bestkinky

Gueye hails Millwall's "strong mentality" after late goal

MAGAYE Gueye says he never doubted Millwall would equalise against Sheffield Wednesday – even after they missed a penalty.

The Lions were heading for their first defeat in 12 matches after Shaun Williams' spot-kick struck the foot of the post at Hillsborough.

But Gueye picked the perfect moment to score his first goal for the club when he buried a 95th-minute chance to spark wild celebrations among the 300 away fans.

And he told the Southwark News after the 1-1 draw: "The final whistle didn't blow when we missed the penalty so we kept trying and trying to score.

"It is difficult for the mind when you miss a great chance like that but we have got a strong mentality and we always think positively. We'll never stop trying this season."

Gueye, on as a second-half substitute, fired his shot high into the roof of the net – and only inches below the crossbar.

"I wanted to score like that," the Frenchman added. "I didn't want to give the goalkeeper any chance of saving it.

"It was a great ball in from Ricardo Fuller and I just wanted to make sure I was in the right position to score."

The attacker's goalscoring exploits have put him in contention for a starting berth against Rotherham at The Den on Saturday.

But he added: "I haven't been in a team regularly for over a year so I need some time to adapt and get a lot fitter.

"For me it's not important if I start or come off the bench, I just want to help the team win games.

"The team played well and we got a good result, so I'm happy. Scoring the goal is just a bonus for me.

"If I'd passed the ball to Riccy and he'd scored instead, it would have been the same feeling for me."

Gueye's dramatic goal owed a lot to the lung-busting run of Carlos Edwards, who bombed forward from right back before squaring the ball to Fuller inside the area.

And Edwards believes Millwall's last-gasp leveller at Hillsborough underlines the squad's resilience and fighting spirit under manager Ian Holloway.

"Scoring away from home in the last minute feels like a win," Edwards said.

"We've shown that we are a team to be reckoned with and that we're going from strength to strength.

"I didn't lose faith when we missed the penalty.

"Some of the lads might have dropped their shoulders but the manager has told us to never allow our opponent to see that we're discouraged because we've missed a chance.

"We have a manager who believes in us and we really fought for him on Tuesday night. We showed how strong we are by fighting back and long may it continue.

"We won't win every game this season but we want to show the fans that we can stamp our authority on the division."

39 thoughts on “Gueye hails Millwall's "strong mentality" after late goal

• August 21, 2014 at 09:52

Was there on Tuesday.. Only Football can give the emotions that it does! Williams misses the penalty heart sinks and want to go into a black hole... Gueye scores and go bloody mental!!! 😀

Looked very jaded on Tuesday, could tell we played a big game on the Saturday then travelled up the country straight after, would have made more changes if I was Ollie but hey I'm not paid the money to do his job! 😉 Think we need a new striker though!

What a difference a year makes, with Lomas I was dreading all the games and now I can't wait for the next!

MILLL!

• August 21, 2014 at 11:29

@Omer Ronayne: You have raised the name of 'He who shall not be mentioned ever again!'

• August 21, 2014 at 12:01

@vonhardshaft: Haha, I don't hate the bloke! He tried... And failed drastically but from the first day he faced an up hill battle. End of the day if we started the season how we have now last season he would have bought himself more time and support.

• August 21, 2014 at 10:01

kk

• August 21, 2014 at 10:09

Looking at the photos and TV highlights on how the players celebrated on Tuesday you can sense the team spirit, subs and all, just look at Magaye's face in the picture above, that is someone who is enjoying his football. Let's hope neither players or fans lose all the optimism we have built when we lose a couple.

• August 21, 2014 at 10:32

@lennie the lion: lose how dare you.lol..lennie i get your point but as you know if your winning everyone is happy start losing everyone's down in the dumps.

• August 21, 2014 at 10:24

You can come off the bench and score goals like that every game Magaye,, love your spirit and tenacity.
    Can see Ollie starting you soon. Roll on Saturday.

• August 21, 2014 at 10:32

Magaye Serigne Falilou Dit Nelson Gueye.

• August 21, 2014 at 10:38

'300 away fans' is an insult. There were 461

• August 21, 2014 at 10:39

'300 away fans' is an insult. There were 461

• August 21, 2014 at 11:12

Maggy looks a real talent if we can get the best out of him. He not only scored the goal but played the ball for Martin for the penalty. It's been years since we've had a player who can spot a pass, now with Maggy and Williams we've got at least two.

• August 21, 2014 at 11:25

Nice to see a togetherness in the squad long may it continue miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilllllllllllllllllllllllll

• August 21, 2014 at 11:30

He took his goal really well, great composure. Looked very technically gifted when he came on.

• August 21, 2014 at 13:07

Dislike Brigade! See all the positive posts on here and yet we still have the dislike d....heads on here.
    Makes you wonder?

• August 21, 2014 at 13:55

@Peckham exile: Lol - I thought that. Still, each to their own.

• August 21, 2014 at 13:28

Surely lots of these dislikes are a wind up.
    I'll test it out with the following:
    I hope Millwall don't get relegated this season.

• August 21, 2014 at 14:08

@wall2wall: @wall2wall:
      What are you 12 years old or something? Do you really care if someone clicks dislike on a comment?

• August 21, 2014 at 15:00

Just dont understand how people are thinking by disliking something as simple as ' I hope the team
        togertherness lasts ' which is why I said lots of them are probably wind ups. @benzo.

• August 21, 2014 at 13:29

I must admit I do like disliking the posts who complain about the dislikes

• August 21, 2014 at 13:40

@seanmfc: Whatever floats your boat. 🙂

• August 21, 2014 at 13:53

@Peckham exile: this time last year we used to see a lot of likes..work that one out???

• August 21, 2014 at 15:05

@Jim28: there wasn't a dislike button lol 🙂 but don't get me wrong it ain't me Dislikeing every thing 🙂

• August 21, 2014 at 15:31

@Jim28: Jim F...k it mate. Let the kids play.

• August 21, 2014 at 15:48

@Peckham exile: I do think its people that ain't members of NAD that are doing it a lot so might be a good idea to only give the like/Dislike buttons to members

• August 21, 2014 at 15:33

Most of the time, unless it's utter cobblers, I wouldn't even bother pressing the button to dislike a comment. It's like when they have these polls on telly and they announce '50% said yes and 40% said no and 10% were undecided'. What kind of person takes the time to ring up and say 'I don't know'!

• August 21, 2014 at 15:49

Well done Mageye! So happy to see the boys keep the ball for so long, Ollie was right, we didn't go forward enough with it but that will come. I think the problem we have is that Williams and Abdou play in very similar areas, meaning when McDonald picks up the ball he is inside our half. We need McDonald to be picking up the ball in their half, and looking for creative balls into our attackers. I think Williams is the one, who should be playing 10 yards higher up the pitch. The Abdou to Williams pass should be the highest % pass from player to player. I think if you looked at stats you would see the highest %'s are from defence to fullbacks. Once this is addressed it would change the whole game, because then Williams (who is a great passer) will be able to knock the ball wide to Martin/Woolford/Edwards/Malone, or look direct to McDonald or Fuller in much more forward areas. Also it would be nice to see Williams shoot more, he's good enough to pass the ball into the corners.

P.S Unlucky Lee with that freekick, you or Malone are gonna get one real soon, I can feel it.

• August 21, 2014 at 15:53

When trotter went to Bolton I bet he didn't think they would be third from bottom and we'd be third from top after 2 games.

I thought we would miss him but we haven't.

• August 22, 2014 at 07:01

@benzo: What a shame my heart bleeds for him a typical grass is greener div

• August 21, 2014 at 16:01

kkk

• August 21, 2014 at 16:12

i think williams in the hole between centre halves is superb as he is the most comforyable player we have on the ball, with jimmy in there he has an error in him wheras further up the field in aint too much of a problem

• August 21, 2014 at 16:41

@DELBOY64: saturday i would play the same lineup but i would start with MG the problem is who makes way.the compitition is far greater then we've had for at least 3 yrs

• August 21, 2014 at 16:46

I had to have a double take when I saw the picture, he looks like he's carrying a head (bad timing with the comment I know)

• August 21, 2014 at 17:11

@beedoscores: just had another look at the picture.classic. flaming classic

• August 21, 2014 at 17:30

@Jim28: think that's mcgaths head,he must b for the chop soon lol

• August 21, 2014 at 18:22

Jihad in action:)

No really dart him saturday, if not then against the saints!

• August 21, 2014 at 19:23

Cannot wait till the next game. Bring it on !!!

• August 21, 2014 at 20:46

I dunno how true this is but rumours flying around millwall have a agreed a fee for Hanson of Bradford city, I am saying this is just a rumour not official

• August 22, 2014 at 00:50

@rob hearn: as you say its just a rumour.what aint a rumour is that bailey is out for a month..but jim has been doing a great job

• August 22, 2014 at 01:16

@Jim28: hey Jim , ya still up? Do ya reckon the boys will be a bit rough from the programming of late? Did they finish strong and full of run at end of game the other night? Another 3 pointer Saturday would be a massive starter. Good luck and good travelling skills. Saw sum highlights at Fulham, f***** noise was incredible. Cheers.