bestkinky

Exclusive: Holloway backs Millwall duo for Ireland call-ups

MILLWALL manager Ian Holloway is backing Alan Dunne and Shaun Williams to win call ups to the Republic of Ireland squad this season.

Holloway has said the duo can make the step up to international football after Eire boss Martin O'Neill watched the Lions' midweek draw with Sheffield Wednesday.

Both Williams and Dunne were born in Dublin but have never played for their country.

But Holloway said: "Surely they've got to be looking at Dunney? Is there a better defender than Dunney in Ireland at the moment?

"He's a fantastic player – he's in great form, he's my captain and he deserves it."

Like Dunne, Williams has also made a storming start to the new season.

But Holloway reckons the 27-year-old can get even better.

"I think Williams could play for Ireland but it depends what position they are looking for," the Millwall boss added. "Shaun can pass the ball as good as anybody.

"He's a good footballer. I need people who want the ball playing for me. You have got to be ready to pass the ball and Shaun can certainly do that. That's why we bought him.

"He's been in the lower leagues for most of his career but I believe he's improving all the time.

"He's got to play more like a midfielder than a centre half. Nicky Bailey plays like a midfielder doing defensive duties but Willo has been a centre half for the last two years.

"Shaun hit a brilliant pass over the top to Lee Gregory on Tuesday and he needs to do that a bit more.

"He's got a range of passing yet that nobody has seen yet. Part of being a midfielder is creating and I'm expecting him to do that more."

According to reports, O'Neill was impressed by Williams even though he missed a penalty.

But Holloway has revealed that he may take the midfielder off spot-kick duties.

"When you miss a penalty it should be someone else's chance," Holloway said.

"I don't like people who've just missed taking the next one. If we've got Ricardo Fuller on the pitch, there isn't a better penalty taker than him."

18 thoughts on “Exclusive: Holloway backs Millwall duo for Ireland call-ups

• August 22, 2014 at 11:38

Since when has dunny been a paddy.probably his great grandad

• August 22, 2014 at 11:45

@Jim28: He was actually born there Jim.... a rel genuine Dubliner, shocking considering his lack of Irish accent!

• August 22, 2014 at 12:04

@TheBermondseyBomber: He has been great so far this season, give simiolar performances till Xmas and he may get a call-up.

• August 22, 2014 at 17:05

@Jim28: been at the club since he was 9

• August 22, 2014 at 19:42

He's a cockney paddy

• August 22, 2014 at 13:02

Being totally selfish but please o neil dont call them up dunney and williams have been emence so far this season and i would dread them getting a knock!!! But on another note congrats on being noticed it would be a crime if you wasnt being looked at!!! NOLU WDC

• August 22, 2014 at 13:03

He deserves it, but as bad as the Republic are nowadays, I can't see him getting a call-up at 31.

• August 22, 2014 at 13:22

I personally would of liked to see him continue with the penalty taking.
    I dont think he would miss too many overall with that sweet left foot of his.

• August 22, 2014 at 13:51

@wall2wall: I think it would be good for the club if they get in the Ireland set up to learn a few new tricks off of O'Neill, just look at how Fordey has came along since being involved on the international scene NOLU WDC

• August 22, 2014 at 15:02

I agree.
        I know they can pick up injuries and spend more time away but it will improve their game playing at that level.
        I hope they get the call especially Dunne.

• August 22, 2014 at 17:06

Would be great for Dunney and Williams and just like Forde it will do great things for their confidence.

• August 22, 2014 at 19:56

I asked this during the world cup. No one seemed to know. When was the last time a Millwall player did not play in a world cup?

• April 10, 2017 at 20:43

Hello my family member! I wish to say that this post is amazing, great written and include almost all important infos. I’d like to look extra posts like this .

• April 12, 2017 at 10:20

Hiya, I'm really glad I've found this information. Today bloggers publish only about gossips and web and this is really irritating. A good website with interesting content, that's what I need. Thank you for keeping this web site, I'll be visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Can not find it.