bestkinky

Millwall waiting for news after Bailey limps out of friendly

MILLWALL are waiting to learn the extent of the injury suffered by Nicky Bailey in Friday night's win over Real Mallorca.

Bailey limped off shortly before half time after he was on the receiving end of a rough tackle which prompted a mass brawl between players from both sides.[ppw]

But boss Ian Holloway explained that the initial challenge was not the cause of the problem.

Asked if the midfielder would be fit for next Saturday's season-opener against Leeds United, Holloway said: "I don't know the answer to that at the moment.

"I think he should have stayed on the floor because it was quite a lively tackle. I can't get him to realise to let the referee do his job.

"He literally stood up with the bloke on his back. It wasn't the tackle that's the problem – that was on his shin, which is fine – what he's done is got up and doubled his weight.

"He's squatted, on one leg, with their bloke on his back, so it's not good. Hopefully it won't be that bad."

Richard Chaplow was also substituted after seeming to complain of a hamstring strain in the second half.

"That might be a cramp issue – his muscles tightening up in the heat," Holloway said.

"He had a very strange thing happen to him the other day where  his ligaments knotted up but he ran that off.

"But with some of the things that have happened to him over the last couple of years, he's very sensitive and I think he did the right thing by coming off.

"I don't think it's anything serious – touch wood. He's a good professional and I really felt for him because he's been playing and training very well."[/ppw]

16 thoughts on “Millwall waiting for news after Bailey limps out of friendly

• August 2, 2014 at 10:22

That's the reason these friendlies are NOT good for BUSINESS ! ( one of our BIG, BIG PLAYERS could be out for the start of the NEW season.

• August 2, 2014 at 10:31

On Chaplow - "He's very sensitive". Bless. Bet his hands work fine when he carries his pay packet.

• August 2, 2014 at 10:36

@DavyLion: What when he's ' BANKING ' ...( or should the word begin with a Big - ' We ' . LOL.

• August 2, 2014 at 10:41

@BUSHWACKER14: made that 'We' cause there's youngsters about ! ( NOLU, WDC ).

• August 2, 2014 at 11:01

@BUSHWACKER14: your not going soft on us this season?lol
          seriously bailey.hope its just a knock.cos he's yet to be on a losing side under olly

• August 2, 2014 at 11:46

@Jim28: Jim28, you know we still have enough ' POWDER - PUFF ' . Lol .

• August 2, 2014 at 11:50

Hope the problem isn't with his back again. It took him months to get fit last season.

• August 2, 2014 at 16:49

With Bailey looking like he may possibly miss the opening game or two of the season and Chaplow injured... again! I wonder how much truth there is in Olly looking to link back up again with former Blackpool player Angel Martinez. I know Olly has in the past praised him plenty and he played well under IH at Blackpool. A proven quality midfield player but we got options at the club already so who knows.

• August 2, 2014 at 19:50

@Bexley_Lion: Can't see that. We've got plenty of options in midfield to cover short term injuries. Money has to be spent on a striker.

• August 2, 2014 at 21:55

@NICKOLA: That's the problem area for me as well. Unless we sign another proven striker soon lack of goals could be our problem again this season. It's no good having loads of players in the squad who can create chances if you've no one who can put the ball in the net.

• August 2, 2014 at 23:02

@NICKOLA: .i still think Smith is his no1 target and cant see anyone coming in before saturday .

• August 3, 2014 at 12:16

@lion89: Agree with that. Smith must be his number one but I lalso see that we're sniffing around Leon Best. Either way, Fuller isn't going to last 90 mins every game-if any-so we do need a big man up front signed asap. I can't see how we can wait until the season starts. Arguably, that decision might lose us points. Gregory, Easter, McDonald etc all need a traditional centre forward to feed off.

• August 2, 2014 at 17:18

I was there last night, I don't think we looked to bad,both sets of players, hope bailey is ok he looked good, once lH sorts out he's starting eleven I'm sure we will be ready to rock.

• August 3, 2014 at 15:50

I hope we have a plan b in case Baily spends a lot of time out injured this season I think from his style of play ( which I love ) its inevitable he wont start every game but on the plus side I hear a certain Mr Briley was seen sprinting round the car park after the friendly doing star jumps and rolling back the years

• August 3, 2014 at 23:39

@mfc2u: I reckon Jimmy Abdou will be plan B and Josh Wright plan C.

• August 4, 2014 at 23:04

I think you may be right @glyngo: