bestkinky

Experienced Fuller to pass on wisdom to Millwall youngsters

RICARDO Fuller wants to help Millwall's youngsters on and off the pitch.

The 34-year-old says he will pass on his considerable wisdom to the Lions' rising stars to help them become better players.

That could mean they are on the end of the occasional grilling from the Jamaican, who added that he will be blunt and to the point in the dressing room.

But Fuller also explained that honesty should work both ways.

"All the young players had total respect for me at Blackpool and Charlton," he said.

"When I'd arrive at training in the morning, I'd see brightness on their faces.

"We'll have a laugh here but on the pitch I'll tell them as it is because I put myself in a position where I demand everything from myself and I expect the same from the younger players.

"When I see a simple pass that they should deal with better, I will tell them and I'll expect them to tell me as well when I make a mistake.

"I'm a senior player but we’re all in it together and we all want the same results. We all want to win.

"If one link breaks the chain, the whole thing will fall apart. Every link has to fit the chain and if the link doesn't fit, the manager will step in.

"I just try to be one with the team and be honest with everybody. I think people respect me and look up to me because of that."

61 thoughts on “Experienced Fuller to pass on wisdom to Millwall youngsters

• July 28, 2014 at 10:43

Was against the signing of Ricardo Fuller at first, but reckon he will do ok with us now, his experience will be invaluable and assist the young strikers at the club.

• July 28, 2014 at 13:14

@dpendet: total respect ? He scores a goal every 5 games , certainly loves himself that's for sure .

• July 28, 2014 at 16:05

@southstandview: makes me laugh that you can mock him for scoring a goal every 5 games... I will bite my hand off for that sort of return after the past few seasons

• July 28, 2014 at 16:24

@taz1987: well if you think a goal every 5 games is a good return then you can't complain if we struggle again

• July 28, 2014 at 15:08

@dpendet: I just hope our young players don't get bad backs having to keep bowing every time lord Fuller walks past , what a load of nonsense he's coming out with .

• July 28, 2014 at 15:39

@southstandview: give him a chance mate, lord Ricardo can't be any worse than some of the wage thirds we've had in recent years !!

• July 28, 2014 at 15:45

@dpendet: thieves not thirds !!!!!!!!

• July 28, 2014 at 15:50

@dpendet: true but any club with real ambition wouldn't have gone for him , I can only assume we have no money left in which case he's just the type of player I thought we'd sign .

• July 28, 2014 at 10:54

And spice things up with some jerk chicken

• July 28, 2014 at 11:10

Just a quick question does anyone know what our transfer budget is this season

• July 28, 2014 at 11:34

@blueisthecolour: No idea but it was reported as being the same as last year. Difference being we seem to be spending it much more prudently.

• July 28, 2014 at 11:44

@NICKOLA: @blueisthecolour: Certainly less than Brentfords.... what are they playing at?! they've spent over £2,350,000 on 3 players!

• July 28, 2014 at 11:54

@TheBermondseyBomber: Making sure they stay in the championship probably. History has taught us though that spending loadsamoney is no guarantee of that.

• July 28, 2014 at 14:26

@NICKOLA: it can get you success if spent properly .

• July 28, 2014 at 12:03

@blueisthecolour: I have no idea but they let their top striker go Birmingham for free then spent £1mill on that winger Moses Odubajo from Orient, £600k on Andre Grey and £750k on Scott Hogan from Rochdale

• July 28, 2014 at 12:14

@blueisthecolour: Wealthy owner who will end up wanting the money back when he goes to sell the club!

• July 28, 2014 at 15:59

@blueisthecolour: I'd imagine a similar busget to last season... My guess is that we still have a relatively high wage bill which is why we don't have an increased budget to spend on players. We still have a large squad of senior players, once many of these move on next summer I'd imagine we'll be able to free up some funds as well as have a lot more youth players on lower wages that are hungry to earn an inflated footballing wage....

• July 28, 2014 at 11:13

Is he a player or some sort of coach, what he is saying, surely this is being done all the time by the senior players in the squad and the likes of Harris, and as far as respect goes you earn that and the best way to do so at a football club is on the pitch, I must say he seems to have a high opinion of himself.
    Lets hope it trasfers to the pitcch when he plays because that is what I think he is being paid for results?

• July 28, 2014 at 11:21

Good on ya champ, lead and set the example, if enough of that sort of stuffs goin on then won't be long before we getting some good honest results.

• July 28, 2014 at 11:27

Enough rhetoric already. Just perform on the pitch & get the results we need. That'll do me.

• July 28, 2014 at 11:28

His experience is excellent but I'm not sure he's the right role model - didn't he once slap his club captains face on the pitch during a game?! Andy Griffin I believe it was.....

• July 28, 2014 at 11:56

I heard that when he was born the Doctor smacked his Mother.

• July 28, 2014 at 12:15

@NICKOLA: you don't want to upset people on here with talk of slapping lol

• July 28, 2014 at 12:24

The more I hear from him I am think Ollie brought him in as more than just a player, but a real voice in the dressing room. His attitude does sound spot on and he very was a very popular player at Stoke and I think their supporters are similar to us football supporting wise.

• July 28, 2014 at 14:00

I must admit it does look like Fuller is fullerhimself (see what I did there) but if he helps keep a good dressing room and pops up with some goals (one goal in every five games would still probably have made him the top goal scorer at Millwall over the last three years) I think he will be a great signing especially if he does give 100% which is always welcome at the Den.

By the way - has anyone got the first idea how to pronouce the new wingers name? (ie Magaye Gueye)...is it Mar-Gay-E Gew - Eye? Haven't a scooby so not sure how to sing his name when he plays.

• July 28, 2014 at 14:29

@tallchap18:
      I'm going to call him Maggie as I couldn't pronounce his name if my life depended on it.
      Welcome to Millwall Maggie.

• July 28, 2014 at 16:52

@tallchap18: Sure commentators used to call him Maggie Gay, could be wrong though!

• July 28, 2014 at 17:28

@tallchap18: http://www.forvo.com/word/magaye_gueye/ Click on this and you can hear how it's pronounced. Not that I think for one minute that that is how we're going to say it at the Den! Basically it's roughly Ma-gay Gay.
      And regarding Fuller, there's an interesting comment from Powell who was his manager of course at Char...n (who I'm told I mustn't mention) in the SLP, a link to which came up on Newsnow. And I dare say I'm not allowed to mention that publication either!

• July 28, 2014 at 15:43

Someone should tell fuller to stop smoking the funny fags.either that or he's talking s***

• July 28, 2014 at 16:10

Go on record didn't want fuller talks more than he scores goals. But when he is on the pitch I'll be giving him my support because that's wot we do. One piece of advice stop mentioning charlton

• July 28, 2014 at 18:01

It's funny how articles on this website work the same way as buses on jamaica road. You wait forever for one, then two come along, but you don't want either of them! Get us some transfer news! What's happening with smith?

• July 28, 2014 at 20:11

The fact that he has signed a 12 month deal tells me that perhaps he still has a bit of hunger left in him. A lot of players his age look for a 2 or even 3 year deal if they are lucky enough to get it. if it doesn't work out with him next season we are not lumbered and he knows he will have to perform. Time will tell but I don't think its bad business for us so worth taking a punt with him....

• July 28, 2014 at 20:38

Sticking my neck out here but I think we're close to signing Chris Wood.

• July 28, 2014 at 20:52

@NICKOLA: hey Nik, where did that come from? Would be great if he could rediscover his form for us.

• July 29, 2014 at 01:00

@DavyLion: just read that wolves are offering £2m for wood so unfortunately I think that ship has sailed. Would be great to get someone in with the quality he had when he first arrived. I did see that apparently we have enquired about Obi Metzger from fc haka though. http://www.sierraexpressmedia.com/?p=69356

• July 29, 2014 at 07:39

@NICKOLA: I hope it's true but I just read that they want double what they paid for him

• July 29, 2014 at 07:40

I hope it's true but I just read that they want double what they paid for him

• July 28, 2014 at 21:01

Listening on millwall player, BIRCHHAM says they call him MAGGIE pronounced as the girls name, so MAGGIE it is eh

• July 28, 2014 at 22:00

Who does this knob fuller think he is? I for one am not convinced that people are going to respect anyone who's done nothing for the last 3 years

• July 28, 2014 at 23:55

@mfcmike: i totaly agree..i disliked it when he signed.but i could of got over it.not now after reading the s*** he has spouted .he can go f*** himself

• July 29, 2014 at 10:25

I can't believe the negativity of some on here. All the guy has said is that he will try and pass on the benefit of his experience. What's wrong with that? It's not as if he's claiming he will score 20 goals this season (he won't). Ollie clearly sees Fuller as a motivator, leader and educator. I don't think he's expecting a 34-year-old to be our top scorer, but I have good memories of Moody and Claridge so let's not write him off just yet. Don't forget Gregory needs a crash course in Championship football. Fuller could be the right man to guide him.

• July 29, 2014 at 11:06

The latest news is that olly is looking at strikers on loan(says the SLP).Bamford is one.murray & zamora

• July 29, 2014 at 12:14

Chris wood going to Wolves.

• July 29, 2014 at 14:59

Fed up with this non fuller story, where is some real news. Two weeks to kick off , there must be some

• July 29, 2014 at 16:37

I am also fed up with this story, - Aldo's had an easy day today! Onn a brighter note going to Welling tonight, Bircham hinted there may be a few first teamers playing.

• July 29, 2014 at 17:55

@horseworrier: Aldo's been down the training ground, interviewed three players and is writing the paper 🙂

• July 30, 2014 at 12:04

Come on Alex where is all this news you been talking about.

• July 29, 2014 at 17:05

Just read the SLP with regards Chris Powell's take on Fuller. Not sure if Chris has any axe to grind with the Anoraks but he always seemed a honest guy to me. Quote
    RICARDO Fuller is a “clever” capture by Millwall as they have added a proven match winner to their squad.
    That is the view of former Charlton boss Chris Powell - who knows only too well what the experienced striker can bring to a team.
    Fuller, 34, signed a 12-month deal with Millwall.
    Powell had the powerful former Stoke and Crystal Palace striker at Charlton for the 2012-13 season before wage bill cuts meant he had to let him go.
    Fuller eventually ended up at Blackpool, where he scored six goals in 27 Championship outings.
    Powell said: “He’s a clever signing by Ollie. Riccy is a match winner, he really is. He won games for Blackpool, and if you look at his record he won games for Charlton.
    “People will maybe look at his age but he comes with a lot of knowledge and experience. Yes, he’s had one or two injuries and you have to manage him well - and I’ve no doubt that the type of manager Ian is that he will do that.
    “He won’t play every game - Riccy knows that and so will Ian. But when he is fighting fit he is so good with the ball at his feet.
    “It’s just getting the best out of him and giving him that confidence. The fans will love him when he is on song.
    “He is also one of the best characters that I’ve had in the dressing room in regards of geeing players up and making them feel good.
    “He was a player that I didn’t want to lose from Charlton because you need people to penetrate - to score goals and be creative. He was like that. Of course there were games where it didn’t happen but more often than not he scored, laid a goal on or won penalties through a bit of trickery.
    “I’m led to believe he did well at Blackpool but there is a lot going on up there and Millwall have taken advantage. It’s a good move by Ollie.”

• July 29, 2014 at 18:05

@lennie the lion: well I'm amazed we've managed to steal this non goal scoring match winner from under the noses of all the other ambitious clubs in the championship , they must be gutted !

• July 29, 2014 at 20:30

@southstandview: Did he not score the only goal, or the winner, against us at Blackpool last year in the one nil win, I think from a corner? I am sure you like me wish him all the best to score from a corner would something to relish just once in a while.

• July 29, 2014 at 21:06

@lennie the lion: good god just cos he scored against us doesn't mean he's any good , 11 goals in 2 years at this level and he talks like he's the next big thing !

• July 29, 2014 at 17:18

A couple of Charlton mates have echoed his ability when he actually played! Which wasn't enough apparently.

• July 29, 2014 at 20:58

@horseworrier: we got a french chinese on trial the 18yr old lb plays tonite at welling..his name is antoine tchang tchong..('not kidding).

• July 29, 2014 at 21:50

@Jim28: http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/antoine-tchang-tchong/profil/spieler/203535 and heres all what I have found on him not much

• July 29, 2014 at 21:30

I saw the half time result showed us 2 up, with Maggie and O'Brien scoring. Great confidence boost for Gueye before the real work begins next week. COYL!