bestkinky

Report: Millwall 2-0 Leeds United

GOALS from Mark Beevers and Shaun Williams gave Millwall a winning start to the new season at the expense of rivals Leeds United.

In front of a 16,205-crowd at The Den, Beevers converted Lee Martin's early cross to put the Lions ahead.

Leeds striker Noel Hunt had a shot cleared off the line by Alan Dunne after half time but Shaun Williams made sure of the points with a perfectly-placed penalty.

It took just eight minutes for Millwall to open the scoring and the goal came from a quickly-taken short corner that caught Leeds cold.

Martyn Woolford touched the ball off to Martin and the winger's cross was turned home by Beevers, who was totally unmarked inside the box.

Beevers nearly grabbed himself an unlikely brace with a close-range header from Woolford's corner, but the ball dropped a yard wide of the far post.

Leeds were being hassled and harried all over the park, notably by Martin and Woolford, and the visitors were edgy in possession.

It was Woolford's fine wing play, twisting and turning his way into a pocket of space, that nearly created a second goal, but neither Martin nor Ricardo Fuller could reach his cross.

Leeds' first chance was a golden one, but Luke Murphy opted to fizz the ball across the face of goal rather than shoot after getting goal-side of the back four.

On the stroke of half time, Carlos Edwards' clipped free kick found Dunne in space but the Lions captain could only head tamely at Marco Silvestri.

Millwall hadn't rammed home their advantage in the first half and were nearly punished after the restart when David Forde's lapse let in Nicky Ajose, who squared the ball to Hunt.

With Forde out of position and Lions defenders scrambling to get back, Hunt looked certain to equalise but drilled his shot straight at Dunne.

Ian Holloway's side quickly turned defence into attack and were on the front foot straight away, but Woolford's effort was palmed away before Jimmy Abdou put the rebound over the bar.

Williams' free kick was held by Silvestri before Rodolph Austin blasted high and wide as the sides traded opportunities.

Ricardo Fuller nearly grabbed a debut goal when he dived to meet Martin's low free kick in the 56th minute but his header flashed wide.

Millwall were then denied a stonewall penalty when Woolford was felled by a clumsy Luke Murphy challenge, much to the disbelief of Holloway on the touchline.

The Lions continued to create chances but a dangerous Martin cut-back was intercepted before Scott McDonald was foiled by Silvestri as the visitors hung in the game.

And Leeds again went close to levelling when substitute Dominic Poleon looked to have scampered around Forde, only for the 'keeper to smother the striker's shot from a tight angle.

But when substitute Lee Gregory was tripped inside the area, Williams stepped up to seal the victory from the penalty spot.

Millwall: Forde, Edwards, Dunne, Beevers, Malone; Williams, Abdou; Woolford (Easter, 66mins), McDonald, Martin (Gueye, 66mins); Fuller (Gregory, 80mins).

Leeds United: Silvestri, Byram, Warnock, Austin, Pearce, Murphy, Hunt (Smith, 57mins) , Wootton, Ajose (Poleon, 76mins), Tonge, Doukara (Cook, 64mins).

33 thoughts on “Report: Millwall 2-0 Leeds United

• August 9, 2014 at 17:17

What a relief! I'm in France right now and I had dreams that we lost 3-1. COYL!!!!

• August 9, 2014 at 19:59

@mfclions: I'm in France all the time. I had a dream we won 1-0. Since 1988, I have never felt more sure about...about what exactly? Positivity? Is that it?

• August 9, 2014 at 17:17

Brilliant start, I'm in Tunisia, so great end to my holiday.

• August 9, 2014 at 17:22

About time a comfortable win at home!

• August 9, 2014 at 17:23

COYL!!!! @S20 Nonce case. I really hope you were there and not on here hitting the Dislike button you f**King Northern Toby! Suck it up boy!!!!

• August 9, 2014 at 18:08

@JonnyBanks: next to Hartlepool comes in a third great result just need a decent striker

• August 9, 2014 at 18:17

Lost me there Jonny. I'm off to a Russell will make the bear even sweater!!@JonnyBanks:

• August 9, 2014 at 17:27

Blinding. Clean sheet, two goals and three points. COYL

• August 9, 2014 at 17:29

just waiting for my bus in the Kurdistan mountains....watched the match on my lap top found a nice little cafe with Wi Fi............can I ask all Millwall fans to show compassion to S20.....you know he's looking in, when hes not on the special bus with his tongue stuck to the window

• August 9, 2014 at 17:35

I can't beat Iraq that is for sure. But I'm gutted I wasn't at the den, my 3 kids and I have missed 2 games now in 3 seasons both have been 2-0 against the Leeds p*****. My only consolation is that I'm still sitting in a bar in Spain surrounded by the northern p***** singing no one likes us. It's not often I get to large it but tonight they are all going to hear our full range of songs miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.

Well done to all the players and coaching staff, from afar it sounded as though one time was ready for the season and the other was Leeds. Ollie, birch and the other technical staff well done. Keep it up and can't wait for my 3 year old boys first away game at Fulham, win lose or draw we are millwall and always will be.

• August 9, 2014 at 17:36

Currently in Mijas in Spain, just made the beers taste even sweeter!!

• August 9, 2014 at 17:36

Wicked result but still worried that about the striker problem, we have to be sharper up front and cannot let chances go begging.

• August 9, 2014 at 17:40

Back from game played good Leeds were let's say poor the worst Leeds side I seen in a long time if we keep it up we could be in for a good season COME ON YOU LIONS

• August 9, 2014 at 17:45

Well done Millwall. I can't say I understand Ollys tactics taking the two wingers off but I don't really care. Great start to the season but we still need a striker. I wonder if Smith will be on the coach back to yorkshire? Had to laugh at the leeds fans at London Bridge who began to get very loud when the ob put in a cordon. I think they scared a couple of old ladies so for them that is the best result of the day. Miii. Hopefully I'll get my seat back against Rotherham lol

• August 9, 2014 at 17:56

Beeeeaaaavvveeerssss

• August 9, 2014 at 18:12

You may be surprised, but I was at the New Den ( as usual ) , and YES Millwall played well. We are Proud of the Players who gave their all ( well done ! ) NOLU, WDC .

• August 9, 2014 at 18:27

Well done Wall. First half we looked like we were on a training pitch, good passing and movement, bodes well for the future. Just a word to the weeds t*** who gave me, my missus and young daughter the w----r sign , obviously a tough guy slagging us off from the safety of their coach. I bet he is one hard b-----d

• August 9, 2014 at 18:29

Just got back from the game & thought we played some good stuff today.
    We looked a bit tired in the second half with some twitchy moments but fully deserved the win.
    I thought Fuller played well & McDonald was like a new player.
    Gregory`s first touch let him down when he got put through but won the penalty.
    I think he will score plenty for us this season as his movement is excellent.
    All in all a great start to the season.
    Well done Olly & all the players + all the backroom staff you done us proud
    MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLL

• August 9, 2014 at 18:30

The trouble with Millwall is, they always try to walk it in.

• August 9, 2014 at 18:40

A very well deserved win today - thought we looked sharp, organized and kept possession well.
    Stand out player for me today was Edwards - his positive style of play and work rate was excellent.
    But it was a great TEAM performance today and I thought everybody got stuck in and did themselves proud (Including the FANS!! What an atmosphere!!). Shame Gregory didn't make the 2nd goal his, but credit to the lad - he kept going and won the pen. Great pen by Williams as well - very accurate.
    Great start Millwall!! COYL!!!!
    p.s. should've been 2 penalties - f**king refs!

• August 9, 2014 at 18:48

@Luke ColdBlow10:

excellent first half - our movement and harrying caused them lots of problems

we got tired second half and lost possession too easily at times - thought we were crying out for a centre mid last 20 mins but IH put on the forwards and I thought we got a bit exposed - if we had got the pen after 55 mins we would have hammered them but they came in it as we got a bit anxious - luckily they are very limited at the moment -wouldn't get too carried away - harder tests to come - yes the atmosphere was great - their fans took terrible abuse

• August 9, 2014 at 18:52

Currently in Croydon if anyone cares. Great day out, Weeds scum were awful. Hockaday sacked tomorrow morning.

• August 9, 2014 at 21:24

@harryfabian:

LOL...I'm from CROYDON so I care....But now live in New Zealand.......Sounds like a great game. First sunday morning of the new season. Our game wasn't on tv...(maybe check if its on over the next couple of days) but it wasn't one of the live games so it was a get up in the morning and head straight to the laptop to find out the result.....

Sounds like it was a good game with a Great result..........

More of the same next week then

• August 9, 2014 at 18:55

Man of the match had to be Dunny, best game I have ever seen him play, being captain obviously suits him. Leeds were awful not sure it will be that easy again but saying that we looked comfortable on the ball and had a definite shape about the team there only chances were from our silly mistakes, keep it simple lads keep it simple.

• August 9, 2014 at 19:11

@lennie the lion: here, here. dunny was fantastic today. i hope all the peeps on here who slated dunny will take a huge bite of humble pie, dunny isn't the most gifted of players but every club has a player like him ,who are committed to their team and fans. a true millwall player 1000% millwall through and through. well done al.

• August 9, 2014 at 20:50

Happy as a pig in the proverbial! 3 would have been better, had a score on beavers to score first and 3-0. Couldn't make it to the game today but from what ive heard a read we played well, all beit against a poor weeds team! Hoping to be at Fulham next week! Don't get paid till Friday though so not sure if ill be able to get a ticket! COME ON YOU LIONS!!!

• August 9, 2014 at 21:55

Best Millwall performance in a while and certainly under Holloway IMO.
    I love Williams & Abdou sitting deep, works very nicely, Abdou runs round like a nutter and Williams brings extra stability to the backline, both are pests to the opposing team, always closing down.
    I'm starting to worry now for players in the background, I thought the team looked very impressive today considering it was the first competitive game back.
    The Premiership might be closer than first thought...
    MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII.

• August 9, 2014 at 23:22

Good start. Edwards is so good. Williams will be a key player, Abdou will make way for Bailey when fit. McDonald not a number 10 for me - wants too many touches and never looks left. Smith would be a top signing the way we're set up to play.

• August 9, 2014 at 23:46

Hard to pick out a man of the match they all played well and were right up for it . . Ollie has installed the passion that was missing last season

• August 10, 2014 at 00:55

I was on a plane from Florida to Denver and paid $8 to get wifi so I could get lions player. Problem, not enough bandwidth for sound. Had to be satisfied with the running typed commentary. Scared the hell out of those sitting around me when I screamed as Beeves scored. Good win!

• August 10, 2014 at 09:08

Dunny and Beevers were outstanding. williams sitting deep and looking cool in possesion while jimmy played with a new lease of life and a bit further forward, mcdonald has a great touch and looks comfortable and full of confidence. forward 3 gave them massive problems . all in all best i have seen us play in years albeit against the worst weeds team ever.COYL