bestkinky

Dunne: Being made Millwall captain is a "special moment"

ALAN Dunne has described being made Millwall captain as a "special moment" in his life.

The long-serving Lions stalwart was handed the armband by manager Ian Holloway ahead of the opening-day win over Leeds United last weekend.

And Dunne has thanked Holloway for trusting him with such a big responsibility.

He said: "Ollie pulled me aside after a team meeting at The Den last Thursday and said that he wanted me to be his captain this year.

"The manager said that I haven't let him down yet, that he trusts me and thinks I can lead the team.

"It's an honour for someone like Ollie to trust me.

"Any manager can make you captain and it's an honour, but when Holloway, who is one of the few real and honest people in the game, asks you to be his captain that’s really special.

"He believes in me and not many of my managers have done that before. I respect him a lot."

David Forde and Nicky Bailey were also in the frame to get the captaincy but Dunne feels that it was his turn to lead the Lions.

He said: "If Ollie had pulled me and said that Bailey or Fordey was going to be captain, I would have respected that because I'm not one to get the hump.

"It could have been Fordey, it could have been Bailey but I felt it was my time.

"The three of us respect each other and ultimately it's just an armband – the other two will be just as loud and as effective as leaders as I’ll be."

30 thoughts on “Dunne: Being made Millwall captain is a "special moment"

• August 14, 2014 at 12:06

The only man to be our captain in my opinion, he has had his knockers and doubters from management, they always try to move him or drop him but he comes back fighting and proves them all wrong, a player to respect, a player for youngsters to learn from and a good role model to the kids, personifies Millwall and the never give up attitude.
    Dunney I salute you and if I had a hat on I'd take it off to you.

• August 14, 2014 at 13:14

@brooker: Spot on Brooks. Also didn't Dolly Parton have her knockers.

• August 14, 2014 at 20:27

@brooker: still not able to log my likes ,, but totally agree with your post ,,,,,come on A D lead us forwards & up ,,, can't wait for sat ,,,,,,,,
      C O Y L ,,,,,N O L U

• August 14, 2014 at 12:08

Well done you've earned it. But remember we did u on the pitch.

• August 14, 2014 at 12:10

The Guvnor.
    Well deserved.

• August 14, 2014 at 12:23

Good decision by Oliie and well deserved. Dunne never hides has obvious leadership qualities and i know it shouldn't but that ridiculous tackle he made against Real Mallorca made me smile.

• August 14, 2014 at 12:47

wear it with pride dunny you deserve it...

• August 14, 2014 at 12:49

Not his biggest fan it has to be said, but on Saturday he played well including clearing one off the line, he did tend to drift out towards the right back position in the first half, so as a CB I am not sure about his positional play and for me he is not tall enough for me to boss it

To be fair though that Leeds side on Saturday were p*** poor so not too hard for him in taht position, so I am sure he will get sterner test's during the season to come possibly this Saturday, but I hope he comes through it on a 2 & 0 as the Captain of Millwall.

• August 14, 2014 at 13:02

wouldn't it be nice to finish the season with a 'plus' goal difference!

• August 14, 2014 at 13:17

You don't have to be the best player to be captain. Dunne has the club at heart. Good luck son.

• August 14, 2014 at 13:22

As one of his previous doubters Dunne has completely won me over with his commitment, as well as the new dynamic quality he brings to the CB role. Most importantly he's really helped fill the void left by players like Ward and Frampton outlined in Michael Calvin's 'Family'. It's a good time to be a Millwall fan

• August 14, 2014 at 13:51

@MillwallJoe: alot of fans voted for bailey imo dunney is the right bloke for the job..it also takes the oressure of bailey cos he's got the whole nid to run..i've met AD & you wouldn't think it was the same bloke.Keep on proving em wrong dunney.

• August 14, 2014 at 15:23

I have been Dunne's worst critic, but I have to say that he has played well since he moved to CB, and did so again the other night, once he moved there from RB. I hold my hat up to him, but please do not put him back on the right, it just doesn't suit him. Webster worries me, slow on the ball and very clumsy. I thought Easter and McDonald did well against Wycombe, but Gregory is miles away from being the answer to our goals problem. Not sure Smith is the answer but at our prices, who is available?

• August 14, 2014 at 21:35

@beedoscores: beedo i didnt see webster against wycombe but i can assure you he wasnt clumsy against majorca, his passing was excellent that night, perhaps he had anoff day on tuesday, worth giving him time

• August 14, 2014 at 16:01

Top man Dunne

• August 14, 2014 at 17:15

most of us thought Dunneys days were numbered last season but in the end it was pretty much him who kept us up! mainly by giving all the lazy money grabbing mob a rocket up there backsides. My first choice would prob have been Bailly but dont begrudge it to Dunney, Millwall through and through. Thought he played really well sat, good luck son, more of the same please.

• August 14, 2014 at 17:36

Three goals so far, two from defenders and one from a midfielder/defender. We obviously need a striker of some sort. The defence can't keep be responsible for scoring all the goals as well as keeping the opposition out!
    Also, I apologise to everyone who has seen this before, but if anyone else has entered the Football League Fantasy Manager competition and is looking for a mini-league to join, go to "The Lions Den" password "Noonelikesus".

• August 14, 2014 at 17:53

Billy sharpe has signed for Leeds welcome Matt smith

• August 14, 2014 at 17:55

I agree to the theory of having bailey as captain but your skipper needs to be the least injured

• August 14, 2014 at 19:03

Dunny your a hero had my doubts but u keep proving us all wrong u could go down as a millwall legend keep it up

• August 14, 2014 at 19:59

Looks like Pulis has had enough already at Palar*e! Shame (-:~

• August 14, 2014 at 20:38

@lion.ie: F****** funny as. Hope they take lomas. F****** nigel kunts

• August 14, 2014 at 21:31

S*** I was goin to put a bet on pullis leaving tomorrow. Still cheered me up.

• August 14, 2014 at 21:39

@block 28: I got on at 6/1 at 1.00pm book closed at 3/1 half an hour later. Fantastic news and I have made £120. My mate (a cheeserolls fan) said it's all over Parish wanting to force Zaha on Pullis. What a w''''''er, losing last years prem manager of the season who recognises that he is one over rated t*****. hahahaha

• August 14, 2014 at 21:57

@MFHC: well done mate your in the chair c u at Fulham lol

• August 14, 2014 at 23:21

@LETEMCOME: wot a d***.can see why holloway didn't last long.@MFHC: well done mate

• August 14, 2014 at 22:02

Parish loves himself too much,wants to be like that other mug Jordan. I couldn't be happier. Pullis is a good manager. Too good for them kunts.

• August 15, 2014 at 00:43

@LETEMCOME: I rated Pulls before this development but now I think he's a genius. Still smiling....hahaha

• August 15, 2014 at 07:46

Looking forward to the Fulham match but wondering if similar chanting about Max Clifford, will upset Mr Holloway again?