bestkinky

Millwall manager considers making changes for Owls clash

IAN Holloway has admitted he could make changes to his starting XI as Millwall prepare to play their fourth game in ten days.

The Lions make the long trip to Sheffield Wednesday on Tuesday night just 72 hours after an energy-sapping 1-0 victory over Fulham at Craven Cottage.

And Holloway is prepared to rotate his squad to ensure Millwall keep up with the gruelling demands of the Championship schedule.

He said: "It's always tough when the fixtures are like this, especially given the energy my lot used up against Fulham, so it's all about recovery.

"I've looked at the other games so I know that we're not the only ones – Watford have got to go to Rotherham – so I can't make excuses or complain.

"To me it would have made sense if we were playing Fulham tonight and we had Sheffield Wednesday on a Saturday, but it doesn't come out that way so let's just get on with it."

Asked whether he was intending to tinker with his line up, Holloway added: "It will be very tough if I play the same team again.

"It's about shared responsibility. I have to be really, really careful and make sure I get the right balance in this game.

"You don't have to fix anything if it ain't broken, but would we have got that performance at Fulham if I'd played them all against Wycombe in midweek? Probably not.

"So can I get another start out of Ricardo Fuller or Scott McDonald, Jimmy Abdou and Alan Dunne? I'll have to think very carefully about it."

Sheffield Wednesday have also made a strong start to the season, winning two and drawing one whilst keeping three clean sheets in the process.

"It's going to be a really tough game," Holloway added. "Wednesday are a good team.

"It will be very different to Fulham on Saturday – they'll try to hit Atdhe Nuhiu and they have got some good movement around him.

"To get a home win and an away win under your belt is great but it's very, very difficult to win back-to-back away games in the Championship, as we found out last year.

"We're in a winning habit at the moment but this will be tough.

"I will look at what Sheffield Wednesday do and their tactics. They'll be 4-4-2 and I don't anticipate too many changes from them. They might even go with two big strikers up front."

22 thoughts on “Millwall manager considers making changes for Owls clash

• August 19, 2014 at 12:04

Tonight's a tough test as they've said. 3 points would be brilliant, I wouldn't grumble if we got a point tho, lets just try keep this clean sheet going and we're half way there. COYL!

• August 19, 2014 at 12:11

Very tough tonight, but I am sure the boys can pull through. Would be great to put another one across Yorkshire!!!

• August 19, 2014 at 12:15

I worry if dunne don't play. Is the new CB up to the job?

• August 19, 2014 at 12:26

@benzo: He would not be there if he was not,if you look at the squad i think any player can step in and do a job in his position,only question mark IMO is the cover for forde.

• August 19, 2014 at 12:29

Going to be a tough game this, sorry I can't make the trip up north have to spend some time with the carpet commands at some point haha

Make some noise those of the 500+ that are going and make the team know that your there.

COYL!!!!

• August 19, 2014 at 12:40

@mfc1rob: we will roar the 3pts back to london

• August 19, 2014 at 12:40

On the subject of the like/dislike button,when i click on either they do not register so i give another couple of click"s to try again still don"t register.They are not registering on my screen but are they actually registering on the website,if i am the only one getting this problem then my theory is not worth thinking about,but if a lot of other's have the same problem,if other's are getting this problem then there is a little more work for aldo.
    I fully expect lot's of dislike's for this post,so i won't be offended if you give me the record LOL.

• August 19, 2014 at 12:46

@jim1222: It's a bit technical…they ARE registering but take a bit longer than before to show on the page. Showing them instantly on the page made the site run slower.

• August 19, 2014 at 14:41

@Alex Aldridge: Aldo someone else posted about the like and dislike the other day. Think the site has been infiltrated by none Millwall supporters. Wouldn’t it be better( also suggested before ) to take them out all together? That way you would have to be registered and would need to post if you agree or disagree with any posts.

• August 19, 2014 at 12:50

@jim1222: having the same problem with the like and dislike button,lets hope for a good result tonight,can't say i am to bothered about Smith if that's the way he happy on the bench no good for us coyl

• August 19, 2014 at 12:41

The fact we have good players waiting to get into the team if the manager decides to rest any player or change the formation shows just how far we have come in such a short time .
    I know rest players after 3 games but that's what good managers do they rotate players and use the whole squad and for once we have a pretty decent squad.

• August 19, 2014 at 12:45

Dunny will want to play make no bones about that, but do expect some changes would like to see the sparky start and maybe swap with Fuller mid second half if its not working out.

IOIT

• August 19, 2014 at 13:34

I think we have the players to make some changes and get 3 points and we see if the rest of the team is up for it COME ON YOU LIONS

• August 19, 2014 at 13:43

I hope that he starts Gregory instead of Fuller as I think tonight will be too much for him after Saturday. Not sure if he will though. I think if he rests Fuiller he will play Easter.
    I wouldn't really change any of the other starting 11.
    2 teams that had a decent start to the season carrying on from a good end to last and who dont concede goals.
    0-0 looks favourite and I will be more than happy with that.

• August 19, 2014 at 13:48

We have the depth in the squad to rotate in defence or midfield, no problem. Everybody knows the lack of cover for Forde and the question marks over our forward line means there could be weaknesses this season. Ollie is running out of time to sort this out before January.

• August 19, 2014 at 14:15

Beevers in for Dunne, but depending on formation, I can see Wright getting a game in a defensive MF. That means Fuller up front on his own, and bring on Easter with 30 mins left to play.

• August 19, 2014 at 14:16

@glyngo: Confusing ym Yorkie's.. I meant Webster in for Dunne, he deserves the rest.

• August 19, 2014 at 14:33

Would settle for a point up there, we never get anything at Hillsborough. They look to have started well too, so, fingers crossed

• August 19, 2014 at 16:31

Fuller needs to start putting in the miles

• August 19, 2014 at 17:02

To the above.. Fuller has worked his socks off in these last three games.

• August 19, 2014 at 18:27

@gavlionse15:
      I agree Fuller has worked his nuts off so far and after playing well for 60mins at Fulham his legs had gone, he needs a rest now to be ready for Rotherham, I'll be very surprised to see him on the teamsheet tonight,
      Another clean sheet ?.