bestkinky

Holloway: I've "coaxed" McDonald into doing things my way

IAN Holloway admits he is immensely pleased with Scott McDonald after "coaxing" the Australian into his way of doing things during pre-season.

McDonald, who starred in a midfield role in the Lions' 2-0 victory over Leeds United at the weekend, says he hopes to make a "fresh start" at the club in 2014-15.

And on the back of the 30-year-old's display against the Whites, Holloway was asked to explain McDonald's transformation.

Holloway said: "I haven't done anything really – apart from make him see what I believe to be right. If he agrees with me, me and him will get on fine.

"If you ask him, I think he agrees with me now.

"I think he understands where he is now and what I want from one.

"I might have got one or two things wrong last year when I was trying to stamp out something – because there was something wrong with us.

"Scott is taking responsibility and pleasing me immensely. It looks like he wants to play here.

"I don't ever judge anybody or pigeon-hole them. Do I hit them with a stick? No, I try to lure them in and bring them my way.

"Your horse behaves much better that way. There's two ways to do it – be a horse whisperer or hit them with a stick.

"I'd rather coax them into my way."

26 thoughts on “Holloway: I've "coaxed" McDonald into doing things my way

• August 12, 2014 at 10:44

I ,love they way he comes out with stuff completely bonkers talking about pigeon holes and horses its working so keep doing it Ollie lol NOLU WDC

• August 12, 2014 at 10:57

@mitchamscaff: holloway f****** apologize only then will fans start to listen to you

• August 12, 2014 at 11:26

@Jim28: Get over it. I can't imagine how your day to day life must be if you react like this to a every little thing you disagree with.

• August 12, 2014 at 12:26

@junkmale: my week would have been great if it were'nt for gobby.your not called junkmale for no reason.

• August 12, 2014 at 12:23

@Jim28: never put you down as a scouser Jim. Get over it. I think he'll learn a lesson from this. Or he's gonna drop a big one if it ever really kicks off down the Den.

• August 12, 2014 at 17:47

@Jim28:
        Clearly trolling.

• August 12, 2014 at 11:09

He said this, "Lots has been said about me criticisng our fans. I'm not criticising, I just didn't find it funny - but that's football + I get that. " To me although thats not an apology, its fine. He is entitled to his opinion and its one Im sure many Millwall fans agree with. Personally I didnt mind the chanting but you have to remember what Saville did and that to many fans the chanting would be disrespectful. Ollie is a great manager and we will do well under him. COYL

• August 12, 2014 at 11:24

@MillwallChorister:i have read this.& your right its not an apology.but it is also a lie.he did slate us.also was you awere of the song leeds was singing.about savile

• August 12, 2014 at 11:49

@Jim28: No I'm not , what were they?

• August 12, 2014 at 12:43

@Jim28: I agree that is out of line as well but doesnt mean we are any better

• August 12, 2014 at 12:18

@Jim28: I remember last year or year before they were singing 'Jimmy Saville he shags who he wants' which in my opinion is far worse as they are glorifying it. I was in block 18 in the middle of it so couldn't hear what they were singing last Saturday. Its banter near the mark or over it people should just get on with life there're more important things in life to worry about.

• August 12, 2014 at 22:15

@mitchamscaff: mitch like you i did not hear it,so we must be deaf because a couple of poster's on here said that between 50% and 75% of the crowd were singing the song's if that was true we should have heard it, so i think i will get my ear's tested

• August 12, 2014 at 11:54

Back to the subject - McDonald had a very good game on Saturday

• August 12, 2014 at 12:22

@wappinglion: He was excellent, I happen to know some rather decent Leeds fans who actually complimented his control of the game and the way he influenced it. I am also a life long Millwall fan of more than 35 years, who once lived in Yorkshire. I actually went to see Leeds at Elland Road once, and you know what I thought...it was just like The Den. We are more similar than many people would like to admit, on both sides.

• August 12, 2014 at 12:23

@JIM 28: you say millwall fans won't listen to him till he apologises . Speak for yourself mate, like a lot of others on here, we ain't bovered and WILL listen to what he's got to say. All you have to do is DONT read his quotes, everybody's happy, simples

• August 12, 2014 at 20:31

@Jim28: boycott the games and refuse to post on NAD until Holloway apologies, that'll teach him to have the audacity to have an opinion!

• August 12, 2014 at 22:17

@Jim28: You are such a sad person

• August 12, 2014 at 12:40

Jim28 You having a bad day mate? You tell it as you see fit. Gives me a laugh!

• August 12, 2014 at 12:46

I posted a few weeks back that I felt McDonald could come good this season his touch and balance when on the ball are pretty special at times he just needs a run of games which he has never had to be fair , noticed a couple of mistakes he made Saturday fans were on him which is never good we need to show some patience and a bit more encouragement sometimes

• August 12, 2014 at 16:30