bestkinky

Holloway: I'm facing my "toughest week" as Millwall boss

IAN Holloway claims he is facing his most testing week as Millwall manager.

The Lions play three difficult games in the next ten days against sides tipped to be in the play-off mix come the end of the season.

But after a two-week international break, a rested and rejuvenated Holloway is relishing the challenge ahead.

Millwall, sitting 5th in the table, resume their Championship campaign against Ipswich Town at Portman Road on Saturday.

"I'm really looking forward to the toughest week I've had as a Millwall manager," Holloway told the Southwark News.

"Mick McCarthy's boys away is tough, then we have Reading away and Nottingham Forest at home. Forest could be anything they want to be under a club legend in Stuart Pearce.

"Man-for-man, Forest have one of the strongest squads in the division. I can't imagine many others clubs have spent as much on their squad as Forest have.

"It’s a fantastic week for us to test ourselves."

Despite claiming ten points from their opening five league fixtures, Holloway reckons Millwall must be more consistent in the weeks ahead.

"I felt we needed a break," he said. "It was an exceptionally long pre-season and I was a little bit stressed at the lack of competitive friendlies we played.

"I felt that might have influenced us a little bit but the lads have done really, really well.

"But it's shown a bit because we haven’t been able to manage a 90-minute performance so far, in my opinion.

"I've spoken to the boys about that this week. It's really important that we stay on task and we understand what we need to do when a game changes.

"We've already experienced a couple of situations like that. At the end of last season the boys stayed on task and had more consistent 90 minutes than at the moment.

"Hopefully that's something we'll grow into. I was disappointed with the last 20 minutes of the Blackpool game because we almost threw it away.

"In fairness, it's nice to get three points and then look at things and be a bit critical. I think the break has done us good."

29 thoughts on “Holloway: I'm facing my "toughest week" as Millwall boss

• September 11, 2014 at 14:46

Got to be careful with the pictures that go with the post Aldo.
    This one will get twisted into "Nazi salute by nasty Millwall boss"

• September 11, 2014 at 15:02

@brooker: Thankfully that won't happen.

• September 11, 2014 at 15:10

To me, the cover picture looks more like he's trying to stop a bus than doing an Adolf impression......

• September 11, 2014 at 15:24

@Lord Piggy: Maybe he's just spotted his good friend Paolo Di Canio?

• September 11, 2014 at 15:17

maybe he is dancing,
    "Don't blame it on the sunshine"

• September 11, 2014 at 15:22

The next three games will be a good test, to see how far this football club has come. Points against any of these clubs would be well earned. COYL

• September 11, 2014 at 15:47

yes, back to football
    I'd take 5 points from these 3 games 2 draws away and a home win would be amazing.
    take each game as it comes though and we could get 9 and be top 🙂

• September 11, 2014 at 16:59

'We fear no foe'

There would be no point in staying up last season if we don't relish the challenges that it brings.

3 points keeps it bunched up 4 points OK, 6 Superb.

Go for the wins.

• September 11, 2014 at 17:55

@wongo: Sod that they're all there for the taking we can get all the points we want NOLU WDC

• September 11, 2014 at 17:59

Big fan of Ollie but this interview is nonsense. "I was a little bit stressed at the lack of competitive friendlies we played." - Yet complained about them beforehand, calling them pointless and a nuisance. Also don't get how this is his biggest week (so far) considering the dire straits we were in late March/early April.

• September 11, 2014 at 19:03

@harryfabian: I like your comment because the exact same thing went through my mind. I don't think IH is a hypocrite, but rather deliberately says a load of nonsense to confuse, raise or lower stakes to his desire. Team selections against logic and keeping us wondering and guessing with signings is all part of his smoke screen and sometimes it works out, other times not, but on average it does. The lack of friendlies was probably deliberate in my mind.

The comment, for example, about keeping us up last season being his "greatest ever achievement" was bullpats considering he got Blackpool to the top flight; he just wants to get into our hearts. Read or listen to him seriously seems pretty pointless.

I like the unpredictability and the man; maybe this is why he got two small/medium club to the top flight.

• September 11, 2014 at 20:20

@harryfabian: harry i think the key word is competitive,we dont seem to get decent teams to play against,perhaps ollie dont see dartford as competitive.

• September 11, 2014 at 19:19

Its hard to know what IH is on about half the time but if he gets results and keeps us up or gets us in the play-offs we will all be happy. Just enjoy the ride and hope for the best. Millwall and its great supporters will always be there no matter who is in charge. Its not just a club its a special club and a way of life for me I would follow Millwall if they were in the Rymans league with the same pride I always have.

• September 11, 2014 at 20:16

To be honest i would take three draws from these games,but hopfully we can get at least one win and two draws,but if i could take three draws i would bite the hand off who ever offered .

• September 11, 2014 at 20:49

@jim1222:to the people who hit the dislike button why not post your reasons why you dislike a particular post,could make things a lot more interesting.
      I know some of you do, so this post is not directed at you.

• September 11, 2014 at 21:10

@jim1222: ignore the dislikes unless you get more than 2-3 Jim, the first couple are just jokers.

• September 11, 2014 at 21:37

@glyngo: @jim1222: I thought the dislikes didn't bother you, they must do. Get over it ffs

• September 12, 2014 at 15:49

@LETEMCOME: you read to much into what i say ,let me assure you i dont give a monkey about dislikes im more interested in hearing peoples views,so dont fret over me i can look after myself.
          So your post is way off line as i have nothing to get over.

• September 11, 2014 at 21:57

@jim1222: Very good point Jim but they wont explain themselves because they only dislike a post because of who wrote it and not whats been written. They must follow the messiah or else.

• September 12, 2014 at 15:52

@Eightieswall: Seems like you and me are disliked by a lot of people LOL

• September 11, 2014 at 20:57

I want 9 points why should we settle for anything less & iam sure Ollie wants em as well.

• September 11, 2014 at 23:41

@block 28: i agree...settle for 3pts is jim on drugs.if you look at the table settling for the low amount is like wanting to battle against relegation

• September 11, 2014 at 21:47

I am confident that we will beat Ipswich they are not playing well, A point at reading and against forest is achievable. Cant wait for saturday and 1100 away fans by the looks of it.

• September 11, 2014 at 21:49

Great challenge then is this next block of games, at least it,l give a clear picture of where things are at. Seems like is been a very honest start to the season and heeps to build on. Good luck to the travellers , bring home the points and empty the bars.

• September 11, 2014 at 21:57

If Raniege can finish we have a good chance of doing well in the next few games, also Martinez could be key with a pass that can unlock a defence and that bit of creativity which we lack at times, keep Powell in aswell and give Gregory a go with Raniege up top.

• September 12, 2014 at 00:50

With shifts I can't get to thr den before the wolves game. If we can get 6 points from this months fixtures I will be over the moon. The boys Holloway has signed give me every reason to feel confident. We have been through the pain. Think forward and back, the team of 1972, the team of 1988, can Holloway repeat? I think he can!!!!