bestkinky

Blackpool favourite Martinez completes Millwall switch

©
©

MILLWALL have signed Spanish midfielder Angel Martinez.

NewsAtDen revealed on Monday that Martinez was flying over from Spain to put pen-to-paper with the Lions after verbally agreeing terms with manager Ian Holloway.

The 28-year-old arrived at the club's training ground this morning and signed a one-year deal, with a 12-month option, after passing a medical.

The former Espanyol trainee, who worked under Holloway at Bloomfield Road, had been a free agent.

He told Millwall's official site: "I have stayed in touch with Ian Holloway since he left Blackpool, and for me he is a special manager.

"We had a great season there when we reached the Championship play-off final at Wembley, and I hope we can have success here too."

76 thoughts on “Blackpool favourite Martinez completes Millwall switch

• September 2, 2014 at 14:09

Good signing I think. Developing a quality midfield with Williams, Bailey, Upson, Powell etc, and with the amount of injuries we get, not too many. Backup with Jimmy etc, and we look solid. Get rid of the hangers on and all will be well.

• September 2, 2014 at 14:11

• September 2, 2014 at 14:55

@conor: Fantastic signing but, tell me if i'm wrong,.....I am worried about too many overseas players, I want my Millwall to have mainly British players otherwise will it still be Our Millwall ? Just a Thought.
        Conor I was born here mate in 1958 in dulwich hospital, my first home was in Ilderton road 200 yards from the old den gates, I have Turkish blood and an English ( MILLWALL ) Heart. I know it may of sounded strange and ironic but I feel that like anything English it is slowly being diluted with so many overseas people/players.

• September 2, 2014 at 15:06

@terry the turk lion: I was only messin with you mate! I'd agree with what you saying in terms of Premier League Football with clubs like Man U Chelsea and Man C! if only they invested their money into their youth development squad England may have decent squad for once! Oversea players mess up the youth department, but by the looks of it we have a banging youth department! a few foreign players here and there won't do any harm

• September 2, 2014 at 15:20

@conor:
            Thats ok mate, with prem teams having foreign managers and more foreign players than English , England football team will continue to be S..T for many years to come because of this. Why would any foreign Manager care whether England does well in any competition or not ? Why should they ? They are getting well paid by multi billionares that treat Football like a tiny sideline unlike our chairman who genuinely seems to care what happens to us....I gotta shut up now cos my Blood Pressure is making me sweat.

• September 2, 2014 at 14:43

@terry the turk lion:

Why would a player from the Isle of Skye be any more Millwall than
      a player from Arcos de la Frontera? Just curious.
      I am happy just to have players that can play a bit and be committed,
      regardless of where they are from.
      Olly seems to have the commitment of players at the moment,
      and is working on getting them playing.

• September 2, 2014 at 14:43

@terry the turk lion: A Lion is a Lion. Put the shirt on a boy and we will support him. I reckon on a top ten finish. There are a lot of young players out there who can't get a club. This is where our scouting team should be looking. Let be patient and see what develops over the next 18 months. Wev'e got some good youngsters comming through. I'm a Holloway fan. TRUST!!.

• September 2, 2014 at 14:49

@terry the turk lion: I know terry, I would just hate to have a team like Chelsea!!!!!! Imagine all those games we might win! A terrible state of affairs

• September 2, 2014 at 15:01

@Geoff the lion: Yeah ............sorry just how I feel but I have never slagged off any player that gives it all even if they played for palarse or west sham, once they wear our shirt and sweat blood they become family.

• September 2, 2014 at 15:08

@terry the turk lion: actually mate I do get your point. What a dream it would be to have an English team at millwall, and that same team were the England team. If only we had the money behind us like man city. What a project that would be cos we would never need to sell our best players

• September 2, 2014 at 15:47

@Geoff the lion: even better geoff they all come from bermondsey.

• September 4, 2014 at 16:36

@Geoff the lion: so are all the dislikes saying they wouldn't like a team like Chelsea??? F####n idiots

• September 2, 2014 at 17:09

Football is well and truly f***** up in this country. I thought everyone knew that...where have you been hiding?

• September 2, 2014 at 19:16

@terry the turk lion: Personally I don't care where your from, as long as you follow the lions that's good enough for me mate everyone else can like/dislike don't care its my opinion. Same goes for the players I don't care where they have played before as long as they give their all for the badge that'll do for me. If they don't give their 100% commitment they can jog on. People forget this club was founded by Scottish dockers on the isle of dogs a long time ago and we wouldn't be here supporting this great club without them. We have had a lot of Irish in particular and other great foreign players. Yes I would like to see more English players but we have to roll with the times. NOLU WDC!!

• September 3, 2014 at 08:14

@terry the turk lion: I am with you 100% mate. I hate the prospect of a predominantly non English team.

• September 2, 2014 at 14:27

I'm well chuffed to have him here.
    He obviously loves playing for Holloway and that can only be a good thing for us.
    Another piece in a complex puzzle that is slowly coming together even though it's not finished.
    Welcome to Millwall Martinez.
    Roll on Ipswich.

• September 2, 2014 at 18:31

@wall2wall: Sounds like a very good addition - also liked what Ollie said about him being his 1st choice on the team sheet at blackpool... To me that says that he's a hard worker, communicates well and is already used to understanding Ollies ideas and putting them into action.... Hopefully this all adds up to him hitting the ground running!
      Welcome to Millwall Angel!

• September 2, 2014 at 19:06

@wall2wall: Just watched the Angel interview on Lions player and got to say he talks a good game - he seems very switched on - and has ideas on how to enhance what we do - playing Ollies more Spanish style of football.
      Doesn't sound like his fitness will be an issue either, as he was saying he had a short break after the season - but then got straight back into training with his hometown club and had a full pre season with them. He also said "I am calm and confident - because I'm totally fit and ready to play"..... I like him already! COYL!!

• September 2, 2014 at 19:52

@Luke ColdBlow10:
        Cheers for that Luke.
        And to think we looked destined for league 1 in April to most and we are now 5th in the Championship with 10 points from 15 and signing quality like Martinez.
        It's easy to forget how we could all be feeling so different right now.
        Happy days in my world.

• September 2, 2014 at 14:36

What sort of role does he play in midfield? Similar to Upson?

• September 2, 2014 at 14:38

He'll fit right in with all the other midfielders!!!

All jokes a side very good signing!

• September 2, 2014 at 14:40

Half the team are non British (Republic of Ireland) and the rest come from Yorkshire LOL

Do I care? No, not really, we hardly going to become full of overseas players epically with the homegrown talent we've got emerging. Angel is supposed to be a top player so he'll do fine, as long as they wear the Lions shirt and perform they'll have my support

Onwards and upwards now all we need is a 15/20 goal striker Ollie and we will be ROARING !!!!!!

• September 2, 2014 at 14:42

Ultimately a good signing adding to a very useful midfield already but I have to ask the same old question that no striker has scored for us this season and surely our transfer priority must be a proven striker. We have Gregory, Easter, Gueye, O'Brien etc listed as strikers but are not played. I dare say I shall get a lot of dislikes for this but we need to play 4-4-2 at least at home and Gregory needs a good run in starting 11.

• September 2, 2014 at 14:55

@Bolland: no dislikes from me bolland. Like ollies tactics but if you play a lone striker, he needs to be the mutts nuts. I would play 4-4-2 or 3-4-1-2 until someone like Gregory or rane are developed enough

• September 2, 2014 at 15:02

@Bolland: all our goals will be from midfield, think Chelsea last season.

Then next season we will get our Costa and win the league!

• September 3, 2014 at 09:57

@MFC Lion: the only costa we are likely to get is a coffee lol,

• September 2, 2014 at 14:47

When asked what made him choose Millwall he said he watched our back 4 for most of last season and he also likes to have a siesta about 3 oclock on a Saturday . ( lets hope not )
    Welcome to Millwall Angel

• September 2, 2014 at 14:54

Turk lion one name for you jimmy abdou the guy personifies the Millwall spirit and is from the Faroe Islands and is their captain. His son had leukaemia he went and see him on the Friday was back at the den on the Saturday. Doesnt matter where there from its what they do that counts

• September 2, 2014 at 15:04

@spartacus: jimmys from the Comoros Islands

• September 2, 2014 at 15:09

Sorry mate should of read plays for Comoros he was born in France

• September 2, 2014 at 15:09

@spartacus:
      You are right, I love Jimmy Abdou he has proven his worth and and loyalty to us over and over, all I am saying is that I do not want our Team to be full of ( QUOTING SIR ALAN SUGAR,) Calos kikabals but Youre right, if they do it for us ..great.

• September 2, 2014 at 14:55

• September 2, 2014 at 15:23

@terry the turk lion: its not just your opinion..the FA have been saying this for years.so i cant why fans are having a dig..not long ago fans on here was having a go at watford .

• September 3, 2014 at 10:07

@Jim28: I don't think people disagree jim, it would be great to have a quality English team, but it seems more and more unlikely as time goes on. Many clubs don't have academies any more. The premiership teams dictate English growth and they generally don't want to take the chance on English youngsters. Maybe if the TV money was spread better across the lower leagues, the pool of youngsters would be bigger and better

• September 3, 2014 at 10:00

@DebkoX: I've shagged a Turkish bird! Does that make me one of the gang? 🙂

• September 3, 2014 at 16:03

@Geoff the lion:
          no it means that you should get to the nearest clinic cos proper Turkish girls are sweet, honorable and virgins......well some of them.

• September 3, 2014 at 16:10

@terry the turk lion: already done that mate, asked them to take away the pain and keep the swelling lol. Question for you, if all Turkish girls are virgins, it must be pretty empty of people in Turkey

• September 3, 2014 at 16:01

@DebkoX:
        It's good ain't it.....try and keep it quiet otherwise everybody will want some.

• September 2, 2014 at 15:28

Yeah, SPARTACUS , you beat me to it,but I was gonna say the same as you, one of the most liked and respected players we have had in recent years - JIMMY ABDOU, and he's FRENCH, not the most popular nation around here. Historically millwall teams have been made up of a mixture of English ,Irish , Scottish and welsh, with the odd local boys here and there. For me I don't care where they come from,what colour they are, or what religion they are, if they play for millwall they're one of us.

• September 2, 2014 at 16:22

@bordersarebest0170:
      Nobody here has mentioned colour or religion, they don't come into it,it is about players that we can identify with, players that know us and what we expect of them, I don't care if they are green or pray to a flipping toilet seat.

• September 2, 2014 at 22:23

@terry the turk lion: Hi mate, what school did you go to, I went to ilderton rd, and lived on the canal bridge. I'm not after a date by the way, lol.

• September 3, 2014 at 16:39

@caravan1885:
          I left the area to go to the elephant so I never went to school in the area, I went to Victory just off the new kent road, the to robert browning in east street and then to peckham manor.

• September 4, 2014 at 09:16

@caravan1885:
          You may remember Nells Caff on a corner at the oldkent road end of the bridge, that was my aunts place.

• September 2, 2014 at 15:43

The argument about foreign players doesn't really affect clubs, it has serious ramifications on the national side. Clubs are mainly a business, league position and success are farmore important than entertainment. The national team are always going to suffer because of foreign imports, therein lies the problem. Clubs mainly choose experience over youth or local players. The premiership is a victim of its own success, and the sad part , in all of this is that the ineptitude of our national team, and their disgraceful performance in Brazil is symptomatic. And another sad thing is most supporters could not give a t*** whether England qualify or not. Their alliegence lies with the clubs not the country.

• September 2, 2014 at 16:00

Gonna be a good signing! Anymore free agents available?

• September 2, 2014 at 16:15

No takers for Josh Wright! My mates team are always short on Sundays but I'm not sure he'd get in the team over Fat Derek!

• September 3, 2014 at 16:12

@Adsy77777: that's unfair adsy, I've heard fat Derek is a legend lol

• September 2, 2014 at 16:35

I think that he will be an excellent addition . The Blackpool fans speak very highly of him and clearly Ollie can get the best out of him. His Twitter postings are also going to be highly entertaining!

• September 2, 2014 at 17:30

Good luck to the Spaniard. One of our best midfielders in recent years was Australian. Maybe our American chairman will encourage him to come back.

• September 2, 2014 at 17:55

Come on Wall! A decent signing to add to the growing quality of the team - well done. Good business me thinks.

• September 2, 2014 at 17:57

Lets not forget Tim Cahill, a true Legend and he's foreign.
    I don't mind so much, as long as they love the badge of Millwall and give it their all, I couldn't care.

• September 2, 2014 at 18:21

@DebkoX: That's who I meant. Lucas Neill is worth a mention too.

• September 2, 2014 at 18:37

Don't forget Ewe Fuches and Vasali Kolkov. Millwall legends! Lol.

• September 2, 2014 at 18:49

No, we ain't forgot that pair London

• September 2, 2014 at 19:02

Anton...... Ettienne Verveer.....Christophe Kinnet.....Alex Rae, there's been some good foriegners at Millwall

• September 2, 2014 at 20:25

@tonytowneronthewing: TIM CAHILL. Dave Mitchell, Kasey Keller, Tony Cascarino (although more Cockney than Mickey Flanagan) tbh the list goes on.

• September 2, 2014 at 19:10

Thats all we need, another player who wants a siesta at 3 on a Saturday!

Only joking, good signing i reckon

• September 2, 2014 at 19:49

How funny Matt smith (old news I know) turned down his chance to play for the best team in the world to sign a three contract at Leeds to be sold two weeks later to Fulham

• September 2, 2014 at 21:32

Martinez is supposed to be quality.
    Who'll lose his place for him though?

• September 2, 2014 at 21:57

I may get some dislikes for this but am
    I the only one who is gutted that we did not get lucciano becchio on loan rather than that guy from Watford? Proven goal scorer at this level has well. Sorry to change subject

• September 2, 2014 at 22:15

@rob hearn: For me he has always been slow and he is the polar opposite from what IH has stated we are/were after to compliment the other strikers, on top of that he has played next to no competitive football in god knows how long whilst at Norwich? Good to avoid imo.

• September 3, 2014 at 09:03

@JonnyBanks: the main point is why millwall cant compete with clubs such as brentford & rotherham whose attendence's are similar to ours.& if ours dont pick up we will exceed the FFP by £2m..come jan a lot of clubs could find themselfs in boover.

• September 3, 2014 at 09:08

@ROBHEARN: yeah,I wondered about him too, he's always been sharp getting on the end of things in and around the box,certainly had eye for a goal, seems to have stagnated since going to Norwich , we will see how well he does on loan at Rotherham , he's 30 now so needs games.

• September 3, 2014 at 09:52

@:Bordersarebest: yeah this was my point, I mean going to Rotherham, for me defo worth a punt at on loan. I mean we took moro back and ok did not work out but Rotherham surely can't have a higher budget than us???

• September 3, 2014 at 10:28

ROB: unfortunately I think they do have a bigger budget than us, I think they have someone on the board there poking some of his own wealth into the club,never lasts but at the moment with successive promotions they are on a high.

• September 3, 2014 at 10:42

- I don't see how this convo is mostly about where he's from??? He's a good player and a good signing, he could be green and from mars for all I care! All that matters is he's one of us now. Nice signing IH. COLY!!!!

• September 3, 2014 at 11:49

Never heard of him. But welcome anyway. Does anybody know where in midfield does he play.

• September 3, 2014 at 12:34

Here are some top names that are free wish we could afford their wages

• September 3, 2014 at 13:43

Totally irrelevant this, but the top photo looks like Beevers in a Blackpool shirt, yes I know he wouldnt be daft enough to do that. Coyl.