bestkinky

Millwall striker Marquis twists his ankle in training game

MILLWALL are waiting to hear whether John Marquis faces a spell on the sidelines after he twisted his ankle in an inter-squad friendly.

Marquis played for a first team XI against the club's U21 side at Calmont Road on Tuesday morning.

But after opening the scoring, the striker then had to be taken off with a nasty-looking injury before being sent for a scan.

Boss Ian Holloway said: "John rolled his ankle which is bad news.

"He went over on it quite badly and we had to get him off instantly. He'd already scored in the game and it was a shame for him because I thought he played really well."

Jimmy Abdou scored the other goal in a 2-0 win for the senior side.

Trialist Martin Mutumba featured for the U21s.

"Millwall won 2-0 – so I'm not sure whether I'm celebrating unbeaten in 12 or a first defeat in 12," Holloway joked.

"But I would suggest the right team won this time because it was the younger ones who lost. It was a hard-fought game.

"I would expect the first team to beat to the U21s but it was a fantastic contest."

29 thoughts on “Millwall striker Marquis twists his ankle in training game

• July 23, 2014 at 11:15

just like most things olli has done, win win situation for Millwall FC.
    come on you lions

• July 23, 2014 at 11:19

@terry the turk lion: I understand everyones viewpoint on him as he isn't the greatest player in our squad and is destined for League one or two.. But people celebrating him being injured are just idiots! He runs his heart out everytime he is in a Wall shirt and this is the year that will make or break his career.. Hope it isn't serious John!

• July 23, 2014 at 11:26

@Omer Ronayne: well said Omar George graham didn't think teddy was not good enough or Richard Sadlier wasn't either but they both come good who I didn't rate at first but Marquis is a Millwall player who will always get my backing .

• July 23, 2014 at 11:27

@Omer Ronayne: I hope that you did not misunderstand me, I was in any way commenting on JM's injury, you are right the boy runs his nuts off, he try's hard unlike some of the clowns and wage bandits that we had last season, give 11 JM's for effort and commitment over any of those vultures.

• July 23, 2014 at 11:32

@terry the turk lion: glad to see you have clarified your comments. John Marquis scored hat loads as a youth player, and as someone posted on the other page, if you can score you can score. He needs the service and the confidence, then the goals will come, I am sure of it. Having said that, this season is definitely last chance saloon!

• July 23, 2014 at 11:47

Well I just wanna know what IH thinks of Mutumba. Is he impressed with him or not & will he be given time against opposition in another friendly before Mallorca to possibly earn a contract? Fans love wingers & I'm sure he would terrorise defenders in the Championship least of all because he is an unknown quantity. Come on IH get us properly excited!

• July 23, 2014 at 15:55

@NO1LIKESUS: Sorry maybe I am a bit out of touch but who is Martin Mutumba?

• July 24, 2014 at 10:08

@Peckhamlad: he's the winger from Sweden who we are looking at. Played for Uganda as well, check the posts from earlier this week.

• July 23, 2014 at 12:14

I hope its not a serious injury for John Marquis. I'm hopeful that, under Ian Holloway's leadership, Marquis will have a good season banging in a few goals for the first team.

• July 23, 2014 at 12:24

I am gutted for you Marquis.
    Sounds like ligament damage to me and could be a couple of months.
    I really think you have something about you and given a run of games and good service you can be a good striker for us.
    Considering the fact that he is a local lad who supports our club I am appalled at the lack of encouragement that he receives from large sections of our fans.
    Get well soon Johnny boy.

• July 23, 2014 at 12:36

U21 game or not Abdou has been on the scoresheet a few times in pre season

• July 23, 2014 at 14:15

Not the two goalscorers i would have predicted to score to be honest! Hahaa

• July 23, 2014 at 14:59

He's just announced on Twitter that scan revealed injury not as bad as feared, few weeks rather than months apparently

• July 23, 2014 at 15:17

That's bad timing, just as preseason is reaching a crescendo and he gets an injury. Gutted for the lad.

• July 23, 2014 at 18:17

i wouldn't wish an injury on any of our players but he needs to step up this year big time!!! if ollie can't get the best outta him then it's time to say bye bye. he has had a lot of chances here and never cut the mustard! it's now or never for him this season.

• July 23, 2014 at 20:42

@steveomfc5: Agree with you Steve, Bad luck for him to get a knock just before the start of the season... Never really got going for us - then just when he starts showing some spark - he gets set back another few weeks... gotta say I'm a bit worried for the lad.

Now that we have another striker out on the touch line and Fuller is apparently a week behind in fitness - would really like to know if Ollie has any other strikers in mind to bring in... or if the Smith deal is somehow still a go....?? Be nice to see us smash the piggy bank to make our front line complete... If we added someone of Smiths caliber to that front line - we could be a right handful. Also, some will disagree - but I wouldn't have minded Morro alongside Fuller and/or Gregory....
      p.s. Just a thought - is it possible that IH is satisfied with the number of strikers we have?? I for one hope not.... but possible??

• July 23, 2014 at 23:49

@Luke ColdBlow10: yeah he really needs to up it now! but we will see mate if he can do it this year? i have heard that we definitely are in the market for 2 wingers and another striker plus briggs as well to sign end of this week so i have heard! but we will see what happens??? i can see us trying for chris woods, ollie really likes him and leicester have said he is availble to offers as of monday just gone. i'd have him along side gregory that could be a 35/40 goal partnership right there. i can see gregory being a massive hit down the den i really can.

• July 23, 2014 at 18:53

ON ANOTHER NOTE

does anyone know if you can pay on the day against Mallorca?

• July 23, 2014 at 19:56

@bonnie1272: Reckon most people will pay on the day bonnie.... I will be!

• July 23, 2014 at 20:58

@Luke ColdBlow10: me too, also convinced some non Millwall mates to come along for Friday night football

• July 23, 2014 at 21:04

Regarding this 'dislike' button, it doesn't really tell you much as often people don't leave an explanation after they have voted. I'm interested in other peoples opinions, not if mine are popular...

• July 23, 2014 at 23:24

@glyngo: Haha true! =
      "Oh, you didn't like my comment?"
      "NO!"
      "Why?"
      and.............. DISCUSS!
      "Don't be shy, YOU MIGHT HAVE A POINT!"

• July 24, 2014 at 07:59

@glyngo: I think that all this does is give fans of others teams like Palarse, the Anoraks and the Hamsters a chance to diss a perfectly good Millwall post. I noticed when the subject about trying to get Matt Smith from Leeds was posted on here the other week the amount of 'Dislikes' seemed quite extraordinary. I can only imagine that there were a lot of Leeds fans watching this site at that time. Obviously, there will always be someone who will disagree and that's good if they put their opinion but there will always be someone who will hit the 'Dislike' button just for the sake of it.

• July 24, 2014 at 10:12

@REAL Supporter: I was coming to a similar conclusion mate. Also being a right proper Big-Head I can't stand it if people dislike me!

• July 23, 2014 at 22:11

J M done his ankle, No drama

• July 24, 2014 at 00:44

@mewall62: jimmy and easter are looking srong in all of the pre.season..and now mcd is coming good.if these players are doing it. God help leeds

• July 24, 2014 at 10:17

If you think about JM hasn't really had much of a chance at our club. Under KJ, who I have total respect for, he had a manager that didn't have a great record in developing youth team players. Whenever the situation was pressured KJ would opt for experience over youth, which is understandable, but the trouble for JM was that we have struggled in the championship for the last few seasons, so opportunities were scarce. Add onto that some untimely injuries and I don't think he has had much of a run at all. I reckon IH will determine if this lad can be developed, he is too you to give up in just yet.