bestkinky

Millwall loanee snubbed moves to Romania and Turkey

MATHIAS Ranegie joined Millwall after snubbing big-money moves to Europe.

Ambitious clubs in Turkey and Romania were throwing cash at the striker in a bid to pry him away from England.

But Ranegie, who signed for the Lions on loan from Watford, has told the Southwark News that he has unfinished business in the Championship.

So he had no qualms about turning down a lucrative payday on the continent.

The Swedish frontman said: "Sometimes it's a question of money but I think I've made the right choice.

"I need to give myself a chance to see what I can do in this league.

"I could have gone to a Romanian team who just played a Champions League play-off game or some other clubs abroad.

"The money is quite good in these countries but I don't have to go there right now – I'm not an old player.

"The quality is better here and it's a bigger football scene in England than in Turkey.

"I didn't feel it was right to go somewhere for the money. If the money on offer is good, that's not enough for me. I need more than that.

"If you leave England it's very hard to go back again so I think this was the right decision. I want to stay in England for the rest of my career. This is a perfect move for me."

Ranegie decided to leave Vicarage Road after finding first-team opportunities limited by the prolific form of Troy Deeney, who last week signed a new contract.

“There were no guarantees at Watford and I have come to a club that needs my type of player," he added.

"I need to play more games this season than I did last season and the situation with Deeney wasn't clear – maybe he was going to another club but he chose to stay at Watford.

"I then tried to find a solution.

"I chose Millwall because I like the Championship and English football. I think I've adjusted quite well to the division because Swedish football is physical as well and I'm used to that.

"Watford are a ball-playing team but I think I did well during my time on the pitch last year.

"It was a struggle in the beginning – I had an injury when I first signed for Watford so I did not play much.

"I scored four goals in eight starts but I got sent off and was suspended for three games so it was a little bit up and down.

"I wanted to stay in the Championship and see what I can achieve here."

A string of phone calls from Ian Holloway persuaded the 30-year-old to move to The Den.

And Ranegie was also impressed by Millwall's early-season form.

"It was definitely a consideration that the team started well," he explained.

"The team looked solid, they don't concede many goals and there's a strong dressing room. The players here play for the shirt.

"You always want to play for strong teams and I got that impression here straight away.

"The manager is not like any coach I've had before – in a good way! My coach at Watford had a lot of passion as well but he directed it in a different kind of way.

"I've heard a lot of good things about Holloway – he's not just a funny guy, he's got two teams promoted and he's a big coach in England."

10 thoughts on “Millwall loanee snubbed moves to Romania and Turkey

• September 4, 2014 at 09:18

Just goes to show, success attracts a better class of footballer.

• September 4, 2014 at 09:29

I'm certain you have made the correct choice to join the Lions. ( wait till you hear the super Millwall roar of the supporters behind you on away games, ..... That's Special ! ). NOLU, WDC.

• September 4, 2014 at 09:37

@BUSHWACKER14: according to bradders i'am not allowed to agree with you...f*** him ...i totally agree with you instead.we the best fans behind him he cant go wrong..c.o.y.w

• September 4, 2014 at 09:38

Just do the buissness and your time at millwall will be the best you have tasted

• September 4, 2014 at 10:31

Same as being in Romania and Turkey anyway up the okr

• September 4, 2014 at 11:13

I love Ranegie's spin on this. He could of had a big money move to Romania....REALLY!
    Who the f##k wants to play there football in Romania.
    I don't think he would of been on much more than what he's getting currently, but he is right in that the quality of football played in the championship will be much better than what it is in Romania and Turkey.
    I hope you live up to our expectations. Ollie obviously holds you in high respect.
    You've talk the talk, can you walk the walk.

• September 4, 2014 at 14:52

@Syd the Lion: he would probably have been on more money if he signed with Petrolul or Timosoara. They are top teams out there. Turkey has a lot of money too. But we have the football, we have the fans and we have the best players. Cream of the crop football here

• September 4, 2014 at 11:53

Yeh, he didn't want to be associated with lightweights!! Pulls the big rig into south London and turn left at hard unit city! Wasn't that hard was it! Good on ya buddy, good decision!

• September 4, 2014 at 18:24

Now that is a funny headline.

You are a professional footballer with your family settled in England but given a job up in Turkey or Romania (for f*** sake) is to reflect positively on our club.

I honestly wish this guy all the best but this isn't really a story. We have needed a striker since Wood departed and hopefully he can deliver.

I see this as I was born in south london so I could have supported Palace or Charlton but I chose Millwall. No mate you are lucky to be here like I'm lucky to support this club.

• September 4, 2014 at 18:25

Now that is a funny headline.

Sometimes there is only one choice.