bestkinky

Millwall boss' Premier League pledge on eve of new season

IAN Holloway has told Millwall fans: I WILL take you to the Premier League.

But Holloway admits the new season is "just the start" of his long-term plan for the club and that reaching the top-flight may take several years.

The Lions get their Championship campaign underway with a mouth-watering clash against rivals Leeds United at The Den on Saturday.

Holloway, who has previously guided Blackpool and Crystal Palace to promotion, believes he is in "the form of his life".

And he has reiterated his determination to establish Millwall as one of the top 20 clubs in the country on the eve of the big kick-off.

He roared: "This is just the start. I know where I want to end up. We are going to be there one day.

"I don't know when that day will come, but one day Millwall will be in the Premier League."

Holloway has been given carte blanche by owner John Berylson to build the club as he sees fit – and the 51-year-old has vowed to see the job through to completion.

"I won't get fed up with this club or feel like I want to move on," he said.

"In the past I've been there, seen it, done it, got the t-shirt and the t-shirt stinks. Some of the t-shirts stink – they do.

"But here I have the chance to have an input in every single bit of my club.

"I'm delighted to still be in the Championship because we are one step away from the promised land and a load of money which would set this club up for the rest of its life."

And Holloway reckons he's at the perfect stage of his career to take on such an ambitious project.

"I've been in football a long, long time now – this will be my 19th season as a manager," he added.

"I've learned a few things in that time – about how to do it and how not to do it. But I believe I'm in the best form of my life.

"I managed to do something last year that I'd never done before, which is keep a struggling team up. It was close and I dodged a bullet but I think that gives us some strength.

"The lads now believe that we can win. We've made some acquisitions that will make us stronger because there is better competition in the squad."

Holloway’s ambitions for Millwall are limitless, but he has one fixed aim this season.

"I want to be fighting at the other end of the table," he said.

"You have to believe in what you're doing, walk the talk and hope that your players and fans will follow you.

"It's going to start with the way we move the ball and the way we're going to play – and I'm already seeing that develop."

38 thoughts on “Millwall boss' Premier League pledge on eve of new season

• August 8, 2014 at 09:07

I would love us to do a Burnley this season and go up automatically but Just get that 1 more proven goal scorer that we need then I think we have a chance

• August 8, 2014 at 10:19

@boblion: then again, you did say one day Millwall would win the cup..

• August 8, 2014 at 09:16

YES OLLIE!!!!

• August 8, 2014 at 09:21

Ollie is Gordon Jago/George Graham and John Docherty all rolled into one. No-one finer to steer the ship.

• August 9, 2014 at 00:03

@NICKOLA: ive got some swampland for sale just outside baghdad , i think u could be the man to buy it .

• August 8, 2014 at 09:28

As I said on an earlier post cannot think of a better team than Ollie and JB in the Championship, and he does get flax but Andy seems to me to be a very good CE. What with the prostate cancer sponsorship last year, the support for Lewisham Hospital, the awards for our work on racism, Jimmy Mizan foundation it feels a very good time to be a Millwall supporter very proud to wear the shirt.

• August 8, 2014 at 09:31

HOW F****** LUCKY ARE WE . TOP CHAIRMAN, TOP MANAGER. IS THIS REALLY OUR WALL. NEVER BEEN SO POSITIVE . EXCITING TIMES AHEAD . ps sorry about caps .

• August 8, 2014 at 10:09

@DiggerWall: Agreed, we are VERY lucky. Whoever doesn't think so - should take a look at the state of clubs like Blackpool and Birmingham.....
      Thanks to IH, AA and JB - we're getting strong foundations put in, to push our club in the right direction.
      p.s. yeah you should be sorry - ONLY STORMIN NORMAN's ALLOWED TO HAVE A FAULTY CAPS LOCK!!!

• August 8, 2014 at 10:53

@Luke ColdBlow10: Make you right luke, I will leave the caps for the storm. WERE GONNA SMASH LEEDS TOMOROW. S*** done it again.

• August 8, 2014 at 09:34

There is no doubt that :
    We have NEVER had a Manager with more ambition.
    Never had a Manager who is here for the long haul.
    Never had a Manager that has DONE what he preaches.
    And never had a Manager who is mad as a march hare.lol.

Tomorrow the Den will be rocking.

• August 8, 2014 at 09:35

OH the MENTAL one ,,,,, we are right behind you .
    ONWARDS & UPWARDS. ,,,,,, C O Y L

• August 8, 2014 at 09:35

I am speechless Alan Dunne Captain & Ollie saying he will take Millwall to the Premiership, and we have not even kick a ball in anger yet, lets see what tomorrow brings? once all the adrenilin stops flowing.

• August 8, 2014 at 09:36

Don't you worry about us Ollie...... WE ALL FOLLOW THE MIIILLLWAAALLLL - OVER LAND AND SEA.....!!!!! COYL!

• August 8, 2014 at 09:54

LET EM ALL COME DOWN

• August 8, 2014 at 10:13

@wall2wall:but one day Millwall will be in the Premier League."..sounds like del boy

• August 8, 2014 at 11:30

@Jim28: And a bit of French throwing in has well carte blanche (I bet Ollie thought that was a new striker JB had found him ) as long as he don't pick up dodgy striker we should be alright jim lol

• August 8, 2014 at 12:13

@Jim28:
        Even Del Boy got there in the end Jim although it was short lived.
        Sounds familiar especially where the Premiership's concerned.

• August 8, 2014 at 10:34

Talk and promises are easy, we hear that from the so called "politicians" every day actually doing it is a lot harder. Don't get carried away, we are miles away from a premiership side at the moment I think getting in the top half this season will be the best to hope for and I would be pleased with that.

• August 8, 2014 at 10:49

@Peckhamlad:Peckham I fully agree with what you have said, I cant understand how people think that Millwall who have just avoided the drop over the last 2 seasons, can now be a potential premiership outfit, dont get me wrong I would love it to be true.
      Oliie has made a couple of decent signings and anything towards the middle of the table would be progress for Millwall and Ollie could be more than proud of that. Lets see what happens 5 games in before we get carried away, I have seen too many false dawns supporting the Wall.

• August 8, 2014 at 11:11

@Barnlion: the talk about premiership started with tbe mental one ..if you check the fans poll you would find this to be the case..i read the SLP & he's quoting lord nelson.i think olly's getting excited.

• August 8, 2014 at 11:17

@Jim28: Jim, I know that but we do seem to get carried away very easily, and what a good photograph of him in the SLP, the only difference is he has both of his eyes.

• August 8, 2014 at 11:11

During the dark days of Steve Lomas last season the most common shout on here was "we want our Millwall back".

It's been a long hard 12 months, but I honestly believe we've got just that now.

I feel sorry for fans of other clubs, because I can't believe following anyone else can feel as bloody good as supporting Millwall.

God bless my dear old Dad for making sure Millwall was part of my footballing DNA, it's one of the few things in my life I would never change.

And no, I've not started on the sauce already! Have a great season everyone COYL

• August 8, 2014 at 11:31

All good in theory but actions speak louder than words. Take it one game at a time, that's all Dyche ever said and he got promoted with games to spare at a club in similar stature to ours. Need to be realistic.

• August 8, 2014 at 11:34

Still no sign of the storming Norman, getting worried bout him now.......

• August 8, 2014 at 17:21

@mfc1rob: Hey mfc1rob, the storm is back ! He left a message to you on the POLL ITEM : on Thursday morning( have a look back ). NOLU, WDC.

• August 8, 2014 at 11:55

Christ that statement gave be butterflies in my gut. Could we really do it. He certainly talks the talk and if he has got the right mind set into the players, who know.

• August 8, 2014 at 12:06

Coming back down to earth for a moment (I'm always this giddy at the start of a new season) I've always thought that first and foremost, all Millwall fans truly want is for the club to be run the right way, for the players, manager, coaching team, directors etc to all love the club and totally understand and buy into what it means to the fans and the community/Millwall family.

Whenever we've had a manager who just sees it as another managerial post, or an expensive player who sees it as just another move, or a chairman who treats it solely as a business, it invariably fails.

When we get it right, as I think it is now, success will come eventually, I'm convinced of it, but for me at least, success is not defined by reaching the Premier League. Yes it would be nice and the financial benefits to the club are huge (if handled properly, you can very quickly spend your £90m PL revenue or whatever it is in the top flight and just look at Blackpool as an example of how not to do it) but for me it's not the be all and end all - and I think a lot of Lions fans feel the same. We just want Millwall to be Millwall.

• August 8, 2014 at 13:16

@mervpayne: A very good post. Premier League would be nice, but even nicer would be to ensure a spell in this division ensures our club is stable for many, many years after, not to mention getting a generation of local kids hooked on the club. I think this is the main goal even if it means we are only briefly in the top flight. If we spend spend spend in an attempt to stay there our club will be in big trouble.

• August 8, 2014 at 13:07

Love it.

• August 8, 2014 at 13:43

ollie has the potential to and probably will become our greatest ever manager

• August 8, 2014 at 13:46

@jackmfc99:
      Long long way to go before he even gets near that but would love to see it.

• August 8, 2014 at 13:47

Ollie is a great character & just what we need right now.
    I'm staying cautious though, a lot of money sloshing around in our division now & we could get a spanking at craven cottage with the quality they've got .
    But survival & slight progress season by season is our real aim.
    3 points tomorrow please Ollie!

• August 8, 2014 at 14:04

@Millwallsteve: i have to say your talking crap.last year we we to forest wigan & derby(clubs with money).& won.we also went to QPR a club a wash woth talent.& secured safety.

• August 8, 2014 at 19:51

@Jim28: Millwallsteve said we "could" get a spanking, not "would" so I don't see why he is talking excrement. We will surprise some teams with loadsa money this season and get beaten by others. But we all agree with Millwallsteve that the word "progress" is the key objective.

• August 8, 2014 at 14:17

Everyone is saying oh we only need smith now and well be fine. Is that really the case?! Im undecided say he gets injured....

• August 8, 2014 at 17:14

We must be realistic. We dont have the funds of most clubs in this division, so as far as I'm concerned mid table mediocrity will do for me. As an older supporter I've seen it all before-and some , but my old ticker wont take another relegation scrap. COYL

• August 8, 2014 at 21:26

Think it and it will happen.....!!!! I like that IH is saying one day.... He's not saying he is going to get us there this season....or even the next for that matter, but one day.

What this says to me is that he is here for the long haul, which for me I think is great.

I said on an earlier post that I think this off season is just the start of things to come.
    He will attract players to the club, some of which may not of come with others in charge.
    I think it will bring new fans to the club. Lets face it, everyone knows who we are but some wouldn't have wanted anything to do with us in the past. This I believe will now change in the coming years.

Gone are the days where you would see the local lads wearing their Man U / Liverpool / Chelsea shirts down the local park they will want to be wearing the Mighty Lion on the shirt / they will want to be heading down the den on a Tues night or sat afternoon.

The passion is there from the Manager and the Board and we all know that the passion has been there from the fans we already had for years, now its time to build a bigger club and get ourselves to the premiership.....!!!!

As I started the post, maybe not this year or next...(but if we do then great).... but finally we have a manager / board and players that think like MILLWALL, want to be MILLWALL and have the drive to get us there. I'll predict it now....We will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season.

COME ON WALL...............