bestkinky

Holloway: Break has given Millwall squad time to regroup

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

THE international break has given Millwall time to regroup, Ian Holloway has said.

Two weeks without a game has allowed the Lions' injured players to recover – and the likes of new signing Mathias Ranegie have now settled in.

Midfielder Ed Upson, who had been nursing a hamstring strain, has been able to train fully and played 90 minutes for the U21s on Monday.

Nicky Bailey (calf) and Sid Nelson (ankle) have also stepped up their rehabs.

"Nicky is back out on the grass with the physio – and so is Sid," Holloway said.

"That was nice for me to see on Tuesday. I like the fact we've had two weeks to work them hard but also give the players a bit of time off. They're looking really sharp.

"Ranegie has had some time with the squad and I really do like the look of him – he scored two in a training game this week. Ranegie doesn't miss a header – he's fantastic in the air.

"He understands what we're montauk-monster.com/pharmacy/klonopin looking for from him.

"I've added Angel Martinez, who knows how I work, so we've got some stiff competition now. It's exciting."

Despite Millwall's impressive start to the season, Holloway insists he won't hesitate to make changes to his starting XI.

"The likes of Angel, Jack Powell coming through and young Fred Onyedinma, who scored two brilliant goals for the U21s, will all be in my thoughts," he added.

"If I change things and someone doesn't like it, then tough. I've got to do what’s right for the team.

"I guarantee I'll pick the players who are in form and doing what I want – the others will have to take it in the right way or they won't be with me.

"Some of the kids are doing so well that if I can loan out some of the senior ones, I might do that.

"If Powell can come in out of nowhere and do as well as he's done, who's to say that Sid Nelson, Fred or Aiden O’Brien can't do that?"

20 thoughts on “Holloway: Break has given Millwall squad time to regroup

• September 10, 2014 at 12:16

Absolutely buzzing! Millllllllllllllllllll

• September 10, 2014 at 12:21

Things have changed so quickly; not long ago I was worried about our midfield when bialy got injured and now I'm wondering if he is gonna make the starting 11

• September 10, 2014 at 12:37

@benzo
      Agree totally.
      Best midfield for a long time.
      That's why it's so important to have strength in depth and genuine competition for places.
      It can only benefit the team.

• September 10, 2014 at 12:24

So great to hear of young players coming on! Well done Jack and Fred here is to you coming through the ranks and being a major part of the future success of this team. Got to love Holloway he's totally changed the atmosphere around the Club – Onwards and Upwards!!!

• September 10, 2014 at 20:07

@TURBO_COYL: @TURBO_COYL:
      Spot on Turbo, I can't wait to get off the train at Ipswich on Saturday. I hope we spank that Yorkshire Pudding-faced McCarthy's mob. We are going up!!!!!!!!

• September 10, 2014 at 12:28

I don't think we have ever had this good when it comes to strength and depth in the squad. Looking forward to seeing young Powell again and will be very interesting to see who starts once Bailey and Upson are fit again.

I just hope Ranegie starts putting the ball in the onion bag, I still feel we are a little lightweight up front. Angel will give us that extra creative edge but would be no use if we can't score. Overall very pleased though, onwards and upwards..bring on the Tractor s**ts! COYL!!

• September 10, 2014 at 12:29

Sid Upson?
    Sounds like some hybrid cloning has been going on.
    Looking forward to seeing the results.
    All joking aside I think the International break came at a good time too.
    Another 4 weeks of good results before the next break would be more than good.
    Up the Wall.

• September 10, 2014 at 12:43

Good job there's a international break.cos i dont know how the players would get through the season.

• September 10, 2014 at 12:50

No more talk of tiredness then ?

• September 10, 2014 at 13:46

Are we looking a bit overpopulated with midfielders? One of our problems last season was too many snr pro's and we are very close to replicating that if we ain't careful. I agree that loaning a couple out to make space for youngsters is a good idea.

• September 10, 2014 at 15:55

@GLYNGO: yeah I know what you mean about too many senior midfielders but when you think Bailey & CHAPLOW are two of them we need plenty of cover cos they are both showing serious signes of being injury prone. Jimmy gets selected as and when req,UPSON seems ok, as does MCDONALD . ANGEL we don't know much about yet, then there's POWELL ,just a kid, so it's probably about right given the medical history(since being here) of the first two.

• September 10, 2014 at 17:00

@bordersarebest0170: jimmy was initially put in because of injury to upson..but he has taken full advantage & played some of his best football without losing the tackling we have come to expect..so jimmy imo is now in front of upson

• September 10, 2014 at 18:09

@Jim28: yeah credit where it's due, Jimmy has really improved his passing, the control and desire was always there.

• September 10, 2014 at 18:31

@glyngo: A lot of people are talking about Jimmy, Powell, Upson, Bailly, Mcdonald (who I think has been a revelation in his new role), Angel, but to be honest who thinks any one of them will get ahead of Williams, I sure don't. Along with Dunney he has been our best player so far this season IMO. Not slagging anyone off they've all been brilliant just want to see peoples reactions. NOLU WDC

• September 10, 2014 at 18:16

Wow, Ranegie scored two in training , we could win this league.

• September 10, 2014 at 18:30

So how would you currently rank our midfielders?
    For me it would be in descending order
    Williams
    McDonald
    Martin
    Woolford
    Jimmy
    Martinez
    Powell
    Gueye
    Fred
    Upson
    Bailey
    Chaplow

Looking forward to seeing Martinez but from what I can remember was good at Blackpool and anyone mentioned in the same sentence as Hurlock is worth a go.

The youngsters will be inconsistent.

My concern is the older injury prone players who are on good wages.

No doubt I will change my mind after the next set of games.

It's all positive at the moment but it's such a competitive league so form and confidence is very short term

• September 10, 2014 at 18:36

@wappinglion: Id go with that but I wouldn't include Bailey or Upson as they haven't played enough yet through injury this season I still think Bailey in particular will be very important for us

• September 10, 2014 at 20:23

Yeah,in my earlier post I forgot WILLIAMS but for me total class, first on the team sheet when selecting midfielders . Well done MITCHAMSCAFF for pointing that out