bestkinky

Gregory impresses Millwall boss with Aldershot performance

SUMMER signing Lee Gregory scored his first goal in a Millwall shirt in a behind-closed-doors friendly against Aldershot on Tuesday.

And Lions boss Ian Holloway says he has been impressed with the striker since his arrival from Halifax Town in a £250,000-deal last month.

Gregory tapped in from close range after Jermaine Easter's cut-back to open his Lions account – albeit in a training ground game.

"It's great for him to get off the mark," Holloway said.

"If that game had been at Aldershot's ground like it should have been, he would have scored for Millwall – so he has done now as far as I'm concerned.

"He's looked like scoring and now he's got a goal.

"We missed having a striker over the top last year – a predator on the last man. Lee's got good lexapro generic ok link up play and he's better in the air than I thought he was.

"He's played that lone role quite a bit for Halifax and scored 32 goals in one season.

"I'm delighted with how he's fitted in physically because he was previously training twice a week and so that was a risk. But he's taken to it like a duck to water to be honest."

Scott McDonald and Josh Wright were also on target as Millwall claimed a 3-1 victory.

"There looks to be an understanding growing between the forwards," Holloway added. "We could have scored more goals in the end.

"It was a successful day – everyone got 90 minutes under their belts and I was pleased with how we performed. I was delighted that McDonald scored as well to get him off the mark."

35 thoughts on “Gregory impresses Millwall boss with Aldershot performance

• July 23, 2014 at 10:27

Went to both Dartford and Stevenage and liked what I saw of Gregory. Looked lively in and around the box, in the end of the day the only way he is going to score is if the service is provided for him which is why IH is looking at explosive wingers with tonnes of pace as all Gregory needs to do is be in the right place at the right time which he has a good knack of doing. In the end of the day goal scorers are goal scorers no matter what league they are playing in.

Another standout for me this preseason though has to be Williams in the middle, he is just such a gifted footballer. loves getting on the ball and can do the simple stuff as well as pinging it 50 yards.. Him and Bailey will be a formidable partnership and hopefully both stay injury free.

Think the team takes care of itself now and I think we need 2 wingers with pace, 1 for each side then perhaps look for a young striker on loan from the Premier League then I would be very happy with our business for the summer.

Can't wait for Leeds then Fulham to follow after.. COME ON YOU LIONS!

• July 23, 2014 at 12:06

@Omer Ronayne: Omer on reading your post,i thought it was well put and i could not see any thing to dislike about it,,so it worries me to see 3 people actually disliked it,so i ask those 3 people to answer your post saying what they disliked about it,and what do they want from MFC,bearing in mind the gates we get and the amount of money the club has to spend.
      As i said earlier good post Omer

• July 23, 2014 at 12:38

@jim1222: I agree it's a brilliant post! The only problem I see (which is NOT a reason for disliking it unless you get wound up by grammatical errors) with the whole post is - "in the end of the day" because it's "AT the end of the day"

• July 24, 2014 at 01:15

@jim1222: the whole like dislike option is b******* anyway. For the record the post was fine.

• July 23, 2014 at 10:33

Probably looking at bringing in one winger and one forward with the possibility of cover for left back.
    Not a bad bit of trading during the break. Feel positive we'll finish in the top half this season.

• July 23, 2014 at 10:35

I'd like to see us make a loan move for Bamford at chelsea, mourinho said the other day he's looking to load him with the championship looking likely, I hear wolves are interested in him and also Chris wood

• July 23, 2014 at 10:40

First Neil Harris, then Steve Morrison, now Lee Gregory forwards who came from non league to MFC. Reckon this lads gonna be as good as the other two !!

• July 23, 2014 at 10:43

Great news that he’s scored albeit in a training ground friendly. What’s happening with this Martin Mutumba bloke? I thought he was supposed to have featured in this game but he wasn’t even on the team sheet.
    Good bits of info on Monday from NatD but this is the only thing since. Surely, something must be happening transfer wise?

• July 23, 2014 at 10:46

@REAL Supporter: I agree, if like to see a bit more on the transfer front, Brentford have just signed another striker

• July 23, 2014 at 13:09

@jim1222: @millwall-1988: still think we need a proven scorer cos if Gregory can't step up and we have to rely on , fuller , Easter and McDonald then we are gonna be in trouble .

• July 23, 2014 at 12:15

@REAL Supporter: Mutumba played for the under 21s ,IH more than likely wanted to see how he performed against the senior team so as to get a better idea of his capabilities.
      If IH had played Mutumba against the under 21s he would have had an easier time.

• July 23, 2014 at 12:24

@jim1222: Yeah Jim, I've just seen that. Totally agree as to why he played against the senior lot.
        Also, I agree with your reply to Omar. A good post and yet people have voted against it . . . bizarre! Perhaps, this 'Dislike' button isn't such a good idea.

• July 23, 2014 at 10:54

Who cares

• July 23, 2014 at 14:38

@bordersarebest0170: we all care, why wouldn't we? Brentford have just come up and have far outspent us with in all fairness some decent players, if we don't invest properly then we will have the same repeat of last season and we will end up getting left behind whilst other clubs are pushing on, I don't want us to go and spend 2 million but if we sign these 2 wingers we still need a decent proven striker which we currently don't have, so if you don't care about what other clubs are doing around us, you clearly haven't got a clue

• July 23, 2014 at 14:45

@millwall-1988: agree mate our forward line still looks like the weakest part of our squad .

• July 23, 2014 at 10:59

11 players played the aldershot game and got 90 mins all the rest was involved in a training match including mutumba and hopefully gueye and briggs. Fingers crossed for some transfer news soon id love to sign all 3 of these our squad really would start to have some decent shape to it then

• July 23, 2014 at 11:20

Well done lee gregory for getting of the mark, you scored 32 goals last season don't worrie mate we know it was for halifax, 31 goals this season will do us.

• July 23, 2014 at 15:24

@foxy: Oh yeah, 31 goals would be lovely! Saying that though - after last seasons goal tally, I'd be more than happy with 15!
      Well done to Lee, good to get off the mark - erases any thoughts of curses! COYL.

• July 23, 2014 at 11:20

Hi Omar As a former Liverpool, Barcelona, Real Madrid and Lewisham Athletic striker myself, it's true if you can score you can score.

• July 23, 2014 at 15:49

@terry the turk lion: Good point Terry - When you've got the kind of goal scoring experience you & I have - we know a striker when we see one...
      Reminds me of the time I set up Carlos Alberto in the world cup final - that bloke knew how to shoot..... taught him everything he knows of course - but I'm not one to brag.............. 😉

• July 23, 2014 at 12:25

One thing for certain is,that we have to give this lad time to adjust no matter what.
    I remember Tommy Docherty the then manager of chelsea saying to an up and coming star you have a run of 9 games to prove your self no matter what, that player was peter osgood,and i think we have to give this lad a similar chance he is a natural goal scorer,the only question mark i have about him is will he be able to pick up the pace of the championship.We as fans have to give him good support if he find's it difficult at first.

• July 23, 2014 at 19:59

@jim1222: Morison had a nightmare when he first joined and came through eventually, so I agree, give the lad a chance. I will have a word with myself if I get a bit down if he has a couple of mares!!!!

• July 23, 2014 at 12:47

osgood came thru dave sexton surely

• July 23, 2014 at 12:54

sorry i'm not sure now, the old brain sometimes forg.....................er um why are you telling me the window cleaner has .....er.....ah.....yeah when you get to my ag..........I know we signed whats his name P...PELE.........gordon hill from his dad benny................HELP ME I'M MELTINGGGGGG.
    WTF have I just,,,,,oh forget it.

• July 23, 2014 at 14:12

I think we should look at signing Gueye, Briggs and possibly that Ugandan winger. That would be enough for me. Couple of wingers, and some more back up across the back four is what we need in my opinion. Could possibly look at signing a new Number 2 goalkeeper as well, as Bywater is f****** durge!

• July 23, 2014 at 14:32

Just for the record, I wrote " WHO CARES, ""which was a reply to MILLWALL 88 who wrote " BRENTFORD have just signed another striker, "but other peoples post's appear between , so to REALSUPPORTER, JIM1222, SOUTHSTANDVIEW, sorry, it wasn't an answer to any of your posts, OOOOPS

• July 24, 2014 at 01:39

@bordersarebest0170: no problem, i know you sing from the same hymn book as me,
      I think its callad Lady Chatterleys Lover. lol

• July 23, 2014 at 14:35

No worries Borders.

• July 23, 2014 at 14:37

@ TERRY THE TURK, WOW, just read your earlier post where you give a list of the teams you have played for, I am very impressed, you actually played for LEWISHAM ATHLETIC, WOW

• July 24, 2014 at 12:33

@bordersarebest0170: Yes I did and I am happy to see that you are Impressed, I have to say it was the highlight of my footballing career, the stories I could tell but we need to protect the innocent.

• July 23, 2014 at 22:50

I have to say I've got a feeling about this boy Gregory, he's an unknown at this level but make no mistake in knows where the back of the net is. When you look at the frontline its quite varied and believe me you speak to any Stoke fan ( I know 5) or go on any of their forums they can't speak highly enough of Fuller and think he's still got a lot to offer at a club like ours, in the respect we're similar in status and passionate in the ground.
    We have to be realistic with our budget but with the two wingers we've got over for trials it look like Ollie see's that we weren't creating enough last year, no matter who was upfront the service was shocking!!
    I still think the gaffer will spring a surprise yet and bring another in but if its just Gueye and Mutumba I'l take that because more service means more goals.
    Better standard of football and mid table safety and I'm happy anything above is a bonus.
    Can't wait for it all to start now.
    COYL

• July 24, 2014 at 01:45

@DirtyDen: Like you Den i am optimistic ,Fuller and gregory have to be given a chance to gel , you are right the service to the forward's has to improve this season,if we get just one of the two winger's i think it will.

• July 24, 2014 at 15:36

@MILLWALL1998: I care about who MILLWALL buy, so as I said earlier, if you wanna worry about who brentford buy then you worry, cos I don't give a s*** about brentford. You ain't got a clue mate

• July 24, 2014 at 15:43

@bordersarebest0170: haha if you don't worry about other clubs investing in decent players then you are the clueless one, I'm not worried about arsenal,Chelsea or Tottenham because we won't be playing them twice in a season but when a team just promoted into our league invest better than us yes I'm concerned because really Brentford should be a team we will beat but not investing in another striker will be a mistake.