bestkinky

Millwall midfielder hoping fitness work will pay dividends

MILLWALL midfielder Nicky Bailey expects to come back fitter and stronger next season after following a strict fitness regime over the summer.

Bailey recovered from a slipped disc to make an impressive finish to the 2013-14 campaign but says he is determined to be in even better shape over the coming year.

"I have been trying a lot harder over the course of the summer to get in shape and hopefully I'll reap the benefits of that when the season starts," Bailey said.

"Last year I didn't have much of a pre-season and I was injured as well so it was hard to get going. This year I've got no excuses.

"I had a freak injury. It was annoying but, touch wood, hopefully I'll play a lot more games this year.

"When I saw the specialist in London he said I had a few issues with my back so I've got keep on top of things and look after myself."

Boss Ian Holloway has said that Bailey is one of the names under consideration for the Lions captaincy – and the 30-year-old is open to taking the armband.

He added: "I don't really do social media but people have been telling me about what's been said. If the gaffer picks me then I'll be happy to do it.

"If not, there are a lot of other lads who want to be captain as well. I'm sure whoever gets it will do a good job.

"I'll always talk to the rest of the team – it's just the way that I play – so to be captain would be an added bonus."

Bailey scored the opening goal in Saturday's 2-2 friendly draw with Stevenage – just moments after he was on the end of a crunching tackle that cut open his shin.

"The referee said it wasn't a foul so I lost my head once I saw the gash, but it's okay now," Bailey said.

"It was a big game for them so they were always going to come out all guns blazing.

"I've been in the position before playing against higher-level opposition and you want to do well.

"But I didn't really expect that kind of tackle and I lost my head for a bit.

"The physio asked me to come off but we were only playing 45 minutes each and it's important to get fit.

"The Dartford game last week was a shock to the system for a few of us but we'll get a lot fitter with the more games we play.

"Ollie knows what he's doing and he's got a good team behind him. We're listening to everything he says and he's working us hard."

30 thoughts on “Millwall midfielder hoping fitness work will pay dividends

• July 21, 2014 at 14:15

I would give him the armband, and he would also be my first name on the team sheet

• July 21, 2014 at 14:23

@Windy: I absolutely agree about Bailey having the captains job! would definitely have him in the team week in, week out!

• July 21, 2014 at 14:50

@Bradders: Aldo, I like how you have edited Windy's post to take out the part where he was sla**ing off Nicky Bailey's wife.... you can edit my post now as it has been edited 🙂

• July 21, 2014 at 16:54

@Bradders: Nothing strange about that observation at all. Also, there was nothing controversial about my post and nothing that isn't already in the public domain so I don't know why my post was edited. Aldo, can you explain?

• July 21, 2014 at 17:30

@Windy: Players have complained directly to me before about their family members being discussed on the comments section. Your original post was also quite personal. Saves me and the website a lot of potential grief to delete comments like this.

• July 21, 2014 at 23:18

@Alex Aldridge: will there be a prediction league this season - keep looking and seeing updated message?

• July 22, 2014 at 11:04

@Alex Aldridge: OK, It wasn't meant to offend. Just an observation.

• July 21, 2014 at 21:09

@Windy: if you've got a problem with Nicky Baileys wife why don't you take it up with him face to face mate .

• July 22, 2014 at 11:07

@southstandview: No Problem, but you didn't see what I wrote. Old "Gary Get Involved" over here!!!

• July 22, 2014 at 12:25

@southstandview: like I said take it up with Bailey and it don't matter what you wrote,this site is about millwall , the players and the fans , not about having a pop about their wives .

• July 23, 2014 at 13:33

@southstandview: I saw what he put hence my comments back to Windy (which were edited by Aldo) there was no need for it Windy and Alex saw it was personal as well.... wind it in!

• July 21, 2014 at 14:21

I think he is a mix of Uncle Les and Daddy Hurlock, he would make a great Captain .

• July 21, 2014 at 14:24

Natural born leader.
    A millwall captain if ever I saw one.

• July 21, 2014 at 16:06

definitely bailey for captain. if not him forde or dunne!

• July 21, 2014 at 16:29

@steveomfc5: so no pressure then..but if he's getting stronger & fitter he can take it.. Ps i see fulham has send another 1000 tickets

• July 21, 2014 at 16:42

I was not convince when we signed Bailey, but since his return to the team he has been every bit the Millwall midfielder. I was wrong and he is good captain material.

• July 21, 2014 at 18:01

Good player for 60 mins, but his performance level falls off a cliff after that and he loses his head too often. He has been that way his entire career.

Might be the best organiser in the squad, but not a viable captain until he proves he can last 90 mins.

• July 21, 2014 at 18:52

@Garrick.:i thik your find bailey was good for 8 games last season..fans have voted merely on the last 8..

• July 21, 2014 at 20:57

Hopefully the players are fitter and more hungry than last season, we had a disastrous start last season and lack of fitness was one of the reasons for that. We need to get off to a better start this time round and I'm sure Ollie has everyone more organised. If Bailey is back to full fitness, then he gets my vote for captain.

• July 21, 2014 at 22:04

A good professional. Could be a big season for him, COYL

• July 22, 2014 at 00:23

Dunne definetly already proved his leadership qualities before the forest game. Didn't hear anybody else having the minerals. If not then woolford or Edwards.

• July 22, 2014 at 01:02

I tell you what. The line up for the 9th will be interesting. Be there!

• July 22, 2014 at 13:14

I see Ulloa has signed for Leicester - does that mean Wood is available?

• July 22, 2014 at 13:57

@RobsterK: I personally think that he's been available for a while at the right price. Problem is I don't think we're going to commit the bulk of our transfer budget on one player.

• July 22, 2014 at 15:03

@NICKOLA: he's too young and too good for us , oh and too expensive .

• July 22, 2014 at 19:29

As a professional footballer for our club you should always be as fit as possible its the very least we expect when parting with our money no footballer should ever be praised for it .
    Its a bit like getting off a bus and thanking the driver for not being p*****
    That said I think Bailey would make a good captain he seems to be a good organiser and talker in his midfield role it may help his short fuse if he knows he has to set an example as captain im sure Robbo will be a tough act to follow .
    I have never understood goalkeepers as captains and I don't think Dunn will feature in enough games and if it doesn't work out for Bailey at least he has his modeling to fall back on

• July 23, 2014 at 00:00

They all seem to bit a lot fitter or there trying harder to be at peak fitness(apart from shittu).it shouldn't take a new manager to come in for them to sort em out..that said lets see how they perform this year

• July 23, 2014 at 13:37

@Jim28: Hi Jim, New manager new training, diet & fitness regimes! Lomas was all about the ball work and no fitness hence when Holloway got hold of them with his fitness coach, all of their body fat was above what it should have been etc.

• July 23, 2014 at 09:07

HELLO, THIS AIN'T NO ORDINARY NEW MANGER. THIS IS LORD OLLI OF BERMONDSEY.

• July 23, 2014 at 09:28

Cardiff at home on the box, why not put us on when we are away, I hate it when we are on TV at home, having said that I think we have hardly ever made ourselves look like mugs in front of the cameras and usually put on a good show.
    Changing the subject for a sec, My band KALUKI are playing at the Bean Music Festival in Bean near Southfleet , Kent on Saturday along with 3-4 other bands to help raise money for the Kent Air Ambulance service and for Multiple sclerosis, it will be at the Black Horse Pub, we start around 5 ish so if any of you are local or just want a good afternoon of food, beer and some good Music Please come down and bring some loose change or paper money for 2 brilliant causes, come say Hello, I,m the little fat Turk singing his a*** off, ADVERT ALERT (we are great for any parties such as birthdays, weddings, Masonics and your ever diminishing working mans clubs). It would be great to see some Millwall Shirts there.