bestkinky

Millwall boss wants to sign striker before Leeds opener

IAN Holloway has confirmed he is in the market for another striker.

Millwall have drafted in Lee Gregory and Ricardo Fuller so far this summer but Holloway is still looking to bolster his options up front before the season starts in two week's time.

Holloway, who sealed a deal for ex-Everton winger Magaye Gueye this morning, also hopes to find loan moves for some of his fringe players.

"I've got to assess every situation in my squad to see whether we are capable of competing at the other end of the table," he said. "I won't stop until the squad is good enough.

"I want another striker before the Leeds game. I'm quite open about what type of striker we get, but I've got my targets and we're trying to get them.

"Things are starting to open up – we're now seeing players being made available for loan, so I'll be looking at all the available options.

"That's happening both in the Premier League and the Championship. Managers are going through their squads after three weeks of pre-seasons and looking to change their squads.

"I'll be doing the same over the next couple of weeks because I've got far too many players so some of them will be loaned out.

"Every one of my players is being tested over and over again. If I like them, great, if I don't then I will replace them – it's as simple as that.

"The squad is still taking shape because we want to be successful."

74 thoughts on “Millwall boss wants to sign striker before Leeds opener

• July 25, 2014 at 15:39

That's what I'm talking about!!!

• July 25, 2014 at 20:03

@NICKOLA: last year at palace he brought in loads
      couldnt make it work Legged it

• July 25, 2014 at 15:45

Who does everyone want as the new striker??

There are a few options out there on free's and that cost money -
    Ismail Miller
    Jay Simpson
    Matt Smith
    James Hanson
    Emile Heskey (LOL)

• July 25, 2014 at 16:08

@Bradders: Miller has gone to Blackpool. Heskey isn't going to score many but will set up an absolute hat full, as long as our midfielders or other strikers support him. Though, wages will rule him out. Simpson not sure about, more of a wide man. Hanson is a possibility and Smith will depend on who leeds bring in first! I personally would love to see Patrick Bamford from Chelsea.

• July 25, 2014 at 16:12

@Bradders: No brainer - Smith if he's attainable

• July 25, 2014 at 18:21

@Bradders: your deffinetly joking most of them aren't good enough accept for miller and Smith

• July 25, 2014 at 15:52

Thought miller went to Blackpool?

• July 25, 2014 at 16:06

@lions2009: Nope he didn't sign for them yet, he has decided to stall signing the deal because of the crap which is taking the place at Blackpool

• July 25, 2014 at 15:53

Long shot...how about getting Marvin Sordell up front surely a bit of pace?or somebody like a Wildfred Zaha from a premiership club eager to learn their craft and get experience whilst helping us move up?

• July 25, 2014 at 16:42

@paulsanders22: yeah good one mate Sordell had us done for racism and only just signed for a PREMIER LEAGUE club last month. Zaha will not drop down to our league let alone our club and we couldn't afford even a fraction of his wages. Think before you type (if you can).

• July 25, 2014 at 21:52

@harryfabian: well he did say long shot lol.

But no we don't want the fish, we're looking for a player to strengthen the team.

• July 26, 2014 at 21:35

@paulsanders22: now I understand the meaning of "nobody likes us"

• July 25, 2014 at 15:54

What's happening with Briggs?

• July 25, 2014 at 16:03

@paulsanders22 Sordell has signed for Burnley - besides, I think there might be a bit of baggage there don't you?!
    Blackpool are in a mess, Miller and the goalkeeper Alnwick were supposed to have agreed to sign on Tuesday, Alnwick has now gone to Peterborough and Miller still hasn't put pen to paper, there's talk of the Blackpool manager walking out as they still only have 8 players registered!
    I think IH will definitely be looking to a Prem youngster/fringe player on loan if he can't make a permanent signing. I wouldn't mind Matt Smith but can't see it happening somehow.
    Clearly Ollie has a list, so I suppose we'll just have to wait and see...

• July 25, 2014 at 16:15

...thinking about the Blackpool situation makes me grateful for how well Millwall is being run, can you imagine how their fans are feeling right now? I wonder what the Blackpool equivalent of NAD looks like? I can't imagine they're too optimistic about next season somehow!

• July 25, 2014 at 16:38

Go get ya man IH..... on another note ticket for Fulham purchased. .... only allowed 1 though and they are not going on general sale either.

COYL!!!!!!!!!!

• July 25, 2014 at 16:41

Can't make Leeds though as I'm in Cornwall, thought about p****** my Mrs of by going down on the Sunday instead of the Friday but the rows wouldn't have been worth it.. or would they hmmmmm haha

COYL!!!!!

• July 26, 2014 at 09:49

@mfc1rob: you can buy them through the Fulham website

• July 25, 2014 at 16:40

Briggs and a quality striker should mean top half for us next season i am loving the way things are now being done at Millwall top notch Berylson and Ollie, everything seems to be taking shape right through the whole club, including facilities hope some of the youth players get a look in, Harris and Co. seem to be well on the ball in that department Cant wait for it all to start.....BRING IT ON.

IOIT

• July 25, 2014 at 16:44

Benik Afobe...he still has unfinished business at Millwall

• July 25, 2014 at 18:03

@eio: afobe doesn't score goals we need to splash the cash and get a proven goal scorer then we'll know the club mean business .

• July 26, 2014 at 11:18

@southstandview: I liked Afobe, he showed signs of being a quality player

• July 26, 2014 at 20:33

@glyngo: still not gonna score goals

• July 25, 2014 at 17:08

Probably get slated for this and I know we do need another striker but I think McDonald could still do a job for us given a chance.

• July 25, 2014 at 17:33

@lions2009: McDonald will do a job but just not as a centre forward. He'll play more this season but as the attacking midfielder behind the lone striker.

• July 25, 2014 at 18:26

@lions2009:
          Scott McDonald spent most of last season falling over and complaining.
          I know that due to his height it wanted the ball at his feet but when he did get it to his feet he did nothing with it.
          He also lacks pace and even Steve Morrison did a better job tackling back!!!
          My opinion is based on watching most of the home games last season.
          So he has a choice either he improves or he's gone.

• July 26, 2014 at 08:13

@MillwallGra: I agree Graham he never quite set the world on fire last season and yes we still a good striker up front. I Joyner my number lat night.

• July 25, 2014 at 17:39

@lions2009: With the new style of play, I think you could be correct 2009, if you really want to get slated agree with me as I think Josh Wright could have a very good season if he is given a run in the team.

• July 25, 2014 at 18:12

@lennie the lion: not sure he will get a run in the team but agree he is a decent player,can ping some lovely passes about,certainly not as bad as a lot of people think,definitely good back up.

• July 25, 2014 at 17:28

£1.13 million ....... ? Ill chip in for chris wood .... Anyone else?

• July 25, 2014 at 20:57

@MillwallGra: @woodzymfc: I'd chip in to give him a proper smashing, then sling him back to the Leicester reserves

• July 26, 2014 at 11:17

@woodzymfc: good shout about Chris wood he isn't gonna get the nod over ulloa and vardy plus nugent on the bench and then leicester bidded 7 million for Troy deeney, we know he's a greedy c*** but scored a lot off goals for us to be fair!

• July 25, 2014 at 18:27

What about Billy Sharp?

• July 25, 2014 at 19:11

@Dazi: Good shout.Will not get a look in at Southampton - LOANED out last season to Reading/Doncaster.Always thought that given a run in the first team will score goals.

• July 26, 2014 at 09:19

@Dazi: good mates with Andy Keogh tho and after the abuse he received when he left us I can't see him giving us a glowing reference... Agree tho good striker

• July 25, 2014 at 18:29

Get Bamford. End.

• July 25, 2014 at 18:31

Surely we can't let brentford do better business than us seeing they've got a lower budget and buying players like odubajo , hogan etc and now they are close to getting bamford , Ide love us to get someone like bamford or Mason or Wood or Lingard

• July 25, 2014 at 18:38

@boblion: Personally think Lingard is the best name mentioned so far that we could actually get. As for Bamford, I read that wolves are deciding on either to sign him or Wood

• July 25, 2014 at 20:59

@boblion: isn't lingard the c*** who dived for Brighton?

• July 25, 2014 at 18:53

I spoke to bircham the other day and he said attracting players to millwall is hard, we can't pay the wages other clubs can and most players don't like south East London. However I still remain optimistic and believe hollaway can work some sort of magic

• July 25, 2014 at 19:34

I know he's not a striker, but does anybody know what's going on with Mutumba?

• July 25, 2014 at 19:46

Get Peter Crouch.
    He'd be great for us !

• July 26, 2014 at 09:35

@Block 8: He wouldn't be good for our bank balance!

• July 25, 2014 at 19:55

Jordan Ibe?? (liverpool)

• July 25, 2014 at 22:10

Don't mind who he brings in...... it sounds like he has a couple of different options who have different styles.

Think we have the big lump that defenders are scared of (maybe)
    we have the goal scorer....(32 goals in 38 games)
    We have the speedy winger who is going whip it better then we have in the past(doesn't speak English)
    So who else to bring in...???

Being in NZ I haven't seen many of the names being battered around on here but think a Young 18 - 20 year old prem player will be a good fit for to bolster the squad.

Cant wait for start of the season as more championship games being shown on TV this year....

Bring on day 1 the season

• July 26, 2014 at 04:07

With Fred and gueye we have good young pacey wingers. Gregory is a gamble but here's hoping he'll be quality. But we do need a decent striker up front. As for this Blackpool mess why don't we use it to our advantage and loan some s*** and youngsters there as they'll get games and gets them off the books?

• July 26, 2014 at 13:02

I just had a quick look at the official site. There's pics from a training match played behind closed doors at The Den. To his credit, from the pictures at least, Fuller looks in excellent shape, scored a goal and if he stays fit will definitely be an asset. IH has a knack of getting that extra bit out of players, I think Taylor-Fletcher at Blackpool was a good example.
    Also saw an interview with Scott McDonald who admitted that he didn't like the way IH wanted him to play when he arrived (just behind the front two) and pretty much admitted that Garvan was brought in to do the job instead. Says now that he's totally convinced by the new way of playing and enjoying it.
    For all the players Lomas signed, it appears, for whatever reason, he didn't get anywhere near the best out of them, under IH the likes of McDonald, Chaplow, Bailey and Martin could be like new signings for us.
    Still need that new striker though, last piece of the jigsaw - for now at least. We don't want to make the same mistake as Lomas and blow all of our limited budget in July and not be able to add or fine tune the squad through the season.

• July 26, 2014 at 20:49

I see we missed out on Drogba.

• July 26, 2014 at 21:17

I think this is a tougher league this year in terms of depth - there might not be a Leicester that will dominate but there doesn't look like many weak teams - Blackpool maybe Rotherham - all the other teams have grounds to be a bit confident (perhaps not Leeds) it is a hard call this year - one of those years where consistency is very important - win those tight games - I hope as supporters we are patient - we have to let IH play a bit defensively - I think we have to squad to be solid - keep the goals down compared to last year - if we have to win 1-0 at home so be it

• July 27, 2014 at 11:08

@timchimes: Great posts Tim, I'm feeling good about the season ahead - just it terms of organization if anything - because although we were in a relegation fight, a lot of the time it was down to fine margins. Ollie now has time to organize - and getting them playing his way, without some of the confusion which cost us games.
      I'm with you on letting IH play more defensively - hopefully the attacking side of things will naturally come together, as he's more of an attack minded manager - but I think all of us would like us to be a side that is hard to beat and dogged defensively (plus, my ticker needs a break after last season!).
      We need the opposition to feel worried - and know it's going to be tough day whenever they play us - it'd be nice to make the den a fortress again as well.. COYL.
      p.s. nice to see leeds struggling!

• July 26, 2014 at 21:36

FROM THE LEEDS FORUM _ MAKES YOU FEEL GOOD TO BE ALIVE

Morison & today's performance
    Now I am no massive fan of Morison, but what the f ook was he doing playing left midfield, he's a CF for gods sake. Wacky day is clueless and has no idea how to set a team up. Having said that Morison was ****e and was clearly not interested and was asking to be taken off. The abuse she was given by the. A fans standing at him was not good and I for one was stood there with a grimace as one of our own was tormented for all to hear.

I think we could be in real bother with only 2 weeks to Millwall, we have nothing, absolutely nothing up front and please god that Souleman fella does not play, he is not a footballer and ****e is doing him a favour.

I thought Brerardi looked a quality player and should start, and I would like to see Bianchi get more game time.

Other than that a right shower again with Chesterfield scoring from open play and playing good stuff and us relying on penalties to save face. Going forward we offered nothing

• July 27, 2014 at 11:27

I've just seen that Crewe striker Mathias Pogba was withdrawn from their friendly at Wolves because of interest from an unnamed club. Don't know much about him but can imagine that if we do sign a striker it will be a bit out of the blue like this as I think IH likes to play the media and set up a few smoke screens that allow him to do the real deals in private. Not saying it's us signing Pogba, just made me think.

• July 27, 2014 at 15:05

@mervpayne: When I saw this I was thinking exactly the same. He is 23 and 6ft 3inches tall and a regular scorer in the lower divisions. Unfortunately when I tried to get further information it is apparently an overseas club who are interested in him.

• July 27, 2014 at 15:10

I hit dislike by mistake....still don't think we need it.

• July 27, 2014 at 15:27

@glyngo: I personally hate this dislike button. To me, if you don't like it then don't click on 'like'. Next thing we'll have is a 'not sure' button.

• July 27, 2014 at 17:49

@NICKOLA: ha! It's just a matter of time mate. Would help if I used correctly as well

• July 28, 2014 at 01:35

@glyngo: How funny. I accidently disliked your post about Wright a few days ago. Us over 40s are not so handy with mobile scrolling. Been feeling bad about it ever since. Sorry, mate.

• July 28, 2014 at 08:40

@Canterbury pilgrim: Geezer, accidently disliked someone's comment once. I am a big fan of this option, but if the two options could be spaced further apart even better.

• July 27, 2014 at 20:12

I can't help but feel that I have experienced this optimism previously.

I really hope my optimism is well found, but alas undortunately I'm a realist where Millwall are concerned.

I like what IH is doing and the way berylson backs his managers. But in all honesty, before the season starts, I will gladly take mid table mediocrity.

Is anyone out there expecting much more?

• July 27, 2014 at 20:56

@bonnie1272: mid table is about it for me as well mate with our forwards .

• July 27, 2014 at 21:22

@southstandview: I too would be happy with mid table and not spending all the season in a relegation fight like we have for the last 2 years. Like you say lack of goals is going to be our main problem unless IH signs a more prolific striker than the ones we already have before the start of the season. Although Gregory might surprise us by bringing his goal scoring record into the Championship.

• July 27, 2014 at 21:42

@denslions: true mate lets hope Gregory can do the business

• July 27, 2014 at 22:49

I hear we're interested in mumba mpommybenga from vp brondenberg in sweden , he scored 700 goals in swaziland but had an argument with his manager, since then he's played 3 games in sweden in the last 16 years, ive seen a video of him he looks good, scored from 40 yards with the back of his head .