014 at 09:18

Looks like Fred or Angel to start then.

• September 15, 2014 at 09:28

I find it strange that like last season the large number of training ground injuries continues, what on earth goes on down there, do they play on a newly ploughed field ? I can accept players getting injured during a game but the number of players we lose due to training ground injuries is just not on. As we have seen they are not just out for the odd game but several. It does however always seem to be the usual suspects ie Martin, Bailey and Chaplow.

• September 15, 2014 at 10:51

Haven't seen an 'in Ollie we trust' post for a while.

• September 15, 2014 at 11:29

@lion.ie.says
      'IN OLLIE WE TRUST'
      here you are lion in big letter's is that ok.

• September 16, 2014 at 08:10

@jim1222: fine Jim. Just making a point that the mood seems to have shifted recently. Personally I think 10 points from 15 is a fair return but it's where we go from here that counts.

• September 16, 2014 at 09:46

@lion.ie: you are right lion on both accounts. 10 points out of 15 is a great return for us, but I think the optimism has dipped as people have realised those points came from teams that are struggling. From my point of view, we are a better team than last season, but we haven't yet clicked with ollies tactics yet. Mid table position with a strong last 6 games finish is what I realistically expect. In ollie I do trust, we just need to give the team time to gel

• September 15, 2014 at 11:08

So basically, Martin bottled it against Ipswich

• September 15, 2014 at 11:30

@benzo: Another rubbish post,but then i dont expect anything else from you benzo.

• September 15, 2014 at 12:28

@jim1222: you're a proper bell end mate.

• September 15, 2014 at 12:48

@benzo: I'm with @jim1222 on this one

• September 15, 2014 at 13:06

One win and most start talking about a top 6 finish. One loss and it's all doom and gloom and a relegation fight beckons.
    I agree Holloway needs to address our striker situation and I do trust him to get it right.
    We lost away to Ipswich which was not the greatest shock in the world to me personally.
    I expect us to finish mid table which will be good progress in my book and look to build on it again next season.
    I will not get carried away with a run of wins or defeats either way.
    This is very much a work a progress.
    Rome wasn't built in a day.

• September 15, 2014 at 13:23

Who honestly thought(not hoped) we'd get nine points out of these 3 games!
    Olly you got to wake up and smell the roses,dont promise what you cant deliver 7 points is delusional

• September 15, 2014 at 14:41

As I said on this site before, Xmas is a good indication of where the club is likely to be come May. Having said that it is worrying how we seem to keep getting injured in training. If my memory serves me, that is the third year on the spin that this has been a problem. I was led to believe that Ollies approach was to get them match fit not fit for f@@k all, before a ball is kicked in anger. Just hope injuries are not being cited to cover for a more sinister reason, dressing room rebellion again. Hope I'm way off beam.

• September 16, 2014 at 09:22

@wallchef: You are way off beam. Injuries happen at every club, and can be from very odd situations, like Lee Martin catching his toe. He's now out for 6 weeks. Its a tough stretch of games we are in, so I hope the doom mongers keep calm, (I doubt it though) and like you say, lets see where we are at Xmas.

• September 15, 2014 at 15:54

When a player is injured he is hooked up in the area of the injury and it will scan the problem area,they can then see the injured area on a screen,so you can't fake it,or nothing will show up,so these guys are obviously injured ,nothing more sinister than that.

• September 16, 2014 at 09:08

Let's all spare a thought for Carlisle who have been linked with lomas as their next manager.

• September 16, 2014 at 09:22

@MFC Lion: Oh dear, Conference football for them!!!!