bestkinky

Millwall boss to sanction loan exits for first-team players

IAN Holloway is ready to sanction loan moves for members of Millwall's first-team squad who aren't getting regular game time.

The Lions have already allowed John Marquis to join Cheltenham for a month while Josh Wright has been made available for a short-term deal.

Holloway is also eager for the club's youngsters to play senior football.

The likes of Fred Onyedinma, Aiden O'Brien, Sid Nelson and Jake Goodman could all be sent to the lower leagues to gain more experience.

Asked whether any players would be leaving Millwall on transfer deadline day, Holloway said: "They might do – if clubs want them.

"I've got some really good players and I can't play all of them. They know what I'm going to try to do, especially the young ones.

"I can loan them out but they can still train with me twice a week.

"If I don't give Lee Gregory a game, who's to say I can't loan him out and just get him scoring.

"I don't know yet but I would do that because it's important everybody is on that level. For us to have a magnificent season, everybody has to be up there.

"I want to maximise what we've got and build something. If I'm not going to pick them, I'll tell them to their faces and I'll help them [get a loan] if they have a good attitude.

"If they don't, they can just go. I've got so many people showing me a wonderful attitude at the moment."

Holloway added: "I've loaned John Marquis out because he's not got enough experience. He's been on the fringes for too long and I don't want to do that.

"If I cannot play them, and play them regularly, I'm going to loan them out. I've done that with Paul Robinson.

"Hopefully someone will want them, I'll loan them out and they'll gain experience. I might have to call them back but in the meantime they'll be getting closer to what I want.

"I might even do that with some of my main squad to make sure they keep up."

20 thoughts on “Millwall boss to sanction loan exits for first-team players

• September 1, 2014 at 11:25

I can see Gregory going out on loan, by the look of what Holloway has said maybe Gregory doesn't have a good attitude otherwise he would have played by now.

Holloway clearly gives players who have good attitudes and work ethics a chance, so maybe some doubts over Gregory?

• September 1, 2014 at 11:31

don't loan out Gregory, loan out that lazy c*** Fuller ffs!

• September 1, 2014 at 11:44

@lions404: I'm not being funny but at the start of last season we had a team full of quality players who had sh** attitudes, this year we have a quality team with great attitudes and look where that has got us compared to last season!!

Fuller might look lazy but he obviously gives something to the team otherwise he wouldn't play, I personally think Raneagie will be given a start ahead of Fuller soon but we will see.

• September 1, 2014 at 12:08

@Bradders: he got two assists earlier this season but did you witness his display Saturday ?

• September 1, 2014 at 12:51

@lions404: i was there saturday and he done sod all.loan him out permantly

• September 1, 2014 at 15:00

@Jim28: I agree and was there as well Jim! He done sod all but what he did do was drawing defenders away and creating space for the runners and mainly Scott McDonald which helped us win the game. He is an intelligent player in that respect!

I believe Ranegie will start soon enough and Fuller will be an impact player.

• September 1, 2014 at 14:53

@lions404: so you choose to ignore the assists he managed and focus on his one bad game?!

Glad you're not the manager, players wouldn't stand a chance after one poor performance.

• September 1, 2014 at 18:19

@MFC Lion: Assists are just as important as scoring the goals yourself look at players like Xavi and David Silva not a lot of goals in em but I for one would take their assists all day long. It's still early days so stop worrying! (I'm not comparing Fuller to them, just an example for any clever clogs lol)

• September 1, 2014 at 11:34

I just wish Holloway would be a bit more discreet in his utterings. There's too much room to read between the lines in what he says - if he doesn't want people to speculate on his motives maybe he shouldn't give so many opportunities. From what he's said above it's not surprising that we'll all speculate about what's going on with Gregory.
    But I'm not knocking Holloway - he's a character and seems to be doing very well given our budget, and I suppose this is all part and parcel of what makes him interesting!

• September 1, 2014 at 22:52

@waterloolion: Its the journo's that ask the questions and plenty of them,Speculation keeps sites like this going.

• September 1, 2014 at 11:40

Would rather have a slightly smaller squad and have the likes of Fred, O'Brien and Goodman around the fringes of the matchday squad. We're even looking at signing 2 midfielders today when we already have loads who can't get in the team.

• September 1, 2014 at 12:01

If i was gregory i would have the hump.start of the season a lazy git started as striker..sheffield game was taken of & git game on..then we were told he would play in the cup.only to see marquis in front of him.then olly said he'll be playing sat..didn't happen.now olly's wants to take the easy way out & let someone else sort it out.

• September 1, 2014 at 15:05

@Jim28: What are you talking about Jim haha What if Gregory has a bad attitude or hasn't really given enough in training, would he deserve to start a game or be put on the bench again? Unfortunately we will never know the truth so no point assuming "if" this and "if" that.

• September 1, 2014 at 14:43

Yeah, obviously Holloway doesn't know what he is doing cos we are only fifth in the league!
    FFS get a grip on reality! Last season at this point we were at the bottom of the table.

• September 1, 2014 at 21:33

@junkmale: junkmale when you read what some poster's say,then look at the reality of where we have come from to where we are now,it make's me wonder what they have between their ear's.
      Ollie is a one off, a lot of thing,s i like about him,some thing,s i dont,but with what he has achieved so far
      is ok by me .
      long live ollie
      ps
      keep the common sense post,s coming mate.

• September 1, 2014 at 15:06

My god some of us have got short memories this time last year we were already realising that it was going to be a long season ahead with that plank in charge , look at how far we have come in a relatively short time we have good players coming in and a great blend of youth and experience and a great manager the team want to play for and believe in . As a previous post said we cant afford the top quality strikers or their massive wages so we will have to wait until the right one comes along , I would love to see Gregory start a few games but we need to trust our managers judgement , I see Fuller getting slaughtered on here but he just helped us beat Leeds , Fulham and set up the goal at Hillsborough .
    Please lets not turn in to them FICKLE west spam fans who after 2 wins are talking about Europe and 2 losses wanting to replace the manager that's why they are up and down like a brasses knickers , keep the faith people and beautiful things may just happen ...

• September 1, 2014 at 15:47

Gregory is obviously not impressing Ollie on the training ground and perhaps a loan to somewhere he can get first team football and score goals will help him and us in the long run. Let's be honest we don't know what goes on day to day in training and I'll go with Ollie's judgement on this. A certain striker went on loan to Aldershot once, he came back and ended up one one of the clubs greatest ever goalscorers!!! I'm not saying that Gregory will be the real deal but he obviously needs time to adjust from playing part time three divisions lower.

• September 1, 2014 at 16:18

@North London Lion: I'd say that's a reasonable guess at what might be going on, but as you say, we can't know what does go on day to day. It's a shame that Gregory hasn't hit the floor running but time will tell whether it will work out for him. My feeling is that meanwhile Ranegie will probably get the nod over Fuller, if not immediately, then pretty soon.

• September 1, 2014 at 20:41

We have had a great start to the season. I missed the game on Saturday but was delighted with the result. Fuller may not have had the best game according to some of you but he's a Millwall player and I'm sure he wants to do well. Let's get behind the team and stop bitching about one bad performance. The game before people were out for Macdonald saying he could not
    Control a ball. Well thank goodness he proved some of you wrong. Fuller step up and do the same! We have had the best run in ages and people moan - get behind Holloway, he's the best manager we have had in decades and the squad is looking better every week.