bestkinky

Millwall forward is in the dark over opening-day selection

JERMAINE Easter has been a stand-out performer in pre-season.

The striker has hit three goals in friendlies against Dartford, Stevenage and Real Mallorca, and has chalked up two assists in behind-closed-doors fixtures.

But the Wales international has no idea whether he will be in Ian Holloway’s starting XI for the game against Leeds United on Saturday.

Despite the first clash of the season being four days away, the Millwall boss has not yet hinted at his preferred line-up.

"I have no idea what team the manager might pick – he's playing his cards very close to his chest," Easter said.

"All you can do is keep on working hard and hopefully I've done enough in pre-season to warrant a place in his XI. But I honestly can't call it."

Easter added: "Pre-season has been tough but enjoyable. The gaffer has worked us hard and if you want to be one of his forward players, you have to be fit and be able to get about the pitch.

"I've done pre-seasons which have been ridiculous but this has been enjoyable – you feel like you're learning and benefiting from everything that we've been doing.”

Easter is adapting to a new role on the left side of a three-pronged attack.

"That's where the manager sees me playing," he explained. "It's enjoyable – you can get into pockets of space and sometimes you can find yourself unmarked in the box.

"It's something I'm having to learn and I'm really focusing on what the gaffer is saying with regards to my positioning and the work I have to do defensively. You're never too old to learn.

"You're never restricted to one position with the way the manager wants to play – rotation is the most important thing in his team.

“You've got to know how to play in different positions so that when you're in a different part of the field you know how to adapt.

"On the left, you still get opportunities to score goals but you have to create goals as well and I've managed to do it in pre-season."

13 thoughts on “Millwall forward is in the dark over opening-day selection

• August 6, 2014 at 13:26

I would be happy to see Jermaine play alongside Magaye up front. if he is scoring goals then keep him there.

• August 6, 2014 at 13:35

To be fair to Easter he probably warrants a start more than any other striker we have, including Gregory. If he does get picked then he has to seize it & score goals because otherwise Holloway has every reason to drop him.

• August 6, 2014 at 13:36

Play who is in form,he isn't my choice but if he scoring then play him.

• August 6, 2014 at 13:42

Where will that leave Gregory. Easter has had his chance more than once and never delivered when it mattered. Start with Gregory to give him confidence and put Easter on the bench.

• August 6, 2014 at 14:49

3 strikers up front
    Easter on the left
    Gregory in the middle
    Maggie on the right

If Gregory ain't up to scratch bring fuller on 65th minute, don't sound too bad to me

Just worried about the midfield,

• August 6, 2014 at 15:00

his been learning to play 4-3-3 so, Easter on the left, Gregory in the middle and Maggie on the right
    if the new boy Gregory aint up to scratch bring fuller on between 60th-70th minute, that don't sound too bad to me, but my main worry is we have no creative midfielders as bailey and chaplow are injured.

• August 6, 2014 at 16:19

@conor: No creative midfielders....... Martin & Woolford......Williams can pick a pass to?????

My Team:
      Fuller
      Easter Martins Mugaye
      Williams Abdou
      Malone Beevers Webster Edwards
      Forde
      Ollie may surprise us all and play 3 at the back and flood the midfield because of Baileys absence. Who knows but my tickets came in the post today and me and the boy cant wait.

• August 6, 2014 at 18:17

@Windy: Yeah mate, I meant central midfielders, wouldn't put martin or woolford in the middle of 4-3-3 formation.

Your starting 11 to be honest mate is a lot better then mine haha, I wouldn't start Fuller though, more of super sub to me.

• August 6, 2014 at 15:02

Ive got a feeling he is gonna have a good season

• August 6, 2014 at 15:37

Local Leicester newspapers are saying that Chris Wood is up for sale according to a colleague of mine that supports Leicester City. Loan with a veiw to purchase maybe or just take the plunge?

• August 6, 2014 at 16:18

@glyngo: well we have to do something cos apart from gregory.easter & fuller are over the hill.

• August 6, 2014 at 20:45

@glyngo: forget woods he is the past lets justy look to the future

• August 7, 2014 at 00:16

@lionheart: yeah I know, but maybe now he has experienced a season on the fringes he might appreciate the opportunity a bit more than last time.