bestkinky

Gueye happy to sacrifice Everton contract for Millwall move

MAGAYE Gueye had no qualms about cancelling his Everton contract.

And he is thrilled Millwall manager Ian Holloway snapped him up on a free transfer – even though he walked away from the final 12 months of his deal at Goodison Park.

"Money is not my problem right now. My problem is not playing," Gueye said.

Despite initially impressing under manager David Moyes, the 24-year-old admits he never felt comfortable at Everton.

He struggled with the language barrier and was dogged by issues in his personal life.

And his progress was stunted further by an injury during the tenure of Roberto Martinez, who played Gueye just once – for nine minutes against Stevenage in the FA Cup.

"I played quite well in my first season at Everton but after that it was very difficult for me because of the language and my understanding of English," Gueye explained.

"It made it hard for me to be in England and that affected my football a lot. But I'm 24 now, I'm more mature and I've learned a lot.

"I was young – only 19 – when I went to Everton and the squad was already settled.

"Moyes played the same team every week so it was very difficult for me as a young player to find a place, but I did play well when I got my chance.

"It's hard to change a team when the team is playing well and that made it hard.

"After we changed manager, it was even more difficult for me because new players came in and I was injured for a long time.

"I wasn't ready to play for Martinez, to be fair. I was injured, I wasn't fit, I hadn't played in a long time and the team was playing very well without me.

"I can't make any excuses about my time at Everton. I signed a five-year contract there and I had one year left but I wanted to leave because I need to play.

"I need to show people what I can do on the pitch.

"When you have some issues outside of football it's very hard to be focused on what you do.

"Things are getting fixed now so everything is set up for me to do well and concentrate."

But where Gueye will play remains to be seen.

He became known as a winger at Everton but prefers playing up front.

He said: "I'm not a winger at all – people get confused and it kills me!

"I'm left-footed and when I went to Everton, I remember Moyes said to me, ‘you have a wonderful left foot, I want you to cross the ball to Tim Cahill all the time’.

"So that's what I did.

"But I'm not a left winger – normally I'm a second striker, playing just behind the main striker. But I'm good at crossing so Everton put me on the left and the right.

"The manager here knows about this but I'm a creative player and football is all about being on the pitch – positions and squad numbers are not as important for me.

"It doesn’t matter where I play because I know I can create chances wherever I am."

28 thoughts on “Gueye happy to sacrifice Everton contract for Millwall move

• August 5, 2014 at 08:48

I reckon Ollie has found a gem here!

• August 5, 2014 at 08:58

@steveomfc5: me to but lets hope if he has a good season that 1ov the big boys comes and gets hlm on a free lets hope he shows the faith for our club like we are doing for him as he is only on a year contract

• August 5, 2014 at 08:54

A lots been said about MG.i think he will surprise a lot of defences this season.let him lose on the leeds back four.

• August 5, 2014 at 09:00

Watched him warming up at dartford always hit the target powerful shot unlike chaplow who took out the light. Could he be our striker

• August 5, 2014 at 09:07

@deano22: He SHOULD be our striker!

• August 5, 2014 at 09:20

Dont worry Maggie,
    We're english and we still struggle with the language barrier in scouseland.

• August 5, 2014 at 12:04

@wall2wall: Haha True! Maggies English was probably better than theirs! Went to Liverpool this weekend just gone to watch BAMMA - venue was just down the road from Goodison Park..... What a sh**hole! It's like walking through down town Chernobyl!

Impressed by what I've seen so far of this lad and he's not even fully fit yet - skillful, takes on players and has a decent shot on him - could end up being a key player for us this season... COYL.

• August 5, 2014 at 12:33

@Luke ColdBlow10:
        I dont think the good folk of Chernobyl will be happy with you comparing it to Goodison Luke.
        I think your right regarding this player. He could be an absoloute gem for us this season.
        Roll on Saturday mate.

• August 5, 2014 at 16:12

@wall2wall: he should fit in very nicely at The Den. Our French is spot on, better than our English 🙂

• August 5, 2014 at 09:35

Have a very good feeling about this lad, he was without doubt the most exciting player on either side on Friday.

• August 5, 2014 at 10:13

Looks like Ollie has already got his striker.

• August 5, 2014 at 10:37

@block 28: he's not the target man that we need and we already have Martin, McDonald and Chaplow to play in the space behind the strikers. MG may need to play wide of a midfield three

• August 5, 2014 at 14:20

@glyngo: Gueye can make that position his own as you said there's only McDonald & chaplow. Martins a winger. Gueye has said he would prefer that role.

• August 5, 2014 at 10:48

@block 28: i agree.good to see bailey will return to training this week..bring on leeds (nolu)

• August 5, 2014 at 10:39

the one player i really wanted Ollie to sign was this lad only downside is its a one year contract as i am sure this kid will be a massive success for us but he really needs to sort his off field problems out.
    If that happens we have a real gem get behind him...

IOIT

• August 5, 2014 at 10:43

We have the option of a second year if he does well so he wont be leaving on a free if he sets the division alight.

• August 5, 2014 at 10:44

Only a one year contract but didn't we add an option to extend? Hope so as I think MG along with this Briggs character both have the potential to kick start their once promissing careers under IH.

I can't remember a season where we have signed such a collection of potentially good players

MG
    Briggs
    Webster
    Gregory

Plus we have Williams and Upson reletively new comers from last year and both McDonald and Chaplow could up their games.

Add to that Bailey, Fuller (may be old but is certainly not a wage theif type character) and the ex-ispwich right back whose name escapes me and we have the potential for an exciting season.

Plus we have some of the youngsters coming through... perhaps later in the season after impressing on a short term loan.

exciting times.

• August 5, 2014 at 11:10

@Jim28: That's the fella.

Plus we have Marquis to finally finally proove all the doubters wrong. Possibly.

• August 5, 2014 at 11:16

seems we had our extra striker all along..... and IH just kept it to himself....think we might actually get some goals this season and surprise a few teams and maybe even some supporters....

• August 5, 2014 at 19:02

@Kiwimillwall: is there a Millwall supporters in New Zealand

• August 5, 2014 at 23:16

@I am lion: Millwall supporters club I ment

• August 5, 2014 at 11:32

Would be nice if he could be able to cross Into Tim Cahill again! I guess we can only dream!

• August 5, 2014 at 12:02

I'm an Evertonian and just wanted to wish Magaye the best of luck at Millwall. I remember he was highly rated when we signed him having been recommended to Moyes by Garald Houllier. I agree with Gueye when he says that he is misunderstood. Yes he has a strong left foot and can cross a ball, but he is not quick enough or tricky enough to be effective on the wind, at least not in the premier league. I think he would be much more effective as a deep lying striker where his powerful shooting ability can come into effect more often. Moyes did the same thing to Diniyar Bilyaletdinov who had been playing as an AMC at Lokomotiv Moscow. He came to us for big money but got push onto the wing where he had neither the pace or guile to beat his man. Tim Cahill was the second striker so neither Magaye or Diniyar got to play their natural game. Bilyaletdinov also had a wicket left foot shot and actually scored quite a few cracking goals from range, but as he was nearly always played out of position his overall game was disappointing.

Hopefully Holloway will see Magaye for what he is and play to his strengths. Sticking square pegs in round holes doesn't work! At 24 Magaye will be desperate to show what he is capable of and I will be keeping an eye on his progress and hope to see a few screamers of the Football League highlights show!

• August 5, 2014 at 12:03

Hopefully the lad can play just behind Smith when we grab him after doing his team on Saturday

• August 5, 2014 at 14:19

In my opinion,the ideal profile for the position LAM in our 4-2-3-1,i'm sure he'll make great damages,to the opposing defenses...
    COYL!!!

• August 5, 2014 at 18:54

He has had a few problems off the pitch (mainly centred around his bent agent - his lawyer represented him when we signed him) but hopefully this fresh start will give him the chance to put that all behind him. I think we did really well to get him and he could make all the difference to us this season.

• August 6, 2014 at 01:29

MFHC you certainly are in the know there as not too many people privy to that info! I have every confidence that Magaye will be an absolutely cracking signing this season. He has immense ability! He has only recently got married too so I'm sure that will be of great support to him too in his move to London. Millwall have now got a great as potentially valuable asset here