bestkinky

Robinson: Dunne or Forde should be next Millwall captain

PAUL Robinson believes Alan Dunne or David Forde should skipper Millwall in his absence.

Club captain Robinson yesterday sealed a loan move to League Two side Portsmouth.

And the 32-year-old has tipped Dunne and Forde as the leading contenders to wear the armband for the Lions this season.

"Nicky Bailey being injured has perhaps ruled him out," Robinson said.

"For me, it's a straight choice between Dunney and Fordey.

"They've been at the club for a long time, they know how Millwall works and they've been important players here for a number of years.

"Both of them have been an integral part of what Ian Holloway has done since he's come in.

"The two of them are natural leaders and I'm sure one of them will wear the armband."

Robinson is joining Pompey for a month but has not given up hope of playing for Millwall again.

"Ollie has made it pretty clear that games are going to be hard to come by and Portsmouth have got eight in a 28-day period," he said.

"It's an opportunity to get me fully up to speed, fighting fit and in contention to come back to The Den and challenge for a first-team place.

"I'm still at Millwall this season and that's still where I want to play.

"I was really looking forward to the new season but I'm short of match fitness.

"I need to play – to get my feet moving and my timing right – so I need to get out there and get my sharpness back.

"Hopefully doing that will mean I can be much further ahead in Ollie's thoughts.

"But there’s no room for sentiment in football – it can't work like that.

"You can only judge things on the here and now, and in Ollie’s opinion I’m not at the level required to get into his team."

25 thoughts on “Robinson: Dunne or Forde should be next Millwall captain

• August 7, 2014 at 09:49

Can't wait to see ya back in a wall shirt robbo, you've been one of the biggest players and most important in the last ten years! And i tend to agree, dunne or Forde know what it takes and have that passion and know how to carry the team through tougher times. Although bailey is a great option i think dunne deserves it!

• August 7, 2014 at 10:00

@steveomfc5: dunne does deserve it.but will he be playing in all tbe games.so it has to be forde unless someone else is up to the job

• August 7, 2014 at 10:49

@Jim28: You've got a point there Jim - I would prefer having Dunne as captain to Forde - mainly because I believe a captain should be an outfield player - involved in the action and can easily communicate to all parts of the field. Forde is already a very vocal keeper and we all know he won't be shy in telling players where to be - or if he's not happy with what someone is doing defensively.
        But as you said Jim, it does depend a bit on whether Dunne can consistently keep his place... Ideally, Bailey only sits out for the 1st game and comes back to take the armband - no offence to Dunne, I'm a Dunne fan - but just think Bailey is better suited to the role - better positioned to communicate and he CONSTANTLY communicates with the team during games.
        In other news - heard we're signing Usain Bolt - that's our big awkward lump at the front sorted! Heard he's quite pacey as well! Sign him up Ollie!

• August 7, 2014 at 10:51

@steveomfc5: No way Dunne can have it. He'll be on the bench for most of this season. Forde is a logical choice, although I don't think a goalkeeper can leada team from the back during a match. I'd give it to Bailey, but now that Robbo's opened his trap he's undermined that decision.

• August 7, 2014 at 10:04

There's no way I would give it to Dunne. I know he's been at the club a long time but his decision making is suspect.
    He regularly makes poor decisions, look at the two times he got needlessly sent off last season and numerous times the seasons prior to that.

• August 7, 2014 at 10:32

@robprout: you stated needless sendings of.you should have said undeserved..

• August 7, 2014 at 11:00

@Jim28:

Maybe the odd one but there's been plenty of times I've seen dunne fly into needless rash tackles (Birmingham at home the season before last springs to mind) he's been sent off 9 times which I think is a record so surely there's something wrong!

• August 7, 2014 at 11:46

@Jim28: Of all the times Dunney has been sent off I can only think of one that was undeserved - when he got two yellows, one of which was for supposed time-wasting at a throw-in. Apart from that he often loses his head and his tackling can be grotesque - what on earth was he thinking when he up-ended the Mallorca playing last Friday. Yes, he did well at the tail end of last season although I think our run of form was much more to do with Nicky Bailey's influence, a captain in all but name and armband in those games. There's a reason that Dunne has been discarded so many times - all credit to him for keeping on coming back and certainly there are times when he has done really well, including those last 8 games, but we cannot make him the first name on a team sheet, which is what a captain has to be. Bailey when he's back, and Forde in the meantime.

• August 7, 2014 at 10:09

Forde should be captin for me, he's confident, and some of his saves have saved us from relegation so we owe it to him, Bailys a good leader and dunney has experience, so it's down to you ollie

• August 7, 2014 at 10:11

I'd defo make dunne captain if he is playing, but I'd rather see Edwards start so fired or abdou it is then.

• August 7, 2014 at 10:29

Forde all day long.

• August 7, 2014 at 10:33

Dunne defiantly has the passion for it but I don't think he'll start that often. Forde has a lot passion aswell but I don't think a goalie should ever be a captain seems pointless to have captain who can't tell the players upfront or in middle what to do, and defenders will listen to to whether he has armband or not.

• August 7, 2014 at 11:11

Since Dunne became captain those last 8 games he was captain we didn't loose a game surly that says something about him

• August 7, 2014 at 11:16

• August 7, 2014 at 11:18

Dunne-Club captain. He won't play much but would be a tremendous asset in that role.
    I'm not a fan of making goalkeepers captains. Team captain-Bailey. In his absence, Beevers or Webster.

• August 7, 2014 at 11:32

@NICKOLA: argee dunne as club captain not lost a game since he took over & Edwards team captain.

• August 7, 2014 at 11:48

If Bailey is definitely out for one game only, and that game being Leeds,I would give the armband to Jimmy Adbou all day long... I personally think Dunne is to much of a liability, and we all know how much Jimmy loves this fixture.

• August 7, 2014 at 12:11

I'll do it.

• August 7, 2014 at 12:34

As Robbo has stated "But there’s no room for sentiment in football - it can't work like that.", so the idea of Dunne as captain is a non starter, likewise Forde.
    You need somebody who will be the "Manager on the field".
    My vote is for Bailey, he takes no prisoners, friend or foe

• August 7, 2014 at 13:08

Sorry Robbo love you to death but couldn't disagree more I think Forde needs to worry about his positioning and goal keeping ( how he won player of the season still baffles me ) he sometimes appears to have trouble organising his defence let alone the whole team.
    And Dunne although is Millwall through and through as previous post says is a liability and wont feature in all the games ,
    I think someone like Bailey would be better
    Harsh but true

• August 7, 2014 at 13:38

Bailey all day
    I reckon it will make him stronger and more influential. In the past Dunne and Forde have been a liability
    Let them concentrate on thier game.

• August 7, 2014 at 15:13

Carlos Edwards-he's got the lot, used to be Ipswich captain too. Ticks every box, you could want. Its a no-brainer.

• August 7, 2014 at 20:49

Can anybody name a footballer with as much loyalty and dignity as Robbo? What a man, what a legend.

• August 8, 2014 at 01:22

If Forde was an outfield player then yes all day long.