bestkinky

Holloway announces that Alan Dunne is new Millwall captain

ALAN Dunne is Millwall's new captain.

The long-serving defender was confirmed as Paul Robinson's replacement by manager Ian Holloway at a fans forum event on Thursday evening.

Holloway said: "He wants to win more than anyone.

"Dunne can play at centre-half in the way I want to play. He will be outstanding."

The 31-year-old tweeted that he was "honoured" to be given the armband.

Dunne skippered the side on a temporary basis towards the end of last season – and the Lions went on an eight-game run under his leadership.

And now Holloway has given the defender the job full-time.

Prior to being confirmed as captain, Dunne said earlier this week: "Every player would like to have that responsibility.

"It would be a great honour to captain Millwall having been here for so long."

62 thoughts on “Holloway announces that Alan Dunne is new Millwall captain

• August 7, 2014 at 23:08

Good luck Alan Dunne. Now get rid of that proxy advert every time I come on this site

• August 8, 2014 at 16:25

@wwlion: try downloading ad blocker pro works a treat !!

• August 7, 2014 at 23:09

Congrats Dunney Millwall through and through who is the vice captain then?

• August 7, 2014 at 23:28

@millwallgracie98: he should have been named as club captain. I take he's playing saturday.

• August 7, 2014 at 23:23

Poxy

• August 7, 2014 at 23:33

@Alex Aldridge: i cant see why ads are bothering people.do the same people stop watching tv.

• August 7, 2014 at 23:40

@Alex Aldridge: Alex, There are plenty of free Millwall sites with no ads. "Newsnow Millwall" being one of many. By the way, I e-mailed you last week about who won the two Football manager 2014 games that were advertised on here as a competition without the courtesy of a reply.

• August 7, 2014 at 23:51

@NICKOLA: There's no comparison with NewsNow. NewsNow aggregates links. It doesn't produce content and has few expenses. It's also a large business and in fact it does have advertising. NewsAtDen is operated out of an office in Bermondsey, a stone's throw from The Den, by a small, independent company - we have no big backers and aren't part of a big media group. Last year the site operated at a loss. So the ads are a necessary evil. We'd prefer to take all the ads off and charge our readers £1 a month - but apparently that would be outrageous!

• August 7, 2014 at 23:52

As for your email, I'll reply tomorrow. We produced a big season preview supplement in the Southwark News this week which was very time-consuming, so there are quite a few people who I need to get back to!

• August 7, 2014 at 23:55

@Alex Aldridge: Newsnow Millwall trawls the net for anything pertinent to Millwall. There's no pop-up ads. It doesn't have your association with Ollie or the board that you deservedly enjoy but following your post it does of course bring the news immediately.
            And the Football Manager winners were------?

• August 8, 2014 at 00:06

@Alex Aldridge: How can anybody dislike this response? Is this not the best Millwall news based site out thereby a mile and then some? What can having a pop at the bloke who works his balloaks off maintaining it possibly achieve? Tut

• August 8, 2014 at 00:21

@Alex Aldridge: Nickola needs to win each argument so its best we leave it! If the ads offend you and there is a site out there providing news that quenches your thirst for Millwall news then stay there and back off the bloke who invests untold time for little gain for the greater good. Pathetic and selfish.

• August 8, 2014 at 06:17

@Alex Aldridge: well said..if adverts are so offensive then why watch sky sports news or any other sites or tv stations advertising is an integral part of life today..Live with it

• August 8, 2014 at 08:01

@Alex Aldridge: How anyone can s*** off this site baffles me... Apart from the South London Press this is where I can keep up with the latest news and trust that the information is current, generally relevant (few non stories but better than nothing to read) and accurate. Virtually every site on the net has advertising so struggle to see what there is to moan about? Some people love to b****, sounds a bit green eyes to me....

Anyhow good news on Dunne, true Wall who apparently contributed to stopping the rot and was like a new player at the end of last season. Produce the same again and we could have a new club legend...

• August 8, 2014 at 09:02

@Alex Aldridge: perhaps you can do what some sites do & offer a paid for version of the site which is ad free? then if these moaners are so bothered by it, they can just pay you instead of the advertisers, for the record I work in advertising & have no problem with the ads, what people should be doing on here is supporting a Millwall site by watching the ads once in a while & buying through the ads if interested to help you guys generate more money for the site, we should always try to look after our own!

• August 8, 2014 at 11:35

@NICKOLA: Mate just get an adblocker. 30 seconds of your life and you'll never have to complain again..

• August 7, 2014 at 23:44

@wwlion: I work in advertising so I encourage ads BUT I prefer ads to be passive and viewed on merit due to their style, quality and content as they reside in paper form, internet ads are force fed and intrusive and based on data retained by cookies etc...... Not cool but as Alex said they pay the bills.

• August 7, 2014 at 23:30

Conrats to Dunne.
    What's pretty obvious is that he's going to be a starter at centre half in place of either Beevers or Webster. Got my doubts, but I'll go with the flow. For now anyway.

• August 7, 2014 at 23:47

@NICKOLA: We have lacked a plyer with composure at the back for quite a long time and dunne brought that into his game when he played CB. His control and desirte to recieve the ball make him one of the best all round footballers at the club. Of course we have players with more flare, but he has a more all round technical game.

• August 7, 2014 at 23:50

@glyngo: Technical game? Have you seen that tackle he made on that Mallorca player? He's a liability. Millwall through and through yes but not a centre half.

• August 7, 2014 at 23:43

Dunny has had his critics over the years but he is still here and still as passionate as ever..
    Deserves the chance. after all it was him who shook the team up last season with his commitment outburst.
    Good luck to him

• August 7, 2014 at 23:44

I thought Dunney showed real class last season and I am chuffed for him to get this honour. I have defended him many times on this site and believe he still has plenty to offer. Well done mate.

• August 7, 2014 at 23:53

@glyngo: agree with you,also the team photo did not notice Bywater on it can only hope he has gone

• August 7, 2014 at 23:58

@eddiebrewer: Apparently he missed the train.
        It went between his legs.

• August 8, 2014 at 00:02

@NICKOLA: NewsNow is an automated system. Nobody is 'running' that site. I don't think you have any awareness or appreciation of the time, effort and money that goes into NAD, otherwise you wouldn't complain about adverts. If the ads are so unbearable then up will go a paywall!

• August 8, 2014 at 00:13

@Alex Aldridge: I've personally defended both you and NAD in the past against antagonists. You know I have. It's an excellent site. Scoops, insights, weekly debrief with Oliie and Millwall through and through. My point was it's not the only site. That's all I said.

• August 8, 2014 at 00:24

@NICKOLA: We're the only site that does what we do…so comparing it to NewsNow is comparing apples and oranges….

• August 8, 2014 at 00:33

@NICKOLA: I'll email you in the morning. I'm not going to post people's names on the site without their permission.

• August 8, 2014 at 00:25

@NICKOLA: Nic I think I went off on a mad one and had a go (drink induced) without having paid due attention to your point. Apologies mate. But I stand by my own stance that Andy smashes it on here.

• August 8, 2014 at 00:38

@JonnyBanks: Got no problem with your comment me old cocker. All sins forgiven. As I've posted today and in the past, NAD is the best Millwall site due to the insights which are well earnt by Alex and his staff . My issue is that it's not the only one, there are others that are ad free. Check it out if you don't believe me. Those like 'Newsnow Millwall' are not techinally 'manned' and do not interview at the training ground nor have a weekly 15 min pre-arranged call with Ollie- These attributes are to be rightly respected. But, like many, they do trawl the w.w.w to report anything that mentions the word 'Millwall'. Therefore fresh news is always seconds away. The problem with those sites is that they do not offer the banter that NAD offers and that's a definite positive. I don't see what I've said previously to negate that. Cheers. Mine's a lager.

• August 8, 2014 at 00:47

@NICKOLA: Yep I think I owe you a couple of lagers. But I do stand by my guns in Andy's defence..... If it's the best site then I think its best said that we don't have a pop at him for doing what is required to provide us an excellent service.

• August 8, 2014 at 11:37

@NICKOLA: @jonnybanks, who the f*** is Andy!?! It's Alex haha

• August 8, 2014 at 23:22

@JonnyBanks: Andy Ambler of course Silly Billy's. Seriously though obviously I meant Alex, apologies.

• August 8, 2014 at 00:04

Glad we cleared that up! Some might disagree with the decision - but in terms of the Dunneys length of service and what millwall means to him personally - it does makes sense - and we know that we will get nothing less than 100% effort and passion from the man. Congratulations Alan Dunne!

Now let's go smash Leeds! COYL!!!!!!

• August 8, 2014 at 01:18

Anyway back to our new captain Alan Dunne

Congratulations!!

• August 8, 2014 at 01:41

Well done Dunney you deserve it.

• August 8, 2014 at 02:32

Don't get it why name a player your captain that will struggle to get in first team wrong choice for me Bailey would be my choice Webster and beavers first choice cb rele don't get this decision

• August 8, 2014 at 03:44

I will never understand all this whinging about advertisements. If you want fewer, or no, ads use a browser with a built in adblocker (maxthon, midori etc) or install an add-on to block ads and pop-ups. On this page the only ad I get is for Dimension One kitchens.

• August 8, 2014 at 06:02

DUNNEY WILL DO FOR ME , MILLWALL THROUGH AND THROUGH , EXCELLENT CHOICE.

• August 8, 2014 at 07:02

A lot of 'in Olle we trust' folk will be disappointed with this decision but you can't have it both ways. If Dunne is to feature as Holloway's first choice centre half then this choice was a no brainer. Dunne has been written off numerous times but always bounces back and his downfall will always be the odd rash tackle, much like Rhino, a legend of our past.

• August 8, 2014 at 07:37

@lion.ie:crowd of around 16,000 will be watching you.so there's no pressure dunney.

• August 8, 2014 at 08:00

Well deserved! Top man dunney! COYL!!!

• August 8, 2014 at 08:22

Gratz Dunney. Been a true lionheart. Just gotta stay on the field as captain 🙂 so no red cards plz

• August 8, 2014 at 08:24

Good choice under Ollie I reckon dunney could be our skipper for a few years yet,Well done dunney now lead them lions out tomorrow and rip apart Leeds

• August 8, 2014 at 08:35

Congrats Dunney, well deserved. Get them rocking Saturday!
    Anyone heard from 'STORMIN NORMAN'? I know some mentioned last week but didn't see any responses.

• August 8, 2014 at 08:39

I like dunnys spirit but for a defender he is just too short. What he lacks in height he makes up with cynical fouls and red cards! Here's to another season of leaking goals like a sieve. Let's hope our strikers make up for it COYL

• August 8, 2014 at 08:59

The ads are obtrusive and gradually you will see more and more. It's a Millwall site, not Sky's or anyone else's so how about Millwall advertising on here such as tickets sales, club shop, special offers etc?

• August 8, 2014 at 09:03

Firstly I would like to congratulate Alan Dunne for being the next Millwall captain but my concern is does Holloway play him at CB or RB because now we have Webster will he replace him or stay in the position

• August 8, 2014 at 09:09

Well done Dunney but wrong choice in my view. Dunney as club captain fair enough but Bailey should of got it. Anyway it would be nice to see eleven captains out there this season all talking and encouraging each other.

• August 8, 2014 at 09:48

Should of been club captain for me simply because i did not see him starting most games.
    Now I am slightly concerned that Holloway will fit his captain in his starting 11 even if it's not the best team he can put out.
    Well done Dunney but a strange decision for me.

• August 8, 2014 at 11:38

I'd say club captain at best because this now means he has to play. Too unevolved IMO. Webster & Beevers is an ideal partnership and I'd have Carlos Edwards or Fordey as captain on Saturdays.

• August 8, 2014 at 12:25

Congrats to dunne for getting captains armband. Right man for the job I think.

P.s. NICKOLA has noawareness or appreciation of the time, effort and money that goes into NAD.

• August 8, 2014 at 15:58

We're 6/4 second favs to go down, and if this manager considers dunne a better centre half than beevers or webster id say those odds are justified

• August 8, 2014 at 16:06

I read some time back Ollie saying he would like to play 3 at the back so, if he does then it would make sense to have Dunn , Webster , Beevers across the back, maybe that's his idea.

• August 8, 2014 at 17:50

I am proud to call Dunney Captain of OUR club. He deserves it and has more experience in professional football than all of us put together x10 !
    He aint our best player by a mile but , he's the best man for the job by an even bigger margin

• August 8, 2014 at 23:48

This wont be a popular post I know congratulation's Dunney on becoming captain but this does seem a very strange decision to me, we seem to be building a team / squad for the future Dunne is a strange choice if that is the case . I have always loved Dunne what he lacks in ability he more than makes up for in heart and determination , but I don't think he has been a very good. player for us for a couple of seasons now.
    Does this mean he is now the first person on the team sheet because he is captain if so im worried sorry to sound so negative cant wait for leeds tomorrow