bestkinky

Proving West Ham wrong "satisfying" – Millwall midfielder

JACK Powell has turned his back on West Ham and said: I've proved you wrong.

Powell was released by the Hammers before Millwall snapped him up on a free transfer last year.

And the 20-year-old is already playing first-team football for the Lions – barely a year on from his Upton Park exit.

The midfielder grabbed an assist on his league debut against Blackpool last weekend and his performance was hailed by manager Ian Holloway after the 2-1 win.

Having failed to make the grade with Millwall's biggest rivals, Powell admits forcing his way into the senior ranks at The Den has tasted even sweeter.

"It's satisfying to prove West Ham wrong – even more so because I'm playing for their biggest rival now," he told the Southwark News.

"I didn't come to Millwall to rub it in their faces but it's worked out that way and I couldn't be happier.

"When I was younger I was at West Ham, I was committed to playing for West Ham and I supported West Ham but I've moved on now.

"I play for Millwall, I'm fully committed to Millwall and I support Millwall. I've moved on very quickly from being the person that I was at West Ham to the person I am now for Millwall.

"My family supports Millwall now as well. West Ham is my past and I've put that behind me."

Powell was given a rousing reception by the Den faithful when he was substituted during Saturday's win.

"Coming off to that sort of ovation was unbelievable," he said.

"Obviously I didn't want to come off but there are positives and negatives in every situation and the positive was that I got to experience the atmosphere and feel the appreciation from the fans.

"I was really grateful for that. I don't normally get emotional but the ovation I got was a bit overwhelming, knowing that all of my family were there. It was crazy.

"It was the sort of thing you dream of as a young player wanting to play competitive football. It was a great feeling."

41 thoughts on “Proving West Ham wrong "satisfying" – Millwall midfielder

• September 4, 2014 at 09:38

Some things are better left unsaid !

• September 4, 2014 at 09:48

@thecolumbusblock: Exactly what I was thinking, half of our fans probably didn't even know about the west ham connection.

I couldn't give a Sh/t mind

• September 4, 2014 at 09:40

Well done Jack and keep up the good work, you have a very bright future.

• September 4, 2014 at 10:40

@Sealion: get used to it son , you keep it up & there will be plenty more ovations C O Y L

• September 4, 2014 at 09:46

Top marks to jack.following in the same footsteps as arry boy & burnett who also came when young & soon became den favorites..as you almost certainly will.if not already.

• September 4, 2014 at 10:10

Do you lot think west ham were devastated when they got teddy sherringham? No, I'd say they were p****** their pants laughing how he was ex millwall player, mugging us off.

He's here now and his mugging them off. Let em say what he wants. MIIIIIIIIllllLLLLLLL.

• September 4, 2014 at 10:22

Good luck jack playing for the best team you will ever play for, But did I read somewhere your family supported s*** ham? How do they just change and support millwall f@@k if I could if one of my boys played for them mugs, or did I read it all wrong.

• September 4, 2014 at 13:56

@foxy: its a miracle.its a miracle.i've been healed

• September 4, 2014 at 14:19

Poor lad really needed to put a filter on his gob before letting that one slip! Probably taken tips from the mental one lol

• September 4, 2014 at 16:28

@Jim28: sorry jim but your post as gone right over me head, you lost me there.

• September 4, 2014 at 15:47

@foxy: yeh I'm not buying that his whole west ham supporting family now support Millwall.

If you were to move on to palace are you all suddenly going to be palace fans?

Putting that b******* to one side, an excellent performance on sat. Stick to playing football and less interviews.

• September 4, 2014 at 10:28

Not sure I like that attitude. So if you get sold to a team like west brom, you'll support west brom now? I'd rather him just say I'm west ham through and through but will put 100% for millwall. Just looks as if he has no loyalties really. Anyway who cares. As long as he does the biz im happy

• September 4, 2014 at 12:26

@bermondsey2bromley: Spot on mate,If he ends up at spurs or chelsea in a few years he will telling everyone its his boyhood club and a dream come true etc,etc. He is a great talent and as long as he plays for us i dont care who he supports.

• September 4, 2014 at 10:30

Keep rubbing the're fuking vermin faces in it & your be alright with wall fans.

• September 4, 2014 at 11:18

Definitely had a couple of good games for the 1st team but don't get ahead of yourself Powell.
    Forget what's happened in the past and focus on what you can achieve in the future. Do that and I'm sure good things happen.

• September 4, 2014 at 11:18

Composed, talented and young, enough about me though, Powell did very well.

• September 4, 2014 at 12:57

Don't worry jack,i'm sure we all have things we are deeply ashamed of in our past(although i am struggling to think of anything worse,chicken molesting perhaps?)The main thing is you have repented for your sins,big sam obviously doesn't want footballers with composure and passing ability,just people who can hoof a ball to a 7ft lump if meat upfront,leaving that place will be the best thing that ever happened to you.

• September 4, 2014 at 13:08

And I thought Kellie Maloney was brave for coming out to the world; and now this!!!! Jack, keep doing the business for The Lions and I'm sure we can get through this between us!!!

• September 4, 2014 at 14:10

HE KEPT THAT QUIET!!!WHAT IF HE HAD A TERRIBLE GAME??GOOD LUCK TO HIM.

• September 4, 2014 at 15:50

@millwallmark: after the lomas fiasco he wouldn't dare have a bad game! 😉

• September 4, 2014 at 14:37

Every team is full of players that grew up supporting other teams, thats just the way it is. If he keeps playing the way he has, we will forget about the fact that he comes from the scummy side of town. Wear our shirt with pride and shut the f##k up about them over there.

• September 4, 2014 at 14:44

He's one of our own
    He's one of our own
    Jackie Powell he's one of our own

• September 4, 2014 at 16:33

@delboy2525@btinternet.com: there are quite a few(me included).that knew his close ties to the vermin.but know one wanted to come out & say so.The simple reason being is that(1 postee as pointed it out).when the lad as a bad game a lot of fan
      s will chant vermin scum at him..so it would
      have been prudent not to mention his close
      ties with the scum..before you get on my case i wont be one of them.

• September 6, 2014 at 22:19

@Jim28: Am I in a minority of 2 with Jim? I thought everyone knew about his background (we signed him from the vermin ffs and we all have access to the internet) Can't believe how many uninformed divs are on here. Think I will get back to HoF where most of the posters are informed but where they aren't at least their posts are funny/entertaining. Good luck to the kid and I only hope that, if he has a poor game, some of you soppy c***s on here don't get on his back. That's all we need - alienating one of the most talented youngsters in our squad.

• September 4, 2014 at 18:10

does seem a bit weird he can change his allegience completly like that. i find it hard to believe

• September 4, 2014 at 18:12

does seem a bit weird he can change his allegience completly like that.

• September 4, 2014 at 19:00

Don't care where you came from or who you supported as a kid, just want you to do well at MILLWALL. We give some banter but all the fans went is 100% commitment when you put on the shirt. As long as you're here I'm behind you, play well and you'll be a legend for life.

• September 4, 2014 at 19:02

Don't care where you came from or who you supported as a kid, just want you to do well at MILLWALL. We give some banter but all the fans went is 100 percent commitment when you put on the shirt. As long as you're here I'm behind you, play well and you'll be a legend for life.

• September 4, 2014 at 20:14

Powell: It is great that you and your family want you to have an amazing footballing career and will support you and the team you are playing for. However, it is ALSO OK to continue you and your families traditions, providing you always give 100% to the team you play for. There really is no need to bu.l;lshit your way out of having a Wet Spam connection. Just do your best for us and just be honest.

• September 6, 2014 at 22:41

@SE14: So, now that he and his family state that they are p****d off with WH for treating him like a c**t and are really grateful to Millwall for recognising his talent and giving him a chance and that he and his family will get behind us 100% accordingly, you're saying he is a liar? None of his family are dyed in the wool WH and have never had a season ticket amongst them in their lives. They only went because their boy played for them. Stop digging the kid out on here and thank your lucky stars that we have a player with REAL potential in our squad. Just watch that pile of s**t on Monday against the Swiss (Lewis Hamiltons homeland - hope the c**t soon crashes and ends up with a Nikki Lauda face) and compare the difference between someone proud to wear a 'Wall shirt as opposed to c***s who look like they consider an England one as a**e paper

• September 4, 2014 at 20:20

That's quality. F*** the vermin. And anyway pretty much everyone knew about the vermin connection so it's good he's said it.

• September 5, 2014 at 00:17

Reading through these comments, why don't we talk football rather than B*****! So what about West Ham, it bores me to tears. Let the boy say what he want's, as long as he's kicking a ball for Millwall and putting his heart into it , I couldn't give a t*** if he has a west ham tattooed on his forehead.

• September 5, 2014 at 05:10

@Lions88: totally agree

• September 6, 2014 at 15:53

@Lions88: "I couldn't give a t*** if he has a west ham tattooed on his forehead." Just imagine that for a second hahah!

Young talent that needs us Lions to cheer him on. Great post!

• September 5, 2014 at 02:20

I can understand where he's coming from not everyone supports millwall at a young age you go for the better teams but when you feel the atmosphere at millwall you fall in love with the place it's easily done

• September 5, 2014 at 10:50

@thommo87: thommo for better I would have said more fashionable, because who is better than the Wall

• September 5, 2014 at 08:09

I think that most people knew that we had picked him up when west ham let him go but not that he actually supported them when he was younger. Frankly given his age I don't hold it against him. As others have said 'Arry and Dennis Burnett were ex wh and they both went on to be legends. As for him coming out and saying he support us now I don't really know what else he could say. " I still have a soft spot for the vermin?" I don't think so!

• September 5, 2014 at 13:19

Good luck Jack, west who???