bestkinky

Holloway: Southampton academy second only to Barca's

© Actionplus
© Actionplus

IAN Holloway believes Southampton's famous academy is one of the best in world football, second only to the youth set-up at Barcelona.

The Saints are the visitors to The Den in Tuesday's Capital One Cup second round tie.

Boss Ronald Koeman has promised to name a strong side that is likely to include England U21 international James Ward-Prowse (above).

And he is expected to be joined in the squad by the likes of Lloyd Isgrove, Harrison Reed and Matt Targett.

Koeman is in the midst of rebuilding Southampton's squad after cashing in on five key players this summer, including academy graduates Calum Chambers, Luke Shaw and Adam Lallana.

But Holloway says the south-coast club are overwhelming favourites for tonight's clash.

"I don't care what they do [with their team] because Southampton should beat us whatever I do because they're multi-million Premier League side, end of story," he said.

"Their academy set-up is one of the best in the world, second to Barcelona I would suggest, because look at who they've sold and how much they've made for the club.

"This year has been completely sensational in terms of who they have lost, but they played brilliantly against Liverpool the other week, so good luck to them but not on Tuesday."

Holloway has confirmed he will rest several members of his squad for the match, with young Jack Powell likely to be given a run out in midfield.

And Powell could be joined by a couple of other fresh faces.

"It's all about fitness and not getting injured right now," Holloway said.

"I know who I need and who I need on a regular basis, and really I've got to thicken that soup up a little bit if I can.

"One or two might be stepping in who have been injured. The likelihood of Justin Hoyte playing is good and the likelihood of Richard Chaplow playing is excellent.

"So I'll have a look and see if we can get some more competition going but the great thing is I might put some of our youngsters in there and see if they can really show me."

17 thoughts on “Holloway: Southampton academy second only to Barca's

• August 26, 2014 at 10:49

Good to see you aint lost your sense of humour olly

• August 26, 2014 at 10:51

Chaplow to start? That's him out for another three months then.

• August 26, 2014 at 11:10

@NICKOLA: LOL : yes, you're favourite ' ole Tampax - Chaplow . ( NOLU, WDC ).

• August 26, 2014 at 13:21

@NICKOLA: you're confident, I can't see him getting through the warm up myself.

• August 26, 2014 at 15:01

@MFC Lion: does he know what that is.lol

• August 26, 2014 at 11:06

This is an ideal opportunity to give some of the fringe players and youngsters a go, if we get beat then so be it. Young players will only gain experience in games like these, and as Ollie said it gives others a chance to show if they're up to it. As much as I would like to see us win, Saturday's match against Blackpool is far more important to us.

• August 26, 2014 at 11:19

Forde
    Hoyte. Webster. Shittu. Briggs
    Powell Abdou
    Gueye.
    Fred. Gregory. O'brien

• August 26, 2014 at 11:26

@block 28: Good call. Probably close but would expect Chaplow to start. Shame we haven't got a goalie to step in. That has to be another priority. Forde needs competition.

• August 26, 2014 at 11:43

@NICKOLA
        I am more worried about Forde getting injured in a game like this ,i was his biggest critic last year and would not have been to worried if he had left us last year,
        This season so far he has made me eat my word's,with the form he is in i hope he stay's fit through this season.

• August 26, 2014 at 16:19

@NICKOLA: Go Tampax! All joking aside, pleased to see him back in the team - it sounded like he was making solid progress in pre season and was just getting over some personal problems - then goes and picks up an injury.... sh**ty luck.
        If he can stay fit - he could be a very important player for us - especially at the moment with Upson and Bailey both out - IH needs all the help in midfield he can get.

• August 26, 2014 at 11:28

@block 28: What about Jake Goodman in back four instead of Webster kid needs to be given a chance. Eh

• August 26, 2014 at 11:36

Personally i think webster needs this game more than goodman,
        answer millwallpete

• August 26, 2014 at 12:18

@jim1222: its going to be interesting.what line up is

• August 26, 2014 at 12:29

@millwallpete: Webster needs games and he is ahead of Goodman in the pecking order.

• August 26, 2014 at 14:56

I think Goodman is injured? Good luck tonight Wall, give the kids a run out against one of the best youth set-ups in football

• August 26, 2014 at 21:07

Well if that statement isn't the prelude to the excuses for us losing I don't know what is lol