bestkinky

Millwall defender to be disciplined for shirtless celebration

IAN Holloway confirmed he would discipline Matthew Briggs after the left back contributed to his own sending off by removing his shirt celebrating a goal.

Briggs, making his first competitive start for the Lions, scored the only goal of the game in Tuesday's victory over Wycombe Wanderers in the Capital One Cup.

The 23-year-old ripped off his jersey after breaking the deadlock in the 27th minute before being shown an inevitable yellow card from referee Andy D'Urso.

And then early in the second half, Briggs picked up his second booking for a late tackle.

"I'm going to have to discipline Briggsy," Holloway said. "That was pure emotion because of the hard time he's had and suddenly he's scored a goal.

"But you've just got to keep your shirt on, haven't you? He should have shoved his face in the dirt or do something that he wasn't going to get booked for.

"It was totally unprofessional.

"The second foul was also a booking but it wasn't deliberate and the referee had let a lot of things go, especially in the first half.

"I can't argue about it because Briggs should never have taken his shirt off. The second one was clumsy.

"To be honest if I had a body like that I'd probably want to take my shirt off.

"But I wouldn't do it, with the discipline that I've got, if I know that it's going to be a yellow card.

"If you know what the rules are, why do it? So as a manager I'm fuming with that. He's upset but it's an emotional game so let's hope he learns from it.

"I'm delighted Briggsy scored and by the end of his time with me hopefully he'll have scored so many that he won't bother to celebrate them – he'll just jog back to the halfway line."

Briggs has since taken to Twitter to express his regret at the incident, writing: "I want to apologise for getting sent off and for my celebration!

"Silly booking, my emotions got best of me. WONT HAPPEN AGAIN!!"

36 thoughts on “Millwall defender to be disciplined for shirtless celebration

• August 13, 2014 at 00:47

Fair play take your hit learn from it and move on and score more goals

• August 13, 2014 at 00:59

At least he was man enough to apologise. Well done on the goal.malone has got competition for his place.

• August 13, 2014 at 01:23

Thought Briggsy played well and it was a good finish. Gregory will also come good as he puts in a lot of running for the team.

• August 13, 2014 at 03:50

Probably a good lesson for the young lad and didn't really cost us... Lets hope he will learn to have a level head on and off the pitch.

• August 13, 2014 at 07:03

I find it strange how players take their shirts off because of happiness...when my bus gets to the stop when i get to the stop, I'm not going to take my shirt off, it's not what i think to do when I'm happy...

• August 13, 2014 at 08:14

@mfclions: he will learn he cant do tbese things outside of the prem.but he was man enough to say he was in the wrong.so he's ok by me.Look out Malone.

• August 13, 2014 at 09:21

What if you got a train? @mfclions:

• August 13, 2014 at 08:07

Why did WEBSTER and DUNNE swap positions? Anyone know

• August 13, 2014 at 08:26

WEBSTER and DUNNE swapped due to the pace of one of the strikers giving SHITTU mainly the run around, could not see SHITTU playing at right back in this system all tho the lb's would drop off

• August 13, 2014 at 09:44

@rob hearn:

Their number 9 was so slow, he was through on goal at one point and shittu beat him for pace to the ball. The other guy was quicker, and did look more threatening, but yeah - can't see shittu getting into the side much this season with the new system.

have to say I was a bit disappointed with the new signings last night.

Gueye - looks like a prima donna and moans when he doesn't get the ball he wants.
      Briggs - hotheaded kid who will hopefully learn better.
      Gregory - wasn't winning balls in the air, nor had enough quality to beat a league 2 defence. His shot in the second half was a good effort though.
      Webster - looked unsteady, although getting switched around mid game can't help. hopefully will settle in

I won't write any of them off yet, and if Ollie believes in them then let's give them a chance, but they've got a lot to prove.

What has been great in the last two games has been to see some of the squad players from last season stepping up and playing their socks of. Jimmy and McDonald have been a revelation in these last two games. Be interesting to see how they fair against a better opposition. I was even impressed by Josh Wright, who filled in the Williams / Bailey role well. Not to mention Dunney who seems to have so much more composure these days, and looks less and less likely to dive straight in and get sent off which is the usual fear with him.

• August 13, 2014 at 20:51

@rob hearn: Shittu played well in the centre and he didn't get the run around it was Briggs who was given the run around by their right back and winger. Dunne and Webster rotated a lot during the game.

• August 13, 2014 at 08:35

@ROBHEARN: thanks ROB for that. So DUNNIE to the rescue then.

• August 13, 2014 at 09:22

@bordersarebest0170: someone has to rescue us from shittu.imo has had good career now its time to hang up his boots.wouldn't like to see him in L1 or L2

• August 13, 2014 at 11:46

@Jim28: He'll be gone in nine months, Jim, when his contract runs out and I wouldn't be surprised to see him loaned out before then

• August 13, 2014 at 20:52

@Jim28: where you there Jim ? I was and Shittu had a good game. What did he do wrong exactly last night ??????

• August 13, 2014 at 09:06

The kids just trying to show his rig off to the women, I'd be more worried bout him catching the flu!!! Discipline him I H then let's get on with it .

• August 13, 2014 at 09:08

Typical first round Capital One cup game, with a very flat atmosphere. No doubt in the first half hour WW were the more dangerous. I thought most of the players individually actually played well, but the system they were trying to play was not as cohesive as Saturday. I also think like Saturday the opposition seem to get space in our area which makes us look vulnerable, saying that we have a run of clean sheets so something is right. That improved in the in the second half and with ten men actually looked really good. As for the Briggs thought he was exceptional great first touch and playing very high up the field, it was silly, and Dunny told him so as he did it, to take off his shirt but he will not do it again. The one match ban is for a game he was never going to play in and we were able to practice a ten man team game, I am actually pleased we have a player with undoubted talent and showed a passion to go with it, think he could well be one of our better signings in the future. On that performance as the ‘second team’ players get more experience working in Ollie’s system I think we are looking good for the season, but like everyone one is saying need a big lump type striker.

• August 13, 2014 at 09:23

I thought as a whole the team played well, just backing up what everyone else is saying but we definitely need a striker to play as a target man, Gregory was playing this role last night, flicking the ball onto Easter, and to be fair done really well. Although once we get a target man to flick on for Gregory I think he will be banging in the goals, just needs to get one under his belt!!! Another game unbeaten!!!!!!!

• August 13, 2014 at 09:24

I forgive. Move along please.

• August 13, 2014 at 09:28

Yeah, yet another game where we don't get a striker to score, we must find a striker who actually strikes

• August 13, 2014 at 09:31

@bordersarebest0170: I have read that Leeds are after Billy Sharpe.Will that mean Smith will go ?
      Wish we were after Sharpe.

• August 13, 2014 at 09:52

I don't think he threatened Malones place.
    He scored a goal yes but I don't think he had a good game other than that.
    Again first touch let Gregory down.
    He tried a few players, Wycombe were all over us, shittu didnt look fit, and forde also very slow in distribution. On a positive note These things were seen and can be addressed now and worked on, and we didn't lose, and we haven't got a ban for our first choice LB.
    Dunne was great again, some decent crosses, chased balls and didn't give up, Gregory is in and around the box and the goals will come, magaye looks like he'll be a handful and McDonald will be a great attacking midfielder.

• August 13, 2014 at 10:14

I thought Briggs was poor. I got a sense that he thinks he's something he's not. To celebrate like he did against Wycombe embarrassed me tbh.
    Their right back was MOTM , very useful going both forwards and defending.

• August 13, 2014 at 10:21

Off topic from a Wolves fan about the Woods transfer, sound familiar:-
    Jackett says the deal is dead for Wolves. Angry in so many ways. Wood for being a greedy so and so and the board for lacking ambition... PUSH THE BOAT OUT STRIKERS ARE EXPENSIVE!! Jackett deserved to be backed, been let down by Moxey etc YET AGAIN

• August 13, 2014 at 11:20

@lennie the lion: Who is Moxey,
      why worry about wolves woods and jacket.
      wolves are a opposition club.
      woods turned us down for what he thought was a better deal.
      jacket walked out leaving us well and truly in the s**t.
      lets worry about milwall and get behind IH and the team 100%

• August 13, 2014 at 12:47

@jim1222: was only trying to point out that if you swap Wolves for Millwall and Moxey (there CEO) for Ambler in the post, it is the same statement we all came out with when Woods went to Leicester, so perhaps it is not a Millwall problem but a Woods problem. Just thought it was interesting seeing as a lot of people want Woods back.

• August 13, 2014 at 13:03

@lennie the lion: With you now lennie,sorry about that just me being a bit thick

• August 13, 2014 at 13:53

@jim1222: No problem Jim, if we were not all 'a bit thick' we would not be supporting the Lions!

• August 13, 2014 at 11:01

Good lad for apologising, live and learn.

• August 13, 2014 at 11:10

This league cup fixture is a right pain.wot moron puts it on the 1st week of season when most players are not match fit then maybe you will get a descent crowd.

• August 13, 2014 at 11:25

@Jim28: You are talking rubbish again jim,its because we played wycombe we did not get a decent crowd,not because the players were not match fit.
      If instead of wycombe we had played man unt,arsenal or man city the place would have been packed.
      jim do at least try and talk some sense in your future post's.

• August 13, 2014 at 13:41

@jim1222: looks like your being thick again.so you think its a good idea to have the game 3 days after the opening match of the season.personly i dont..

• August 14, 2014 at 00:58

@Jim28: Jim if we had control of fixture's,perhaps we would alter the date of the game but we dont so we we have to play it when the fa says so,other wise we would have fixture congestion later in the season ,or is that to difficult for you to work out.
          Oh and before you start calling people thick just look in the mirror sunshine,the dunces hat is still firmly on your head. LOL

• August 13, 2014 at 13:13

@Jim28: A descent crowd eh? Well at its lowest point, it can only improve and get bigger then.

• August 13, 2014 at 11:50

"To be honest if I had a body like that I'd probably want to take my shirt off."
    Classic Ollie. Love it.
    Good for the lad that he scored on his debut and he has apologised for getting sent off, so a line is drawn.
    We won again and didn't concede. All good signs

• August 13, 2014 at 14:40

A weeks training in February shirtless might do the trick.