bestkinky

Fuller wants to be Millwall's main man up front next season

RICARDO Fuller wants to be Millwall's main man next season.

The Jamaican striker, who signed a one-year contract at The Den last week, has set his sights on being the Lions' top scorer.

Fuller turns 35 later this year but insists he is still the same player that scored 43 goals in 182 appearances for Stoke.

"My game hasn't changed because the fire still burns inside me," Fuller told the Southwark News.

"I still get angry when I lose or when I miss a chance. That tells me I'm still the same player.

"I'm still aggressive, strong and pacey even though I’m 34. Sometimes I'm too quick for my own good and I pull a hamstring because I'm trying to move too fast.

"But it's good when I see those signs because it tells me I've still got plenty left in the tank.

"Hopefully I can prove that with Millwall. You evolve as a player – the older you get, the more experienced you get and the wiser you become.

"Of course I've evolved as a player but the fire still burns."

Fuller added: "I like to be the focal point of attacks.

"I've been the leading goalscorer at all of my former clubs and, touch wood, that will be the case again at Millwall.

"I’ve always had that ambition – to score goals and be the focal point. If I can get the service then I’m confident the goals will come for me.

"I'm still going to create goals for myself and for the team because I know how to score, how to create and how to make life difficult for other teams.

"I want to play against every centre half as if there were four of me – that’s who I am."

43 thoughts on “Fuller wants to be Millwall's main man up front next season

• July 24, 2014 at 10:16

Main man up front.ha ha ha ha ha ha

• July 24, 2014 at 10:53

I have serious doubts about Fuller, but if he really has that ambition then it can only mean that he will try, more than could be said for some of our other loanees in recent years.

• July 24, 2014 at 11:54

@Jim28: what a surprise

• July 24, 2014 at 12:55

@Jim28: it's common knowledge IH is after a main striker and Fuller is a squad player (who in my opinion can make a contribution). Lay off the feller at lest until he has played a game..

• July 24, 2014 at 10:21

Making the right noises but surely his age has caught up with him......

• July 24, 2014 at 10:24

@TheBermondseyBomber: leading scorer at all his previous clubs ? 6 goals in 27 games for Blackpool , 5 goals in 31 games for Charlton , what planet is he on ?

• July 24, 2014 at 11:03

@southstandview: haha!! his statement (whilst true) is a bit misleading with them stats!

• July 24, 2014 at 16:34

@southstandview: Well what do you expect him to say? "Really, I'm no more than a squad player and I don't score too many goals. At by last couple of clubs I've been a bit disappointing". That would go down well, wouldn't it. Get real. No players get to this level in sport without believing in their ability.

• July 24, 2014 at 16:26

@TheBermondseyBomber: if it's his age that's the problem then why is it ok to have Tim Cahill. He is 34 aswell. IMO Give the guy a chance before we abuse him

• July 24, 2014 at 10:27

You're in for a long angry season then

• July 24, 2014 at 10:29

Sorry cannot see it.Just words.
    As far as I am concerned we need to sign another striker (potential top scorer).

• July 24, 2014 at 10:39

'Still the same striker that scored 43 goals in 182 appearances for Stoke' He says it as if it's something to be proud of!

• July 25, 2014 at 08:47

@MFCTOMMY:
      Thick as s*** comment. How many goals have you scored in professional football? He was a very good player at Stoke. You need to learn your football.

• July 24, 2014 at 10:41

Just hope this does not happend , has gone past it now , a super sub will be better

• July 24, 2014 at 10:41

A lot of negativity lads? Good frame of mind for fuller to be in, if he wants to be the main man hell have to get goals and show good performances, surely that's what we wanna see ain't it?

• July 24, 2014 at 18:06

@G_LION_HEART: firstly i have to agree with you.we all would love to see it happen.but this fuller we'll talking about .. lion lets hope for the best

• July 24, 2014 at 10:49

F*** sake, hurry up with the new signings, I was hoping aldo was holding back and was gonna drop some good stories today!... HURRY UP WALL!!!

• July 24, 2014 at 10:50

Fuller s***. I think Ians got this one spectacularly wrong. Kevin Phillips is the yardstick and tricky ricky could not lace his boots

• July 24, 2014 at 10:54

If he was saying negative things he would be slagged off, so give the bloke a chance to see what he can do before we make any judgment. Sometimes, just sometimes things can surprise you in football, after all how many people this time last year would have had Martyn Woolford for top scorer last season??

• July 24, 2014 at 10:56

@harry2310: woolford will probably be top scorer this season again with what we have up front !

• July 24, 2014 at 11:04

I honestly don't know what some people want, He's been asked questions by the press, comes out with positive answers and wants to put his all in and still gets a hammering!! He hasn't kicked a ball yet, Ollies obviously got him up and buzzing so lets back him and then judge him at the end of season.
    Good on ya Ricardo, COYL

• July 24, 2014 at 11:18

@DirtyDen: so he wants to be the focal point of attacks..be careful wot you ask for ricky

• July 24, 2014 at 12:24

@DirtyDen: fuller is just trotting out what the fans want to hear , some people fall for it , others take it for what it is , hot air !

• July 24, 2014 at 20:29

@southstandview:
        Yep he is, but like I said he's interviewed by the press and he's putting out the right vibes as long as he's Millwall like I'm Millwall I don't care!!! Like I say I'l judge him at the end of the season and I'l be backing him like any other in the shirt down The Den

• July 24, 2014 at 11:35

I've got to say that I love this post. Why do I love it, well while Fuller (or full of) tries to hype himself to the hilt, it takes the pressure off of Gregory who I have great hopes for this season. COYL!

• July 24, 2014 at 12:40

"Sometimes I'm too quick for my own good and I pull a hamstring because I'm trying to move too fast".
    Another one for the treatment table soon enough then.

• July 24, 2014 at 12:48

@NICKOLA: Yeah I picked up on that too, get the excuses in nice and early, but I hope he proves the doubters wrong and bangs in 15 plus, let's get behind anyone that pulls our shirt on until they give us good reason not to.
      COME ON YOU LIONS

• July 24, 2014 at 18:19

@NICKOLA: dont forget he wants to be the size of 4 cb's.another shittu then

• July 25, 2014 at 08:51

@Jim28:
        You are an angry miserable bloke. Do one.

• July 24, 2014 at 12:42

fuller sh*t????

• July 24, 2014 at 12:48

Talk is cheap. We had this last season with practically every player telling us what a great season we're gonna have and look what happened. Just keep your mouth shut & impress us!

• July 24, 2014 at 13:05

Well fuller it will not be hard to beat last year and if you can't do that you should be in div 1 lol but good luck to you

• July 24, 2014 at 13:08

Unfortunately for Fuller most of us on here are disappointed that he has been signed for us. After all his recent statistics and his age make him an ideal replacement for some of the wage grabbers we have seen in the last 2 seasons. We all hoped that signings such as these were a thing of the past. Yes he is trying to be positive but we have all heard these statements before. He will be judged by his performance on the pitch, however, his career appears to be in steady decline. Continuing the downward trend it could be 1 goal in 7 games or worst. I am afraid if that is the return we could be in for a repeat of last season.

• July 24, 2014 at 13:09

Legend says that fuller walked among the dinosaurs.

• July 24, 2014 at 13:24

@Dazi: Can confirm that. Saw him and Shittu in Lewisham yesterday.

• July 24, 2014 at 13:09

I will happy go on record and say, given a fair chance Fuller will be just the thing up front for us. Every time I have seen him play against us he has done well, it is alright having younger players like Fred and Gregory running about but you do need experience heads out there and I personally think that with Ricardo on the pitch, up front, we will actually get more out of the other forwards so as a team overall it will be an advantage. Hope I am right as I hope most of you hope so too. Please do not s*** our players off before a ball has been kicked, can we start by thinking they will do the very best for the club and give them every chance to prove us right instead of starting from they are useless position. If we all accept Ollie and the team know what they are doing better than someone like myself, who is a retired car mechanic, if they are right great and ‘rocking all over the world’ will be played a lot more than it was last year, if not then we have every right to criticise but not before they have kicked a ball in anger surely.
    He was asked the question and he came out with the reply that every other footballer comes out with in the same situation but he knows as much as we do it is on the pitch the real talking gets done.

• July 24, 2014 at 21:31

@lennie the lion: quite right - some comments on here are plain stupid - as if all players play exactly the same in every team they play in - fuller has strengths and weaknesses like all players and if we play to his strengths we will see him contribute to the team - we are not going to sign a forward who has proved himself recently with lots of goals at this level so forget it - so we have to go with lower league players and ones like Fuller who have done it in the past and recapture some of that skill and commitment - ii really don't know who people are waiting for us to sign , James Rodriguez has gone

• July 24, 2014 at 13:11

New season just over 2 weeks away and no sign of this additional striker. See that O'Grady went to Brighton and Miller to Blackpool. Either of them would have been worth a try. Also, everything seems to have gone quiet on Gueye and Briggs. Are we going to sign them or are they still on trial? Surely we must know by now if we want them or not At 24 and 23 I thought they would have been good additions to the squad. If we hesitate much longer someone else will sign them.

• July 24, 2014 at 15:13

@denslions: Ismail Miller has NOT signed for Blackpool yet, he has stalled on signing because of all the uncertainty going on around the club.... So is still up for grabs and think he could do a job for us.

I'm just hoping we sign Gueye and Briggs, would love us to sign 1 more winger and then a striker as well, but can imagine us waiting until the season has already started before we sign another striker!

• July 24, 2014 at 16:52

Apparently we're one of three clubs looking at Enda Stevens, a left back at Villa.
    Stevens has Football league experience having made two appearances for Notts County in 2013 in a loan spell, and then making 13 appearances for Doncaster on loan last season.

"The 6ft defender is not thought to be in Paul Lambert’s plans for the upcoming Premier League campaign, so a move to the second tier is an option.
    Rotherham, Sheffield United and Millwall are all looking for extra cover for their backlines before the start of the season on August 9th, and are eyeing a move for the Republic of Ireland under-21".

• July 24, 2014 at 20:01

@NICKOLA: I hope Edna can double as a CF as it doesn't look like we are going to get one.

• July 24, 2014 at 17:24

We just have to wait and see,he might score 20 or 0 so lets get behind the geezer and give him a chance. least he didn't play for wet spam.

• July 24, 2014 at 18:13

You've had a long and fruitful career in a dream job so just go out and justify your wages, whatever they may be. It's not too much to ask.