bestkinky

Millwall eye Blackburn's Best but Ollie may wait for Smith

©
©

MILLWALL are chasing Blackburn striker Leon Best.

But the Lions fear rival interest from Wigan and Derby could kill their chances of signing the 27-year-old.

Ian Holloway has spoken to Rovers counterpart Gary Bowyer about a season-long loan for the former Newcastle United frontman.

The Republic of Ireland international earns £25,000-a-week at Ewood Park but Blackburn are willing to stump up over half of his wages to get him off their books.

However, Holloway expects to be pipped to Best's signature by a Championship rival.

Chelsea youngster Patrick Bamford has also been the subject of an enquiry from Millwall, but Middlesbrough are poised to nab the 20-year-old.

Boro boss Aitor Karanka worked with Jose Mourinho at Real Madrid and Bamford is heading to the Riverside as a favour between friends.

"I'm not best mates with anybody!" Holloway said. "Bamford won't be coming to us – lots of bigger clubs have asked about him."

With moves for Best and Bamford seemingly dead in the water, Holloway could yet revive his interest in Leeds United’s Matt Smith.

The Lions saw a bid for the 25-year-old rejected in June but remain keen on the frontman.

Holloway refused to discuss Smith specifically but said he was prepared to wait for his top targets.

"I have got some gunpowder dry if I need to use it," the Millwall boss added. "Do I need a striker at the moment? I don't know, I might have enough.

"But it makes sense to save some of the budget in case somebody else becomes available. It's a waiting game. Sometimes I'll be patient and wait for what I want.

"It's no good taking someone for the sake of it. Nobody is jumping out at me right now but I know what I want.

"I might already have enough because the lads here look ready to rise to the challenge.

"I'm not that bothered at the moment because I've got plenty of choices and I’m happy to see what develops."

39 thoughts on “Millwall eye Blackburn's Best but Ollie may wait for Smith

• July 31, 2014 at 09:13

25k a week. Are you having a laugh? It's gonna take a hell of a lot of holloway factor to get him!

• July 31, 2014 at 09:19

@icemark100: its a loan deal it says blackburn will be paying over half of his wages for us anyway

• July 31, 2014 at 09:24

@millwallhazza98: that's still about ten grand a week for yet another striker with a poor goal scoring record .

• July 31, 2014 at 09:32

@southstandview: He'd be joining as a target man, very rarely do target men score 20 goals a season. 10 goals a season, assisting the others around him to score as well. If he scores 10 but assists 10/15, that's 20+ goals he's brought to the cause. Though, I still think IH is waiting for Smith. Wouldn't be too surprised if we didn't sign another striker until the end of August to give our current crop a go.

• July 31, 2014 at 09:40

@jasoncleftpallett: none of our strikers are gonna get twenty goals in a season , all our hopes rest with Gregory up front and here's hoping he can make the step up .

• July 31, 2014 at 09:45

@southstandview: Perhaps but if a target man scores 10 and brings 20 goals between 2 or 3 of our strikers, could mean 3/4 getting 10 inc. individual efforts. That and if our midfield chip in too like Woolford did last season, goals will come still.

That being said, I'm partial to a 20+ goalscorer leading our line. Looks better on paper and more threatening to others. Won't be surprised to see goals come from all over this year with the style of play IH demands.

• July 31, 2014 at 09:50

@jasoncleftpallett: maggie on the wing could be a star this season , got a good feel about him .

• July 31, 2014 at 09:25

If he was to sign, it would be the 'Best' deal for both clubs, especially on a season Leon deal!

• July 31, 2014 at 09:26

I think the majority of Millwall supporters would agree that 1 more striker is a must, we need someone with the potential to get 15 goals, bid for smith and test the water see how Leeds react

• July 31, 2014 at 09:27

I totally agree with Ollie don't spend all our dough just for the sake if it
    Hopefully Gregory will rise to the accasion and smash the goals in

• July 31, 2014 at 09:32

Sounds like we will get no one.

• July 31, 2014 at 09:54

@Longfield Lion: why dangle names in front of us just to tell us we wont get any.& olly you must be the only one who thinks wot we got is good enough

• July 31, 2014 at 10:01

Another proven but youngish striker with pace is a must before the big kick off. Don't want a repeat of Yeovil last season when we relinquished our home record on the first day of the season. Let's make a statement of intent!

• July 31, 2014 at 10:02

The more he talks about possible targets the more other clubs will come sniffing around. He's probably just keeping his cards close to his chest so just be patient, still a long time to go

• July 31, 2014 at 10:04

We've got a proven goal scorer in Gregory he's got that knack of being in the right place to score whatever league he's in. But I still think he will sign smith all this talk about best & bamford is just a smoke screen

• July 31, 2014 at 10:09

We shouldn't discount LEE GREGORY. Good striker at the lower level and could well do it for us, cos plenty have done it before, such as AUSTIN, RHODES, SHARP,LE FONDRE, HARRIS,MORRO ( 1st time ) matt smith, probably NAKKI WELLS. And plenty more, the BURNLEY boys that were banging em in last season didn't come from anything much, VARDY, non league. Only needs GREGGO to start putting away regular and we have got enough , so don't despair .

• July 31, 2014 at 10:29

Fear not fellow Millwall boys. This is just a sleight of hand by Ollie to keep the other teams away from the likes of Smith, Wood etc. who, contrary to popular belief, have not yet signed for anyone.

• July 31, 2014 at 10:35

@NICKOLA: I really hope you are right. Dont want Best but either of the other 2 would do nicely. You seem very optimistic about these 2 ?

• July 31, 2014 at 10:54

@NICKOLA: I've never liked Best. My money is on Smith.

• July 31, 2014 at 10:31

Would rather have Steve Morrison back!
    This guy is useless, no way please, stick with what we've got!
    I have a good feeling about Lee Gregory.

• July 31, 2014 at 10:58

The list of players turning us down gets bigger every day , gregory is going to have to be the biggest find since tutenkhaman .

• July 31, 2014 at 11:06

Millwall need to break bank. Only a signing like Wood or Smith would show commitment to the cause.

They should think of Wood as a long term investment, he's only 22 and proven for us. Besides when the other "fans" see us winning they will show up, thus increasing the gate

• July 31, 2014 at 11:32

Methinks Ollie plays mind games !

• July 31, 2014 at 11:35

Just to throw out the idea what about the Hoff back? Part of the eight game unbeaten run, a target man and a half, I thought he showed good touches when he was with us and still has no club as far as I am aware. Politically it would seem an issue about saving face, but we cannot find a striker for the price we can pay he cannot find a club so you could look at it as a both sides save face. I believe we did offer him a deal, so Ollie must rate him. Just a thought not sure what way I would go.

• July 31, 2014 at 11:47

@lennie the lion: I think there are better options out there who would not only do the job The Hoff done, but also score a few more.... and I wouldn't want our beloved Millwall to lose face!!

There are a few good strikers who I think we could sign whether it be on loan or perm like Ishmail Miller, Jay Simpson, Leon Best.... I'm not Millers biggest fan but think he could do very well with us, a big lad who wins headers, got some pace, young and scores goals!!

Chris Wood won't come back to us because of the s*** he got on twitter when he left us and joined Leicester!!

• July 31, 2014 at 12:22

@Bradders: >: I think you are right Bradders the sitter he missed against Bournemouth, even though it was offside, but he did not know that and some of the sloppy passes perhaps not such a good idea. I actually think it would be more of an issue within the dressing room as it seemed to me he had slightly arrogant attitude. Without knowing anymore about it than anybody else who is sitting behind a keyboard in Tunbridge Wells the feeling I get is that under Olllie there is a much better togetherness within the club. Perhaps Aldo could tell us if he gets the same vibe talking to the players as I said on another post I would think with Ollie, Birtch and Bomber it is a much more professional but relaxed atmosphere than the start of last season.

• July 31, 2014 at 18:04

• July 31, 2014 at 18:05

@Bradders: Simpsons more of a winger than a striker , Henderson would be a better bet than some we've been linked with .@Bradders: s

• July 31, 2014 at 11:42

i would like to see CHRIS WOOD back at are club but signs of wolves going for him and if it was between us and wolves he will go to them because we have gave him so much abuse but he is the perfect guy for our team why is holloway not going for him

• July 31, 2014 at 12:04

anyone remember martyn waghorn

• July 31, 2014 at 12:05

Ollie is right to play down his interest in bringing in another forward. Loose lips sink ships as my 'Ol man used to say, COYL

• July 31, 2014 at 13:24

We can not keep relying on past players like Chris Wood,Like Steve Morison he was good first time round but I had no idea where the goal was second time.We need to come out of the past and find our next golden goal scorer has for Leon best who knows if he did come here would he be a hit or another journey man just here for the money.Lets hope Ollie has plan C and D up his sleeve or it will be players on loan till January and we find someone then, Only Ollie knows

• July 31, 2014 at 13:26

@colin66: it was ment to say HE HAD NO IDEA NOT I HAD NO IDEA

• July 31, 2014 at 16:47

smith for me but i actually think Morro would also do a job for us with gregory

• July 31, 2014 at 17:21

Can't believe what I am reading that Leyton Orient have just signed Darius Henderson and Jay Simpson.....thats a statement of intent for a league one club..come on millwall do the same ...and get us a striker....I think the O's will,do well this season ..if they can keep 11 on the pitch !!!!

• July 31, 2014 at 21:03

@millwallphil: wow! Must be a few excited O's fans out there, great signings for league 1... hope Ollie has 1 last trick up his sleeve for us... Smith would be good.
      Mixed feelings about Woods - great player, but still feel a little bitter about how he blew us out... It's funny, we were up there with Leicester when he left - (what was it? - 1 point difference?) so he decides to leave for money - which he did get - but also for a better chance of prem football... Then when they do eventually get into the prem - he's down the pecking order and might not even get on the bench... Funny old game isn't it!?
      Some footballers have the choice - Do you want to be the legend of a smaller club? Or an 'also ran' at a bigger club?? I know what I'd rather be - if you have the talent - you'll be loaded either way!

• August 1, 2014 at 00:50

@Luke ColdBlow10: I agree but you can't deny that he has Championship promotion on his CV now.

• August 1, 2014 at 01:49

Probably the most pointless article ever put on this site. Must be a very slow news week, why tell us we are 'eyeing' a player who you later go on to tell us we are not going to be signing?